Hi SG,

Happy holidays! We have a holiday event starting now and ending on December 25. The event allows users to create custom gift boxes which can be opened by others in the community to reveal giveaways. To get started, follow the below link to browse all of the available gift boxes, or to create one of your own.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
  2. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you do not own the base game for the DLC, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found or what was contained inside of a gift box.

If you have any questions, please ask. I'm looking forward to seeing all the gift box designs. I'll add a few throughout the month with Steam gift cards and games as well. Have fun!

Updates

• You can now open 5 gift boxes each day, instead of one every 12 hours.
  • A dropdown menu named "Browse" has been added to the top of the screen. This allows you to filter gift boxes by "All", "Available" (only those you can open), "Opened", and "Created".
  • If you have a giveaway creator blacklisted, you'll still see their gift boxes on the "Available" page, and the button on the gift box page will display "Open Gift Box". You'll only be blocked when you attempt to open the gift box (this will not count towards your daily limit of 5 to open). This will prevent users from blacklisting a user, and then checking whether or not a gift box remains on the "Available" page to identify if they are the creator.
5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

5 years ago

How do you find already opened boxes?

5 years ago

they have shaded background (green vs gray).

5 years ago

browse thru 20+ pages?

5 years ago*

23 pages?

5 years ago

typo, and 25 now, just in one day (which is not over yet)

5 years ago

Yeah, now i get your point

5 years ago

+1 to adding a list of opened boxes in case you wanted to enter later on rather than now

5 years ago

Amazing event! Gotta involve somehow but it seems we still have some time! Thx a lot Cg for this great event :)

5 years ago

We can still see game we ignored, so we either lose a box or enter the GA anyway.

5 years ago

enter the GA anyway.

Why would you enter for a game that you are not even interested in? :|

5 years ago

To not loose a box.

5 years ago

wow

5 years ago

*lose

I got mostly anime Visual novels I don't care about.

5 years ago

DLC's should be removed form this event

5 years ago

Thank you ! can i use also Humble Bundle keys for create gift box ?

5 years ago

I have hidden the packages and "Steam is learning" games that I already own, but it's still given as a valid gift box

Suggestion to givers is to not give those kind of things :P but all contributions are appreciated!

5 years ago

"Steam is learning" games

bump for this

... and thanks again, cg!
<3

5 years ago

Agreed, I'm opening packages that I already own.

5 years ago

or make cg restrict opening giveaways with hidden games

5 years ago

Could you add an "Open random gift box" button?
I mean, it'll take us to a random landing page, where we can still confirm the selection as per normal. It'd be a nice way of playing the RNG, over just relying on the current approach of "scan through pages and click on any box that looks pretty". :P

5 years ago

Genius. That way my tenuous reliance on a e s t h e t i c s won't stop me from finding quality gibs c:

5 years ago

I seem to own the games for the significant majority of the boxes I find visually compelling, so that's a bummer. :P
Be easier on me to just click a button and say "Hey, this isn't a Pepe, Ecchi, or otherwise dubious box. Sure, let's open it, RNG has my back." ..I mean, that's pretending for a moment that RNG isn't a traitorous devil, of course. It's okay, self-delusion has my back.

5 years ago

I bet, just to spite the both of us, there is a 50p unbundled treasure hiding behind a pepe. And neither you nor me will ever find it XD

I've run into a lot of region-restricted boxes I liked the look of, so I am onboard with this ._. Instead of thinking, "hmm, that image kinda clips weirdly onto the box..." I would open it if the god that is RNG had recommended it to me, because it would remind me that there is no guarantee the look means anything, and I don't have to blame myself. I can blame RNJesus.

5 years ago

i wonder if people are using alt accounts to find links :v

5 years ago

Would be a great way for cg to identify suspicious accounts.

5 years ago

Happy cake day!

5 years ago

Can’t the filter for unopenable gifts apply before you try to open them?

5 years ago

I like this event. It's fun and makes me smile.

Today, I was delighted to have more boxes to open! And even better, two boxes in a row had a game on my wishlist! It really is fun. FUN FUN FUN. And Christmassy.

You know what is not Christmassy? Bitching and moaning and criticizing every little aspect of a nice Christmassy event. Don't be a poo-poo head. Enjoy the event!

5 years ago

@cg Could you please also restrict opening giveaway with hidden games? Because I hide giveaways for games and dlc I own, even those you can't see with the web API. I think it's fair to restrict hidden games, hidden games are hidden for a reason after all.

P.S. accept my friend request on steam. I accidentally removed you.

5 years ago

I think this could be abused.

5 years ago

How?

5 years ago

Filter all the bad stuff and be left with good...

5 years ago

Oh yeah, good point...
That's a shame. I'll likely only open giveaways of games/DLC I already own then.

5 years ago

Though, you'd have to hide all games, but a few. I don't think many people can or will do that...

5 years ago

Well yeah, that's one of the intended effects for using filters.

5 years ago

Got into a "definitive edition" that i already owned :(
Wish there would be something like the "hide game" feature that I am already ignoring some game due to DLC fact :(

5 years ago

Well my script will hide owned (removed/disabled) games and DLC automatically: https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/8txqz/userscript-steamgifts-better-steam-profile-autosync-dlc-removed-games-support

5 years ago

but it was inside gift..the hiding part works there with your script?

5 years ago

No, it adds games that aren't "seen" by SG to your hided list. So you can't enter in them from giveaways main page.

5 years ago

awesome event, thanks CG

5 years ago

I like the 5 entries a day, makes my life simpler.

5 years ago

That's a really fun event. Thanks a lot. :)

5 years ago

Thanks for 5 entries a day, much appreciated.

Some feedback/suggestions:

• Perhaps allow a filter for "entered boxes" (green outline is hard to spot not to mention you need to browse tons of pages) or "eligable" (as much as I like looking at the designs, I find most just end up giving 'you own this').
  • Similarly to above if limit is reached have the "you already got this/blacklisted/area limitations" along with the "you reached your limit"... I've (and am) collecting boxes till the regeneration timer and I'll probably find once again most I can't even enter... could save some tab-spam for most of us :)
5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

What a fantastic idea! Please make this a SG tradition! =D

5 years ago

Time to buy some game from GG deals and put price alerts on game I can put in whose gifts XD

5 years ago

nice updates ❤️️

time to spam more boxes

View attached image.
5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

I'd like the option to filter out a genre or see the key tag in a giveaway.
I don't want to open any more anime "visual novels" and waste the chances.
Or the option to recycle one or two boxes a day that I didn't care for.

5 years ago

Can you let us skip boxes with higher level then ours? It's quite boring, checking every box which is too high level.

5 years ago

Get some level, baby :)

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you do not own the base game for the DLC, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.

5 years ago

I'm assuming the user means they click a box then get the message, rather than entering the box then hitting an unenterable giveaway (since that should be impossible).
Personally I also keep running into "you already got this" so I definitely could see other people wanting an option to sort just boxes you can enter from the boxes screen rather than each individual box.

5 years ago

Yes, but checking every single box when 95% are unavailable for me isn't fun :).

5 years ago

Thats pretty fun way to make GA! Thanks and happy holidays!

5 years ago

One possible feature could be the ability to review just the boxes that you have opened. Then again, there might not be much point to such - either you enter the giveaway at the time of opening, or you don't which suggests you're not going to enter at all.

5 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by cg.