So, here we are. 2020 is finally coming to an end. It has been a rough year for most of the world. Rather than flying cars and hover-boards, all we got was disasters and pandemics. I'm sure we are all looking forward to a brighter year ahead, and providing the vaccinations keep rolling out then fingers crossed things might start returning to normality, to some extent at least.

Anyway, before we look forward to 2021, I'm curious to hear what you have been playing and enjoying in 2020. What were your favourite games this year? The game release date does not matter and any platform is fine, not just Steam.

For me personally, my outstanding games of the year were:

1. Katana ZERO (released 2019)
    Fluid, fast-paced action with fantastic pixel art. It's quite short, I finished the main story in about 8 hours total, but you unlock some other modes that are worth playing. Tight controls, which are absolutely essential for this katana-wielding action, complemented by a fantastic soundtrack and some of the best pixel-art I've seen - hell there's even a decent story behind it all too. This has received Overwhelmingly Positive reviews and absolutely deserves it. Here's a short trailer to give you an idea of the look and feel of the game:

2. Into The Breach (released 2018)
    A very close second place and another phenomenal indie game. This one totally took me by surprise. I watched the trailer and thought it looked like a nice strategy battle game, and I liked the style (same team that made FTL). But this consumed my life for a few months and I didn't want to play anything else. The game mechanics and objectives are simple in design but have a lot of depth when you get into it. Great variety of different units make re-playing the story a completely new experience. I ended up unlocking and completing it to 100% and loving every minute of it. I clocked up over 180 hours in a few months. Amazing game, I just hope there will be a sequel or DLC one day. It completely deserves the current rating it has on Steam with "Overwhelmingly Positive" reviews. I cannot recommend this enough, and so I decided to purchase a few copies to give away here. Here's a trailer for those interested to see the game running.

3. Red Dead Redemption 2 (released 2018/2019)
    I completely forgot to add this to my list originally, because I played and finished it on the PS4 earlier this year, but was looking at my Steam games library when I made this thread. So yes, Red Dead 2 is firstly one of the most graphically impressive games I've played, and secondly the slow-paced story and character building is wonderful. Although it got mostly excellent reviews, I did hear some complaints about how long and slow it is. I can imagine those are GTA players who were expecting something similar from Rockstar. Honestly the slow nature of the game is perfect, it really lets you take everything in, explore and do things in your own time. There are countless side quests and places to adventure, hunting to do, unique characters just sat out camping in the middle of nowhere, rare horses to ride, crimes in progress to stop or ignore... the list could go on. All the while the world is filled with great background music that fits the situation, and again the beautiful environments are really something else. Once again, this has Overwhelmingly Positive reviews on Steam, as you'd expect.

4. Prey (released 2017)
    Excellent game all round. Great story and music, voice acting and characters, environments, skill tree, and most importantly a variety of ways to tackle certain situations and make choices. Along with a good selection of weapons and unique powers, I liked the fact that the game allowed me to take on objectives in different ways. Need the key to get through the door? Find the body and get the key, or use a glue gun to form makeshift steps and go through the ceiling tiles, or maybe use a special ability to transform yourself into a nearby object like a cup and wobble in through the small gap! One of the best FPS games I have played. I'd say this was on par with how I felt when I finished Half Life 2. Maybe this is the HL3 I wanted

If you feel like leaving a little review of games that made a big impression on you this year, please do!

Right then. Giveaways:

Level 1 & 0.2 ratio
Crazy Belts

Level 1 & 0.5 ratio
Beat Hazard 2
Pinstripe

Level 4 & 0.5 ratio
XIII - Classic
Blood and Gold: Caribbean!

Level 4 & 0.75 ratio
Think of the Children
Death Squared

Level 4 & 1.0 ratio
Rain of Reflections: Set Free
Basingstoke
The Adventure Pals
Into The Breach

Level 4 & 1.25 ratio
Holy Potatoes! What the Hell?!
Sigma Theory: Global Cold War
Earthlock
Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code
Into The Breach

Level 4 & 1.5 ratio
Into The Breach
Katana ZERO

Stay safe and have a good winter holiday.

3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I played Prey last year and I loved it, too. Really nice game. This year there wasn't any real top game for me. If I need to choose the best three out of the ~40 games I played this year they would be DX:MD which had an interesting story and I liked that there were multiple solutions most of the time, X-Morph: Defense surprisingly good tower defense game where you play as the alien invader and Titan Quest Anniversary Edition a nice hack and slay which I already played back in 2006/2007 (the original titan quest game) but now with new dlcs there's more content and I really enjoyed playing it again.

