So, here we are. 2020 is finally coming to an end. It has been a rough year for most of the world. Rather than flying cars and hover-boards, all we got was disasters and pandemics. I'm sure we are all looking forward to a brighter year ahead, and providing the vaccinations keep rolling out then fingers crossed things might start returning to normality, to some extent at least.

Anyway, before we look forward to 2021, I'm curious to hear what you have been playing and enjoying in 2020. What were your favourite games this year? The game release date does not matter and any platform is fine, not just Steam.

For me personally, my outstanding games of the year were:

1. Katana ZERO (released 2019)
    Fluid, fast-paced action with fantastic pixel art. It's quite short, I finished the main story in about 8 hours total, but you unlock some other modes that are worth playing. Tight controls, which are absolutely essential for this katana-wielding action, complemented by a fantastic soundtrack and some of the best pixel-art I've seen - hell there's even a decent story behind it all too. This has received Overwhelmingly Positive reviews and absolutely deserves it. Here's a short trailer to give you an idea of the look and feel of the game:

2. Into The Breach (released 2018)
    A very close second place and another phenomenal indie game. This one totally took me by surprise. I watched the trailer and thought it looked like a nice strategy battle game, and I liked the style (same team that made FTL). But this consumed my life for a few months and I didn't want to play anything else. The game mechanics and objectives are simple in design but have a lot of depth when you get into it. Great variety of different units make re-playing the story a completely new experience. I ended up unlocking and completing it to 100% and loving every minute of it. I clocked up over 180 hours in a few months. Amazing game, I just hope there will be a sequel or DLC one day. It completely deserves the current rating it has on Steam with "Overwhelmingly Positive" reviews. I cannot recommend this enough, and so I decided to purchase a few copies to give away here. Here's a trailer for those interested to see the game running.

3. Red Dead Redemption 2 (released 2018/2019)
    I completely forgot to add this to my list originally, because I played and finished it on the PS4 earlier this year, but was looking at my Steam games library when I made this thread. So yes, Red Dead 2 is firstly one of the most graphically impressive games I've played, and secondly the slow-paced story and character building is wonderful. Although it got mostly excellent reviews, I did hear some complaints about how long and slow it is. I can imagine those are GTA players who were expecting something similar from Rockstar. Honestly the slow nature of the game is perfect, it really lets you take everything in, explore and do things in your own time. There are countless side quests and places to adventure, hunting to do, unique characters just sat out camping in the middle of nowhere, rare horses to ride, crimes in progress to stop or ignore... the list could go on. All the while the world is filled with great background music that fits the situation, and again the beautiful environments are really something else. Once again, this has Overwhelmingly Positive reviews on Steam, as you'd expect.

4. Prey (released 2017)
    Excellent game all round. Great story and music, voice acting and characters, environments, skill tree, and most importantly a variety of ways to tackle certain situations and make choices. Along with a good selection of weapons and unique powers, I liked the fact that the game allowed me to take on objectives in different ways. Need the key to get through the door? Find the body and get the key, or use a glue gun to form makeshift steps and go through the ceiling tiles, or maybe use a special ability to transform yourself into a nearby object like a cup and wobble in through the small gap! One of the best FPS games I have played. I'd say this was on par with how I felt when I finished Half Life 2. Maybe this is the HL3 I wanted

If you feel like leaving a little review of games that made a big impression on you this year, please do!

Right then. Giveaways:

Level 1 & 0.2 ratio
Crazy Belts

Level 1 & 0.5 ratio
Beat Hazard 2
Pinstripe

Level 4 & 0.5 ratio
XIII - Classic
Blood and Gold: Caribbean!

Level 4 & 0.75 ratio
Think of the Children
Death Squared

Level 4 & 1.0 ratio
Rain of Reflections: Set Free
Basingstoke
The Adventure Pals
Into The Breach

Level 4 & 1.25 ratio
Holy Potatoes! What the Hell?!
Sigma Theory: Global Cold War
Earthlock
Melty Blood Actress Again Current Code
Into The Breach

Level 4 & 1.5 ratio
Into The Breach
Katana ZERO

Stay safe and have a good winter holiday.

