I just bough Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 (SE) on steam sale. I've never played Magic before, but I enjoy deck building games, so this seems like a nice, cheap way to try out the game.

My question is, is any of the DLC useful? For most part I don't even know what it does.
I understand that the deck keys just unlock decks early, you could get in the game anyway? But what do Foil Conversions do? Does it make the cards stronger, or what?
The expansion and deck pack seem more useful. But the deck pack only has 2 decks, but still costs 3/4 of the expansion which has 5 new decks as well as some other stuff. Are the decks exceptionally strong, or something?

I guess I just want some advice from someone who actually plays the game and has some idea what I might need or want later on.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I feel the same about these games with all the DLC, you feel like you're missing out without it, but at the same time you don't want to double you cost with DLC.

I bought Magic 2012: Gold instead, same $5 but has all the expansions and DLC included.

Will likely do the same for 2013 when it comes out with a Gold pack.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

1 decade ago

Thank you. I'll stay away from the unlocks and just get the expansion. I assume that the gradual unlocking of the cards will help me to learn all the cards better, then when I get a whole bunch all at once.

1 decade ago

Sakuko what you first want to do is enter all 10 promo codes, these will unlock 10 foil cards for 10 decks automatically and give you some really powerful cards. There are 2 deck dlcs for 2013 that give you new Decks, not foil conversions, actual decks that you can play. I would suggest those. 2013 expansion deck pack 1 and deck pack 1.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/671863-magic-the-gathering-duels-of-the-planeswalkers/63350388

1 decade ago

Nice tip, thank you.

1 decade ago

you'll find the promo code redemption page in game under extras, promo codes and then theres an arrow tab you click to get to it > > >

1 decade ago

It's actually not working for me. I find the extra option, but there are just two page-filling advertisements for some booster pack and some other promo. No promo codes options or anything. Could they be expired?

1 decade ago

From the main menu: Player Status -> View Promotional Unlocks (on the right, middle).

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Sakuko.