3 years ago*

Deus Ex MD is still on my backlog. I bought it ages ago, forgot about it, bought it again in another sale and realised I already had it, and have yet again forgotten about it. Maybe I should make that my Christmas holiday game to sit down and actually play!

3 years ago

it is not good at the deus ex human revolution but it is playable

3 years ago

3 years ago

I did play the original HL and HL2, and playing Black Mesa surprised me at how god damn difficult they made it! Good fun but way more difficult than the origin games.

3 years ago

god damn difficult

yep, I gave up soon after beating fluking the lobby, and getting part-way through the open areas. Original HL was never frustrating.

3 years ago

First of all, thank you for GA.♪ヽ(=´Θ`=)ノ♪

I would like to play ”Into The Breach”. I am happy to be able to apply.ヽ(・Θ・)ノ ♪
But why don't I have it?┐(´Θ`)┌
Probably due to sudden errands, physical condition and unhappiness.
However, there will definitely be a bad habit of "stacking games".
I feel that the stock has increased sharply from this time just a year ago ...
(I'm staring at the library)

Is it something I've been playing for a year and remembered?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/240720/Getting_Over_It_with_Bennett_Foddy/
To the world of penance and enlightenment. Is it 50 round trips? Yes. Did.
It's embarrassing, so there are also all private play videos.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/246620/Plague_Inc_Evolved/
I was playing from March to April.
Now it is replacing reality.( ・Θ・).;'.、
However, it is a good game in terms of preparation.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/360740/Downwell/
I was playing around June.
It's short, but it was good to feel like playing.
But hard mode is a completely different world.

Of course I play a lot of other games.
However, when I thought about "giving it to someone else to play with", I thought that this area would be good.😄

3 years ago

I've only played Downwell from those, but I enjoyed it. Cheers!

3 years ago

Thanks and have a bump!

3 years ago

I wonder if there is an easy way to see the games we played this year.

edit.

The Walking Dead - Season 1

---- I didn't play other seasons and I probably won't because I don't want to play without Lee ;( But the first season was... simply amazing. Ninjas were cutting a lot of onions on this one.

11-11 Memories Untold

--- It is my favorite SG win, one of the most stylish games i have played. Very good story and the ending was worthy of that story.

Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain

--- Masterpiece. I am Kojima fanboy now.

Vermintide 2

--- Best melee combat i have ever seen. As someone who had no idea about the Warhammer universe, it made me love it.

Honorable Mentions

Black Mesa --> Awesome game, and awesome remake.

Ori and the Blind Forest --> The gameplay was very good and fluid so i wanted to include it.

That list became longer than i expected :D

3 years ago*

If it was good enough, you'll remember it ;-)

3 years ago

Nah, its because my memory is worse than fish lol :D

Anyway, just edited the answer.

3 years ago

Good list! I enjoyed the first Vermintide

3 years ago

Vermintide 2 is LOT better than 1. I played the first one and thought "eeh, not bad" then I played second and... 350 hours :D

3 years ago

Good to know, thanks!

3 years ago

Steam→LIBRARY→HOME(Your Collection)→ADD Collection→ActiveCollection→Played Game☑→Sort:LastPlayGame

3 years ago

Thanks!

3 years ago

Thanks for editing♪. (o゚・Θ・) + 📝 +

--- Masterpiece. I am Kojima fanboy now.

DEATH STRANDING
If you like that kind of directing expression, I think this is also a good game.
(I want it too, but I'm not sure if I have time to play)XDD

3 years ago

Yep, I am following it since the first announce but I am broke af right now :D (plus I am not sure if my 960M can handle it or not :)

3 years ago

I am broke af right now

In any case, expect it when you are in good physical condition and time.
( 'Θ`)Umm oh... ooO(🏦💰 🔫🎅Ho Ho Ho💸🎮)

960M

GTX960M seems to have problems related to this game and DX12.
If it doesn't work, there seems to be a way to rewrite some DLLs.
It seems to rewrite a about 4MB DLL 2files.
FIX graphics card does not support DirectX 12 Features - DEATH STRANDING. - YouTube
Death Stranding | GTX 960M | Performance Test - YouTube
(I don't know if it's okay & have never tried)
I hope you will continue to have fun playing games.

