Hello :D
Some time ago, I've had a similar thread, where I've asked about which phone should I buy, but back then I wasn't having that much of a money, I was just looking for suggestions. Now, while I do have 300€, I don't really feel like spending that much money on a phone if it ain't gonna impress me, but I've already gotten my Huawei Y300 to the point where it's unusable, so I need a change.

I'm not really interested in huge phones(OnePlus One, Zenphone etc..), they can be tall for all I care, but I want to be able to hold them in one hand properly so I guess their width should be lesser. Width of Galaxy S3(71mm) is kinda the limit, so any more of that and phone is out of question, so the less the better.
Phones I've found interesting:

• HTC One M7 (Still kinda big, but it's got less width than S3)
  • HTC One Mini 2, a little bit cheaper than M7, nearly the same specs, does anyone know how does Mini 2's camera compare to M7s? And, does the screen stretch itself and crack on sides like it did with One Mini?
  • Galaxy S5 Mini (I hate touchwiz, and specs are just meh..)
  • Xperia Z1 compact (probably best phone, but it self-cracks, and I don't want to risk that).
    Those are like my top ones.

I'm mostly looking for a phone with good camera quality both on front and rear camera, but getting a expensive phone with bad specs would be waste. xD

It would be great if you could answer me the question in htc one mini 2s listing I've written, and if you could vote for the best phone from that list, or recommend me other phone if you know some.

Gibbawwayz:
hardest puzzle ever
bonus hidden giveaway

9 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Which phone should I pick, mostly based on camera, but specs count too?

View Results
HTC One M7
HTC One Mini 2
Galaxy S5 Mini
Xperia Z1 Compact

I can use my Oneplus One onehanded without problems. (You just need to get used to it :D)
definately the best phone in your price range.

9 years ago

Well, I don't know really, I haven't had that many phones, or smartphones in particular so I can't compare properly. I've used PhoneArena's size comparison, and it seems just way too huge. I love to run, jump and do all kinds of things, and phone that huge just wouldn't fit in the pocket. :r
But yeah, i know it's got the beast specs, so does the new Zenphone :(

9 years ago

It's a bit of a pain if you've got small pockets or tight jeans but it's great for web browsing and general use. I don't know if I could ever go back to a small/standard sized screen now (previous phone was an iPhone 4).

I can use the phone fairly comfortably with one hand but tend to use two hands, partly for extra support and also because it's easier. I have fairly large hands too, someone with smaller hands may have to stretch a bit more which could be an issue.

9 years ago

I thought the OPO was too big, too... until I started carrying it around with my HTC One M7. Once I got used to typing accurately on the OPO, my typing went to hell on the M7 LOL! As a woman, my hands are smaller than a man's, and I don't have TOO much trouble with the OPO. The speed and the screen tho... superb. Worth the little hassle for me.

9 years ago

I'm so tempted by it, but just can't imagine how it could be easily used one-handed. I have the LG G2 right now, which is slightly smaller than the OnePlus One, and sometimes when I'm reaching my thumb all the way to the upper-left side of the screen, part of my palm touches the right side of the screen which registers as a touch and messes things up. The OnePlus One is 0.2" wider, so that's got to make it worse.

9 years ago

That's quite difficult to decide. I'd probably go for either the HTC One M7 due to the screen size, or the Galaxy S5, as I have an S4 and that is a very good phone indeed. But to be honest I am no guru with phones, so mine probably isn't the best advice to go off. :/

9 years ago

Yeah probably. One Mini 2 doesn't impress me in anyway, except that it's just a bit thinner than the M7.
Touchwiz is pretty much the only thing keeping me away from their phones.. it's just plain ugly and slow..

9 years ago

buy wp ;)

9 years ago

Windows phone? Which one?
But I've recently started making games for android so.. dunno.

9 years ago

Buy Lumia 830 or 735 and wait for w10. But wp8.1 is also great, smooth, fast, simple.

9 years ago

+

9 years ago

i have lumia 735, beafore i have luma 620, i really like this phones

9 years ago

but if you need android a think you should buy Meizu or Xiaomi, this two i think best price/cost android phone brands

9 years ago

I think, you should buy Xperia Z1 Compact

9 years ago

I really want to, but.. I've read so many bad reviews because of it's self cracking screen, and that it ain't covered by warranty. It's really risky.

9 years ago

So What do you think about HTC One?
But it haven't memory card slot (I think) :/

9 years ago

Since I'm not a guy who hoards lots of apps on the phone, or keeps all of his photos on the phone, even 16 GB is enough for me, but this version I have available is 32 GB. So it's definitely not an issue.
Well, specs related, I think it's around 4 times faster than huawei Y300, so damn, it's gotta be nice to have all that fluid transitions and whatever.
Camera, I don't know, i'm not that impressed with Ultrapixels, but they should be fine.
It's definitely one of the best looking phones, and I like the fact that buttons ain't on screen, I just wish it was smaller... like if there was a smaller non boom speaker version, since I don't have that much use of it.