3 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

3 years ago

Big names, and while I haven't played any of them, I'm definitely keen on getting Cyberpunk soon. Hopefully by the time I get it they will have fixed a few of the issues people have been reporting.

I've heard some mixed reviews for Borderlands 3, so it's nice to see it on your top list. I loved Borderlands 2, but the Pre-Sequel somehow didn't grab me as much.

3 years ago

i consider bl3's gameplay better than bl2, but the story is terrible... sidequests are fine, but they messed up the writing. 👍
pre-sequel was a waste of time. 🤷

3 years ago

ya lol i back log the pre-sequel boring AF lol i have not play the 3rd one yet after pre-sequel I kind of lost the taste of that game
i played Borderlands 1 and 2 + borderlands telltale and the pre-sequel killed the vibe .

3 years ago

Here are my games of 2020:

MO:Astray - a delightful puzzle platformer that was charming and fun and inventive. It wasn't a Metroidvania, but it really evoked the feel of Ori and the Blind Forest, which is one of my favorite games. I totally loved MO:Astray.

Slay the Spire - this game has carried me through Covid-19. When I'm too tired and stressed out to try to play something new, I can still fire up StS and feel like I'm wrapping myself in a warm blanket and tucking into some comfort food. It's my most played game, and it's still every bit as fun and engaging. The only downside is that I'll sit down to play for 10 minutes, and then I get hooked and end up playing for 90.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 - got this to play with a friend, and while that didn't go very well, I loved playing the game on my own. I also loved playing it with my SO. It's just a great, inventive RPG with a lot of freedom for how you approach it. I've only played through the first 1/4 or 1/3 of it, but it's been delightful so far. I just wish I had more free time so I could go back to it.

I really thought I'd love Into the Breach, but playing the beginning I thought it was fine, but it didn't hook me the way I expected it would. I only played through the very beginning, the first half dozen missions or so. I'll have to give it another shot sometime.

I also really need to make time to play Prey, particularly as I loved Dishonored. Heck, I need to make time to play the Dishonored DLC and Dishonored 2 and 2.5... Clearly I just need a lot of free time. :)

3 years ago

MO:Astray is another I picked up this year but have yet to get around to it. I will!

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

3 years ago

Red Dead truly was fantastic. I'm not sure if I will ever play through it again, but it was mostly perfect.

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

I got The Messenger too and liked it a lot. It captured the old classic games very well but also has really funny writing which I was not expecting.

3 years ago

It was a great year game-wise for me! The first trio are all-time favorites now ♥

Hades - all that hype and praise around the game is very much deserved! It's fun, it has humor of all sorts, it has enjoyable gameplay, great heartwarming stories and fantastic characters! I never was a fan of rogue-likes and -lites, but SuperGiant Games changed my mind again! (I still can't believe I enjoyed Pyre's gameplay as much as I did). Well, actually Hades is a 2019 title for me, but since most of its gameplay I got this year, I'll count it!

Disco Ellysium - brilliant writing, freedom of expression and one of the greatest friendships stories in the last years. And even though the story doesn't change much there are so many ways to experience it. And after announcing free upgrade with new quests, areas and FULL voiceover - they topped as a company too.

Kentucky Route Zero - I was waiting all these year for a full release to play it and I'd say it's fully worth it. It's surreal, melancholic, poetic and beautiful. I'm a little sad that it was talked more during first episodes and the final release didn't get all that much praise.

Steins;Gate 0 - it's plenty worse than the first game but still great. Well, good. I don't care, I was just happy to rejoin with the Okabe and Co once again. spent time with them. And I'm glad that I haven't played it right away after the first one, since I didn't have to compare them and got to miss the characters enough to overlook the not so great story.

Return of Obra Dinn - amazing detective game for those who like to spot little details, make paper notes, think and rethink the chain of the events and ponder over intellectually challenging puzzles. I haven't completed it fully, cause my brain started to heat up, but I'll definitely conquer it one day!

Finding Paradise - great sequel to a great game! It's the same simple pixel graphics and gameplay, wacky humor and very emotional story. Can't wait for the final part!!

Out of yours I've only played Into the Breach but I loved it soooo much! I played it last year a lot, unlocked all the teams, in-game achievements and silver medals and still keep playing it from time to time now! It's amazing how such minimalistic game can entertain so much!