3 years ago

I hope you will continue to have fun playing games.

So far so good :D

3 years ago

https://store.steampowered.com/app/941570/Relicta/

puzzle game, i really enjoyed it

https://store.steampowered.com/app/465100/LUNA_The_Shadow_Dust/

another puzzle game, without a single dialog instead all the events and feelings during the story presented with masterpiece music/sounds

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1102190/Monster_Train/

Liked more than Slay the Spire

https://store.steampowered.com/app/746850/Cloudpunk/

I liked this scifi taxi simulator, it had some few good stories

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1106530/GemCraft__Frostborn_Wrath/

Good tower defense game, my favorite tower defense franchise

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1213700/Spirit_of_the_North/

Another cute game, puzzle platformer perhaps the genre.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/869170/Oneiros/

Shorter and cheaper puzzle game, with awesome title music (i might remember for this only because of that).

I might have played more decent games released this year but these are the ones i still remember.

3 years ago

Cloudpunk has a great looking atmosphere, definitely on my wishlist

3 years ago

What a nice collection. :)

3 years ago

I too really enjoyed Into the Breach for its approach to strategy which I preferred over FTL, as I tend to have a love/hate relationship with roguelites, yet it would seem that ItB has more rogue elements than FTL.

There aren't a whole lot of games I've played that were released in 2020, but of those I played, here's a list that I nominated for Backlog Assassins' 2020 awards:

- Game of the Year: Risk of Rain 2, SUPERHOT: MIND CONTROL DELETE
- Best Co-op/Multiplayer Game: Unrailed
- Best Free to Play Game: Split or Steal
- Most Value for Money: Risk of Rain 2
- Best Game Under $20: SUPERHOT: MIND CONTROL DELETE
- Best Addition to an Existing Series: SUPERHOT: MIND CONTROL DELETE
- Most Addictive Game: Unrailed
- Prettiest Game: AVICII Invector (Dec 10, 2019)
- Best Soundtrack: AVICII Invector
- Best Early Access Game: Mad Tower Tycoon
- Best Underdog/Hidden Gem: Mad Tower Tycoon

Closer to the end of the year I'll come up with my personal list of best & worst games I've played this year as post with the Backlog Assassins.

3 years ago

Oh, Risk of Rain 2, nice choice. I played it quite a lot and really enjoyed it too. Such a big step up from the first game too!

Mind Control Delete is one I have wishlisted, as the original Superhot was fantastic. Glad to see you thought highly of it.

I don't know Unrailed so will check that out, as I may need a co-op game over new years!

3 years ago

I was impressed that RoR 2 was basically a conversion of the original 2D game.

Assuming you activated superhot before MCD's July release this year, you should already have MCD in your library! It builds on what made the original so fun and also deconstructs it in the late game.

Unrailed is just a fun simple but hectic co-op train track builder with procedural levels, and between stations you can upgrade train abilities that help manage everything.

3 years ago

Neon Abyss - Super addictive rogue-lite, kind of a cross between Issac x Dead Cells, with tons of items to unclock. I have well over 1,000 hours on it so far.

*Pro Tip: Play it on the "experimental branch" in Steam's beta tab as that's where the latest updates are.

3 years ago

Nuclear Throne is surprisingly the best game I've played this year. It's hard but worth all the hassle to get better, and it's so satisfying to finally get to the Throne. You're like Fuck off devs, I've made it! and then you realize that they wanted you to feel this way in the first place and they've won again :P Took me like 30 or 40 hours to sit on the Throne and there's so much content I haven't seen yet anyway – it's surprising how simple this game looks at first glance but how much content it hides beneath!

Townscaper has hit me in the right spot. It's a town builder that pushes your creativity to the limits.Me gusta! Simple yet such a cool gameplay – you can only pick colors, click to build and click to destroy. You can't choose what is build but certain builds give certain results. You also need to adapt because the grid is predefined and very curvy which again pushes you to be creative. Some cool hidden secrets and the game is still in Early Access.

GTA V is very nice game and it surprised me with how alive the city is, despite being so huuuge. Although it's alive only when it comes to NPC's because once you try to explore buildings there are plenty of stairs that go nowhere. The characters are very good, especially Trevor and Michael, maybe because there is a history between them already. Hopefully Franklin will become more interesting once he'll work with Michael more – that's what I expect, to be franklin.

