Hey, does anyone use a nVidia geforce GTX 660 Ti SLI? (SLI = 2 same cards)

If so, can they say their performance on high end games? :3 Thinking of buying a new gaming PC

---FreeFury---

EDIT: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=971&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=6

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Always buy single video cards, Only resort to SLI if you have 3+ monitor set-ups

1 decade ago

Uh, no, as far as I know multi-monitor set ups are prone to problems with multi-GPU solutions.

At least, that was the last I heard - haven't really checked back on that, but I'd suggest a strong single GPU for Eyefinity/Surround versus SLI/Crossfire for multi-monitor play.

As for SLI, you should notice a difference in games - but definitely not worth the price difference in my opinion. It all boils down to game and driver optimization.

1 decade ago

ummm no @Mduh

1 decade ago

What? Thats not necessarily true. For example, I used to mine a lot so i had a quad 6950 set up. In large resolutions or even for >1 monitor, SLI/Crossfire does help.

1 decade ago

SLI/CFX Is wasting money, 2 Cards doesn't translate to 200% performance and so on.

I tried it before and I was not happy. That's why I said stick to single cards as much as possible.

1 decade ago

Its not 100% but its big enough for it to matter. Plus, I run 3x 27" 2560x1440 monitors. Without an SLI setup, I'll get 5 fps.

1 decade ago

and that's why I said its better to get SLI for 3+ monitors

also CFX/SLI are a hit or miss

sometimes performance goes 180% max, but most of the time, I get a disappointing 125% performance

1 decade ago

Or >1 monitor really.

As someone who owns multiple multicard setups, (4x 6950 for mining), 3x 670, and I used to own 2x 580s, unless the game is poorly optimized with poor driver support, it tends to be 175 for two cards and 75-80 for each additional card.

1 decade ago

Comes down to preference. Most people say its best to have a single powerful card over two weaker cards mainly because scaling is not 100% perfect but power consumption and heat is.

What is your need for duel 660 ti's? 4+ monitors?

1 decade ago

Why would you run only two for 4+ monitors? You would get less than optimal framerate with that, especially with only 660 Tis.

In that setup, you would want 2x 7970 as a minimum for high/ultra settings and probably 3x 670/680/7970.

1 decade ago

I dont believe I stated he should with 4+ monitors, run using just 2 660tis. Just asked why he wants to sli or a 680.

1 decade ago

I see. He probably wants to go with a multimonitor setup or some sort of large resolution screen.

1 decade ago

That was the assumption, however we dont know for sure. He could, for all we know, want a 680 to run a 17in monitor, which of course would be overkill and rather pointless for strictly gaming. Maybe he wants them to mine for bitcoins or to fold. We dont know either way until he tells us.

1 decade ago

If you want to mine coins, you go 7970s.

But yes, we do need to know what he wants to do.

1 decade ago

Yes, anything involving the use processing would be best served on a 79 series card over a nvidia card.

1 decade ago

ha, i'am here, sorry i had school :3 but yeah, i have 2 screens ^^

1 decade ago

what the heck is bit coin mining? never heard that before

1 decade ago

I recommend getting the non-SLI card instead.

1 decade ago

Pretty much the 660 ti is good enough as is, did you get the 2 gig msi oc ed? If you wanna get a great performance then just stick with a 680 better, more power, and a heck of allot cheaper.

1 decade ago

Average price on a 680 - 470.
Average price on a 660TI - 300

Quick search shows SLI'd 660tis getting a 50% performance gain over a 680. So price/performance ratio is better with the dual 660tis.

1 decade ago

yeah, that does work . . . I've just seen 680s down to the same price as 660 ti's at ncix. . .

1 decade ago

Well of course if you can find a killer deal then get it. But at the listed prices price/performances is better with the 660tis. If I could get a 680 for 300 Id snap it up, and at that price, if you had the money, cooling, and PSU for it, sli'd 680's would be the way to go.

Best price I can see on a new 680 is 450. Even on a refurb/open box, im not sure a GTX 680 would be 300 dollars.

1 decade ago

yeah . . . me too.

1 decade ago

Why 680? 670 is within 5% of 680 while being ~ 100$ cheaper. 7970 performs better in many situations and is also 100$ cheaper.

1 decade ago

680's are on sale more.

