2016-07-01 update:
New info on better DX11 performance with updated drivers

A few reviewers have experienced issues with older/cheaper motherboards. See this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhjC_8ai7QA
This thread has more information on it, I haven't had time to read it all, but will update later with more information.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qmlep/rx_480_powergate_problem_has_a_solution/

I'm a little short on time for the next few days and won't be able to update the original post that much, but I will look through your answers and add relevant information/links as soon as I have the time!

Some release day reviews/tests:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-rx-480-8gb-review,1.html
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/amd-radeon-rx-480-review/1100-6441354/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview
http://www.polygon.com/2016/6/29/12050526/amd-radeon-rx-480-benchmark-1080-1070
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/93932-amd-radeon-rx-480-14nm-polaris/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GdfDCq86Gk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CJBaZ9V2Eo

Seems like the RX 480 performs along the lines of GTX 970 and R9 390 with DirectX 11. For $199 that's really nice performance for the cost, considering the prices for the 970 seem to start around $300. In DirectX 12 performance seems even better compared to the last-gen GPUs.

Here in Sweden it looks like the price is going to be quite a bit higher than $199 (around 2800 SEK, which is roughly $330), so here the performance per cost here is actually worse than the 970, so personally, I would have hoped for a bit more performance for that price. If the performance was more along the 390X / approaching 980 levels (in DirectX 11 as well), it would have been worth it even with the price over here, but for now it looks like a pass, unless they lower the prices quite a bit.

For $199 (or a bit more for the 8GB version) the card seems like a really good choice for a 1080p gaming computer on a budget.

Here are some benchmarks from a Swedish test. Green = average fps, red = lowest fps.

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Said it from day1: expect 970 level. Aaaand there we go. Never understood the hype.
Still, really nice to see a decent overall package from AMD again, and the optional 8GB certainly won't hurt.

Custom 480s, with a slight price reduction, would certainly hit a sweet spot.

7 years ago

RX 480 @ 1425 = non-ref GTX 970 @ 1628 Graphic Score : 14646 (RX 480 ) vs 14467 ( GTX 970 )

http://hwbot.org/submission/3251198_lucky_n00b_3dmark___fire_strike_radeon_rx_480_12668_marks

http://hwbot.org/submission/2765998_nyd117_3dmark___fire_strike_geforce_gtx_970_12751_marks

Now lets wait for non-ref PCB RX 480 smile.gif

Game bench http://pclab.pl/art70318.html * reference Rx 480 drops clocks to ~1170 under load temps /TDP/ Power limits for OC results add 20% ;)

7 years ago

Prices appear to be still uncertain and fluctuating. I hope the 8GB will settle for €260 or so, as expected.

7 years ago

In france it is sold at this price (the AMD model is, while the MSI and Asus versions are a bit more expensive).

7 years ago

I've checked a few different stores here in Netherlands. Prices range from €269 (close enough) to €412 (dafuq?)

7 years ago

Hm, its performance is kinda underwhelming considering the hype that has been going on the last few weeks if you ask me.

7 years ago

+1

7 years ago

They said the performance will be around the GTX 970, and it is. I don't think it is underwhelming, it is more or less what they said beforehand.

7 years ago

uhm...they said the performance will be between a 1070 and 1080...

7 years ago

In DX12 only, AFAIK. Which is again true, it is somewhat above the 970. Not by much, but above it.

7 years ago

Pretty sure that was said about using two of them.

7 years ago

correct. it should be better than a 1080 with 2 gpu. still cheaper that 1080.

7 years ago

Performance is more or less as stated (also consider that drivers are still "fresh", there's probably room for improvement). It's not the best card ever (those cost 3 or 4 times this one), but it is quite cheap and powerful.

7 years ago

i agree it does not seem nearly as good as i thought it would have been,and not that passmark is the best real world benchmark out but they usually have pretty good indications as to how the cards will perform compared to others and you dont need to worry about them skewing results as they are all end user submitted but it looks like it scores considerably lower then the 970

7 years ago

I expected thousand of comments in this thread. I'm really clueless about the world.

7 years ago

many reviewers reported an high power consumption from the pci-e , and seems it can be dangerous for the motherboard, actually I'm still waiting to understand better the situation, in order to buy one :/

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

7 years ago

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qfwd4/rx480_fails_pcie_specification/

An discussion in AMD subreddit talking about 480 failing the PCI-E specification, not gonna risk my motherboard over this mess, I guess my 7770 lives another day. ;_;

7 years ago*

no motherboard is going to die my providing 80-90W over the PCI-E, but it is far from ideal.

7 years ago*

I already expect the board partners to change the power configuration anyway, likely to 2x 6-pin connectors, so this should cease to be a problem. The only people who use brand new reference cards are review sites and people who just can't wait to spend money.

7 years ago

i wanna see 470 performance and also price in canada

7 years ago

Too bad the reference design can actually kill off your mainboard due to energy spikes and too high power consumption.

7 years ago

I haven't found any information on the GPU killing a motherboard. I found one reviewer who had trouble with a system shutting down repeatedly while gaming, added that video in the original post.

One user also posted a link where they explain the issue, added that one as well.

