Hi SG,

Happy holidays! We have a holiday event starting now and ending on December 25. The event allows users to create custom gift boxes which can be opened by others in the community to reveal giveaways. To get started, follow the below link to browse all of the available gift boxes, or to create one of your own.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
  2. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you do not own the base game for the DLC, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found or what was contained inside of a gift box.

If you have any questions, please ask. I'm looking forward to seeing all the gift box designs. I'll add a few throughout the month with Steam gift cards and games as well. Have fun!

Updates

• You can now open 5 gift boxes each day, instead of one every 12 hours.
  • A dropdown menu named "Browse" has been added to the top of the screen. This allows you to filter gift boxes by "All", "Available" (only those you can open), "Opened", and "Created".
  • If you have a giveaway creator blacklisted, you'll still see their gift boxes on the "Available" page, and the button on the gift box page will display "Open Gift Box". You'll only be blocked when you attempt to open the gift box (this will not count towards your daily limit of 5 to open). This will prevent users from blacklisting a user, and then checking whether or not a gift box remains on the "Available" page to identify if they are the creator.
5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

XD

5 years ago

View attached image.
View attached image.
5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

5 years ago

Not sure if your connection is to blame. Maybe their servers are busy during this event.
I think my connection is decent, with 50k speed, yet it takes a bit for the boxes to load.

5 years ago

thx for sharing

5 years ago

I like that they changed the system from 1 box each 12 hours to 5 boxes a day.
And every box is a surprise.
Most of the time you can't say what's inside.
But that's what makes a wrapped present special.

5 years ago

I open the box and found that I alreaday owned the giveaway game.
This situation is the worst!!!!
Today I encountered such a situation twice. :~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 years ago*

That may be due to the large number of games that Steam is "still learning about." Unfortunately, they don't show in your Steam library, which means SG doesn't see them as "owned."

5 years ago

Steam is "still learning about." Unfortunately, they don't show in your Steam

They do, in profile library and XML library export, but stupidly not in the API. Sadly SG doesn't offer advanced sync methods that even work for banned games.

5 years ago

Tropico 4 Collector's Bundle & Darksiders Franchise Pack are not the games that "Steam is still learning about".
I owned these two games but I still could open the box.
Watse 2 chances to open the box. :~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 years ago

Ah, okay. Unfortunately this has always been an issue with "packs" and "bundles."

Sorry, that is a shame. Hopefully you won't get any more like that!

5 years ago

Got the same thing for DLC...hopefully people will start to think twice about putting DLC in boxes...

5 years ago

or trolls.

the only solution would be to block any gift that isn't in the api from being made gifts. i do hope they keep doing this for other holidays since it's fun and different even if it's something you own.

5 years ago

Yeah, DLC doesn't really have a good solution.

With the packs and bundles, you can always create the giveaway for the base game only -- that way only people who don't own the base game can enter.

5 years ago

Thanks for increasing the number of boxes! At least today I didn't only get the Indiegala Flash trash I got yesterday ;)

5 years ago

Is there a way to hide boxes you can't open? Just a minor inconvenience, but it's still annoying to click 5+ random boxes before finding a box you can actually open.

5 years ago

PLEASE add a link to boxes that we have already opened! I lost the link to a ga after opening it, because I opened a box, my pc had a BSOD, and I lost the url.
Thank you.

5 years ago

Can't you just look at your browsing history?

5 years ago

I ended up going through and reopening in new tabs the 30 or so "happy-holidays/" history items, and eventually found them. Thank you for the suggestion.

5 years ago

You can also search the list and the opened ones are highlighted in green

5 years ago

That is good to know. However, with ESGST and a dark theme on, I could barely see the color difference between the green and the white on my monitor.

5 years ago

How can i see the boxes I already opened somewhere? Ive looked but couldnt find anything.

5 years ago

Through the "Happy Holidays" link you can see all the active boxes, ones you have opened will have a green background to it.
https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

View attached image.
5 years ago

I was hoping for a complete list instead of going through 40+ pages of giveaways searching for a giveaway that I want to go back to now that I have enough points for.

5 years ago

Suggestion: Make the boxes for games you already own not show up for you to waste clicking on -- similar to how SG doesn't show you giveaways for games you own.

Just wasting lots of peoples time/clicks.

5 years ago

I'm agree, it will be great. Hide boxes with already owned games, region lock, etc. Or maybe highlight red background after you checked once.

5 years ago

+1000

5 years ago

I prefer it's a toggle.
It would be a shame to not see the pretty boxes people created. But for actual entering, hell yeah, +1000

5 years ago

Or make it have a red backgorund behind the box. I personally don't mind an extra click, and your idea makes sense, but don't hide the box (automatically, a toggle-filter would be nice), there are so many nice ones.
And in addition, another filters would be useful, at least later in the month - it's great that my previously opened boxes are green, but finding them in 41 pages of boxes is not exactly simple. Having a previously opened option will be really useful later.

5 years ago

+1 on both of Adam's suggestions! :)

5 years ago

Fantastic idea, it's already interesting to see the boxes people come up with. Certainly forced me out of my gifting hibernation, just can't miss being part of this!

I'm also glad that people can't cheat by joining giveaways with direct url, very welcome precaution.

5 years ago

What a nice event :)

5 years ago

hello,

first thanks for that event.

