As we know, here are a lot of anti Epic Games people, so if you're one of them, please don' show your hate toward the company here. Maybe you are right, but this discussion is not about that, This thread is for those interested in the technology. Thanks!

"Unreal Engine 5 will be available in preview in early 2021, and in full release late in 2021, supporting next-generation consoles, current-generation consoles, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android."
"One of our goals in this next generation is to achieve photorealism on par with movie CG and real life"

"Film-quality source art comprising hundreds of millions or billions of polygons can be imported directly into Unreal Engine—anything from ZBrush sculpts to photogrammetry scans to CAD data—and it just works. Nanite geometry is streamed and scaled in real time so there are no more polygon count budgets, polygon memory budgets, or draw count budgets; there is no need to bake details to normal maps or manually author LODs; and there is no loss in quality"

See the impressive tech demo running on Playstation 5 and find some more info here.

Edit: There is also an interview done by Geoff Keighley with three of the brains behind the engine (skip to the 40th minute mark for that)

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Sounds cool, until they don't create EULA for their engine which disallows releasing games created with that engine on other platforms. UE4 was pretty nice too. Decent engine.

4 years ago

oh wow... that's truly impressive, really looks real.
guess you'll need an huge monster to run such games, tho... but that's just my problem :D

thanks for sharing, atti

4 years ago

You're welcome. The demo runs on Playstation 5, so probably the equivalent hardware will give similar results on PC and I guess it will be scalable down to not so monster PCs.

Edit: There is also an interview done by Geoff Keighley with three of the brains behind the engine (skip to the 40th minute mark for that)

4 years ago*

This thread is for those interested in the technology.

Can't stop me. Egs is shit and their practices are shit. UE 3 is responsible for making a whole generation look and age like ass and UE 4 looks like a blurry vhs tape movie at anything below 1440p.

4 years ago*

Can't stop me. Egs is shit and their practices are shit. UE 3 is responsible for making a whole generation look and age like ass and UE 4 looks like a blurry mess at anything below 1440p.

Nobody is trying to stop you, it was a friendly request to focus on the technology. Also, the new technology solves your disappointments with previous releases of the engine, which I might add, are not completely accurate.

4 years ago

The arms race for photorealism is so boring. Stuff like Cuphead will graphically age better then any AAA game of last decade. I really wish there was more focus into truly creative usage of advancing tech.

4 years ago

Why not both? Photorealism is something I definitely want to see done to perfection at some point. At the same time I enjoy more creative art styles like Cuphead or Ori (Will of the Wisps might be the most beautiful game of all time).

And even AAA games can age well (see Mirror's Edge).

4 years ago

Great now we'll all need at least a RTX 2080 and i7 cpu minimum in order to get playable framerates for this new engine.

4 years ago

Pretty sure not every game will have real time like graphics like that shown in the demo, but the same assets will run way better with the new engine compared with UE4.

4 years ago

Better, newer engine might mean better optimization and therefore a better performance, but yeah... not sure how well it might perform on older systems. I guess time will tell.

4 years ago

I remember when UE4 came out it felt like all games using it ran terribly. Was it because most people didn't have adequate video cards or because the devs didn't know how to optimize it properly? Maybe both? Seems like it took a few years for the hardware to catch up. Even today some games using UE4 don't run all that well. I can't think of many games that ran amazingly on UE4 back then.

4 years ago

I, you know, actually, you know, do, you know, not, you know, care.

4 years ago

Linux support . why there is no support for Linux in 2021. other than that we will see, when more demos and the release.

4 years ago

and it just works

Now where have I heard this before...

Jokes aside, that's super cool. UE4 already had tons of untapped potential, so I can't begin to imagine how far UE5 will bring us in terms of computer generated graphics in games (and possibly other medias).

4 years ago

It's incredible tech, but I worry what it'll mean for file sizes.

4 years ago

It looks great.

Film-quality source art comprising hundreds of millions or billions of polygons can be imported directly into Unreal Engine

I guess the time to need a dedicated Multi-Terabyte HDD per single game is near :).

4 years ago

welp, i still hate the epic store (for lack of features), but UE is a gaming stable
yes the demo is impressive, but i want to see it on the current-gen console
guess its about time to upgrade that SSD

4 years ago

Damn I'm already struggling to run new games. this will just blow up my PC

But looks cool though

4 years ago

Meh.... if it comes out 2021 we probably won't see games made with it until 2022?

4 years ago

Will the engine help to make assets quicker, help devs crunch less.. be able to implement some machine learning or just.. double the time to make a rubble?

4 years ago

Yeah... remember that tech demo from Square Enix from years ago, 2020 and no game looks that good still, these tech demos take a long, long time to translate into anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpDdOIZy-4k

4 years ago*

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.