Hi SG,

Happy holidays! We have a holiday event starting now and ending on December 25. The event allows users to create custom gift boxes which can be opened by others in the community to reveal giveaways. To get started, follow the below link to browse all of the available gift boxes, or to create one of your own.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
  2. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you do not own the base game for the DLC, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found or what was contained inside of a gift box.

If you have any questions, please ask. I'm looking forward to seeing all the gift box designs. I'll add a few throughout the month with Steam gift cards and games as well. Have fun!

Updates

• You can now open 5 gift boxes each day, instead of one every 12 hours.
  • A dropdown menu named "Browse" has been added to the top of the screen. This allows you to filter gift boxes by "All", "Available" (only those you can open), "Opened", and "Created".
  • If you have a giveaway creator blacklisted, you'll still see their gift boxes on the "Available" page, and the button on the gift box page will display "Open Gift Box". You'll only be blocked when you attempt to open the gift box (this will not count towards your daily limit of 5 to open). This will prevent users from blacklisting a user, and then checking whether or not a gift box remains on the "Available" page to identify if they are the creator.
5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Awesome idea :D Definitely will make some more giveaways!

5 years ago

I really like this idea, and the change to allow for 5 gift boxes per day was a good one. It means that those poor middle boxes, that otherwise might so easily be forgotten, have a larger chance of getting some love.

5 years ago

You're just a leech, that wants to get games, in order to buy ticket and see capybara D:

:D

I'm joking

5 years ago

What an awesome event. Thank you for making it.
I hope to contribute soon. :)

5 years ago

Another bump for the awesome idea

5 years ago

What about some sort of indicator for the boxes we can't open? Like, a red highlight if we've checked if we can open them or not? Or an option to remove those giveaways from the list?

5 years ago

is there any possibility to hide boxes, in which are games, which i already own? l

5 years ago

Too many cat boxes to choose from ;_;

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Look what I found in this box!

View attached image.
5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

good idea ! i love it !

5 years ago

thank you so so much! it's an awesome idea, really!!

5 years ago

So many boxes I can't open, mainly due to already owning the games but also countries etc. It would be nice to filter out those boxes beforehand to save me from clicking them all

5 years ago

Still better than being able to enter GAs for games you already own (happened to me with Shadow of Mordor)... :')

Anyway, great idea to make an event like this!

5 years ago

I would like to see Gifts that already EXIST in your account now show up and also ones that are higher than your contribution level is also not show up. Bit pointless to have to click on each one to then get told your contribution level is not high enough OR you already own that game OR you have previously won this item in a past giveaway message show up.
Good idea BUT has some issue's

5 years ago

Contribution level okay, but filtering if you already own the game wouldn't be fair.
There are a lot of "Game Horders" who've bought about every bundle they came across and didn't own the games yet. Filtering on 'Already Owned' should put them in a position where they can only enter this for the very few more 'expensive / non bundled' games and all other people have a bigger pool and are getting a lot of cheap games and has almost no chance on those more 'expensive / non bundled' games as they are taken by the other group.

5 years ago

But it says you cannot enter this giveaway because you already own it on your account. Thats after you click the box so i dont see the issue with being able to filter these out or the contribution level out or the previosly won that game here.
Also what about the DLC's, what if you open a box and it has a DLC inside that you cannot enter due to not owning the base game? I only just thought of that one and that would also cost you a box opening as well.

Therefore to save ones time and a stress load on their servers these should have the option to be filtered out OR they should be open to everyone whether they own the item, dont have enough contribution level or have previously won. After all you only have 5 box's to open per day so you will NOT be able to get to open them all.

5 years ago

"Also what about the DLC's, what if you open a box and it has a DLC inside that you cannot enter due to not owning the base game?"

You should not be able to open said box (same restriction as DLC for regular giveaways). If not, that would be a bug.

5 years ago

instead of a green box, it could show up as a red box

5 years ago

That is awesome.

edit: i should read the rules before click fast >.<

5 years ago

I love this, thanks for setting it up!

5 years ago

Cool event. Also, there are some really funny and creative box designs. 😄

5 years ago

Hi cg... I know other people have asked for it... and I'm going to agree with them and also ask that DLC be disabled for this event.
Same with the removed games.

Basically, if SG can't check if we own the item or not, then it shouldn't be included in the event
(Already opened 1 box with DLC I already own :( )

*** Other than that suggestion.. the event is awesome! THANK YOU!!

5 years ago

It is a very cool idea, I'm definitely curious to see what comes of it.

5 years ago

I opened 5 boxes today, those 5 boxes are all filtered out and I am not interested on them. Did I feel bad? No, because it is a gift. With all the negativity in the world, chances for free gift that may not be my interest is still something positive.

5 years ago

Love this event. It's simple but fun.

5 years ago

Very well done, thank you!

5 years ago

how is it a gift if we still have to use points to enter. thats like giving some1 a present and them telling them they have to pay for it.

5 years ago

Maybe because you don't actually get a present?

5 years ago

Maybe because you're using points you're given to enter them and spending nothing more than a little time?

5 years ago

We're already spending points on Steamgifts aren't we?
It's a synchronized giveaway-drive for Christmas with somewhat limited entries, that's all.

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Mostly hitting the jackpot so far. Need to save up the points now.

5 years ago

Just found a giveaway for a game i already own(sonic generations). Wasted one of my tries. Seems the event still has a few bugs

5 years ago

That's because it's a bundle... Steamgifts never could handle those due to the Steam API. I know the pain too, having entered a package of Shadow of Mordor GOTY.

5 years ago

Great idea cg. If I may make a suggestion, is it possible to somehow to mark the boxes we've tried to open but cant due to the game being owned as I cant seem to remember which ones I've clicked on or not and I don't want to keep clicking the same boxes again. Hope there is a way of shading out those boxes or something similar.

5 years ago

Anyone else getting more excitement out of some of the box designs than the chance of a free game? =D

Many Kudos for the creativity some people are bringing to the show!

5 years ago

Yep. Just looking through the cool boxes that people are making is the best part of this event.

5 years ago

So many filtered games, and yet so many boxes contain games I don't want. sigh there goes my five box limit again.

Also, because we are using the points that we have available, it would make more sense to not limit how many boxes we can enter (there are already too many being created that we won't be able to enter them all anyway).

5 years ago*

Also, because we are using the points that we have available, it would make more sense to not limit how many boxes we can enter (there are already too many being created that we won't be able to enter them all anyway).

I fail to see how this would be different from entering any GA listed regularly, aside from the box art.

(And even if normal people wouldn't be able to enter them all, you can bet that bots would.)

5 years ago

Once you open 5 eligible boxes, you can't enter any more for another 24 hrs.
You have no limit on how many regular GAs you can enter, as long as you have the points.

5 years ago

What I meant was, if you removed the whole 5 box limit thing, it wouldn't be any different from regular GAs and there wouldn't be much point to the event.

5 years ago

This would be ok, except it shows ALL games, which takes me back to the first point I made.

For example, the last two days I've entered 5-6 out of the 10 giveaway boxes I've opened, I don't want to enter those +1, or hidden game giveaways, I just want to enter the ones I am actually interested in.

5 years ago

Same. I wish I could return the 5 boxes once a day to try again. I don't want the hidden games I own outside steam or anime visual novels

5 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by cg.