https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/iMdJl/ducktales-remastered

871 games categorized
326 games hidden

Hidden games include:
trash (Brilliant Bob)
games I just don't like (Binding of Isaac)
games I finished and will never play again (Hero of the Kingdom)
games I tried and got some enjoyment out of but am not interested enough to finish (Inside the Gear)
"duplicate" games (Fallout 3 when I also have the GOTY version)

Non-hidden games are sorted into 69 categories, including the Favorites category. Many games appear in more than one category.
I sort by:
genre (jRPG, ARPG, Twin Stick Shooter, etc.)
series and sets (Batman, Bethesda, GTA, etc.)
common elements (Zombies, Dragons, Space, etc.)
I have some special categories like Kickstarter Early Versions and Free To Play (so there's a place for Path of Exile whenever I reinstall it).
I use the Favorites list for games I return to often. It's a pretty short list - a dozen or less.
I have a category called Want To Play which is a kind of on-deck list. Games I'm excited about. Some are installed and in process. It's my go-to category when I sit down to play.

In the past I tried 3rd party utilities that analyze your library and use Steam tags to sort your games. But that was a waste. Steam tags suck. So, I've been sorting by hand here and there in odd moments for over a year. And now I'm done! I even went back through the Hidden games to make sure I haven't accidentally hidden some. And I had! So I saved those from Oblivion.

How do you handle your Steam library hot mess?

5 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

How do you categorize your Steam library?

View Results
Not at all. Just one big long scrolling list.
I use the Favorites category but that's all.
I use categories but I'll never get every game categorized.
A place for everything and everything in its place.
Other - please explain

Hard work... congratulations!

5 years ago

Congratulation on reaching a milestone.

I use categories (examples: Won -very important to know which games i shoul play earlier...-, Shooter, Strategie, Pixel Titties, Puzzeln und knobeln, Beat Em'Up, HOG, VN...), partly hardware things like Controller and VR -partly because i started with that much later.
I am not finished with sorting all but i have done 2/3 (2k from 3k) in around 3 months.
I think i will be finished by that at the begin of the next year :o)

5 years ago*

I have a Controller category, too. But for me it's for learning (if I ever get the time). I never had a console, so I've never gotten used to controllers. Clearly some games are meant to be played with a controller, though. So, I have the category, and every so often I play one of them to practice and try to get better.

5 years ago

I don't like consoles. Too high priced, special the games, and outdated after a while without a upgrade possibility.
So i don't have much controller experience too.
But a few of my friends prefer controllers and when i search a game for them or us then the controller category is helpfull.

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

I had categorised all of my library into genres but they disappeared recently.
Now I am categorizing them again when I am bored...

5 years ago

I just made my own script using steam api.
I regroup all important information for all game, time play and i create 30 category (action, plateform, rpg, trash etc..)
Recent game play in favorite and more incoming maybe if i took time :p

5 years ago

I have categories for different genres and some for specific developers when I have a lot of their games or really like them. For instance I have 'Adventure (Point & Click)' but also 'Daedalic'. I don't put games in to more than one category (other than favourites) so it's usually quite easy to find something, although I do often forget what I labelled a game as every now and then.

5 years ago

363 games uncategorized
1511 games hidden

ouch :)

5 years ago

i want to sort by genre too but i think it makes more sense to sort by status when there are too much games

5 years ago

Check the Screenshot!
1,2,3 are my favorites
Good and Trash are just to see all good and all trash so each game is in one of these.
Than i have a lot of categorys to keep track from where i got the game. Those category have Prefixes.
B- is Bought
F- Free/Gift
G- Giveaway

from time to time i use Depressurizer to organize my categories. Renaming and sorting a lot of Games goes much quicker with this tool.
For the rest of the filtering needs i use this website. It also can load multiple profiles to check wich games you have in common.

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Thanks for the GA!~

Here are my categories, some are quite broad or overlapping but what's important is that I know what to expect :p

I still havent finished categorizing tho >.<

View attached image.
5 years ago

Instead of Weird, I have Experimental. I put games in there that don't fit a genre, or where the devs were clearly trying something new. Sunless Sea is in there.

5 years ago

Yeah same :) Loved Sunless Sea, couldn't manage to finish it tho (if it even has an ending, I'm not sure). I keep there things like The Stanley Parable, Morphopolis, Jazzpunk...

5 years ago

In my case, I have two categories:

• "need DLC" for games that I need DLC's for, I will throw there anything that has DLC's that I don't own;
  • "desperately need DLC's" for the games that I am very interested in playing (or already play), but I don't have all the DLC's. and really want them.

Some time ago I also did a purge and hidden some garbage games.

5 years ago

Need DLC would be very useful! Maybe I'll add that some day.

5 years ago

I use 4 categories about how much I'm interested in playing the games, that's all. For everything else there is https://www.lorenzostanco.com/lab/steam/

5 years ago

I have 4-Player Local and Local Co-op categories. Makes them easier to find in Big Picture mode.
Oh, and I have a SteamGifts wins category, so I know which games to never play.

EDIT: I might try out Depressurizer. It looks like I can make a category based on tags or features, which should help with identifying all games with local multiplayer. :D

5 years ago*

Depressurizer can be useful for that. I've used it to more easily identify couch co-op games. However, the filters and custom autocats are not super intuitive and/or user friendly, IMO. It took me multiple tries and a few library/category wipes to get it right. Then I did something and lost it all again. :/

As far as out of the box/minor customizations, Depressurizer is the way to go!

5 years ago

I have some categories (beaten/completed, finishacheivements, SGwins, unplayed SGwins, playing, started, wishlist unplayed) but most games are just in an 'unplayed' category.

It'd be nice to have automatic categories like 'has achievements', 'has cards', 'has local multiplayer', etc.