1 decade ago

Not really. These days, 670s are pretty much at the 300$ (or above) mark, and so are 7970s. No matter where you look, the 680 is still substantially more expensive than the 670/7970.

1 decade ago

lol where do you get a 7970 @ 300's?

Lowest I can get here is 399$

1 decade ago

I exaggerated.

330$ after MIR

1 decade ago

Don't do SLI, you will get microstuttering, I get it and I HATE it, it makes my 45 fps game look like 20 fps.

1 decade ago

Its not that bad really. My tri 670s doesn't have much microstuttering.

1 decade ago

Only 2 cards have microstuttering, I searched up that if you add a third card microstuttering just magically disappears.

1 decade ago

I owned 2x 580s before, it wasn't that bad either. I still think that its dependent on luck really.

1 decade ago

might have to do with your mobo.

1 decade ago

Got an ASUS mobo, I doubt it :)

1 decade ago

2*Gigabyte GTX470 SOC
no problems at all, ever

1 decade ago

In this situation, it would be better to get one card like an 670 or 7970 since its certainly cheaper and if you are just running one monitor, those are fine. If you run multimonitor, the 7970 would be better anyways.

1 decade ago

SLI gives you an increase of 80-95% on every card from the GTX 500 series and up. (drivers play an important part in the actual performance and gain but judging from personal experience my FPS has doubled on all of my games, ranging from old to new ones), i.e. if you're getting 60 FPS on a game, with SLI enabled should give you a solid ~120FPS.

Now there's a phenomenon called "micro-stuttering" that occurs with SLI enabled. This is very much real, despite many claims that it isn't and is caused by an uneven distribution of frames. Theoretically it should be for the most part unnoticeable if you're running a game at 120 fps, if you can't spot the difference between 45 FPS and 60 FPS, Micro-stuttering shouldn't be noticable for you at 60FPS. For the most part it comes down to how trained your eyes are, if you have a keen eye Micro-stuttering will be a huge issue for you. Sidenote: If you own a 120hz can help with the tearing caused by micro-stuttering which in turn might make the experience more enduring.

The only way to combat Micro-Suttering by running a game at 60/120FPS or alternatively buy an additional card (3-way SLI) which will eliminate any trace of Micro-stuttering.

Another thing not commonly known is running SLI can fry your MOBO/PSU depending on your hardware.
If your MOBO got a Molex connector and your PSU is Single-railed, you should be relatively safe from this occurrence. (!This is a hypothesis, if you want a more detailed explanation around this read my reply to @PPG113 below.)

Also make sure the air flow is good in your Chassi, you'll notice a substantial increase of heat especially if the space between the PCI-Slots are close to each-other.

Here are the benchmarks for GTX 660 TI SLI.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-benchmark-review,3279-10.html

I'd recommend buying a more powerful Single-card. Or buy one GTX 660 TI, and save up the dough to buy two more when your budget allows it.

1 decade ago

"Another thing not commonly known is running SLI can fry your MOBO/PSU depending on your hardware. If your MOBO got a Molex connector and your PSU is Single-railed, you should be completely safe from this occurrence."

Proof/logic behind this? Frying a PSU by running far in excess of its rating which then frys the mobo? Also, what use is the aux molex connector serving if the cards you run use their own aux power connectors?

1 decade ago

Many people with enthusiast computers with high-powered SLI video nowadays are having a meltdown of one or two pins on their 24-pin ATX mainboard power connector (actually one of those pins is on the 4-pin add-on plug, or one could call it the 20+4 pin plug), particularly pins 10 and 11 (+12V). This has only begun happening since high-end video cards have started drawing a lot of power - like those that draw >100W. Said video cards have extra power connectors on them, which must be used to supplement the video card power, but apparently they are not supplying enough extra power in all these cases. It doesn't help that the sockets that carry this current have to be made very cheaply, meaning the manufacturers cannot afford very good quality control for them. And I have not seen any that are gold-plated for better conductivity/lower resistance. EVGA has issued a "powerboost" PCIe cable, that plugs in to a 4-pin molex power connector from your PSU, and into any available PCIe slot, to help mitigate this melting 24-pin ATX plug problem.

This affects all motherboards designed for SLI/Xfire except those with the extra 4-pin molex plug(s) added for PCIe auxiliary power.