I'm waiting for more news about this, will update the original post.

7 years ago

I do not really like amd gpus, but I would have taken it if it was close to a gtx 1070, I need to upgrade half my computers components to support any new gpu, and since I have to do that I will collect money for the gtx 1070 apparently. It is quite cheap for what it is (my opinion)

7 years ago

None of the images show a DX 12 benchmark. I thought this was to be the newest attempt at Next Gen mid level gaming cards - I've really been looking forward to it myself, and from what I've read - It was going to be awesome - with DX 12. Yet absolutely no mention of how this card performs under DX 12 anywhere so far. Only DX 11.
All I've been able to find is references to violation of the PCIE standard due to over TPW Draw from the Motherboard.
The Framerates for DX 11 games do seem kinda low for all the talk up, but I expected that personally, after the fiasco with the R9 380's - "Sure it looks poor now but wait until DX 12!"
Comparing the framerates on DX 11 Games with cards designed for DX 12 vs NVidia's DX 11 powered chipset seems.... not in the spirit?
I'm going to reserve final comments until I see some AMD VS NVidia in DX 12 specs.

7 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 6 years ago.

7 years ago

Thx for that link - Yeah it is still showing minimal performance boost in DX 11, but 12 is looking good - I mean it's not in the 1070 mark but at 1/4 the price I think it's gunna be good once more 12 titles come out.
Hopefully it'll XFire with some of the older 380/390's and save me some $$$ but if not it'll still be worth upgrading come Xmas (My wife has set me a limit :/ )

7 years ago

Most of the reviews I saw we're really positive, even those from usual Nvidia guys. While it's true the card isn't as impressive as I'd hoped it would be, it still pretty well beats the 390 and the 970 for less money. Plus this is just the reference card - when MSI, GB, XFX and the rest come out with their versions, they'll o/c the cards and possibly get them to surpass the 390X/980, and still probably keep it under $300. That ain't a bad deal.

7 years ago

I don't get it. Why are people comparing this to a 970. Yes, the performance is similar, but that is a 2 year old card. The 1070 smashes it in terms of performance per dollar. I really expect the 1060 to be a viable alternative which won't have the power consumption issues like this card. Tomshardware found it was drawing more power from the pcie making it out of special that is likely to damage your motherboard and introduce noise in on-board sound.

So, while its a decent card, its not quite a miracle card that it was being touted as.

7 years ago

Probably because the 1070 is in a completely different price range ($400 vs $200).

Also, the price/performance rate is better for the RX 480, at least according to PassMark http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html, 25.1 points/$ for the 1070 and 33.3 points/$ for the RX 480 (assuming the declared $200 price).

7 years ago

Pricemark is showing the 1070 at $459. Even though overclocked versions are available for 400 on Newegg. http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814125875&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-The%20Tech%20Report-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10487648&PID=1800524

Supply is an issue though.

I think the cards are very close in price/perf. And while they are different price brackets, so is the 970. 970 is no one's idea of a good card to buy right now unless you can't find a 1070 in stock or find a heavily discounted 970. I just think its pointless to compare the rx 480 to a discontinued product.

7 years ago

The performance is great, but the power consumption is really disappointing, especially since it is on a smaller node.

7 years ago

In Germany some RX 480 (Sapphire, XFX) with 4GB are now offered for €219, what is pretty the promised $199 + VAT. Since the cheapest GTX970 with 4GB go for €250 that doesn't sound that bad.
I myself am waiting for the 470 and 460. They should have been released 29.06, but are nowhere to see?

7 years ago

I dunno, those are all in reference design. Good custom 970s are under 250€. Right now the 480 isn't as competitive as it should be.
Hope that changes soon :/

7 years ago

They never fixed their crashing 380s. We've been stuck on the 15.11 drivers since last year. Any other driver leads to a black screen crash in some games that requires hitting the reset button on the PC to recover the system.

This means no performance improvements found in new drivers. This means missing access to features that our cards are supposed to have. This means no other bug fixes found in new drivers.

Am I to assume that this new hardware is actually going to work? And what if it doesn't? It's been 9 months or so since AMD so much as commented on this black screen crash. There's been total silence on the issue since then. So why would I just assume that AMD would fix problems on these new cards when they've demonstrated that they're more than willing to let problems like this go.

I'm no fan of nvidia and they've definitely had their own problems, especially this year with their driver issues, but their products are not still crashing 9 months later.

Or is it supposed to be "okay" since it doesn't happen in all games, so hey, let's just sweep it under the rug and hope that people forget about it because shiny new toys are for sale.

7 years ago

Nvidia had a similar issue with their Fermi cards a few years back which I experienced. Any driver version after 314.22 would constantly crash or freeze. It got so bad Nvidia started asking users to send in their cards so they could test them. This problem lasted almost a year. Then it got resolved for awhile. Then it came back. Nvidia has also had issues with certain drivers destroying cards. After my card finally died I switched to AMD. But AMD has their own problems as well.

What I've come to learn is that I hate both of these companies. I wish there was a 3rd player in the game.

7 years ago

Agreed, a 3rd company would be ideal.

