SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB:
183€ OC version cost 195€
No free games :(, some days ago ended the Never Settle Reloaded promotion that gave 4 games, at least in my country, I don't know if they'll rerun it, but my friend bought a 7790 that gave 3 games and AMD says they run out of Bioshock Infinite keys and he have to wait.
1280 x Stream Processors
1000 MHz Core Clock
OpenGL 4.3
DirectX 11.1
memory bandwidth and speed:
256 -bit GDDR5
4800 MHz Effective

ASUS GTX 660 Ti DirectCU:
209€ OC version cost the same now( but normally not, don't know if still be when I will buy it)
Free Splinter Cell Blacklist Deluxe Edition
CUDA Cores 1344
PhysX
GPU Boost Clock : 980 MHz
GPU Base Clock : 915 MHz
OpenGL 4.4
DirectX 11.0
Memory bandwidth and speed:
192-bit GDDR5
6008 MHz

Spend the extra money on a GTX 660 ti? I saw that 7870 GHz Edition is practically the same as 660 ti in performance, but has DirecX 11.1 and OpenGL 4.3, the 660 Ti has DirectX 11.0 and OpenGL 4.4, don't know what is better OpenGL or DirectX.

5C7YG-YGTH3-62440 ^.^

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

It is indeed practically the same and those OpenGL / DirectX versions won't make much difference. Go for the one you personally prefer. Some people experience technical issues (e.g. driver errors) with AMD, others have a smooth experience with either brand... It really is up to you.

Also, both Sapphire and Asus are very decent rebrands, I'd personally go for Sapphire though, their cooling is great thus ensures that the card will have a longer life span.

1 decade ago

Both seem alright. I think it's just down to personal preference for you - do you like Nvidia or AMD better when it comes to their software and such...

1 decade ago

I liked the 7870 Ghz Edition, but now they don't give free games :(, so I don't know, but if buying a 660 ti is like paying 25€ more for the Splinter Cell Blacklist Deluxe Edition that it includes.

1 decade ago

You'll get better overall performance out of the 7870 unless you really need that DirectCU.

Check your games out. If it uses DirectCU, you will REALLY WANT a 660 Ti.

Otherwise, you'll be much happier with the 7870. Without overclocking, expect it to keep working five years from now.

1 decade ago

But DirectCU II is not just a cooling method? how it affects games?

1 decade ago

Bah, I was thinking of DirectCompute and such. I just woke up. I was looking for PhysX in my head, and my head decided to land on DirectCU. My bad.

Definitely go with the 7870. Higher data width for faster texture transfers from hard drive and RAM to the card's VRAM, while higher core clocks mean fps potentially goes higher. Basically the 660 Ti only has PhysX and the Nvidia name to keep it in the race. Avoid unless it's a lot cheaper than the 7870.

See what sort of pack-in deals they can give you, like how a lot of AMD cards come with free Steam codes for Tomb Raider and such. Check for package deals with other hardware you're interested in. Look for mail-in rebates.

1 decade ago

this instead, XT is much better than normal 7870 and 660Ti http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1160&pid=1790&lid=1

1 decade ago

There is no XT version in this store unfortunately :(, there is a FLex that cost 225€.

1 decade ago

Another store? also if you go with the 7870 (which I would) get the Tahiti LE models as they have a newer chipset. For example VTX3D AMD Radeon HD 7870 Black Edition OC (Tahiti LE) 2GB GDDR5

1 decade ago

Getting a 7870 with next generation's chipset means it may overclock better. It's the same reason why the 7770 is such a great buy for its price.

Each successive generation tends to use less power per MHz and/or produce less heat, leaving you with more OC potential. I wouldn't bother with OC unless you're bothered by your current performance, however. Consider overclocking your current GPU if you're just going to junk it if you haven't tried overclocking yet, because OCing can damage a card.

I remember reviews for the 7850 (or 7870 non-GHz edition, I forget) which said that it could easily overclock to 7870 GHz Edition performance, but since I haven't owned either card, I can't say firsthand. Potential money saver there, but consider that a factory overclock is covered under warranty while a home OC generally is not.

1 decade ago

There is not a lot options in Spain, there is one store that sell all at good price, and othee stores sell all things for 20-30€ more depending on price too, other stores are like reselling all this to get 20-30€ difference, the other Option is Amazon.es for same price. The XT on amazon cost 227€.

1 decade ago

Ah, that's a shame when local shops possess an effective monopoly and price the competing imports out of reasonable competition. One of the negatives of the internet, I guess.

Back in the day, you could import Japanese SNES/PSX games to the USA for lower price than USA retail, including shipping. That didn't last very long for PSX, but SNES was awesome. We just modified the Japanese cartridges to fit our American SNES systems and things just worked. No region lockout.

1 decade ago

Here ppl buy console games from England, it cost less even with shipping.

1 decade ago

Nice, so you know the advantage you have over the non-computer users.

I know what you say of Amazon, that there is no price advantage there for Spain. What about Newegg?

1 decade ago

Why not a 7950, it's pretty much the same price than 7870 with better performance.

1 decade ago

because it's 250€ minimum and they can up price to 280€ easily, not same price here.

1 decade ago

Someone knows if they'll up the Never Settle bundle again?

1 decade ago

i heard a rumor, about never settle bundle with BF 4, not sure the source is but i heard it @ some group steamchat :)
i think you should wait a bit

1 decade ago

With more games being ported to Linux, I'm pretty sure that the GTX 660 Ti is the way to go.

1 decade ago

I will play on Windows 7 :S, not Linux, until Linux replaces Windows, but for that time these GPUs will be old.

1 decade ago

Even still, I do believe more indies are using OpenGL instead of DirectX.

1 decade ago

Obviously the Sapphire HD7870...;p

1 decade ago

I see a lot of ppl complaining about 7870 GHz Edition, because Sapphire shipped some defected GPUs and ppl have Black Screen, lags, etc because of that, only affecting some Graphics card from last dates, so when you buying a 7870 Ghz Edition you have chance of having a defected one that you will have to return after, and they will have to give you a good one.

But it's a good store, so I'm sure they'll solve the problem if I get a defected one.

1 decade ago

as i say to everyone nvidia was the best card at perfomance for current gen because of the usage of nvidia stuff in consoles now that consoles runs with amd stuff i prefer amd

1 decade ago

I preffer whatever is best for the price, I saw thread before about "7790 v 650 ti" 7790 is obviously better than 650 ti not Boost, but some ppl still prefered 650 ti just because is Nvidia, that's stupid. You should go for the best for the price.

1 decade ago

well i usually go for what future of gaming will need and now from gpu that games needs is amd and trust me i read articles from developers that they optimize games for amd

1 decade ago

I asked pccomponentes support they said AMD removed all codes because current Never Settle Reloaded ended, so if in your store is still available hurry up, here is already gone. They said AMD will make another Never Settle Reloaded but date is unknown.

1 decade ago

To make you feel better about free games, the Blacklist Geforce give is activated on Uplay

1 decade ago

I liked to sell that game if getting a 660 ti, but I think I will get an 7870 Ghz Edition better.

1 decade ago

Then again, all the current Ubi games starting from AC2 have all been using UPlay, one way or another.

1 decade ago

nVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

1 decade ago

+1

I bought 660 ti 5months ago. Now I will buy 760 oc.

1 decade ago

Go for whichever one fits your budget. They're both great performers. Also, DirectX 11.1 is only available if you run Win8 (pretty lame if you ask me).

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by lordcataclysm10.