The reason I ask is because I've been doing research and I've been conflicted. While you can save $50-$70 by going with the 3GB over the 6GB, more games seem to be using 4GB+ of VRAM. However, there's only a 5-10% decrease in performance when using the 3GB so you really get value for the 3GB.

Thoughts?

7 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

From what I know, 3GB to 6GB is a huge difference and boosts it a lot in my opinion. Also, if the difference in price is around less than a $100 I think it would be better to get the 6GB, especially for the future.

7 years ago

Certainly 6GB.

View attached image.
7 years ago

If you only play, 3GB will be enough, if you do any advanced graphic (be it graphics mods, 3D modelling, game engine, VR etc...) go for the 6GB if you can.

VRAM is what output the actual frames, the more VRAM the higher the real-time resolution or fps.

7 years ago

most new games already use more than 3gb (rise of the tomb raider, rainbow six siege, doom, hitman...) to store textures.

"VRAM is what output the actual frames, the more VRAM the higher the real-time resolution or fps." ahm... no.

7 years ago

Hum...yes, specifically because it BUFFERS graphics elements like textures and maps to output images.

Do Rise of Tomb Raider, Doom, Hitman not work with 3GB?

7 years ago

they do but like you see in some post above you have 1) lower fps 2) higher loading times 3) micro stuttering 4) need to change the texture quality

the vram is not what "output the frames". that's just wrong. like you said in second post: it is a storage.
And for example between 8gb and 16gb vram you would not feel any difference in 99.9% of the games so it's not more vram = more fps.

7 years ago

"the vram is not what "output the frames". that's just wrong. like you said in second post: it is a storage.
And for example between 8gb and 16gb vram you would not feel any difference in 99.9% of the games so it's not more vram = more fps."

Yes that was unprecise: VRAM is not just "memory", it's a buffer. The bigger the buffer, the faster or bigger the GPU can outputs images.

7 years ago

that's something you should go with for years, so for $50-$70, just pick the 6GB one. you'll cash more money for that one but it should make it for longer and with better results all along

7 years ago

God I want a new video card, but my wimpy power supply can't handle more than my 750-ti. What can I expect from a computer from early 2012?

7 years ago

GTX1070 minimum..
but if you can't then just get the best you CAN afford.. if you can afford the 6GB, then get it..

7 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.