I wasn't aware that nvidia had the same problem with their hardware, though I originally moved to AMD because of the driver problems that I had with nvidia.

And now the AMD 480s are also experiencing some kind of voltage problem so it looks like, no, their new hardware doesn't work either. What a mess. :-/

I don't suppose NVidia's new cards are stable? I just want a card that's going to work. I won't be able to begin shopping around until maybe around the end of the year.

7 years ago

I haven't heard any reports of mass instability with Nvidia's new cards so I assume they're stable but there's always gonna be people who have problems for whatever reason whether they have Nvidia or AMD. I got fed up with Nvidia so I went with AMD this time. Though I do admit a 1070/1080 would be sweet to have. It does feel like a crapshoot when buying a card. You just hope you're not unlucky with some issue. I haven't had any issues with my AMD card but I find their Crimson software to be dumbed down and doesn't have as many features as Nvidia's.

From what I've heard about the RX 480's power issue it could possibly be fixed with a simple BIOS update. Or 3rd party manufacturers could likely release cards with greater than a 6-pin connector (an 8-pin or 6-pin/8-pin, etc). If you're waiting till the end of the year to buy a card I'm sure this problem will be resolved by then.

7 years ago

I wish there was a 3rd player in the game.

There is… for years now. People just don't take it serious.

7 years ago

Well if people don't take them seriously then they're not really in the game. But I wish Intel would get serious. I think they have the resources to make an actual powerful video card and the reputation to market and sell it. Get some needed competition in there because I'm tired of only having two choices.

7 years ago

Dunno, being able to run the infamously demanding reference game GTA V around 30 fps seems pretty damn impressive for me for an integrated graphics chip that doesn't need a double-sized PCIE board, another few hundred Watts of power, and a giant cooling on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A7QvBcTdOo

7 years ago

Maybe to you but not for the people that want to run it at 60 fps :P

7 years ago

Any update on the failed pci-e specification ?

7 years ago

it looks like it is a thing on some of these reference model cards, it should not be a danger for anyone with a decent power supply and motherboard, but it trows away any change of overclocking, the reason seems to be BIOS related as its feeding 1.3v to the core when it should be 1.1v, could be fixed with a flash....

It is not that big of a deal as some places are making it up to look, 75W is not in any way shape of form the max power PCI-E can give, and its not being overworked or damaged, the GTX960 StriX from MSI showed an worse behavior but it didnt killed anyones PC, more info here

the non reference ones are coming in 2 weeks, and single 8pin and double 6pin rumors are going wild.

7 years ago

Mmmh, thank you. I hope you're right.

7 years ago

Thanks, added your link to the original post.

7 years ago

Found a video addressing it, added it to the original post.

7 years ago

Thank you.

7 years ago

there are already new drivers and a boost in performance?

Guru3D review

View attached image.
7 years ago

Thanks, added it to the original post.

7 years ago

I'm ready to pull the trigger on the RX 480 to replace my aging GFX660 but decided I won't go for the ref model.
Custom Sapphire Nitro looks really nice though ...

7 years ago

It sure packs some punch but right now mine is at 80°C, idle. Let's hope the drivers will improve it. I am one of those people who couldn't wait to spend their money. I sold my previous card (HD7950) a few days ago and didn't want to wait before being able to play again.

edit : oh well, I just looked and it seems to have cooled down a little. I should probably improve my air flow too.

edit again : I should probably add that the room temperature is 27°C.

7 years ago

80°C on idle? How that? Is the fan not working?

7 years ago

Never mind, maybe it was just bugging or working for nothing. Right after posting my message it got cooler. Now it's on 59°C idle. The rest of the system is at 40°C in a room at 26,5°C.

I don't know why it was so hot, I had played The Witcher 3 minutes before, but the card didn't cool off after quitting the game. On another try, after quitting the game the card went back to 54°C within seconds.

I have to do more tests I guess.

I get 73°C on The Phantom Pain all maxed out, 80°C on The WItcher 3 all maxed out.

7 years ago*

LOL

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Power-Consumption-Concerns-Radeon-RX-480

AMD being AMD, Good luck crossfiring this shit when it is already creating power spikes even @ 1 fucking card. Have fun with the sustained overpower draw on PCIe even at stock clocks

7 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

7 years ago

Translation: We need to fucking throttle the GPU because it's using too much power.

7 years ago

there has been several tries to run the card on lower voltages by undervolting, not only keeps the same frecuency 1.2Ghz, but some guys actually managed to get another full 100Mhz of overclock with lower voltages

7 years ago

Keyword: some

I've been keeping a close eye of this and not everyone is getting gains through undervolting. This means they didn't Binned the 480x, which is fine since AMD has more silicon lottery on their gpus compared to nvidia., So if I'm right that they are throttling the card by undervolting, everyone will have different gains or losses.

7 years ago

I'm more interested in the RX460 for my living room PC :).

7 years ago

In my country 8gb model price is $332.02 :(

7 years ago

Nice article at Legit Reviews about undervolting the RX 480. It not only reduces power significantly but also raises frame rates somewhat.

7 years ago

Closed 7 years ago by tso184.