And to add positive outlook on the future too - I'm looking forward to Hollow Knight sequel, Psychonauts sequel, It Takes Two, Gamedec, Book of Travels. What are you greatest expectations? ^_^

3 years ago

Disco Ellysium is turn based or it have any turn based things in it ?

3 years ago

No, there aren't any combat mechanics at all. You talk to people, explore areas, inspect object, and depending on the stats, and what you already know and previous choices situations can go very-very differently. So it's a detective game with rng checks based on your character skills and knowledge. And it has a very unique idea - those stats that determine your characters areas of expertise have their own personalities and voices and sometimes speak their opinions to you. So Harry (main character) can have those conversations inside his head between Logic, Empathy and Authority, with everyone suggesting different line of action. So it has a lot of writing but it's very well done and have plenty of humor! But gameplay-wise its mostly reading, walking around, clicking on objects, reading again and making choices. But if that something you might enjoy - I highly recommend giving it a shot!! ^_^

3 years ago

the reading part if the down side ..but they way you described it make it more interesting i have eye on this game for long time lol

3 years ago

Yeah, and the game is quite long and the reading is the main part of the game, and the writing while very good is also plenty complex with heavy political and philosophical discussions thrown in. So I'd recommend to see some gameplay videos to see if it's something you might enjoy. I do love this game a lot, but we all have different tastes, so I wouldn't want you to be left disappointed.

If turn-based games is something you interested in I'd recommend Shadowrun series - it has turn-based combat, but also exploration, dialogues, choices and great stories. It also involves reading but not to that extent and language is way simpler, so you might see for yourself if you like games where stories progress through reading.

3 years ago

Return of the Obra Dinn is a really interesting looking game, I like the style and music from what I've seen. I'm not sure I have the mind or patience for the puzzles though!

3 years ago

Played a lot of good games this year but if I had to pick a few standouts they would be:

3 years ago

Dicey Dungeons sure has a nice style! I enjoy deckbuilders on my smartphone, but have yet to try one on Steam. Tempting...

3 years ago

RDR2 — yes, it's absolutely great. I was lucky to play it in 2019, though (and I was sad and grumpy for about a week after).
Pathologic 2 — damn, that was something. Challenging gameplay plus playing while in the middle of a pandemic. A unique experience that took and threw out my soul.
Also, I finished huge Steins;Gate & Steins;Gate 0 — who would've known that some VN will steal 80+ hours of my time? xD
The Witness, Kentucky Route Zero, The Messenger, Hob & Wuppo also deserve honorable mention.
Puzzle-side: I spent 49+ hours in great Tametsi and haven't finished it yet. And A Monster's Expedition is surprisingly good too.
Damn, a lot of great games I played this year; I'm satisfied xD

Thank you for the topic and for the GAs :)

3 years ago*

Hm, I guess I have to say Conan Exiles. Have spent over 300 hours in that game, which for me is an absurdly high amount. I usually prefer smaller games that I can finish quickly and move on to the next game. But occasionally I enjoy a big open world game, or even a multiplayer game. And Conan was exactly that. A really good open world survival game with lots of good PvE content (as opposed to games like Rust). Played it with a friend. When he stopped (because he had some RL issues and just wasn't in the mood anymore), I continued for a few more weeks and then stopped as well. Just wasn't that much fun alone, and I had done most of what I wanted anyway.

Aside from Conan, I am loving Cyberpunk 2077 right now. Despite the bad performance and the bugs, it's a really good game and reminds me of games like Deus Ex or Dishonored. I paused, though, since my new graphics card should arrive tomorrow. Would be nice to be able to play at my native resolution, lol. Since I got my monitor (3440*1440@100Hz) a few years back, I haven't reduced resolution in a single game - until Cyberpunk. Guess a GTX 1080 is suddenly not enough anymore for "next-gen"(tm). :/

3 years ago

I've been looking forward to Cyberpunk for so long, and now am unsure if I should get it on PC or wait for a redesigned PS5. The PS4 option seems to be hopeless, sadly. Likewise, if I do get it on PC, I may need an upgrade!

