The Orion Project popped up in my Steam queue today and caught my attention, partly due to being a very ambitious project that doesn't appear to have an army of vastly disappointed reviews (an extremely rare combination!) and partly for being dirt cheap. reading up on what the game is and what it plans to be, and it being Early Access, I'd normally think it's far too good to be true and leave it be. BUT this is their second release and both their first game and this early access have "mostly positive" review state, the developers regularly update the players (apparently both in and out of game) and, as I said, it costs bugger all. so I'm taking a chance on it and figured it'd probably interest some fellow steamgifters too

Founder Status seems to be some free items bundled in that would otherwise cost a currency you can either earn in game or buy with real life money

8 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

From what I remember their previous game got terrible reviews at launch and then after a re-brand/relaunch they managed to pull it back and get their current positive ratings. The ratings this time round would indicate that they've learnt from their mistakes.

8 years ago

They have many times announced a permanent price reduction to $1. This is not exactly a deal.

8 years ago

Not sure what you've been reading, but as someone who has been following the project from the start, that's simply not true.

While they have said the base game will be offered at a lower price once the game leaves EA, they've also always noted that purchasing the EA version of the game includes access to all initially planned future DLCs/Expansions for free.

In fact, this is from their current sale announcement:

Guardians of Orion will be FREE to play and $1 to own from April 25 to May 2, 2016. Buying it during this period grants you Founder Access which contains over $100 worth of items and content.

and from their EA description:

“Early Access (2015) will be the most affordable time to opt into the experience. There will be a price increase with the Official Version (2016) and the Special Edition (2017).
The sooner you buy, the less you pay. Owners of the Early Access version automatically receive the Official Version and a Steam version of the Special Edition.”

And finally, from their previous announcements:

Founder Access Members
Receive the following perks:

1. Ten Guardians ($70 value)
  2. 20,000 Store Credits ($20 value)
  3. Gold Armor Skin ($2 value)
  4. Gold Weapon Skin ($2 value)
  5. Founder Ingame Icon (TBD value)
  6. 50% Store Savings for life (priceless)
8 years ago

I think it is a great business strategy! This will make all Early Access players won't be disappointed ever when it leave EA (and even when it is on a big sale).

8 years ago

So basically if you buy it now for 1$ you'll get the Official release and the Special Edition plus the listed bonus for free and automatically, just by buying it now?
If so I'm in :P

8 years ago

So long as you log in to the game prior to the game going live, then yes [since the server activates founder status based on an account being fully activated prior to the launch date].

I obviously can't attest to the reliability of future plans, but currently you do get access to [more than just the listed free-to-play classes].

Fact is, even if the game and all its content ends up going completely 100% free one day in the far future, you'll still have ended up coming square just by the store credits/cosmetics/store discount perks, even without acknowledging the benefit of getting access to everything right away.

There really doesn't seem to be any reason not to go for it now, if you're interested in the game. :)

8 years ago

Previously they wrote http://steamcommunity.com/games/407840/announcements/detail/852673113619459733
=> founder only "now if you pay $2", In Feb, and
"May 2016 rolls around and GUARDIANS OF ORION becomes $1 for Non-Founders." => promise of permanent $1 price

8 years ago

I'm glad someone else brought that up.
I've been.. less than pleased about that. And it's not just there, I found four separate instances where they clearly stated $2 was as cheap as EA was going to go.
Steam refused me a refund because of it, despite the obviously valid reason, and thus far I haven't been able to get a hold of the company at all [their website seems to be down and they're not responding on Steam].

I mean, the company otherwise has a good reputation, and the quality of the game looks good, and it's still a good deal at $2..
..but boy do I feel misused. :/

That aside, they did mention the $1 post- launch price from early on, so that part at least isn't a surprise.

8 years ago

OMG I'm so getting this! I will try it first though, but I have faith in the game :D

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

8 years ago

you can play a 'solo' game by creating a private game without inviting others or play offline which has separate xp from multiplayer mode, presumably so that you can't use offline cheats to give an unfair edge in online

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

I have both games in the series, it's definitely worth it.

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

Given how much you get (see above) for an EA purchase, it's damn well worth the investment, I think. :)

8 years ago

Deleted

8 years ago

Here it is 0.99 euros,not 0.88 euros , but it's still a good price for a very good game,i tryed it,it's worth it.

8 years ago

thanks, I'll fix the title. I used a currency converter to work out the price but I guess it's not as simple as that

8 years ago

More often than not, for prices, we see the same number in Europe as in the US, it's just that the symbol is different (i.e. $=€).

8 years ago

Hmm, just bought this. Looks good and thanks for giving me a head up on it! ^.^

8 years ago

Looks good, and since I had(!) more than enough in my steam wallet (thankyou card sales :D) am currently downloading it. Must stop buying cheap stuff with wallet funds, I'm trying to save up for a decent discount on a AAA game...

8 years ago

Game looks nice, but why is it always about killing dinosaurs, even in space, these days? :(
If you do meet dinosaurs in space, Doctor Who had the right idea. /end grumpy dino mumbling

8 years ago

you might enjoy Saints Row 4's "Enter the Dominatrix". just a suggestion :P
spaceraptor!

8 years ago

Is that the one that promised loads of free keys, then gave out **** all?

8 years ago

not that I know of

8 years ago

8 years ago

Killing dinosaurs in space with lasers and robots... yeah, why not?
For £0.69 it might be worth a few minutes of my time someday.
Cheers for the recommendation!

8 years ago

Useful post, thanks, for that price I'm willing to give it a go :)

8 years ago

got it.
thanks!!!

8 years ago

Bump, this is a decent game. :)

8 years ago

I would have bought it but the performances are so poor it doesn't work on my pc :-s ... I have played the previous game and I think it's an ok game, it can be fun but it's definitely rough around the edges. I guess this one is not gonna be super polished either...
(yes, I realize it's early access)

Well, after this discount period is over it's going to be 0.99€ forever so there's not that much of a point in buying now, unless you really really want the "founder" status and the related bonuses.

8 years ago*

I can only purchase "Guardians of Orion" on Orion Project's steam page. Is this the same as Orion Project?

8 years ago*

yes, the name was changed

8 years ago

bump, it's a decent game.

8 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.