5 years ago

I've sorted a part of my library in the past, then I realized I don't see the categories if I log on another computer. Then I formatted and everything went back to a big long scrolling list.

5 years ago

That happens when the sync didn't work well, next time try to close Steam on your main PC before opening on the new one (so it gets synced).. If by any reason it didn't work, go to your main without opening Steam, go to the place where you have Steam installed, then go to userdata, search for your Steam number ID, then go to the folder with the 7
There should be a file called either sharedcache or remotecache, back it up and save it somewhere else, that one has your categories.. Then open Steam, it will download the one from the server that lost all the categories, then copy and paste (don't move it, keep the back up one as a backup) the one you saved and overwritte the one Steam downloaded, if you close Steam, it should send that to the cloud and when you open you should have it with categories again.. If that didn't work, you can open the file with notepad, add a space or whatever, save, then remove what you added (so the data modified date changes) and try again, Steam should upload that file and your categories are restored..

It has happened to me in the past but I've recovered it doing that

5 years ago

Thanks for the long answer, that's good to know. So there IS a sync.

5 years ago

I got tooo many categories but I've never had the patience to finally do i with all the games (as I add non-Steam games to Steam to have it all on one launcher)
I atm got 2430 uncategorised (includes emulators using Steam ROM manager to easily add them), Origin games, DOS games and so on.. But on cateogries I have
2D Adventure, 2D platformer, 3D adventure, 3D platformer, action, android (Bluestack emulated games), arcade, arena brawler, arena shooter, arpg, atari 2600, atari 5200, atari 7800, battle royale, beat 'em up, blizzard, browser based games, bullet hell, cards, clicker, closed games, completed, daily (games I tend to play on a regular basis, or just do daily quests), dreamcast, emulated (here I have everything emulated, android, consoles, DOS, doesn't matter), eroge ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°), fighting, fps, gameboy, gameboy colour, gameboy advance, gamecube, genesis/md, GTA, hack & slash, hero shooter, hi-rez, hidden objects, horror, inventory (games that add stuffs on your Steam inventory, games I need to play in order to drop some items), jrpg, maxis, metroidvania, mmorpg, moba, monster slayer, mosa, ms-dos, nes, nfs (need for speed), nintendo 3ds, nintendo 64, nintendo ds, origin (games that rely on Origin and I need to configure with a .bat I wrote so when I click the game, it opens Origin, then opens the game, and when I close the game it waits 30s and closes Origin, so it doesn't say I'm still in the game.. It used to be easier but Origin removed the option to close when game ends), ps1, ps2, ps3, point & click, pokémon, psp, public test (all the test servers, wether lol, dota 2, smite, paladins, ow, if it is a server meant to test stuffs, it goes there), puzzle, racing, ranked (games I play ranked), removed steam (as a removed games collector.. Yeah), rogue-like, rpg, rts, sg (any game I won on SG and I haven't finished/played it yet), shoot 'em up, shooter, simulation, snes/sfamicon, sports, survival, tabletop, team-based shooter, television (mainly Kodi, and any other program I use to watch movies/series like popcorn time or stuffs like that), tes (the elder scrolls, all the games), the legend of zelda, top-down shooter, touhou, tower defense, tps, tribes (tribes games), turn-based, videos (games I have to make videos about/games I want to make videos about) and visual novels

Lol I got many categories.. I tried Deppresurize once and its an easy way to categorise but it relies on the Steam tags.. And those tags suck, so when I use it is mainly to manually add a bunch to a category

5 years ago

well i stopped doing it after 1.5k games, depresurizer would be a good idea but don't know how to leave my "finished" category <blush>

5 years ago

I have a dream to organize my library... but it's probably not going to happen. And I'm mostly okay with that.

5 years ago

I used Depressurizer to categorize mostly by HLTB times -- very imprecise, but almost completely automatic, see picture below (I guess I could do away with the "S" categories, but the HLTB times work well for me).

I also have a huuuuuuuuuuge spreadsheet with everything that ever came out on Steam and a lot more (currently at 27292 items, growing every week), where I highlight the games I have or had (almost 2000), and write down Genres, Publishers, Review Scores, etc. I usually look there when picking what I am in the mood to play. Keeping the spreadsheet is a (recognizedly weird) metagame on its own...

Cheers!

View attached image.
5 years ago

What is HLTB?

5 years ago

Ah, sorry -- it is this site, "How Long to Beat", which tries to keep track of how long each game is.

Technically, Depressurizer takes the times from "How Long to Beat Steam", which tries to scrape the times from HLTB, which explains some discrepancies... but, really, details.

5 years ago

after reading you went through and categorized your games i decided to follow suit. 365 in certain parts like hog for well hogs. point and click. story not story games but actual stories so visual novels. rpg and the rest like multiplayer or ones that didnt suit the others i put just well into game. i got like 70 free things sorted out to which will go once im finished with them not that i remember which ones are free or which i paid for anymore. my other games 46 of them are hidden ready for me to delete but of course im not silly so im farming the cards out before i delete them.

5 years ago

my lib is fully categorised and around 30% is hidden. tags are the genre and the year. used depressurizer at the beginning and now I maintain it manually, adding new categories to the steam ones and fixing errors. I love browsing by year!

5 years ago*

I've got mine categorized by genre and by how many GB it takes to install-- a hold over from before I had an external hdd and thus was juggling my limited space. Now if I install a game I just take off the GB category and filter my client by Installed so I know what I'm currently playing. Hide the games that are 100% or that I tried and know that I'll never try again.

My RPG category is a bit of a mess since smth like half of my games belong to that cat, thinking of breaking it up to cRPG, aRPG, jRPG etc, but am too lazy to actually go ahead with it.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

Just to be clear, I'm not anal about your library. Only mine. ;)

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.