Reasoning (logic behind my hypothesis)

The root of this problem lies in the way electricity moves, and the use of plugs not designed to withstand such electrical current. The video cards draw 12V power primarily, and this power is available through both the PCIe bus and the extra card power plugs (6-8 pin). But electricity will follow the path of least resistance, thus meaning if a bad connection exists on the 6-8 pin plugs it will flow more from the PCIe bus, which in turn comes from the 24 pin ATX power plug - +12V pins 10 and 11. So bad connections could cause this problem, and I am not referring to the 24 pin plug exclusively. But all this theory assumes that the voltages supplied to each plug are exactly equal!

Present day consumer computer power supply units (PSUs) are made quite cheaply due to market competition. As you may know, the cheap units are generally much less reliable than the more expensive ones (there are exceptions). And most PSUs that are rated more than 650W use multiple "rails." These are basically separate circuits of the same general voltage. The single-rail units are generally significantly more expensive, and thus most consumers buy the multi-rail PSUs. I could get into a discussion here of the advantages/disadvantages of a single-rail PSU, but that's another subject. Each rail contains its own current limiters and regulators. These components are not perfectly matched, nor professionally adjusted to an exact voltage, thus each rail can vary a bit in voltage output. This is fine in many cases, but in the case that the voltage is higher on the primary rail, this means more of the amperage supplied to the video cards is likely to come through the 24 pin connector! What's more, the voltage supplied is likely to drop slightly as current draw increases. Thus when the video cards begin to gulp power the voltage on their rails drops slightly, meaning more amperage is likely to be drawn through the 24 pin ATX connector at that point. Also, any loose sockets on the video cards plugs will cause additional resistance on that circuit, also causing more current draw from the 24 pin ATX connector instead.

Therefore, if a power supply is used that has a bit higher voltage on the main rail as opposed to the video rails, it is more likely to melt the 24 pin ATX connector. This means you can measure the likelihood of your system being highly susceptible to this occurrence. I suggest you measure the voltage on pins 10 and 11, and then on pins 1, 2, and 3 of the PCIe power plug. Pins 1, 2, and 3 should be almost exactly the same voltage. Compare these to pins 10 & 11 voltage, exactly. If 10 and 11 are higher, you have a high-risk of contracting the melted 24-pin ATX plug problem (theoretically). Variations of just 0.02V should be ignored, such small voltage differences could be caused by voltage changes in the time between moving your probes, and probably also beyond the accuracy of your instrument. In my opinion it would take more like 0.05 or 0.1V differences to be significant. Voltage measurements can be made using just about any black wire on the 24-pin plug for ground (a.k.a. 0V), always use the same one for every measurement you report. Measurements may differ during different load conditions, such as CPU load vs SRAM load vs graphics load; and component temperatures may change the readings as well.

tl;dr version

This affects all motherboards designed for SLI/Xfire except those with the extra 4-pin molex plug(s) added for PCIe auxiliary power, if a power supply is used that has a bit higher voltage on the main rail as opposed to the video rails, it is more likely to melt the 24 pin ATX connector. If you have a single-rail PSU you should be less likely to have the melted 24-pin ATX plug problem if this hypothesis proves true, since your voltage measurements at all +12V points should theoretically be exactly the same except very slightly lower where a lot of power is flowing. The extension of this theory is if your 24-pin ATX plug pins 10 & 11 are at least 0.1V under your PCIe plug voltages, you should never have the melted 24-pin plug problem.

1 decade ago

don't do sli because of some games have compatibility issues with games, I'd get a GTX 670 256 bit card instead of the 2x GTX 660 Ti 192 bit card.

1 decade ago

my friend just bought the 2gb version, in replacement of the GTX 560i. he loves it. It also came with AC3 (non steam) and Borderlands 2(steam)
take that for what it's worth

1 decade ago

Prices may vary, but at my local shop, a 660ti is around 300€ (give or take 20 depending on brand), so two of them will run you 600€ and add some of the issues that are common with SLi (stuttering, more power draw, more heat, etc)

A 680 is 500€ and has none of those issues, and I'd bet isn't much of a drop in performance.

Not that it matters as my computer can run everything except Metro at 1080, ultra settings, 60+ FPS, and I have only a 560ti.
I might upgrade in the near future though, in the interest of getting 3 monitor surround working in games.

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by FreeFury.