3 years ago

While I personally have only suffered small graphical glitches and nothing major, not everyone is so lucky. The amount of bugs in the game is substancial. Performance is also not great, even on PC. Even though it is cerrtainly playable on PC (as opposed to last-gen consoles, as you said) and actually a lot of fun, I really can't recommend it right now. I'd say if you can, wait a while until they fixed the game.

3 years ago

The games I played this year which left me with an impression:
Control: haven't finished it yet, started to play, then found out how it ties into another game which I never played, so...
Alan Wake: amazing game, even though it played very differently than max payne 2, it still felt like the same development team (more than max payne 3 did, well, duh, but still interesting to me), they did not overdo the horror elements, and the light --> shoot mechanic is neat. I also played american nightmare right after, and I also had a good time, but it was way too short, but I was hungry for more story beats, which leads to...
Control (cont.): I am currently playing this, can't wait to reach the dlc segments=)
Children of Morta: neat diablo style game with an emphasis on the lead family, they did manage to make me interested in each character of the Bergson clan, even if I could not - for the life of me - remember anyone's name:D
Dying light: played with a friend, the main game was really fun coop experience, the following dlc was a let down, the driving mechanics and large open fields were nowhere as fun as climbin buildings in the city.
Forgotten Anne: ~8-9 hour game with some light platforming and ghibli like aesthetics, the story was interesting enough to keep me going.
Resident Evil 4: it was a long time coming, after the coop experiences of 5 and 6 I finally started 4 and it was a blast, I understand completely why it is deemed one of the best games of all by many. I used the re4hd project updated textures which I highly recommend for anyone thinking about giving this game a go.
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood: it was hard to believe that this game had merits after the excellent 'new order' but it is indeed just as much fun as the main game, if you liked TNO but skipped this, you should most definitely give it a go!

On the ps4 side, I played a bunch of games as well, with the single best experience being Death Stranding, while the story and combat did little for me (actually loathed the forced combat segments in the nightmares, shooting guns felt bad), I loved the logistics side to it

3 years ago

I'm happy that Death Stranding was generally well received, but it's not a game for me. Kojima is an interesting game designer, and I hope to see more of his creativity in the future.

3 years ago

Dicey Dungeons - Super fun & addictive dice game, have completed the game/played a bunch of mods and still not sick of it. One of my all-time faves, highly recommend!

GRIS - I wrote a review here but overall just a stunning game across the board. Expected to love it & still blew me away. :)

A Way Out - The story, the minigames, just the cool interactive nature of the game playing with someone else...absolutely loved this one. Was a pleasant surprise how much more to it there was than I'd first expected.

Hotel Sowls - Definitely an underrated gem, a stylish P&C which is perfect for an evening in with a bite sized mystery adventure.

Eliza - This vn got me thinking, about technology and the emotional side of things, anonymity etc. Was interesting and I loved the solitaire minigame (with kabufuda cards). :D

Terraria - After setting it down a couple times and restarting, my brother & I finally stuck with it and it definitely grew on me by the end. Was really fun progressing, the variety of loot and bosses etc were great. Can see why it's as popular as it is, although it's more fun co-op imo!

Horizon Chase Turbo - A fun, simple arcade style racing game. Not much else to say! Great solo and local co-op, the music's a bop.

Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition - Am not the biggest beat 'em up fan anymore so wasn't planning on playing it, but after being rec'd I gave it a shot...and boy was it a big surprise. The combat felt fluid, the story was entertaining. The gameplay really shined, definitely recommend giving it a try even if it doesn't seem like your cup of tea on paper.

3 years ago*

I've been tempted by A Way Out, my friend and I were looking for a good co-op game after finishing Dark Souls 3 together (we ended up playing Dark Souls 2 now instead). I might look at this again soon though.

GRIS looks and sounds beautiful for sure. Glad you enjoyed it!

3 years ago

Well... I didn't play much this year, but I tried a few. I started the year with Red Dead Redemption 2 and I must say this game is absolutely amazing. Play RDR2 is good like the first one (which I really expect to come to Steam someday). I also played A Short Hike which is one of the most interesting game I've played in my whole life. That's definitively a (not so) hidden gem. I also played Megaman X Collection for nostalgia with no input lag on Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers. Also I managed to play Apotheon which was VERY interesting in all terms.
I honestly have nothing to complain about all these titles except for bugs here and there. I totally recommend any of them. The others I didn't play long enough to finish or have a deep conclusion about the whole game.