3 years ago

Nuclear Throne is so good. I was never good enough to make much progress, but unlocked a few things and really liked it. Great choice, my owl friend.

3 years ago

I finally took the time to play Hollow Knight which has become one of my favorite game ever. I discovered that I really like the metroidvania genre and it actually pushed me to discover the very first Metroid that you can play on Nintendo Switch Online and let me tell you...I love it but am TERRIBLE at it and keep dying. So I'm cheating during combats, because you can actually pause the game and go backwards. But hey, I'm having fun, and it prevent the game from becoming a chore for me, so I guess this is what matters.

I also recently played Baba is You. It is a really challenging puzzle game with a unique concept. There is so much satisfaction when you finally manage one level you were stuck on for a long time.

Thanks for your GAs, and I will definitely check the games you mentioned.

3 years ago

I like the Metroidvania genre, but after playing the excellent Ori, Messenger, Blasphemous, Gato Roboto and probably more, I felt a little burnt out on the genre and Hollow Knight has some flaws which annoyed me perhaps more than they should have.. I have up on the game and I'm not sure if I'll go back to it.

3 years ago

This was a year where I actually got to play a fare amount of new games, for once, so new games will be on the list!.

Vaporum: Lockdown: An outstanding dungeon crawler with some of the best puzzles I've seen in an RPG thus far. Think Legend of Grimrock, or Eye of the Beholder, but in a kind of steampunky setting and you've got Vaporum: Lockdown.

Shadow Empire: One of the deepest 4X games I've seen yet. It's a bit ugly, and a bit user unfriendly, but once past the initial learning hump, it turned into one of the most rewarding games I've played in a long time. It's really good.

Fates of Ort is an interesting RPG. Time only moves when you move, so it's kind of like playing a turnbased game, but it's structured more like an ARPG. The mix works very well, and the game is fun. It also has multiple solutions to a lot of quests, and there's an overlap between quests when it comes to what items you can use, so you can make another quest a lot harder for yourself by using the item at the "wrong" place, which I thought was neat. And this is without locking you out of beating the game, of course.

Total War: Warhammer II Probably the best Total War game I've played. Sure, it still has some of the issues of past Total War games, like the lackluster AI, but the variety that this game offers makes that feel like less of an issue. Basically a predictable AI feels less "samey" when the unit variety is greater. It also looks and sounds really good.

Europa Universalis IV: It's EU IV, it's been one of the best games I've played every year since close to its release, and it still stays on the list. EU IV is a game that I need to be careful with, as it can really suck me in, and then I'll forget about the world around me. Still my favourite grand strategy game.

3 years ago

Thank you, some interesting new games I'll take a look at

3 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

3 years ago

Blasphemous was good, I was happy to complete it. I loved the original Ori so need to pick up the sequel at some point.

3 years ago

I definitely agree with your opinion on Prey. I was lucky enough to win it here on SG :)
Wish I could play it for the first time again.

My favorite games this year were Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Dead Cells and Opus Magnum.
Thank you for the giveaways!

3 years ago*

Lucky win :-) I liked the original Ori so will definitely get the sequel one day.

Dead Cells is fantastic yes. I haven't touched it this year, but need to get back to it the developers have added a lot and it just keeps improving.

3 years ago

Bad North

I first played it on Epic (was free) and then on Steam. It's short, but I really enjoyed it for what it is. Fresh concept.

RimWorld

Highly addictive, though the late-game wasn't that fulfilling. I had to force myself to pull away and might go back in with the plethora of mods available.

Frostpunk

Actually, I expected more. The atmosphere is right, but I didn't like being more or less railed on one of two directions of government.Still, I would recommend it.

Railway Empire

Came back for DLC scenarios. Mexico was really hard. Took a break, will play again.

Invisible Inc.

The tension in this game is so delicious! I wish there was a bit more content.

CKIII

Nicely polished. Though of course, as it is with Paradox titles, it will take time before you get the full experience.

Opus Magnum

This game makes me feel dumb. :) Though, looking at my solutions compared to what's on the net; I seem to be too hard on myself.

Disco Elysium

A masterpiece. The world building, all the aspects of the psyche of the protagonist... I was blown away. Yet, I can't take it in big chunks. IMO it's a game to be savored, piece by piece.

