Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Downfall: The Case Against Boeing - 7/10

2 years ago

Just saw that one, i kinda remember when it happened, but didnt know it was that bad tbh.
Love it when they make these kind of movies!

2 years ago

yeah it was a good documentary maybe a little too long:) unfortunately america is really just about that dollar bill and nothing else :)

2 years ago

The Eyes of Tammy Faye (2000)

American documentary film. It's a surprisingly good documentary. Narrated by RuPaul. It's about Tammy Faye Bakker (the new movie is actually based on this documentary). Didn't really know anything about her, so I'm surprised how different her views were from other televangelists, I mean she was openly advocating for LGBT persons for example. So it's a shame that she passed away in 2007 from colon cancer and her first husband, televangelist, rapist and convicted fraudster Jim Bakker is still alive and most recently is selling silver supplements, falsely claiming they can cure Covid. The documentary is only 78 minutes long, so definitely worth a watch before you see the new movie starring Jessica Chastain and Andrew Garfield. Recommended!

2 years ago

Tenet 🤙

2 years ago

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14169960/ All of us are Dead.

Pretty damn good .

2 years ago

I recommended it earlier.

2 years ago

Liked it at the start, but then the "twist" just didn't land with me, lost interest mid-season. I don't understand why it lands so high in charts (South-Korean stuff so hot right now?), I don't think it adds a lot of new to the genre. Or I just don't like what it gives, I'm not sure about it. But it's surely well done!

2 years ago

looks really good, will give it a go!
Cheers!

2 years ago

The Eyes of Tammy Faye (2021)

American biographical drama film. The first actual scene from this movie already repeats a scene from the documentary I've seen yesterday. Pretty much word for word. Beyond that this movie goes much more into Tammy Faye's life. Childhood, her family, when she met Jim Bakker, how they got their tv show and stuff like that. Stuff that the documentary only mentioned briefly is really fleshed out here. But yeah, the documentary was 78 minutes long while this movie is 126 minutes long, so there's bound to be some stuff expanded on in comparison. Great performances, especially by Jessica Chastain (deserved Best Actress nomination for her), Andrew Garfield and Vincent D’Onofrio. At the end you obviously get one of those "where are they now" montages, which I kinda expected with this kind of movie. With the documentary you didn't, mostly because the important people were all still alive. Yeah, some stuff was lifted pretty much exactly from the docu, other stuff was changed for whatever reason. It's definitely interesting to watch them together, so if you're planning on watching this for the Oscars I highly recommend you put aside those 78 minutes to watch the documentary before. Can recommend both!

2 years ago

Summer of Soul (...Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised) (2021)

American documentary film. It's about the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival. Lots of very good music by legendary performers. But let's be real... did you know of that festival? I didn't. I should. But at least now I do. Great documentary, highly recommended!

2 years ago

Chinatown

I've heard references about the California water wars in Grand Theft Auto V but I found the topic so interesting I spent ~ 2 hours reading up on the whole thing after watching this movie.
Definitely recommended.

2 years ago

The Long Goodbye (2020)

British drama short film. It's only 12 minutes long, but very powerful. Great performance by Riz Ahmed in a poignant short film where a normal day quickly evolves into a nightmare. Highly recommended!
(It's on Youtube btw, so if you have 12 minutes to spare definitely check this out!)

2 years ago

Re-watched Terminator 1-2. Still awesome.
I remember seeing the first one when I was 7 or 8 years old in the library on VHS with static noises, really bad picture quality and with double voicedub -> there was the original English voice with a narratedlike Hungarian dub, which was the same voice of a man for all actors.

2 years ago

Taken 3 🤙

2 years ago

2 years ago

On My Mind (2021)

Danish drama short film. It's only 18 minutes long, but surprisingly it feels even shorter. A man walks into a sleepy bar and wants to sing karaoke for his wife. It has to be now. Very touching, so much emotion in such a short movie. It's on Youtube, so definitely check it out!

2 years ago

Raya and the Last Dragon (2021)

American computer-animated fantasy adventure film. Visually it's very good. But otherwise it's really nothing special. The setting might be different, but the underlying story is nothing new, pretty predictable. Still overall enjoyable if you're looking past those things. If you got kids who love dragons, this might be great for them, though. Overall I can't really recommend it, but you do you.

This was the last of this year's Best Animated Feature nominations, so now I do have an opinion on who might win or not. This one and Luca were obviously good enough to get nominated, but I think that's it. If I'd have to bet on the winner I'd either pick Flee (the serious choice) or Encanto (the traditional Disney choice). Maybe The Mitchells vs. the Machines has a slight chance, too. But overall I think they're gonna go with Encanto. If you've watched all the Best Animated Feature nominees this year, what are your thoughts on the matter?

2 years ago

The Old Man & the Gun (2018)

American biographical crime film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still a lot of fun.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

West Side Story (2021)

American musical romantic drama film. It doesn't bring anything new to the table, apart from having actors who can/are allowed to actually sing themselves rather than being dubbed. It's also starting off what's probably gonna become a great, long career of Rachel Zegler, which is a good thing. Seeing Rita Moreno in this was also cool. But apart from that it's nothing new or anything. Still, it's a good movie, but that's partly because the stuff it's based on is already very good.
(Forgot to post this yesterday, when I watched the movie.)

2 years ago

Have you seen the 1961 movie? I'd be interested to hear how you think this remake compares to that.