9 years ago

Why would you want a phone? Buy a chainsaw instead. You can get decent chainsaw for that money.

9 years ago

I forgot to think outside of the box. Thanks ! :D

9 years ago

Just look at this sexy thing: AWWW YISSSS

9 years ago

Ho lee fook. It even has greenworks, is that the other name for nvidia's gameworks ? xD

9 years ago

It's another name for "OH MY GOD JUST LOOK AT THAT MAN WITH THE CHAINSAW JUST LOOK AT HIM I CANNOT HANDLE HIS RAW ANIMAL MAGNETISM".

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

9 years ago

From the listed ones: HTC One M7

9 years ago

Xiaomi Mi4

9 years ago

Well the one I've found, costs a bit less than 500€ here. :/
Thanks tho.

9 years ago

wow, its $29X on the xiaomi web

9 years ago

I recently bought Xiaomi Mi3 and I am very pleased with it. You can get the 64GB version for less than 300 USD:

http://www.to2c.com/xiaomi/mi-phone/xiaomi-mi3.html

Here is a good review about the Mi3:

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_3-review-1115.php

9 years ago

Thank you. I'll check it out.

9 years ago

the most hidden ga that i have even see... hard to find.

9 years ago

I'm just way too tired to even bother with puzzles, and since I haven't made a giveaway in a while, just decided to make it open for all the folks who happen to pass by, by making it ultra hidden. xD

9 years ago

very veeeeery ultra ;)

9 years ago

how about Xiaomi MI3?

9 years ago

Already recommended, incl. Mi4, i'll check what's it like, but it kinda seems to good to be true. And for some reason it's ultra overpriced here at my place, I guess i'd have to get it from somewhere else, if I choose it.

9 years ago

The Asus Zenphone 2, it's coming out in this period:
http://www.asus.com/Phones/ZenFone_2_ZE551ML/

Avoid the S5 mini. :)

9 years ago

I know it's coming out, I've mentioned it in the thread, but it's way too big, I wouldn't be able to use it comfortably.
And, why avoid S5 mini, is there some issue with it that I'm unaware of, or simply bad phone?

9 years ago

Well the s5 mini is too expensive for what it has to offer and there are better phones for the range, plus touchwiz and lollipop that might never come (but here I'm just being negative).

Another alternative could be the LG G2, but it's quite large as well :o For a compact phone, I guess the Sony Zs are the ones to choose even if they are extremely expensive >_>

9 years ago

Indeed, it really seems like any other mini galaxy..
I'll check the LG G2.
Yeah, Sony's Z line is rather expensive..

9 years ago

Nexus 5 or newest HTC One at that price.

9 years ago

M8 or M9?
Even the M8 is around 400€..
Nexus 5, I've seen it, checked way too many times, and something just keeps pushing me away from it. :/

9 years ago

Nexus 5 is awesome. I can speak from my experience. No more shitty pre-installed apps. It runs buttery smooth and to be honest, looks smexy.

9 years ago

I have the LG G2 32gb for 3 months now. Great phone

9 years ago

Oneplus One. Best phone you can get. It isn't as large as a Note or iPhone 6 plus, but it's larger than a galaxy. It's got pretty much the best hardware out of any phone out there and it comes pre-rooted. Oneplus is also developing their own in house android os, so fingers crossed it comes out good.

9 years ago

Aliexpress is having a electronic sale event if you want to check that out, they have some nice phones.

9 years ago

OMFG, Thanks a lot man! HTC One M7 comes up at 250$ on Alia Express, incl. shipping. Is this for real?
Is Aliaexpress like Ebay, or Amazon? I know I've heard of it.. but never really checked anything on it..

9 years ago

yes its real.
its like amazon marketplace but there are almost only chinese sellers
it will be shipped from china or hong kong so it depends if in your country taxes will be added or not.
Delivery time is sometimes 14days.
and if you need warranty, you need to send it back to china.

9 years ago

So is this one legit, like original and should be working fine, stuff like that? I've never seen this much of a sale for phone on any site ever. Also, there are so many listings for this phone.. which one should I pick? One that comes from user with highest rating or something ?

9 years ago

the one you linked is refurbished so its not a brand new phone thats why its cheaper.
and yes choose by ratings and article description.
and like I said, be careful with import taxes you might need to pay.

9 years ago

Meh, so if that's not an original (I meant new, sorry), I guess I'll be better off picking it from a store from around here, right ? It's 630 BAM ~ 320€ but I wouldn't have to pay for shipping or import taxes.

