https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/iMdJl/ducktales-remastered

871 games categorized
326 games hidden

Hidden games include:
trash (Brilliant Bob)
games I just don't like (Binding of Isaac)
games I finished and will never play again (Hero of the Kingdom)
games I tried and got some enjoyment out of but am not interested enough to finish (Inside the Gear)
"duplicate" games (Fallout 3 when I also have the GOTY version)

Non-hidden games are sorted into 69 categories, including the Favorites category. Many games appear in more than one category.
I sort by:
genre (jRPG, ARPG, Twin Stick Shooter, etc.)
series and sets (Batman, Bethesda, GTA, etc.)
common elements (Zombies, Dragons, Space, etc.)
I have some special categories like Kickstarter Early Versions and Free To Play (so there's a place for Path of Exile whenever I reinstall it).
I use the Favorites list for games I return to often. It's a pretty short list - a dozen or less.
I have a category called Want To Play which is a kind of on-deck list. Games I'm excited about. Some are installed and in process. It's my go-to category when I sit down to play.

In the past I tried 3rd party utilities that analyze your library and use Steam tags to sort your games. But that was a waste. Steam tags suck. So, I've been sorting by hand here and there in odd moments for over a year. And now I'm done! I even went back through the Hidden games to make sure I haven't accidentally hidden some. And I had! So I saved those from Oblivion.

How do you handle your Steam library hot mess?

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

How do you categorize your Steam library?

View Results
Not at all. Just one big long scrolling list.
I use the Favorites category but that's all.
I use categories but I'll never get every game categorized.
A place for everything and everything in its place.
Other - please explain

Steam should be much more friendly with this (tags etc.), also with adding custom screens and many other..

5 years ago

This application allows you to categorize the library automatically and manually_

Depressurizer

View attached image.
5 years ago

That one is basically dead, but there is an active fork: https://github.com/mvegter/Depressurizer

5 years ago

yes this app seems interesting, i will check it later.

5 years ago

oh nice!! better categorization, thanks.

View attached image.
5 years ago

I want to know the games who's entire genre is "NUDITY". For, um, science.

5 years ago

sakura games, romby and animal loover

5 years ago

nice! never heard about it before.

5 years ago

cool. will check this out too

5 years ago

Thank you!

5 years ago

I use initials, my categories looks like "#, A, B, C...". whole alphabet from A to Z, # contains games that starts with number or other symbols like 7 Symbols serie

5 years ago

I envy you, every time I start trying to do that I never get anywhere.

5 years ago

I try not to categorise, or else it'll give me more reasons to completely ignore some games which I should play.

I do hide some games though. Or just straight-up remove them from time to time.

5 years ago

How do you handle your Steam library hot mess?

a) installed
b) not installed

5 years ago

+1 I do partially categorize it, but this is what I use most of the time, since I don't have too many games installed

5 years ago

Yeah, that's what I do. I didn't even know you could categorize them otherwise. lol

I usually only have 20-30 games installed at any time. (Only a few large ones at a time.)

5 years ago

I place games played currently in 0000 tag (top of the list), and then just in laptop/PC tags so as not to burn my laptop with some crazy graphics game

5 years ago

I have quite a few categories but a lot of games that aren't categorized. I could have easily done it with 1183 games, but since I've bought so many bad gamed over time, it takes a while to get it done.

5 years ago

Trying to keep them categorized. Recently decided to add a SteamGifts category, just to keep track of which ones I still need to play (hint: a lot).
Favorites contains games I often play, also have games categorized on my interest in them and filtering out the (local) mp for when people come over.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Picture show it all , enough say .. 😆
My Games are master list of My Games Category
Games are new game that not yet categorize

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Nice to see another one categorizing the games based on the chievos! :)

5 years ago

I am very happy with my filing system. Basically they are all filed by publisher if they are big publishers, and then everything else into very specific 'indie' categories by genre. So not just 'platformer', but 'platformer - hard', 'platformer - modern', 'platformer - metroidvania' etc. Then it's easy when I get in a mood to play a certain genre to look in those categories to find something.
I also have a few special categories, one for games I will prioritize, one for games I consider 'dead' and one to store completed games I don't need to see any more.
The initial set up took a while, but I did it when I only had a few hundred games, and I just go through once a month and add new ones into their categories, so it's pretty easy to maintain.

5 years ago

I don't categorize them on steam (not counting using default favorite option) but I do have them sorted on BLAEO's site with their default options (never played, unfinished, beaten, completed, won't play).

Maybe I'll sort them out on Steam one day, actually I might go and make categories now for games I've beaten and for those I don't plan on playing just to clean the mess a little bit.

EDIT: Alright, nevermind. Fuck Steam categories and not being able to organize in what order you want them. Instead they're sorted alphabetically which annoys me.

5 years ago*

Use a number prefix to order them as desired.

5 years ago

I just leave my library at favorites, installed, and finished lol

5 years ago

I like to keep mine simple and categorize by played, playing, will play, will never play statuses.