Spelunky 2

Agree with OP. I hate it, I love it. :) It will take soo long to unravel all of it.

3 years ago

Good luck out there, fellow spelunker.

Invisible Inc is really nice, I agree.

3 years ago

Just a thank you-bump 😋

To add something: I thoroughly enjoyed Salt and Sanctuary 👌

3 years ago

I have such huge backlog, that i mostly dont play game when they came out. So for me this year i played mostly games from previous years. I really enjoyed this (only on Steam):
The Walking Dead: The Final Season (so much emotions)
The Wolf Among Us (second finish, still very good)
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (nothing to say there, really good game, nice story and so much hours to play)
Half-Life: Alyx (new way how to play games)
Beat Saber (endless fun)
Broforce (finished with friend thanks to Remote Play, hilarious game)
Batman™: Arkham Knight (i love Batman)
Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™ (start little weak, but still pretty good game)

3 years ago

Nice that you got to play HL Alyx. How is it playing with such different controls?

Middle Earth SoM was excellent, did you play that before the sequel? Which did you prefer?

3 years ago

It is really different, you just focus on small things, like opening doors, going through drawers, aiming and reloading guns, picking up stuff, looking at things and other characters from different point of view and more.....it is still not perfect, but definitively original

i played both games, i liked the first one little bit more, but maybe just because it was something new in that time
btw, i finished Prey in December 2019 and i agree, that it is really good game

3 years ago

INFRA, a title released almost five years ago, was my personal GOTY. A game that, for me, was coming way ahead of all those fancy modern AAA titles. Getting lost in it and working through its puzzles was a beautiful, engrossing experience. Didn't want it to end.

3 years ago*

I'd never heard of that before. That's why I like threads like these, it's a great way to discover interesting games! Thank you

3 years ago

And thank you for the nice giveaways. Especially for Katana Zero. It's not often that I see a giveaway for that game.

3 years ago

Let's see... brings out BLAEO lists... In alphabetic order since they're all really good and this way they're on an equal standing:

• Chantelise - A Tale of Two Sisters - As Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale's predecessor, it's a more straightforward Action RPG without any shop managing. Still lots of fun though and has a fishing minigame which you just miiiiight like too much and spend waaaaay too many hours on... ops. It has the same excellent localization by Carpe Fulgur as Recettear so lots of laughs and cuteness to be had. :D

• Cuphead - Action platformer with... lots of Bullet Hell inspiration... yeah, it's not as hard as people make it out to be. Pretty good and... yeah... that's kinda it. It's a game you go to for the challenge. ^_^'

• Fly'N - Platformer which utilizes a bunch of different mechanics- switching world states with a button press similar to Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, swapping between characters with different traversal abilities at set points and lots of challenges utilizing both platforming and puzzle elements. Overall it's pretty good. It's also pretty good looking if you care about that stuff.

• Helltaker - A free short (~1 hour) Sokoban clone where you befriend a bunch of cute demon girls. What is there to not like? :D

• Linelight - A puzzle game which is literally about a line made of light moving along a longer line. Pretty nice- neither too easy, nor too hard. Pretty sure it's supposed to have some deeper meaning which flew completely over my head because I'm a dumb-dumb. How did they manage to come up with so many puzzle mechanics for such a simple concept...? I really wish I could come up with stuff like that... T.T

• Luxor Evolved - Wow, has Luxor always been this fast? Anyway, yeah, it's Luxor, a classic (?) arcade-y game but shinier and more tech-looking than before. You either already know what it is or you go to take one look at the store page and then know what it is and if you'd be interested in trying it out. :)

• RIVE - I think they call this genre... "Twin Stick Shooter"... right? Well, if there is a game I would call the Most Obscure Hidden Gem™ on this list, then this would be it. Seriously, it's fun, you get to blow a lot of stuff up and it has a lot of that video-gamey humor. Oh, and its soundtrack is made by the same guys who made Awesomenauts' soundtrack, so you know it's good! Why is this game not more popular? Why is it that when I write "RIVE" in the Steam search, the immediate suggestions are a bunch of games with "river" in the name?! >.<