3 years ago

Agreed on RDR2, such an amazing game. I have Apotheon but haven't played it yet, and had actually forgotten about it. I should dig it out of the library. Cheers Vini

3 years ago

Those are some nice recommendations!

I'm currently installing "Constructor Plus". So far, it looks really fun. I'm quite happy with this winter sale find.
I also discovered "Heat Signature". It seems like a game I would enjoy as well.

3 years ago

Heat Signature was one of my top games of 2019, so yes I strongly recommend it!

3 years ago

Got the chance to play hollow knight at the beginning of quarantine. Ton of fun and highly recommend for anyone that enjoys a challenge

3 years ago

Thx for multiple chances.
This year i especially enjoyed playing:
1) Yakuza Kiwami - my first entry in Yakuza series and i had so much fun playing that game, good story, nice atmosphere of Japan and interesting fighting system, plus lots of side missions and mini-game, overall amazing game.
2) Shadow of War - great sequel to Shadow of Mordor, game was destroyed in early reviews for pay to win approach, but devs cut that money-grabbing trash out of the game and its been great after that. Some interesting DLC too.
3) Batman Telltale - both seasons, great story, no gameplay to speak of since its basically "watch a cutscene - choose dialogue option - punch some QTE" but i enjoyed it, first season a bit worse, but second one is great, didn't see Joker like that before.
4) FIFA 21 - i got Play Pro subscription for a year and got playing this game way too much since i am football fan, Ultimate Team is very addictive.
5) AC Odyssey - i am still playing it because its long game, hopefully i beat it during New Year holidays but what a beautifully done game, enjoying it immensely.

3 years ago

It's hard to choose since I did 83 games this year along with another five that didn't have any type of ending or way to complete them but I sunk some time into them. Anyways on to what I would say probably stuck out the most for me:

A Plague Tale: The second game I beat this year and I loved it. Fantastic story with great voice acting and characters you really feel for. This could possibly be my favorite of the year. A buddy bought it for me last Christmas and I beat it in January. I can't wait for a sequel and I consider it a must-play game.

Yakuza Kiwami: The Yakuza series is one of my favorites. The first one I played in the series was part three and it brought a tear to my eye. Once the others came out I started back with zero and then this one. The over the top characters are so damn great in this series. All the random side stories can be a blast too. This is a game where you need to adventure and meet as many people as possible. You never know what you'll miss if you just run straight through the main story.

Last of Us 2: Yes I really enjoyed this game. I know a lot of people shit on it but I actually played it and enjoyed it. I think what they did with the story was heartbreaking, and a tragic experience of two people who lost people they loved, and see what happens when you let revenge get the better of you. There were moments in this game that weren't a part of the main story and you could only see them if you explored. Like one of my favorite moments when Ellie finds an old music store where she finds a guitar that she picks up and plays. It was a nice moment of happiness in a world filled with despair.

Carrion: A fun little metroidvania style game where you got to play as the monster. It was something fresh and it ended up 100% it.

Salt & Sanctuary: Damn this game was tough. I went into not knowing it was a Souls type game. I almost gave up but I decided to play it like an old JRPG and got to grinding. Then I would go fight a boss and keep going till I won. Over time I got a lot better with the combat and the game turned out to be my first souls type game I beat. Definitely, a must-play.

Steins Gate: So I haven't played a lot of visual novels so nothing really stuck out before. This game was great. It's a lot of reading but damn was the story great. If you like a good sci-fi story it's worth checking out. I know VN games aren't everyone's cup of tea and I was one of those. This game was quality though. I look forward to playing the others in the series and the remake which adds the anime scenes. That's also something I plan on doing to is watching the anime.

I could keep going but I'd be here for a while. Some other honorable mentions though which I had a blast playing are:

Borderlands 3 & DLC, Doom Eternal, Blasphemous, Little Nightmares & DLC, Skautfold: Shrouded in Sanity, Spider-Man Remastered(Beat original on PS4 when it first came out and then the Remastered on PS5), My Friend Pedro, and Valfaris.

