Before you are all like "why (profanity) are you using xp?" because my laptops USB ports are all broken and I have no way of backing up my data (within any reasonable time, IE network cable)

Anyway, with the recent influx of XCOM keys, there will probably be some of you who will want to be playing it on windows xp.
Well, lucky for you, there is one cool guy (who isn't me. I don't know .dll stuff) who made a custom .dll that allows you to play it.
The only reason it isn't compatible with windows xp as is, is because they used a few commands that are vista compatible only. The new .dll's make it work completely with xp.
So yeah, have fun playing XCOM.
And make sure it works with your graphics card and stuff, the only thing this changes is xp compatibility, not hardware compatibility.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2964408.html

Sorry for really bad grammar and formatting and stuff, I am bad at writing.

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I use xp instead of stupid 7. my gaems dont like 7

9 years ago

I used in XP64 and work fine, but with a pirate copy, when i bough on STEAM i can use the DLL to make it run on XP anymore and eventually install Win7 (is not bad has i tought). But i dont know if the DLL fix work with the lastet updates of the game.
The fix proccess involved the edit of the .exe file from XCOM with a HEX-Editor, to call the new DLL instead or the KERNEL32.dll from XP. The .exe modified file dont work with STEAM (at least for me), that mean no achivment no trading cards and no MP.

9 years ago

Well I'd rather play the game :P

9 years ago

There is also a better and easier option: 1. install GNU/Linux 2. install steam 3. just play :-)

9 years ago

very funny...

9 years ago

It wasn't a joke. The effort to run X-Com 6 on winxp is pretty high (I did it too until there was a Linux port) adn you have to repeat most of it each time the game gets updated (which isn't too often nowadays but happens anyway), on the other hand installing Linux is pretty easy and apart from the game running you get an awesome operating system too.

9 years ago

+1 You are right.
Linux is a thousand times better than Windows for obvious reasons.

9 years ago

How to run XCOM: Enemy Unknown in Win XP SP3

Windows XP SP3 (sic!)

guys calm down, nobody asks how to run it on Linux ;)

9 years ago

Erm - did something change with Win XP lately? Cause when I was playing XCOM 1-1.5 year ago I think I was still running XP and ran game just fine o.O heck even managed to fight off invasion ;p

9 years ago

Since the beginning you had to hack the exe file in oder to run XCom 6 on winxp.

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.