• Root Double - It's a Visual Novel... which I'm petty sure should cause anyone who knows me to immediately raise an eyebrow and question what the catch is. Well, there is none- there is no hidden gameplay feature that turns it into an actual game, all you do is read and occasionally do the slightly awkward choice mechanic. So, yeah, I have no idea why I liked this one as much as I did. Especially since it kinda dragged on towards the middle. But the characters were likeable and felt... human, I guess; the settings is interesting enough and, again, pretty realistic and relatable; the (true) ending is good (in my opinion); the story is surprisingly consistent with itself despite the constant curveballs it throws and it really feels like a mystery which you are trying to piece together along with the characters (although it might overdo the foreshadowing at times). So, yeah, if you're not a slooooooooowwwwwww reader like me and aren't too disturbed by the occasional really gruesome death the characters suffer when you mess up the choice mechanic (luckily it's usually only described rather than shown), then I'd totally recommend this game. ;D

• Science Girls - A short and simple turn-based RPG with likeable characters and a decent amount of humor. Sure, it's clearly done on a budged and not a big fat AAA game, but small and sweet is great too if people would give it a chance.

• Shadow Warrior 2 - Best main menu music ever! I could fiddle around in the settings forever to keep this going. End of Review... ... ... ...Ok ok ok, it's an old-shool-ish FPS with heavy RPG elements like the first game, except they kinda doubled down on the RPG stuff this time with a loot system, procedurally generated maps and, overall, stuff that just get in the way and it really didn't need... I mean, the shooting, slashing and splattering of enemies is still fun. Dialogue is still filled to the brim with one-liners and dick jokes. But due to the RPG stuff it kinda starts feeling like "Diablo but with guns" at times. It starts off fun but quickly devolves into your absolutely destroying everything in your way because it's way too easy, then you ramp up the difficulty on the next playtrough until each enemy is either immune or stupidly resistant to all but one element and everything one-or-two-shots you, then you figure out how to abuse the invisibility skill and it gets fun again. Kinda mixed about this one, but hey, any game where you can tear demons to pieces with dual-wielded SMGs in one level and then chop cyber ninjas to pieces with your sword in the next level gets a recommendation from me.

• Sora - Bullet Hell game but, like its predecessor Suguri, there is a lot more focus on mobility with the ability to "dash" directly through most attacks without getting hit. It's really good and on the easy side as far as Bullet Hell goes, so it's very accessible to anyone willing to give it a chance. Also really really good soundtrack. Seriously, all of it. Also Sora gets my award for Main Character Who Really Needs A Hug™. She's too cute! O_o

• Would be kinda weird to list this one first and on its own with the whole alphabetic thing I have going, so Acceleration of SUGURI 2 also gets its entry here. It's kinda a fighting game featuring the same battle mechanics and characters as the "main" games. So I guess you could say it's a Bullet Hell Fighting Game. (Y'know, because those two genres weren't niche enough on their own!) Like with Sora it's a vast improvement over it's predecessor mechanics-wise and it's fun... at least while you do the single player campaigns for each character. Yeah, trying to get into the multiplayer is kinda like trying to climb Mount Everest with nothing but a toothpick. ^_^'

• Strider - Metroidvania Action Platformer where you play as a ninja. Though this one takes itself more seriously than the other Metroidvania Action Platformer I played recently (That awkward moment when I remember that 'S' comes before 'T'...) so there's pretty much no humor and instead of it being a regular ninja fighting demons it's more along the lines of a high-tech ninja fighting communists. Yes, really... Still pretty fun though.

• The Coma: Recut - All I can say is- dang, Koreans sure know how to make an atmospheric horror game. And this is that. It does kinda suffer from the usual hiccups of the survival-horror genre where the monster feels more like an annoyance than an actual threat as you hide in the same storage wardrobe for the ten billionth time to wait for it to piss off, but the rest of the time it's really good! :D

• The Messenger - An Action Platformer (later adding Metroidvania to the list of genres) which is apparently inspired by classic Ninja Gaiden (though presumably Ninja Gaiden was significantly harder). It's really fun and has lots of humorous dialogue. Would absolutely recommend! ^_^

• The Spiral Scouts - Just how crass do you like your humor? If the answer is "very and then some more" then this game is perfect for you! It's a puzzle/adventure-ish game which doesn't pull any punches with its jokes. Just for an example, the game has an entire world which looks like it was designed when the devs were high on all the drugs and is populated by phallic-shaped creatures called "boners". It's friggin' glorious. Would recommend to all the kids! XD

• Wings of Vi - An old shool-ish Platformer which I guess you could say falls into the so called "Platform Hell" genre. Aka, it's suuuper challenging. And it's really really good. So, for people who don't shy away from a challenge, I'd highly recommend it. ;P

Still have at least 3 more games I have to play this month so I might add them later (pfft, as if people would still be reading this by the time I'm done). ^_^'
Ok... now let's see if this comment went over the character limit...
PS: Surprisingly it didn't.