2 years ago

I still prefer the original, but with this one they have also improved on a lot of things. The Puerto Rican characters are all played by Latin actors, for example. And they sing themselves, as opposed to in the original where white actors played those parts and were dubbed for the singing. But the setting felt way more contemporary in the original (movie set in the 50s coming out in '61) compared to the new one (still set in the 50s but coming out ~70 years later). The original was more colourful which worked for me because it's a musical after all and with that come certain things that don't have to be as realistic. The characters wore colours clearly showing which gang they belonged to, in the new one everyone is wearing the same browns and greys. The sets in the new one are also way more dull, where again, I preferred the more colourful ones in the original. Also, having to look at rapist Ansel Elgort all the time I couldn't really immerse myself in the movie as much.
So yeah, I mean the new one is still very good and I can definitely recommend this. But I personally like the original a bit more.

2 years ago

I'm watching New Girl right now

Its pretty much fun series to watch

2 years ago

Happy Cake Day!

2 years ago

Robin Robin (2021)

British stop-motion animated musical short film. It's made by Aardman Animations, the people behind Morph, Wallace and Gromit, Chicken Run, Flushed Away, Shaun the Sheep and many more. So you know the animation is gonna be great, these people have been doing animation since the early 70s (in fact they're 50 years this april). So yeah, from a technical standpoint this needle-felted animation is pretty much flawless. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's very fun and engaging, partly because of a great cast including Richard E. Grant, Gillian Anderson and Adeel Akhtar among a cast of talented child (voice) actors and partly because the plot is just entertaining. It's on Netflix and it's just half an hour long, so do check it out.

2 years ago*

Bestia (2021)

Chilean stop-motion animated historical short film. Despite being animated, this is definitely not a kid's movie. It's about Ingrid Olderöck, who was part of the secret police of Chile during the dictatorship of Augusto Pinochet. She was very infamous, that's all I'm gonna stay. For example she trained her dog to rape political prisoners. Genuinely one of the most disturbing animated movies I've ever seen, considering it's based on real events. I didn't know what this was about so yeah, go in blindly if you can. Highly recommended!

2 years ago

The Windshield Wiper (2021)

Spanish-American animated short film. The animation is very good, but the story isn't. It's all about love and that in this day and age technology drives us apart. It's core message might be that "we live in a society without love" because people are always on their phones or stuff like that. So while the animation is nice to look at, this might be my least favourite Best Animated Short nominee at the Oscars this year so far. Can't really recommend it.

2 years ago

The Batman (2022)

American superhero crime drama film. Watched this at the cinema yesterday and it was really good. Great performances, very good plot. Not gonna say anything else about it, because the movie isn't even out everywhere, but you should go watch it. It's very entertaining. And that new Batmobile is sick! Highly recommended. Also, this was the first 2022 movie I've seen in 2022.

2 years ago

Licorice Pizza (2021)

American period coming-of-age comedy-drama film. The fact that this is the the film debut for both the leads, Alana Haim and Cooper Hoffman, makes sense considering how real their performances feel. No, they're no amateurs (Alana Haim is a successful musician in the band Haim, together with her sisters (who btw are also in this movie, along with their parents; all the Haims are in this movie pretty much) and Cooper Hoffman is Philip Seymour Hoffman's son, so he grew up not far from acting either) but you can feel that these performances are raw and realistic. Great supporting cast as well (Bradley Cooper, Tom Waits, Benny Safdie, Sean Penn, John C. Reilly, Maya Rudolph and more). The story itself is very slice-of-life. The movie is suprisingly over 130 minutes long and I say "surprisingly" because it absolutely doesn't feel like that. Time flies past when watching this movie. Made me nostalgic for 1970s small-town USA although I'm not american nor have I been alive in the 70s. Overall this is a great movie, definitely one of the best of 2021! Highly recommended!

2 years ago*

The Queen of Basketball (2021)

American documentary short film. It's about Lusia Harris, probably the greatest female basketball player of her time, if not all time. She was one of the pioneers of women's basketball, won three national trophies, won an Olympic Silver Medal in 1976, was inducted to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and Women's Basketball Hall of Fame and she was also the first and only woman ever officially drafted by the National Basketball Association (NBA). So overall she was just a phenomenal player. But have you heard of her? This short docu is told in a very intimate style, we see her in a close-up talking about the things she did and experienced and inbetween you can see clips from back then. She's laughing, she's sentimental at some points, overall it's hard not to like her. She didn't care about fame or anything, she just wanted to play basketball and she was damn good at it. Towards the end of the short we see her in a wider shot for the first time and in stark contrast to everything we've seen so far she's sitting in a wheelchair, slowly rolling onto a basketball court. Sadly Lusia Harris passed away on January 18th, 2022, just a few weeks before this documentary short was nominated for an Oscar. I haven't seen all the nominated docu shorts yet, but for now this is my favourite. It's free on Youtube and I highly recommend you watch it!

2 years ago

Drive My Car (2021)

Japanese drama film. It's a very good movie. I understand how some people might be hesitant to watch this (it's japanese and 3 hours long, so you have to be really focussed for a long time) but just do it. This movie deserves your full attention. It's definitely slow moving, nothing action packed or anything. You can kinda describe it as a road movie, but it's so much more. It's about love, grief, self-acceptance and the struggles of letting go, it's a very complex drama that's absolutely worth the watch.
Now after watching this I've completed some of the Oscar categories this is nominated in. For Best Picture I can see this having a good chance to win, it's definitely in my Top 5 of the nominees there but there are a few that I preferred. For Best Director I can't really see it winning, I'd be surprised if it did. Same goes for Best Adapted Screenplay, although with that category it's not as obvious to me as the Best Director race.

2 years ago

Biutiful (2010)

Really liked it. Iñárritu makes some depressing movies which are my jam lol.

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.