According to the announcement

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse#announcements

-People will be notified at 5pm EST (2pm PST)

-US Only (cue the international complaints lol)

Good luck to all of you in being chosen. I dont expect to be, but damn, I'm hopeful.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Meh..Europe is better

1 decade ago

My butt is hurting.

1 decade ago

Better use some lube next time...

1 decade ago

and im gonna explode now!

1 decade ago

Why? :/

1 decade ago

Probably constipation.

1 decade ago

Perhaps its time to put the seat back on the bicycle, then.

1 decade ago

This world is crazy...

1 decade ago

US is the world.

1 decade ago

I ain't even mad

Good luck to you guys in the US.

1 decade ago

At least i got a badge for participate. That was all i wanted...

1 decade ago

Its time to SAY HEllO to ORIGIN and GOODBYE TO Steam because valve only love their US users only. arghhh!!

1 decade ago

See ya.

1 decade ago

Yeah, it's like saying goodbye to your car and changing it to a tricycle.

1 decade ago

+1; I never liked Origin. They don't nearly have as many games as Steam. They're download servers are slow as hell. BUT THEY CHARGE YOU TAX FOR ONLINE GAMES DAFUQ; although they're support is totally better than Steam's.

1 decade ago

But are they willing to give refunds more than Steam?

1 decade ago

Sure, use Origin now since Steam did'nt gave you a chance to get free stuff.

1 decade ago

Overreact much?

1 decade ago

well this was expected. these kind of things are always US only ir europe only.

1 decade ago

Sore butts everywhere.

1 decade ago

Lol, non-US users respond to Valve's decision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eBYLTnI1po

1 decade ago

Damn that bleeping is so annoying.

1 decade ago

lol :D

1 decade ago

WHAT!! I wipe my arse on old glory and piss on the declaration of independence!

But seriously, you people are really angry about this. This isn't even something to be angry about. Chill out and have a nice time, don't give yourself a myocardial infarction over not being given a free console.

1 decade ago

I can see why people are annoyed at this US only thing since they never mentioned this until the last minute. Me? I only did it for the badge, if I actually got one that would be a bonus.

1 decade ago

Par for the course. Valve never pre-plan for this kind of shit. It's like they never bother to research anything.

1 decade ago

Jesus, I don't get why everyone are so mad.
At least be happy that they have a beta, with random Steam-user allowed to enter. Not like Sony or M$ would ever do that.
They probably also tried the hardest they did. Don't give up on Gaben guys ;_;

1 decade ago

At least Microsoft and Sony wouldn't give us false pretences that we could be a part of a beta only tell us right on the day that it's not happening.

1 decade ago

They prob'ly waited until the last day because they were trying to find a way to make it work in the rest of the world. However, I must admit that I find it a bit odd that Canadians can't get one, since (I would've thought) it should be easier to work something out with a country bordering the US

1 decade ago

how about looking hard into it BEFORE collecting entries from around the world? is it expecting too much from a company the size of valve?

1 decade ago

Well, "US only" is a shame. But hey, at least we tried ;)

1 decade ago

I got the Steam Family Sharing beta access at least, which is something a lot more useful than a piece of hardware that can't play 75+% of the Steam Library.

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 months ago.

1 decade ago

Editing out my personal information then, might as well give them fake information back

1 decade ago

That will show them. That will truly show Valve how displeased you are.

1 decade ago

It's not a retribution or anything, just don't want my information out there for nothing and I can't simply delete it.

1 decade ago

Your information is only shown if you are chosen, and if you are chosen and your information is wrong, then you wont get the hardware since your address and everything else will be wrong.

1 decade ago

It's stored on a server, that might not even be encrypted. And there's no chance of being sent anything if you're not from the United States, so I'd rather just take it off.

1 decade ago

First and last name, city, state, telephone (home) and home address are all public information already. Nothing to be gained in "hacking" into valve's servers or any other retailer's server where you bought something and had it shipped to you just to get your address and name.

1 decade ago

Worth it alone for changing my cellphone number then

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 months ago.

1 decade ago

US KISS MY Ass we speak , i think this is unfair.

1 decade ago

You are free to pay your countries duty taxes on a 400+ machine, as well as any actual tax dictated by your government. In the end, you might find it cheaper to just buy the machine outright.

Valve is a US based company, so its little shock that they want US users for the beta, if only to save on shipping. Lets also not forget that YOU WERE BLOODY TOLD IT WAS US ONLY.

So stop crying like a baby, and as my mama always said, "tough shit, life aint fair honey."

1 decade ago

We were never told. I remember reading the terms at the time, it went no further than stating that people in certain regions would need to cover the extra costs to receive it. Nothing about country restrictions.

