Giro d'Italia 2018

Also running: Spanish Grand Prix 2018

Here we are again; with Tom winning last year, how can I not do another event? :)

How it works

Predict who is going to win each stage of the Giro.

• Leave your predictions on the giveaway for that stage (they all include maps and profiles and a link to the official site).
  • Do not edit your predictions if you want to change it; delete the old one and create a new one.
  • Below is a table with all stages but you can go the first one and use the "next stage" link on there to go through all of them.
  • We're not going to make it too easy so anyone who just spams the same rider for all stages will be disqualified.

Preview

This event is a little more limited than the Tour de France event; no Tour Touristique and the preview is just a direct copy/paste from the official site. I did add some suggestions, more to follow.

Sites
Official Site
Wikipedia (This page could do with a lot more stats.)

Favorites
Here's a quick listing of a few riders for the general qualification victory.

• Gotta start with Chris Froome though not necessarily cause he is the top favorite... It is rumoured he was paid around 1.5 million Euros to start in the Giro this year but now there's the salbutamol case that is hanging over his head. If found guilty he might be stripped of any victories since that test and that would make riding the Giro pointless. There's a very small chance the verdict will come down before the end of the Giro but personally I don't see that happening. Another interesting possibility is that Froome might give up on the Giro at some point when he figures a Tour de France victory this year might be in danger (assuming he values those more than Giro victories; he has zero Giro victories right now, but should he win he'll have a three in a row grand tour victories). Should he quit the Giro it's going to be really interesting to see what all the other Tour de France favorites in the Giro will do; will they quit as well to be just as prepared as Froome?
  • Tom Dumoulin won last year and this year there will be a lot more pressure on him and his team. I'm hoping for a repeat performance! There are lot fewer time trial kilometres this year so it's not going to be easy. The good news is that he reportedly has his "toilet stops" under control.
  • All Italian hope will be on Fabio Aru now that Vincenzo Nibali isn't here.
  • French hopeful Thibaut Pinot was fourth last year.
  • Esteban Chaves (Mitchelton-Scott) and Miguel Ángel López (Astana) are both light climbers that are very well suited for the stages we have in the Giro this year. Their time trials leave a lot to be desired though so they will have to attack hard in the mountains; fortunately that's exactly what they love to do. Chaves will have Simon Yates to help him, or will Simon secretly be the one going for the title?
  • Kiwi George Bennett is the man for LottoNL-Jumbo this year. This means that Robert Gesink will have more freedom to go for a stage win like in the Vuelta and Tour last year.

Stages

Date Stage (Giveaway) Steam
May 4 Jerusalem (Israel) – Jerusalem (Israel) Stranded In Time
May 5 Haifa (Israel) – Tel Aviv (Israel) Star Merc
May 6 Beersheba (Israel) – Eilat (Israel) Cook, Serve, Delicious!
May 8 Catania – Caltagirone Deranged Rabbits
May 9 Agrigento – Santa Ninfa NO THING
May 10 Caltanissetta – Mount Etna DRAGON: A Game About a Dragon
May 11 Pizzo – Praia a Mare Micron
May 12 Praia a Mare – Montevergine Carrie's Order Up!
May 13 Pesco Sannita – Gran Sasso Disgraced
May 15 Penne – Gualdo Tadino Aerannis
May 16 Assisi – Osimo SimpleRockets
May 17 Osimo – Imola Just Hero
May 18 Ferrara – Nervesa della Battaglia Madrobot X
May 19 San Vito al Tagliamento – Monte Zoncolan HyperRogue
May 20 Tolmezzo – Sappada Richard & Alice
May 22 Trento – Rovereto Save Halloween: City of Witches
May 23 Riva del Garda – Iseo Oozi: Earth Adventure
May 24 Abbiategrasso – Prato Nevoso Island Defense
May 25 Venaria Reale – Bardonecchia The Charnel House Trilogy
May 26 Susa – Cervinia The Flock
May 27 Rome – Rome Merger 3D
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Rohan Dennis shows his class today.

Baring any real calamities the Giro GC victory will go to Yates.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Elia Viviani takes his fourth victory...

View attached image.
5 years ago

He's the strongest and smartest sprinter in this Giro and the Giro isn't over yet. :-)

5 years ago

Maximillian Schachmann wins; victory number 36 for Quick-Step this season.

Amazing how much time Yates lost in the final 800 metres; what happened there?

View attached image.
5 years ago

Finally Yates showed he's human too! If this isn't a single exception to the rule, we'll have 2 huge stages, even Pozzovivo and Froome (to my dismay...) could get back for the Pink! Hopefully 2 great days of racing for us :))

5 years ago

Schachmann!!!

Quick-Step keeps on winning and the Giro got even more exciting.

5 years ago

Holy fuck, what is happening in the Giro today??!!

View attached image.
View attached image.
5 years ago*

What an amazing day of cycling!

That 80km solo by Froome is something hardly ever seen these days. I'm reminded of certain days in the Tour de France where the next day the soloist lost a lot of time.

Can't wait for tomorrow; the last mountain stage is going to decide all!

View attached image.
5 years ago*

amazing indeed. what a solo by Froome and what a total deception for Yates... Dumoulin still 2nd but my bet is he didn't see this turn of events happening :) Let's see if Froome can defend his lead tomorrow!

5 years ago

I'm still at loss for words....
I have lots of doubts about Froome, anyway as things stand this is probably the greatest feat in modern cycling!

Also, anything can stil happen tomorrow :)

5 years ago

Before this stage, I didnt see Froome win the stage and I neither saw Yates ending the stage in 79' place.

I was so wrong! ^^

5 years ago

Happy Cake Day, LostSoul!

5 years ago

Thanks a lot, Corran!

5 years ago

I am not really surpised by Froome winning, nor Yates losing the maglia rosa after already losing some time in the previous stage. However Froome destroying everyone in such a way and Yates losing 36 minutes certainly was unexpected. Also lots of tactical mistakes both by Michelton-Scott (they did work way too much on previous stages for no reason like their silly chase on stage 17 when Poels was in the break) and Dumoulin who never should have waited for Reichenbach twice which probably did cost him a minute.

Also happy cake day! :)

5 years ago

This shows that cycling is much more than riding fast but also being smart and having strategy is important.

Thanks a lot, Blubbers! :-)

5 years ago

Mikel Nieve with the fifth(?) win for Mitchelton-Scott this Giro. They didn't win the GC but I think they probably didn't expect this many wins beforehand.

Real shame that Gesink needed a new bike but he probably wouldn't have caught up.

So Froome wins the GC; now what if next week he'll be found guilty for the salbutamol use in the Vuelta? The system really needs to change.

View attached image.
5 years ago*

The system really needs to change.

Definitely !!

Anyway, this Giro was super-hard and everybody is obviously with very little left. I'm curious to see, for those who will do the Tour too, how much they will have left, considering that in recent years we have always seen how hard it is to peak in both races.

5 years ago

Yeah, it's physically impossible to do well in both (or at last it should be...).

I'm wondering if Tom and others might now decide to just skip the Tour and focus on the Vuelta.

5 years ago

Sam Bennett takes the final stage of this year's Giro d'Italia.

It's been a very eventful and hard Giro; all of those mountain stages must have absolutely wrecked the riders.

Thanks to everyone who participated, I hope to see you all at the Tour de France event in July!

View attached image.
5 years ago*

I'll be there! ;-)

5 years ago

Thanks to you for putting up this event and to everybody who took part :)

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.