Edit 2: Keys have been revoked.

Edit: I didn't know this or else I wouldn't have created this thread, but apparently this has happened in the past where free weekend keys still work and then get revoked later, so don't get too excited about being able to keep the game. I have never activated a free weekend key before and when I saw that this one was still working after the date it was supposed to be revoked and it activated as a retail copy, I thought they made a mistake and we might get to keep them, but I am now starting to doubt that after reading some comments.

There is a free weekend giveaway on Alienware Arena for Adventures of Chris. This giveaway has been available for about a week and it says that it is for a free weekend and the game will be removed from your Steam account on October 11th.

There have been a bunch of giveaways created for the game and they get deleted when they are informed that the key in only good for a free weekend. I was just talking to someone that created a giveaway and they just activated a key and it still works. I then read a comment from someone else that said the game is still activated on their account even though the free weekend is over. I just grabbed a key to test it and it activated as a retail copy in my Steam licenses and can still be installed.

I have never activated a free weekend key, so I'm not sure how they work. Do they ever show in the Steam licenses as "retail" or does that mean that Alienware Arena was given permanent keys by accident?

You should not use these keys for giveaways

There are still copies of the game available, but I do not know if the keys will get revoked. So maybe grab one if you want the game, but I would recommend not creating a giveaway with it because it is against the rules to create giveaways with temporary keys and there is a good chance it could get revoked.

2 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Still in my library too. Hmmm.

2 years ago

Reading this I got curious.. I went to check if unused keys from those ga's could activate (I didn't own Cyber Hook and Mable). To my surprise I was able to successfully activate them.. Huh.. Dunno if they will stay as Helliborn was a bit late to get revoked too but it was interesting xD

2 years ago

Are you saying that they did a free weekend for a game called Helliborn and it didn't get removed right after the free weekend, but got removed later? I didn't know that and if that is the case then this will probably get revoked too and maybe I shouldn't have created the thread since the free weekend just ended yesterday.

Do you know how long after the free period ended before it got revoked? Do you know what it activated as in your list of Steam licenses. I'm not sure if it will still show in your licenses now or if it gets removed from there.

2 years ago*

If I remember well it had a small delay. Imo if a week passes and it's still in your library it will stay there but I wouldn't hold my breathe over it.

I didn't had claimed that as I don't like Helicopters but I did try to activate now those because it has that bundle on steam from the dev and because they are more to my style. But I would wait 1-2 days atleast to see how it goes.

Safe for giveaways though they are not.. We'll see, we can hope they will stay :D

2 years ago

Helliborn got removed

yes

this will probably get revoked too

yes

I shouldn't have created the thread since the free weekend just ended yesterday

yes

what it activated as in your list of Steam licenses

like a regular key, no distinction

gets removed from there (licenses).

yes

but remains visible on the support page

2 years ago

Just tried Adventures of Chris and Mable & The Wood from the same publisher both given away on AWA. Keys for both games are still working. Maybe the publisher is nice and let us keep the licenses? It has happened before.
Edit:
My game count on my profile also went up which shouldn't happen with temporary keys or should it?

2 years ago*

On AWA?.. When? Or just a dev elsewhere you meant?

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

2 years ago

Thanks for the info, Cyber Hook worked too:

https://eu.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2157635/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/cyber-hook-free-play-weekend-key-giveaway

Play Cyber Hook for free on Steam until October 11th when the game will leave your library.

I've just activated a key for it (October 13th) so they are not revoked yet.

EDIT: Double Cross keys are still working too:
https://eu.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2157636/boards/contest-and-giveaways-global/Giveaway/double-cross-free-play-weekend-key-giveaway

2 years ago

I think they were just forgotten.
In a few days, the developer will wake up and remove from accounts all the keys from this batch.

2 years ago

^ This. The dev has to use developer tools to manually remove the batch of keys.

2 years ago

Most likely yeah

2 years ago

They should just let us keep the games...

2 years ago

Deleted

2 years ago

By all appearances the keys seem to be normal retail keys. If you try buying this bundle you'll get a special discount for already owning parts of it.

I think the publisher fucked up and generated normal keys instead of keys for beta testing. Of course the publisher can revoke these keys (and probably will) but Valve will exercise more scrutiny than in the past if they learned anything from unjustified mass revocation events. If I'm right they will have to notify each license holder with their dreaded revocation message stating the reason for revoking the key.

2 years ago

my key was revoked :(

2 years ago

Deleted

2 years ago

Adventures of Chris was just revoked from my account so, I am sure the others will be as well.

2 years ago

View attached image.
View attached image.
2 years ago*

I got a key but it says it is a duped key.

2 years ago

Adventures of Chris is getting Revoked
Here is the Proof

2 years ago

Adventures of chris is revoked :(

2 years ago

yep

2 years ago

Adventures of chris is revoked

2 years ago

My key was dupe. Not good i say. But thanks for the heads up anyway.

2 years ago

What do you expect when trying to redeem a key that has been revoked?

2 years ago

Thanks, haha. How would i know. Guess it was fun while it lasted, nvm. :D

2 years ago

Cyber Hook revoked as well. They other 2 should soon follow

2 years ago

I confirm, there are some keys left for me, get a key but it was a dupe

2 years ago

revoked

2 years ago

double cross too sad

2 years ago

They had forgotten to revoke these games but this thread reminded them :p

2 years ago

Mable & The Wood is also being revoked

2 years ago

All of these keys just revoked today.

2 years ago

revoked

2 years ago

Why do people expect to keep them? I generally don't bother with free weekends unless I intend to play right then.

Even if the keys aren't specifically labelled as beta or something, they come from a batch of codes that they have recorded for mass revoke. They may not have set a specific time to revoke them, so it was done by a human when they got around to it. It's not possible to give the "wrong type of key" as some people thought because you are in fact getting a key for the full game to try it out. Regardless of the type of key, that's pretty simple for them to do. Just nice of them to give people some extra time to play, I guess.

2 years ago

would have played it, but they gave me a used code...

2 years ago

Yeah, that sucks. =(

Not sure if you mentioned on here at the time. Someone might have grabbed you a key. I know I would have if I'd seen it. I had no intention of getting one for myself.

2 years ago

¯_(ツ)_/¯

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.