3 years ago*

The Messenger was really nice too, I liked it a lot. It was also much funnier that I expected - great writing and great old-school gameplay.

3 years ago

Bump since I kinda forgot to bump this thread.

3 years ago

There were a bunch of good games this year that I failed to complete this year. I feel like I must really suck at gaming, because others rave about them. Splasher, The Messenger, and Black Mesa were ones that I can mention off the top of my head.
There were also a few games I did finish that I was hyped to play, but disappointed in: namely one comes to mind, Bioshock Infinite.
For me the top games of his year were, in no particular order:

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy - Much like Sonic, Megaman or Mario, Crash was not a game franchise I have any nostalgia for beyond racing games. I remember playing a few minutes of the first Crash game back in the day, and found it quite hard, so usually watched others play it. Anyway, revisiting the game 20 years later, I feel the remaster has really nailed that same initial difficulty. Except this time, I persevered. And beat Crash 1. Fortunately that's the hardest game in the Trilogy, and I think it just got easier from there. Great games. I love 3D platformers, and this helped rejuvenate that this year.

Spyro Trilogy - (There might be a theme with my list of favourite games) What can I say - absolutely brilliant Trilogy - it's not often I can boast 100% achievements in a big game, but hey, it just goes to show this was great. Nice diversity, bright graphics, and excellent game mechanics, not much bad to say about this game, and I'm going to be biased and not mention them ;-)

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ok, so this is more of a Hack n Slash game, but you can't ignore the amount of platforming in this game as well. I really enjoyed this, it had an enjoyable combination of content, bosses, platforming, puzzles, and upgrades, I never really felt like I was bored, nor did it get so frustrating like I tend to be afflicted with in this style of game. Highly recommend it.

Super Lucky's Tale Oxenfree - Hmm, so I was gonna do another platformer, but I'll be honest, Super Lucky's Tale was good, but it wasn't great. Oxenfree however - it's kind of a slow burn. Great atmosphere, but it's slow, so if you need action, you may not enjoy it. It's got some cool horror, and the more time you spend with the game, the more you realise the devs also spent a lot of time and love on this.

[Woodle Tree 2 Deluxe+] Late Shift - (Whoops, again) Late Shift is an enjoyable interactive movie. I've played a few FMVs in the last couple of years, but this stands out. It's really decently done, and I quite enjoyed the ride. Others might not like these "fake games", but I say check it out.

Honestly too many games I had fun with this year, other personally highly rated games I played this year were:
Finding Paradise, Snake Pass, Costume Quest, Aviary Attorney, Bayonetta, The Hex, Mages of Mystralia, Fran Bow (and Little Misfortune), Untold Stories, My Friend Pedro, Youropa, Planet Alpha, Okami HD, State of Mind, de Blob, Yuppie Psycho, Layers of Fear, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, TRI: of Friendship and Madness, Supraland, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Lightmatter.
Ok, so it was a great year of gaming I guess :D

3 years ago

I liked the atmosphere and music of Oxenfree, and the story was pretty good

3 years ago

late shift was good cool game

3 years ago

Bump for a great thread, my wishlist grew so much from the comments! May this bump stand as my thanks to this thread and other threads with 'best games' theme.
And thanks for the lovely GAs!

3 years ago

Glad you found some new ones! I really can't recommend my top 4 of the year enough, I do hope you are able to get them someday!

3 years ago

Not many standouts for me this year; I daresay my list of disappointments is longer.

My top five favourites from 2020:
1) What Remains of Edith Finch
2) Wandersong
3) Iratus: Lord of the Dead
4) Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition
5) Middle Earth: Shadow of War

I've just started Spiritfarer and it seems very good so far.

3 years ago

Just finished wandersong recently great cute game ^^

3 years ago

Shadow of War is on my list to play, I really liked the first game.

Interestingly, I was going to add to the title and description about everyone's most disappointing games of the year! Maybe you should start a fresh discussion thread for that :-) Which games were particularly disappointing for you? For me, Party Hard 2 was a let down after such a great first game.

