Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Nosferatu - Eine Symphonie des Grauens (1922)

German Expressionist silent horror film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still a masterpiece! And it's 100 years old now. And it's free on youtube. If you haven't seen it already (or know Nosferatu just from Spongebob), you should watch it.

2 years ago

Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom (2019)

Bhutanese drama film. It's really good, didn't expect that. The story isn't very original, it's basically just about a culture clash like so many movies before it. But the execution of that story is so worth the watch! It's about a young teacher in Bhutan not wanting to be a teacher but to start a singing career in Australia. But then he's being transferred to the most remote school in the world. The school in a small village in northwestern Bhutan called Lunana. Being from Thimphu, the capital of Bhutan, our protagonist Ugyen is of course used to everyday luxury. Stuff the people in Lunana don't have. Like electricity or even paper and a blackboard in the school. It's hard for him, but the villagers there are so welcoming, kind and just generally good people. As Ugyen falls in love with the village and its people, so do you. And the scenery is absolutely stunning with the himalayas in the background. This is a feelgood movie. If you want to watch something to just enjoy it and feel good, this is it. Highly recommended!
And with this I completed the Best International Feature category. Yesterday I would've said that Drive My Car should probably win it, today I know that this 100% deserves the win. It's a great movie.

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Rewatched winter soldier for the first time in like 2 years! Still 8/10
Last new movie i watched uncharted, not really what i hoped it would be! 5/10

2 years ago

Lead Me Home (2021)

American short documentary film. Heartbreaking story about the homelessness epidemic in the US, following several homeless people living on the streets of the West Coast of the United States. These people are not all the same, there's no singular thing that makes you homeless. They all got their own experiences, their own lives, their own reasons they've become homeless. It could happen to everyone. The movie itself could've fleshed out the things it touched on a bit more, it would definitely work as a feature-length documentary as well.

2 years ago

BoxBallet (2021)

Russian animated short drama film. It's about a big, muscular boxer and a small, slender ballet dancer. Two people who couldn't be more different. But as they say, opposites attract. The animation was nice, too. Can recommend.
So, now I have watched all the animated shorts nominated for the Oscars this year. I'd go with Bestia, but I feel like the voters will go with Robin Robin.

2 years ago

Three Songs for Benazir (2021)

Afghan-American documentary short film. It's about a young father-to-be who wants to become the first from his tribe joining the Afghan National Army. This was an interesting short, but I don't think it really has any chances to win. Still gotta watch one more to complete the documentary shorts category but yeah, this didn't stand out.

2 years ago

Been watching mainly TV shows lately.
I did watch the Austrian Film "Wilde Maus" last week in a small private "Director's Screening" from the local director's association, where the director and DPs where present.
It was good but I'm still disappointed in most Austrian films as most are very similar in tone and genre and it's hard to get your film made if it deviates from that "formula" too much, same with Germany from what I hear from friends.

2 years ago

When We Were Bullies (2021)

German-American documentary short film. Frankly, this wasn't very good. It's about a filmmaker tracking down his classmates and teacher from 50 years ago to talk about a bullying incident the whole class participated in. He managed to talk to almost everyone (apart from two people who already passed away) AND the kid that was bullied. It's not that he didn't try to connect to him as well, he just decides not to. Which is really weird. You're making a movie about someone being bullied and you have everyone else talk about how weird that kid was but you decide not to even try and talk to him about it out of fear? In a documentary like this you really need the victim's perspective. Like this the movie just feels like a "I made a movie about it so I'm sin-free now". I didn't like this one, especially as someone who was bullied in school.
Okay, after having now watched all the documentary shorts nominated for an Oscar this year I have a clear favourite and it's The Queen of Basketball.

2 years ago

West Side Story (2021)

Awful

2 years ago

I tried to watch this and only got 20 minutes in before I shut it off. I agree with your review.

2 years ago

Please Hold (2020)

American sci-fi short film. Feels a lot like a Black Mirror episode. At just under 20 minutes sadly a pretty short one. There were some good ideas here but it should've been at least twice as long. Like this it's good, but definitely makes you crave more.

2 years ago

Boiling Point - 7/10

2 years ago

The Adam Project

It was fine. Nothing amazing but it was enjoyable enough.

2 years ago

Ala Kachuu - Take and Run (2020)

Swiss-Kyrgyz drama short film. It's about bride kidnapping, something that's all too common in Kyrgyzstan, even to this day. The movie is shot beautifully, which is definitely contrasting with the shocking subject matter it is about.
With this one I've completed the live action shorts category and I feel like this is the one that's gonna win. The others are all pretty much on the same (high) level, apart from Please Hold because it could've been longer, but Ala Kachuu is a bit better than the rest imho.

2 years ago

The Adam Project - 6/10

2 years ago

Shadow of the Vampire (2000)

American metafiction dark comedy horror film. Rewatched this yesterday and it's still very good!

2 years ago

The French Dispatch - 6/10

2 years ago

Parallel Mothers (2021)

Spanish drama film. Okay, this one started off slow but got much faster and more intriguing later on. And what a story it is! I'm not gonna spoil anything here, you'll just have to watch it for yourself. Very good movie, recommended!
And with this I finished the two categories this was nominated for. Best Actress and Best Score. For Best Actress I believe Kirsten Stewart has it in the bag, to be honest. But Penélope Cruz might have a small chance, too. And Best Score? Can't say. They could go with Dune or with Encanto. Or maybe with The Power of the Dog.

2 years ago

Spider-Man: No Way Home - 8/10

2 years ago

Scream 1996 - 6/10

2 years ago

The Godfather (1972)

American epic crime film. Is this the best movie ever made? Probably not, but it's pretty close. It's definitely a masterpiece with phenomenal performances, a stunning plot and frankly nothing I can see that'd be wrong with it. I mean all those people who think this is the best movie ever made certainly have a point in believing so. The Godfather was released exactly 50 years ago today so I thought I'd finally watch it. Wanted to watch it at the cinema but they didn't have an english screening so I watched it at home. Definitely a movie I'm gonna watch again some time in the future. Do I really need to recommend it if everyone else has already watched it? Well, do watch it. Get rid of the "this is the best movie ever" kind of thoughts because overhyping any movie is never good.

2 years ago

Scream 2022 - 5/10

2 years ago

Snatch (2000)

Took WAY too much time to actually see this, but worth the wait. It's really a treat in its original language, and was an all-around super entertaining, really well-made movie. Loved it!

2 years ago

Deleted

2 years ago*

Did you watch No Exit twice?

2 years ago

Deleted

2 years ago*