I'm thinking about getting a 29" or 34" LG UltraWide for productivity, but I'm concerned that most of the older games won't support the resolution (2560x1080), so I'm wondering if anyone here on SG already made the switch and what your experience has been. I'm guessing that for games that don't support 2560x1080, I would be able to use 1920x1080 or smaller with black bands on each side? If that's the case, than I'm totally fine with it. I'm just worried about stretched images, or blurry text, other image deformations, or games just plain not starting, etc.

So if you are already using a 21:9 monitor for gaming, what has your experience been playing older (and really old games) on it?

P.S. No giveaway here, don't bother looking.

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Rocking a 34 inch predator over here. It can be frustrating because some games don't even have x 1440 when they don't have that I use x 1080.
Sometimes I get black lines sometimes I have to play windowed. Most games don't offer 3440x1440 so I hope you have better luck with 2560 x 1080. When it zooms in or stretches things I just play in windowed at a resolution it doesn't mess up at.
Just be prepared to put it in a window and play it that way. Dragon Quest Heroes will not play full screen for me without cutting the top and bottom off. I don't know why even under different resolutions, so I just have to play windowed.
Not super helpful but I hope it gives you some insight.

7 years ago

Thanks for the reply, that's what I was worried about

7 years ago

I have a 21:9 34 inch LG 2560x1080. Haven't been playing much older games, but I am really happy with the buy.

BTW check this database for 21:9 support in games

7 years ago

Thanks for the link!

7 years ago

I've got a 29 inch. Some older games take an extra minute to load to fit properly. I haven't seen anything too crazy, but I haven't played a lot of older games also.

7 years ago

P.S. No giveaway here, don't bother looking.
Searches more thoroughly!

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question, I'm still hanging on to my 4:3 CRT's!
OK, I have 16:10 monitors, but they're old enough to be CRT's; in fact I used one of them together with a 19" CRT before it got replaced!

7 years ago

Closed 7 years ago by NucularS.