1 decade ago

I remember clearly that it was stated as being US only. First day in on the hardware beta announcement, the chat had 10 people ask, and 10 different people answer that it was US only.

I could be wrong, but thats what I remember anyway.
The recent announcement does say, "not our original plan" so theirs that.

1 decade ago

Too bad they never mentioned it elsewhere then. I myself was kind of worried about it, but nothing in the text gave me (or any other users here) any reason to believe it was US only at the time, which really should have been included if they had already decided it then. Like I said in another comment, our participation amounted to nothing more than giving Valve information that is normally harvested and sold by certain distasteful companies. I don't like giving out that information wily nily, so I'm rightfully pissed if they didn't intend to do anything with it for anyone outside the US.

1 decade ago

+1
It is the same thing as in person to person relationships - if one wants to be respected, then he/she should respect other(s), but if this mutual respect is broken by one side... well then... this relationship does not work anymore like it should be.
It is about principles how one company treats its customers and in this case maybe I (and many others) expected too much from one company. Nobody likes to be used and lied to.

1 decade ago

steam machines are soooooo overrated, they are just m-atx pc's with preinstalled steamos.

1 decade ago

Pretty much. Though it might be more about the "first" factor. First to get their hands on something and so they want to feel special. Or they just want to sell it to people for a grand or so...
I wouldnt mind getting my hands on the steam OS though.

1 decade ago

yep, im waiting for steamos too (i hope it will be a little more than a reskinned linux distro)

1 decade ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 decade ago

Wait, so far no-one suggested to bring in his/her lawyer and sue Valve?

I'm really disappointed :Þ

1 decade ago

Well... Not a nice beginning to embrace steam worldwide users, so I guess steam is just expecting to sell this steam machines only to the US costumers, because it’s not nice inviting their international users to participate in this bad joke, and later just telling they just wanted to waste our time and expectations, and that we never were in their plans since the very beginning, that is very disrespectful.

Well anyway PC gaming must stay where it belongs, with powerful and real PC Hardware, and consoles with the serious and respected console makers as Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft.(I really miss you Sega!!!)

Cheer up guys, Next Gen consoles are already here, so I’m sure we aren’t missing a thing. Our loved PCs are just great for our PC games, which is the platform they are really designed for, and where they will really shine!!! My best wishes to all!!! :-)

1 decade ago

It's sad but they originally wanted and planned for worldwide beta test, but they ran into problems.
I'm sure if valve could do a worldwide test they would if they could, what would they possibly gain by not including
the rest of the world? A lot of the comments I'm reading here show the maturity of some folks here...

Also I can pretty much guarantee that most of the people complaining about submitting their personal information complaining,Would have most likely filled it out anyway to get that stupid steam badge/points anyway.

1 decade ago

"what would they possibly gain by not including the rest of the world?"

Less money they'd need to pay in shipping.

1 decade ago

I really really doubt the issue is about money/saving money on shipping is the problem mate.
Especially if they are giving away 300 prototype machines with expensive parts, saving money on shipping is probably not the cause.

1 decade ago

I'm pretty sure they intend to take them back after beta tests.

Which might be a reason - easier to hunt people in US only then whole world :P

1 decade ago

lol

1 decade ago

Finally, someone who made me feel better.

1 decade ago

Wrong, the recipient would have to pay shipping cost

1 decade ago

If we would have given the information or not is completely irrelevant to Valve breaking the agreement I had with them. As in: I give them my data for a chance to get into the beta. I completed my part of the deal, yet Valve didnt give me the chance they promissed me in return.

Arguements like: "you would have given it anyway", "the chance you would have gotten a machine was tiny even if you had a chance", and "Trade agreements made it impossible for Valve".. /sigh.. They are all irrelevant to the matter at hand. Valve broke the agreement and so people have the right to be upset. Although Im mostly upset by the blatant stupidity in the posts that try to talk right what Valve did.

1 decade ago

Everyone that is screaming is acting like they were promised to get a steam machine. There are only 300 going out, you wouldn't have gotten one anyway.

This reminds me of the 2011 winter sale, with the big prize of getting all the games on steam. A lot raging that they didn't win because of the coal farmers. Keep pouting and stomping your feet like children.

1 decade ago

We aren't complaining because we thought we'd get it at all. We're complaining because Valve didn't give us a single word it'd be limited to US-only residents until today. That stems bullshit. You'd think they would have at least checked before the day they picked winners to see if it was going to be possible or not.

1 decade ago

"US only", that was obvious, and was the reason because i didn't participate

1 decade ago

The likely-hood of me getting one is less than 0%. Or at least it feels that way :(

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by BahDerb.