My goal for next year is to try and beat 100 games. Not sure if it'll happen but it'll be fun trying.

3 years ago*

For me it's weirdly enough, non-steam game, I usually don't play games that are not on steam but I was bored and game looked like something I would enjoy, turned out it sucked me in so hard, I spent hours and hours day by day playing it, it Genshin Impact, I started playing not long ago, when 1.1 ver was already out, it my GOTY for sure. (Didn't spent money on gambling things, gacha etc, just free to play, enjoying in story, and because I started later, I finished content of 1 and 1.1 just when they now dropped new 1.2 update with so many things in it) From Steam, I play lots of my backlog but brain is kinda foggy atm, can't really say what did I enjoy the most but I am mostly playing catchup with backlog on steam.

3 years ago

Deleted

3 years ago

1. Cyberpunk 2077. One of best games in my life.
  2. Persona 4 Golden
  3. Hollow Knight
3 years ago

I'm trying to think of all the games I played this year. I finished Pillars of Eternity earlier this year, though I started it in 2019. I took some breaks to play other games so not to burn myself out. I'm currently Playing Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire, but I won't finish it this year.

Others that stand that I finished out are:
Disco Elysium
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Prey
Amnesia: Rebirth (I think Amnesia: Rebirth is the only game released in 2020 that I've played.)
Talos Principle

3 years ago

I finished Pillars this year too!

3 years ago

Thanks for the thread and the GA! :o)

I think it hasn't been mentioned around here yet but "Hunt: Showdown" is my top game of 2020. Very entertaining to play with friends, successful environment, allows many different ways to face a game whether you are a true ninja or a Rambo who doesn't feel his legs. Waiting for the new map announced for next year.

Hunt: Showdown

3 years ago

Apex Legends
Black Mesa
Divinity: Original Sin 2 (although first part was better)

3 years ago

Just one gem that I really enjoyed, maybe some of you guys haven't heard of it:
King of Dragon Pass
Its a very unique game, and the art, lore and soundtrack are excellent and carefully crafted.
For me, this is one hell of a masterpiece. It may not be for everybody.
Give it a try, it is also on sale now.

3 years ago

Mortal kombat 11 - mainly for my daughter, but it's still a blast to play

Pillars of Eternity - finally finished it. I need a brake before I can go to PoE 2

Sid Meier's Colonization (classic) - reinstalled it for thanksgiving; damn, that's a tight game.

Dirt Rally - best racing game ever?

Tomb Raider - shadow? rise? what's the difference?

She Remembers Caterpillars - a cute puzzler that's just the right difficulty level.
Divide by Sheep - a bloody puzzler that's just the right difficulty level

Offworld Trading Company - It's great to have an RTS that doesn't take an entire day to play

Prison Architect - I'm sure I'm only scraping the surface of this game, but it's a challenge to build a good prison.
Honorable mentions: Frostpunk, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution; they all lost my interest after a while - the fun wears off too soon, and it just doesn't have the same grip as, say, Cities Skylines. and, for FrostPunk, once you figure the game out, it's just going through the motions; every game becomes the same

3 years ago

I bought No Man's Sky for my birthday last year but my PC couldn't handle it, so this year I got a new PC and I cranked it up for the first time. It took a little while to get into but I loved it and the constant updates from the devs keep improving the game. I have sunk hundreds of hours in and am now a little bored of it but keep it installed and jump in every now and then even if just to explore a little bit.

Children of Morta has been a blast with its beautiful style and well balanced game progression. I still haven't finished but I want to find out how the family fares through their trials and tribulations.

Crying Suns was a fun little FTL like including a few of its own tricks. I played through the story once and don't know if I'll go back but thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have recently started Death Stranding and love it. It can be a bit slow going but it is beautiful, intriguing, mysterious and quirky and the story will keep my playing even if it does get a little frustrating.

With all the buzz around Spelunky 2 releasing I decided to try the original Spelunky since it was sitting in my library. I've enjoyed it and so have my kids but it does tend to induce a bit of rage quitting and it may be a bit difficult for us to really make any progress.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.