3 years ago

The Long Journey Home was a great concept built around a clumsy minigame which wrecked the experience.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker seemed to combine two things I loved - party-based CRPG plus kingdom management - but the combat was far too frequent and plagued by difficulty spikes, while kingdom management was monotonous and built around a very specific meta. I abandoned it close to the end, which I very rarely do.

Football Manager 2020 is so tactics heavy and flooded with mechanics that it feels like work. I spent thousands of hours on versions of this series in the '90s and '00s, but it's lost all enjoyment for me.

Greedfall was repetitive with clumsy combat, terrible companion AI and turgid dialogue. I learned my lesson from Kingmaker and gave up quickly.

Total Extreme Wrestling 2020 released in a terrible state, and fundamental balance was still changing months after release. The end result is wholly unsatisfying, and I've not played it anywhere near as much as its predecessors.

3 years ago*

good question you got me thinking lol

the order is not important I just put the name down here

The Suicide of Rachel Foster
Metro Exodus.
Assassin's Creed Origins
Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York
Heavy Rain
Titanfall 2 (single player )
Blair Witch
Beyond: Two Souls
The Walking Dead: The Final Season
The Story of Henry Bishop
Breacher Story
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (single player)
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Vampyr
The Witcher 3
Far Cry New Dawn

3 years ago

A lot of big names there. I still haven't started any of the Metro games, despite having two in my library. Was the latest one much of the same or any major improvements?

3 years ago

they are good if you have the update version aka Redux , the last one was big improvement (in my opinion ) it is fun to play the game i usually play on normal difficulty because they other one is challenging lol.

the last one is more like surveying adventure with less horror element semi open world type of game while the first 2 are action horror adventure type game. the last one dose not have that much surveying element to play around but that is part of the story . the first 2 game the story is more focused on adventure part with some sci fi add on .

also i am kind of picky gamer so that why i usually pick good games to play lol game like Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York i wont touch but my mother got it so i just tried it out and that was crazy good

3 years ago*

Thank you! Have a bump. Stuff I enjoyed a lot in 2020:

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - RPG that gets the exploration aspect right by being an adventure on high seas. You never know what the next uncharted island might hide.

Trüberbrook - Unexpectedly good point & click adventure with interesting visuals and well presented mystery story.

The Hex - One of those game that are better played sight unseen, so I won't spoil anything.

Prey - Just a high quality immersive sim. I probably still like Dishonored 2 more, but Prey definitely has a better story and presentation.

Neofeud - Incredibly rough and unpolished point & click, but there aren't many games where you play as a cyberpunk social worker. And this is the kind of cyberpunk that centers low life part of "high tech, low life" credo.

Heat Signature - I don't generally like rogue-lites, but this was the most satisfying core gameplay loop in recent memory. Weapons and gadgets aren't just numbers, they all have unique functions. Every kind of playstyle has its fun moments.

Batman: The Enemy Within - I thought I was sick of Telltale-style games, but this brought me back. It's definitely made with fans of Batman in mind, but if you happen to be one, there's enough different takes on the established lore to keep things interesting.

West of Loathing - Comedy RPG that's actually an RPG (builds, skill-checks, decisions and consequences) and is actually funny.

Yakuza 0 - Disco dancing and karaoke singing in 80s Japan. And I guess there's like a brawler with a weighty satisfying combat in there too, but that more of a side thing.

3 years ago

Glad to see another fan of Heat Signature - that really should be my number 5 of the year. But now looking at my library, that was actually in 2019 that I played it to completion. Another beautiful game though, I loved it.

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

3 years ago

Cloudpunk, Hades and Hitman 2 are all ones I have my eye on to pick up someday. Nice choices and good to hear you enjoyed them.

TLOU2 is another I need to get on PS4 someday, along with Sekiro too. Damn.. too many games and not enough time. Always seems to be that way as you get older...

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

3 years ago

You know I completely forgot to add RDR2 to my list, that definitely was one of my games of the year also. Updated my post :-)

3 years ago

:) It was hard to forget for me, this was a good start to the crappy year

I would like to add a few honorable mentions: MORDHAU, Smile for me, We were here together, Evil Genius, Minit, Hand of Fate 2, My friend Pedro, Satisfactory

3 years ago*

"Outer Wilds"
Ah, I see you're a Hearthian of culture as well.

3 years ago

it's a game to remember:)

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.