I just tried to post an image on the site and I got an error telling me that "comments are limited to 10,000 characters or less". Somehow the url I copied for an image I got in a google image search was over 10,000 characters. It has to be the longest url I have seen. I don't think it is the real url because you can go to the page and then copy the image url, but it does work as a url if you paste it in your browser.

Edit: From what I have learned from other user comments, google stores thumbnails of the images as base64 data. For some reason google was not able to get the URL of the image, so I ended up getting their actual data of the thumbnail image instead of the URL to the original image.

I removed the massive URL, since there's no point is posting it here.

6 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

That's because it's a Data URI. It doesn't point to a location; rather, it Base64 encodes the image itself. It contains the entire image.

6 years ago

Why would google give me that as the url when I right click the image from the google search and click "copy image location"?

6 years ago

Because it is the image URL.
There is no file located of the server, they just added base64-form of picture inside their HTML. Sometimes it's used to reduce page weight, but usually with smaller pictures (like icons).

6 years ago

If I click "visit" to go to the page where the image is located and then right click the image and copy the location, it gives me the real url to the image: http://themetapicture.com/media/funny-duck-afro-hair.jpg

6 years ago

The encoded data is for a thumbnail.

6 years ago

So does google create their own thumbnail to use on their search as base64 data and for some reason when I copied the url it gave me their data instead of the url to the image like it does with every other one?

6 years ago

Exactly. Google caches all images for preview. Well, most of them.

U can check it, for example, for this site by entering "cache:www.steamgifts.com" here

6 years ago*

That's weird because I always copy all image url's that way. So something must have messed up in the google search and the url to the image wasn't available so it copied the url of their thumbnail which is actually just data. That's interesting, I didn't know you could input data into your browser like that and it would convert it.

6 years ago

What this generally indicates is that the original image couldn't be loaded—either it no longer exists, or it threw an 'access denied' error, or some similar reason.

Google Images used to create its own cached copy of the image to display, which it would store on its servers (and therefore have a normal URI), and only show you the original source image if you clicked the 'View Image' button. A recent redesign changed this; now it shows you the Data URI thumbnail by default, and when you click the thumbnail, it tries to load the source image on the results page, and replace the Data URI thumbnail with it. But if it can't, because the original image threw an error, the thumbnail remains: which is why you copied it instead of the source image.

Also of note, there's no theoretical limit to the length of a Data URI. You could encode a 10 MB JPG image as a Data URI, which would be 2,796,227 characters long (in practice, enjoy your web browser crashing trying to load it, at least directly).

6 years ago

Wow Im learning a lot lol

6 years ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64, the "URL applications" section.

6 years ago

But why would I get that when I right click the image from a google search and click "copy image location"? Isn't that kind of odd?

6 years ago

Thanks for the puzzle and skyrim.

6 years ago*

xD

6 years ago

6 years ago

I found another copy of the same image, I was just wondering why it gave me what it did. I can actually use the original image if I go to the site. If I click "visit" to go to the page where the image is located and then right click the image and copy the location, it gives me the real url to the image: http://themetapicture.com/media/funny-duck-afro-hair.jpg

6 years ago

It's best when that happens when you try to quickly share an image with someone in chat, but instead you end up filling the chat with that shit.

6 years ago

View attached image.
6 years ago

Invalide Product Code, your key is wrong :(

6 years ago

With the number of games being released on Steam, we may end up having game keys that are this long one day :)

6 years ago

At least some sites like Humble have already solved the hassle of any key length by putting a "redeem" button next to the key. Imagine if future keys were a slightly different image of a key which would be encoded in Base64, both cool and oh god at the same time.

6 years ago

lol, but no, first 93.795.878.551.873.643.905.024 copies must be sold ^^ (34^15)

6 years ago

Why 34? It's 26 letters plus 10 digits. Am I missing something?

Also, there are 25-character codes (which I've seen) and some mysterious 17-character codes "237ABCDGHJLPRST 23" (which I haven't) according to https://store.steampowered.com/account/registerkey .

So the real number (assuming all characters in the 17-character code can be letters and digits) is 808 281 277 465 050 793 517 017 391 621 732 302 848 or roughly 808 undecillion/sextillion (depending on short/long notation).

If the first three and the last two characters in the 17-character code are digits only and other are letters only then the number of codes is a "shy" 237 decillion/quintilliard (236 773 841 455 734 660 084 797 453 521 715 961).

6 years ago

Why 34

2 letters aren't used, think it were o and i

25-character codes (which I've seen) and some mysterious 17-character codes

which are former retail-/special-case codes, unavailable for current devs, so first the 15' chars have to run out (they won't).

6 years ago

Sometimes I wish I had never heard of base64.

6 years ago

Over 10,000 is the new over 9,000.

6 years ago

You can visit the site and right click the image to open in new tab or find the same image from another site.

6 years ago

It sometimes happens when you're too quick to copy a link as well! Google saves a lower quality thumbnail to use while it's loading, but will actually load the image itself into the place of the thumbnail as soon as it can. For whatever reason the full size image wasn't loaded yet. If you try it again after letting it sit for a couple of seconds it's usually fine.

And of course sometimes it just isn't, in which case you grab it from the page it was linked from instead.

6 years ago

Found the hidden giveaway

6 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.