@cg just a bug I think. The event is taking into account any games we already own, but it seams, it doesn't take into account game we hide from the listing :( (not sure 100%, but just happened with shadow of mordor GOTY I already own, but multiple steams subs I believe so, I'm not sure if I arleady hide all of them or if it was an unlucky not yet hidden; but in that case there was no hide icon-button on the entry page ?!? )

5 years ago

Boxes with games in it that you have hidden are still shown, doubt that is a bug, just that some people have so many games hidden, I mean I opened 10 boxes so far and all were hidden games, they don't check that, maybe because it's exploitable if people have everything but 50p games hidden? no idea, but hidden games are still in boxes and you can't encounter them, sadly not much you can do about that

5 years ago

oh that's on purpose ^^

in truth usually 50p have 10k+ entries so I dont see it as an exploit if somebody just enter only those and hide all the rest.

but in that event with the limitation of only 5 entries/day, you are right surely entries number for 50p are going to be low.

5 years ago

Well, lets say it like this, I opened 15 boxes now and expected never to encounter a game not ignored by me BUT found 1, and that with so many ignored games.
Maybe they are afraid the surprise part will be ruined that way, no idea, I am just glad I found a none hidden game and that's enough for me :P

5 years ago

You have 10/15k entries in 50p public 1 lvl GAs. Numbers are way lower in private of group giveaways.

If people could filter all "trash" below 50p and enter only highly-wanted games, then it'd stop to be fun. Only "good boxes" would get entries, as no one would "waste" their chances on "bad bundled GAs". Right now those good AAA games won't get huge number of entries, as there is no simple way to find them. And entries will be more evenly distributed among all boxes.

Also it'd really favor people with huge libraries on Steam, as they'd need to add less "trash" to hidden list, to find only those super nice, newly released AAA games.

5 years ago

My level 0 running 50P non-bundled giveaway is barely above 3000… :|

5 years ago

You didn't put enough confetti in description. So party-people are not interested :thinking:

5 years ago

Also it'd really favor people with huge libraries on Steam

em, you know that owned games cannot be opened, so those with big libraries are indeed already the most favored ones by the current setup.
Allowing to filter would instead level the playing field and especially help with the issues of already owned DLC, banned games and steam-is-learning-games

5 years ago

I know they can't open already owned games.

But someone with 10 000 games in library would have easier time to filter unowned "junk", than someone who has only 200 - 500 games in library. That's what I meant here.

There are people who already own 10k games, and have another 10k filtered. So unless someone would filter out manually enormous number of games, they'd be on disadvantage over them.

I think it's better to have everyone with the same chance to find already owned Shadow of Mordor GOTY in a box, than to favor people that either already filtered thousands of games, or would sat down / use script to filter out all "bad games".

But I do agree that "steam is learning about this" games could removed from this event. As there is no easy way for SG to know that someone already owns it. But it's different from being able to play the system, by filtering "trash" you don't want in order to find nice games.

5 years ago

But someone with 10 000 games in library would have easier time to filter unowned "junk", than someone who has only 200 - 500 games in library.

Yet again the 10K person already has a 10k advantage.
Out of the possible 20k he already has half filtered, while the others don't have anything excluded, and therefore double the chance to get a bad pick just by that number alone.
In reality it is however even far worse as most of the bad games are from cheap bundles that the 10K user already owns, so essentially those have 90% filtered out and therefor a huge advantage.

Allowing to filter exactly allows the small library users to not be at a great disadvantage instead.

It's even the reverse that those with huge libraries rather go for any +1 game while those that keep it low have far less use for those.

But I do agree that "steam is learning about this" games could removed from this event

And banned games and DLC

by filtering "trash" you don't want in order to find nice games.

And I thought things ought to rather be about entering for games you'd want to play, at least previous measures like the big points change ware predominantly justified with that reasoning. The current setup essentially favors the +1 users and does not make sense in the global context.

5 years ago*

I am so happy with the event. Sure I might have only entered 2 giveaways but I love the box designs and opening the box is a reward in itself. I am happy to enter what I did and I don't worry that there are plenty of GAs I could miss. When I go to sleep I miss GAs too :D

Thank you cg again for this event!

View attached image.
5 years ago

Yay! Decided to join this instead of my usual holiday key cleanup (don't have that many keys for a proper 'cleanup' anyway). :)
Only good games will go into boxes though. The bad ones will go the regular way. :)

5 years ago

Amazin Ideaaaa + Crate custom = OOOOOH NICE

5 years ago

Great idea, looks fun, thanks! :)

5 years ago

That's a really awesome idea! It would be great if there was a filter for boxes you can't open because of your contributor level. It took me a lot of time searching for boxes that can be openend.

5 years ago

Can we get some filter/highlight for boxes we can't open for whatever reason so we don't have to try and keep track of them manually.

5 years ago

nice feature

5 years ago

Nice, out of 10 boxes only 1 was trash for 2P. I hope that I am not just lucky and majority of the presents are valuable games :)

5 years ago

Grats. I got lucky only with 1/3 of the boxes opened. Not because the rest was trash, but it was falsely advertised and therefore not interesting for me.

5 years ago

and today...5 craps

5 years ago

There should be a random gift button: When you press it, it would lead to a random unopened gift.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

5 years ago

nice idea, but can you pls hide boxes you can not open(or at last make it obvious without the need to click the box), because it is kind of annoying if you cant open like every 2nd box u click.

5 years ago

Even more so when one in ten is something you can actually open, only yo find out a "Steam is learning" game you already own.

5 years ago

Классная идея!

5 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by cg.