Sadly lockdown and post lockdown are seeing inflated prices throwing my upgarde plans for a toss. The only budget card I could buy finally was MSI GTX 1650 Ventus XS OC. I guess thats fine.

What is best CPU that can still support Win 7 or Win 8 maximum?

1] I am keen on Ryzen 3600 or i5 9400 with Gigabyte B460 Gaming X MB
Will those MBs work with either processor?

2] Will the above setup support win7 or win 8?

If not what is best CPU/MB that can work on win7/8?

EDIT: I am settled on either i5 9400 / 9600 or 10400. Ryzen is out for now.
If these do not support Win 7 then enxt ebst option in similar budget i5 or i7?

2 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

If I'm not mistaken AMD CPUs won't support Windows 7 and 8 since they've reached end of support by Microsoft.

2 years ago

same goes for any intels from skylake up

2 years ago

No, modern AMD CPUs do work on Windows 7, you just need to add USB3 drivers to the ISO before installing (it also needs drivers for NVMe SSDs if you plan on using them). Gigabyte even released their own tools for this purpose: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/gigabyte-windows-7-usb-installation-tool.249384/

The biggest problem with going with Windows 7 atm is that Nvidia has stopped releasing drivers for it as of a few months ago.

2 years ago

I am in a similar situation. I want to build a new computer, but I don't want to go to Windows 10 or 11. I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think any Ryzen CPU was meant to work on Windows 7, but people have got it working. I think it was pretty easy with first gen Ryzen, but gets more difficult with each new generation. I'm pretty sure you have to rely on community modified drivers.

On Intel, I think Skylake (6000 series) was the last officially supported for Windows 7. Like AMD, newer generations work, but I think the newer you go, the harder it becomes to find drivers.

Sorry I can not be more help. The best thing to do is probably just search for Windows 7 and the CPU you are interested in and see what other people have said in forums about getting it working.

I am still using a 3570K on Windows 7. I just installed Detroit: Become Human and that game is not happy on an old 4 core. I have been putting off upgrading for a while specifically because I do not want to leave Windows 7 and I still have a huge backlog of games that will play perfectly fine on my current setup, but I think I will be upgrading this year and I and it looks more and more like Linux will be in my future.

2 years ago

or Win 8

When you're willing to use 8 (which is far worse aside from slightly lower memory use), why are you against 10?

lockdown and post lockdown

No those aren't the cause, it's solely due to cryptominers

CPU that can still support

any will run, with varying degrees of tinkering.
Question is, what is your budget?

2 years ago

My budget is exactly what i5 9400 or Ryzen 5 3600 offers. I didlike the auto updates, data sharing and sending all softwares I own for update without my wish in Win10. I thnk it is highly nosey.

I had decided on GTX 1660 normal before lockdown but now 1650 has reached that budget in India and and that card jumped up 50% in rates. Sellers are milking it making excuses of lockdown months to fleece citing shortage of supply.

2 years ago*

what i5 9400 or Ryzen 5 3600

I strongly recommend to go with Ryzen because then you can upgrade to a 5K model with more cores later.
With crap Intel you are locked because they use different sockets for every CPU, so you can basically never upgrade and need to buy a new motherboard every time.

Did you already buy the 'Gigabyte B460'? Then there's no choice anymore unfortunately.

I didlike the auto updates

me too, but you can disable them completely.
Best thing about 11 being out is that there won't be any big updates for 10 anymore that tend to break stuff previously.

I thnk it is highly nosey.

True but that has been going on since XP, and there are ways to reduce it.

Staying on 7 you will lose out on DirectX 12 and some games will flat out not work.
I recommend to rethink, with new hardware I generally suggest to go with 10.

I still own legal Win7

you can upgrade for free

Sellers are milking it making excuses

Exactly, they are making excuses.
The real reason is that crypto miners are buying those cards at twice and triple the price because they can still make profit with it.

2 years ago

Also - I still own legal Win7 with 3 installs left.

2 years ago

Then upgrade to win 10, it's free

2 years ago

I have an i3 8100 with a 1060gtx.They work well together, did not experience cpu bottleneck. Its not expensive and only insufficient if You plan on upgrading your vga soon, but with current prices its not possible for many of us anyway, so its not much of a setback.

2 years ago

Motherboards usually support only one type of socket, so it's highly unlikely you'll find one that supports both AMD and Intel. Maybe they exist, but I've never heard of 'em.

I tried googling your model, but I couldn't find it. According to Gigabyte's website, B460 is an Intel chipset (incompatible with any of the AMD CPU's) and they only currently have the B460M Gaming HD. It's for LGA 1200 sockets. The i5 9400 uses LGA 1151, so no, it's not compatible.

Whatever you choose, I'd recommend ditching Win7/8 and opting for Win10 or Linux Mint, which offers the easiest transition from a Windows-based environment.

2 years ago*

Yeah will stick to i5 9400 / 9600 or 10400. Ryzen is out for now.

2 years ago

Make sure you choose the right motherboard because the B460 doesn't support an i5 9400 / 9600. Pay attention to socket support when you look for these things.

2 years ago

yeah. I think if I choose 10400 then B460. if 9400/9600 then B365?

2 years ago

Sorry not wanting to be obvious but shouldn't you have figured this out before buying things?

Maybe you should get rid of the idea of sticking to windows 7 and hop on 10, you be surprised how many things still actually work (coming from a retro gamer), you only hurt/limit yourself in the end.
As to the old look and feel, openshell, problem solved.

2 years ago

GTX 1650 works with all Win 7/8/10 thats no issue. It was best I could afford in my budget presently with inflated GPU prices.

2 years ago

Yeah offcourse the card can go on all, but you are gonna limit yourself on the cpu with windows 7/8 maximum you say.
If you are open to atleast windows 10 but can't afford the cpu now, i'd say wait.

I was also very very anti windows 10 until coffee lake made me, but with openshell, i got nothing to complain about, under the hood it's still all the same.

2 years ago*

EDIT: I am settled on either i5 9400 / 9600 or 10400. Ryzen is out for now.
If these do not support Win 7 then enxt ebst option in similar budget i5 or i7?

2 years ago

None of the new(er) products support end-of-life operating systems. If you get everything working, good for you, but nothing is guaranteed.

By the way, if you knew how vulnerable Win7 has become since Microsoft stopped patching it you'd stay as far away from it as you could. If you hate Win10 that much, why don't you switch to Linux?

2 years ago*

normally you would ask if it runs WIN11!!
Its strongly advised to use WIN10 or linux

Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962

this means you have 0 support for any modern software or game, not to mention drivers. and security is a nightmare by now
so whatever you do avoid WIN7 for a system you actively use
WIN10 is very good now and if you cant afford it Linux can fill the gap till you figure out how to get WIN10

now regarding the CPU, assuming its for games you will be limited by the GPU anyway so it will make little difference
so get the cheapest option for (CPU/MoBo)
and check the support website for the Motherboard to find CPU support list

2 years ago*

For Windows 7 Intel CPUs work up to the 11th gen, and all modern AMD processors work too. That said, you'll need to add USB3 and NVMe drivers to the Windows 7 ISO before installing it.

Some info here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/384921-Windows-7-Image-Updater-SkyLake-KabyLake-CoffeLake-Ryzen-Threadripper

2 years ago*

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea you'd be fine with Windows 8 but not Windows 10. But you do you, I guess.

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.