BOTTOM OF THE BARREL - Mostly or Overwhelmingly negative. Will never play.
COMPLETED - Games I finished
MULTIPLAYER ONLY - Games that are MP only. TF2, Planetside 2, DOTA 2, etc
SOMEDAY, MAYBE - Games with Mostly/Overwhelmingly positive reviews but not something I would usually play
UNPLAYED/UNFINISHED - Games with mixed reviews or games I tried but rage quit before finishing
GAMES - Everything in my backlog I intend to play someday
VR - My VR library (I own a Rift)

As for what to choose to play next, I almost always use the wonderful site Steam Filters to narrow down what I feel like at the time.

View attached image.
5 years ago*

"Bottom of the barrel" ends up being on top, how ironic. This is why I just gave up from making categories, them being sorted alphabetically over allowing you to organize them as you see fit is just stupid and my OCD can't handle it.

5 years ago

I get it. I could number them and solve that issue but it doesn't bother me overmuch.

5 years ago

Just use Zottom of the barrel xD

5 years ago

I have 47 categories, mostly by genre, favorites, multiplayer, completed and trash. Every now and then I go through the uncategorized and assign them

5 years ago

Mine is all categorized in ways the likely make sense only to me and there are still hundreds of games and each category lol. All the categories are by genre, more or less.

5 years ago

My games list contains not categorized games, the VR is made by steam and it has Dota 2 only since I don't have a VR device

View attached image.
5 years ago

Just once every so often I put new games in the correct category, so in Games I have the new ones I didn't do yet and in the one called New Games I add all I never played yet.

View attached image.
5 years ago

I only have a few categories. I want to to genre categories but I never got around doing it.
I have:
Currently playing
Always playing (mostly multiplayer stuff I place regularly)
Started (games I started and want to finish someday, but not at the moment)

The next categories are for unplayed games. I sort them by user reviews
Very positive, mostly positive etc.

Done (games I played and won't be playing anymore (done everything I want to do))
Completed (I did everything that's possible in this game 100%/all achievements, all personal goals)

5 years ago

I have a ton of categories, genre, tags, HLTB, year, some custom groups (good for couch co-op, SG wins, etc.). I may not always use all of them, but if I'm in the mood for something specific, it's really helpful.

I use depressurizer to do most of my sorting!

5 years ago

Sounds interesting...is there a link to a descriptive page, or just the github download?

5 years ago

Sadly, nothing official. The project has changed hands a few times, so things are pretty decentralized, and often out of date.

For example:
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/depressurizer
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/83gxyn/a_new_version_of_depressurizer_is_available/

5 years ago

Gotcha...but it organizes things as a plugin in the Steam UI itself, right? It's not a standalone UI or anything? I'm just asking because I'd prefer not to add another separate place to look through my stuff. ;)

5 years ago

Ok, so what it does is, it reads the Steam library data files on your local machine, and translates them to another UI. In the new UI, you can tag/customize/group/etc. as you wish, then save the data file. The next time you load Steam, your library will reflect the changes you made.

It's not a tool meant to replace Steam or to be used on top of/within it, but rather a companion that you use along with Steam. To be honest, with my Steam library being as big as it is, it is actually much better and faster for browsing all my games than Steam itself is.

That being said, I never use it to launch games. In fact, I open it up only about once a month or so to autocat new games I've added, but technically, you would only ever need to run it one time if your library doesn't go through a lot of changes. Once the library has been configured in bulk, you can always manually update new items one at a time from within Steam and never look to Depressurizer again.

5 years ago

Thanks for the great description! Hmmm, sounds like something I might dig. I'll likely download this and mess with it later. Thanks for the heads-up on this app -- didn't know that it existed.

5 years ago

Happy to help!

5 years ago

I assign genre tags and number of players (single, local coop, online coop, multiplayer). I have under 500 games and maybe only a third is tagged :)

But it's a mess. The thing that bothers me the most is that when I select "installed games" and have say 10 installed games, it shows me like 20-30 categories (each game is displayed several times because it has several tags).

I wish it was more like GOG's filters: one for genre, one for number of players, one for status (completed, favourites, etc). And so that you could add and edit those categories (maybe you want to have achievements, cards, difficulty and what not filters).

5 years ago

I just have 3 categories. The 'normal' one where everything will be found on default; The 'playing now' where all installed games are found; and the 'done' where I put all games (finished or not) I have no intention of repeating again.

5 years ago

Grats! That sounds like quite the undertaking lol. Mine is sorted somewhat, but not as in-depth as yours. I have:
Favorites - anything I pretty much have 100+ hrs in or I feel I should be playing
100% - anything with all achievements
Almost - anything with a few achievements missing
Beat - anything beat without achievements
Excited - anything early access or waiting to get a huge patch soonâ„¢

other than that, I usually use the Recent tab to hop into games that I've got/played in the last few weeks.

5 years ago

In my case --> Just one big long scrolling list.
I also tried to categorize them via BLAEO but it was a long time ago and I nearly don't update it since.

5 years ago

You are my hero. I probably will never sort it, even though I have a few categories (like, finished games, finished only in coop, going to play, going to play in coop, replayable, and "not going to play at all"). I don't remember exactly what categories I have, not at PC atm.

5 years ago

I have a very organized list and started doing this after been looking a lot for my local coop games. I need to run my Despressurizer again and make some adjustments to make the perfect list!

Hide some games weren't an alternative because i think i'm pretty lazy for that, but i'll take a look because i need to get rid from a few junks that hurts my eyes - I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU, ACHIEVEMENTS MINER AND ASSET FLIPPERS.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.