9 years ago

Added to explain.

9 years ago

If you prefer the HTC One Mini 2 to the S5 Mini then go for that. Otherwise S5 mini, specs may be a bit meh, but so is everything else in that list.

9 years ago

check Meizu or Xiaomi phones i'd suggest. Top performance for rather low budget (sub 300$) (i'd suggested oneplus one but its too large for you)

9 years ago

Xperia Z1 Compact

9 years ago

just got 2 z3 compacts recently both work great with no issues at all and damn that phone looks so good....

but since your limited to 1 i highly recommend it great phone + i didnt see anyone having problems withem....(many of my relatives come to me to buy new phones i used to sell phones before)

+

they may look good but i would stay away from chines brands like meizu/xiaomi/etc .... even in huawei case i only recommend highend ones ....

9 years ago

I know, they seem rather fishy with all the 8 MP front cameras and what not. Still.. so many people recommend them, so I couldn't just ignore it.

Oh and, thanks, I was really sceptical about it's quality.. I wonder why their screens crack by itself :r Maybe faulty phones or something, who knows..

9 years ago

to be honest i never saw any sony phone after z1 faulty out of box or cracked or dead after somtimes (yes i saw some xperia Z phones dead we call them "OFF" mostly because of motherboard issues) .... and i say you that much sony here in my country have a huge customer base so there are lots of sony devices being bought here mostly because of premiumness of sony highends and their good battery life ....

anyway i cant guarantee you an uncrackable xperia z1c but i recommend the phone itself .....(and if you can i recommend z3c even more)

9 years ago

Oh, well I guess each country, even the city or whatever has like mainstreamed phone. Yes, they indeed feel premium, and holy damn, that smooth and responsive screen..

I saw Z3C, and thought of getting it, but I saw it's got the same issues, and all Z phones are nearly identical, so paying around 100€ more isn't something I wanted to do.

9 years ago

I voted for HTC One M7 since you said you didn't want the Z1 and i hate the others!

9 years ago

If I were you I would buy the cheapest one and would save the rest of the money. But I am not you, and I am not programming for Android :| I can't help you more than that, I have a cheap Chinese brand mobile with a shitty camera.

9 years ago

Choosing phone right now has got to do the least with programming, since I'm just learning, and making those simple games like you'd see at ketchapp games.
I was thinking of that, but I've been collecting money for this, and there ain't anything else that I could need right now, so I'd like to get a better phone. :D
It doesn't matter, thanks for reading :3

9 years ago

I trust Sony and their products my vote goes for Xperia Z1 Compact:)

9 years ago

Best phone you can get in this price range will be Nexus 5. Nothing else ;p

9 years ago

If you have the time you should wait a bit until Microsoft releases the new higher end phones.
But it might be at the same time Windows 10 is released. So might take some time.
But the 930 is also incredibly good.

The Lumia 640 XL is decent but too cheap i guess.

9 years ago

Wanted to get 930 just by seeing it's camera and it's gorgeous design. But I don't know, it's above my budget limit and limiting myself to Win8.1/10 isn't something I'd like to do. :(

9 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the limitations. I'm not missing anything at all, except one game that my friends play. But then again, there are some windows phone games that are not available on adroid.

Oh and windows 10 is coming in the summer, universal apps.

9 years ago

mmm I disagree, windows phones are great, but I wouldn't spend more than 200€ on them, they have quite a few annoiances I wouldn't invest that much on them ^^ a Lumia 535 o 730? Awesome phones, a Lumia 930? Great (I want it) but I'd never pay 400€ for it :)

9 years ago

What do you find annoying?
I have the lumia 1020 and it's fine. Even a phone that is relatively old plays all the games and runs smooth. Sometimes it hangs a bit and I guess it's got a little outdated hardware. but hey, you pay for the camera. (Which is still the best on the market)

Any OS has weird things. Using an iPhone you need to press all the corners of the phone. WP you can only use your thumb. Android I don't really know but there are hundreds of different androids so I can't say much about it. :P

9 years ago

• the mail client sucks and you can't even attach files or pdfs, just images
  • ie crashes a lot and there are no alternative browsers (and when there are are just based on ie)
  • Apps work worse than their android/ios counterparts, like skype it's clunky and often misses notifications
  • all around lack of apps even if the base ones are there
  • google being a dick and stopping development on wp apps like waze
  • Pdf readers crash with large files
  • Want to share an image on telegram of whatapp? cool save it first and then send it from the app instead of just clicking oin the share button

Those are just the firsts I can think of, I have a lumia 920, I've spent 300€ on it I love the camera but I'm not sure I'd buy it again. ^^

9 years ago

Ah allright,

I have to agree with some of them yes. :P

It all comes down to preference and what you need.

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.