Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Yesterday I saw "Overlord" (2018). I was expecting something on the line of Wolfenstein... In facts, is more like a bad war movie (the flying scene over the ships get several problems of historicism, the fights suck) and a regular-to-mediocre scy fi movie, more near to a parody of Reanimator's saga than to Wolfenstein's.

2 years ago

I remember loving this movie. Haven't seen it since it came out tho.

2 years ago

Maybe I had some unfounded expectations when I was seeing it, and that led to me didn't enjoy the movie. At least it wasn't a garbage film (like Red Rose of Normandy, as example XD)

2 years ago

The Cursed (Korean Drama)

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

The Defiant Ones (1958)

American adventure drama film. I wasn't able to do my week of watchin only Sidney Poitier movies when he passed because I was still watching James Bond. So yeah, this time it's a bit later than expected but here we go.
Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier are playing two prisoners, shackled together because "the warden had a sense of humor". After a crash they escape the truck they're being transported in and now they have to run from a large posse and bloodhounds. Despite their mutual hatred, they are forced to cooperate, as they are chained together, but gradually they begin to respect and like each other. Great performances by two of the greatest actors we ever had. The movie itself has a deep antiracist meaning behind it and for the late 50s that was very good. Overall this was a great movie and I can highly recommend this!

2 years ago*

Aimee & Jaguar (1999)
no words, just tears :(

2 years ago

No Way Out (1950)

American film noir. While the one yesterday was Sidney Poitier's first lead role, this one was his first credited role. While he was in two movies before, one was a documentary and for the other one he was just an uncredited extra. But for this being his first credited role he was already fantastic. It's about Dr. Luther Brooks, played by Poitier, the first black doctor at the urban county hospital he's working at. He's working at the hospital's prison ward when two brothers, Johnny and Ray, are brought in for treatment after both being shot in the leg while attempting a robbery. Johnny is disoriented and something isn't right. Luther is trying to treat him while Ray bombards him with racial slurs. Concerned that Johnny has a brain tumor he administers a spinal tap, but Johnny dies during the procedure. Now Ray accuses Luther of killing his brother and promises revenge. It's a fascinating story and it has you on the edge of your seat the whole time. The racism shown is very graphic, so much so that Richard Widmark (who played Ray) was apologizing to his friend Sidney Poitier after some of the more extreme takes. Overall it's another great movie and to think that Sidney Poitier was just 22 when he was shooting this movie... Highly recommended!

2 years ago

Dark Water (2002)

Japanese horror drama. Depressing af. This one will stick with me :(

8/10

2 years ago

The Jackal (1997)

American action thriller film. While yesterday's movie was pretty much Sidney Poitier's first role, this one was pretty much his last one. He did some documentaries and television movies after this, but this one was his final theatrical role. A good action thriller with an interesting story, but some flaws here and there and some weird decisions like why Richard Gere's character is irish for example. Still entertaining and the cast is great (Sidney Poitier, Richard Gere, Bruce Willis and more), so I think I can recommend it.

2 years ago*

A Raisin In The Sun (1961)

American drama film. All around great performances in this family drama starring Sidney Poitier, Ruby Dee, Diana Sands, Claudia McNeil and more. It's a simple story. The Younger family are a working class black family with three generations, five people, living in a small apartment. It appears their fortunes are about to change as grandmother Younger is about to receive a large insurance payout of $10000. But there is considerable disagreement within the household on how the money will be spent, resulting in friction within the family. I didn't know what to expect from this movie but it's surprisingly great. Definitely watch it! If not to honour Sidney Poitier maybe to celebrate Black History Month, with this movie being so culturally significant.

2 years ago

To Sir, with Love (1967)

British drama film. Not my favourite Sidney Poitier movie, but I can definitely see why people might consider it theirs. It's all around a great movie about a new teacher who's teaching a class of delinquent high schoolers how to be adults. It's a great movie, very good performances for what it is, just not as great as some of Poitiers other phenomenal performances. That said, this is a timeless classic and if you haven't seen it, you absolutely should. I'm not really someone who rewatches a lot of movies but this one feels like a movie you can watch every sunday and never get sick of it. Highly recommended!

2 years ago

2 years ago

Little Nikita (1988)

American neo noir thriller film. It's really good for what it is. Very interesting story about FBI and KGB agents. Great performances, especially by Sidney Poitier and River Phoenix. Makes me think about the great roles River Phoenix could've played in the last almost 30 years. So, I definitely enjoyed the movie. Can recommend!

2 years ago

Just finished watching All Of Us Are Dead.

I have to say that this was hands down an AMAZING show. I've seen just about all the zombie shows out there that I know of. Walking Dead, Fear The Walking Dead, Walking Dead World Beyond, Z Nation, Day of the Dead.

This was one of the best I have seen next to Day of the Dead and Z Nation. You can keep your Walking Dead. After season 7 it became completely unwatchable, it got that bad.

All Of Us Are Dead is a good 8/10.

2 years ago

House of Gucci - 6/10

2 years ago

A Cure for Wellness (2016)

German-american psychological horror film. Rewatched it yesterday and it's still very good!

2 years ago

Shoot to Kill (1988)

American buddy cop action thriller film. Good movie, interesting story. Sidney Poitier plays an FBI agent again. It's nothing outstanding but good for what it is.
So yeah, this was my week of Sidney Poitier movies. He was a phenomenal actor. While I much prefer his early anti-racist dramas over his late action thrillers, he was still delivering very good performances in the latter. And history will definitely never forget him. He wasn't just a great actor, he was also an important one. RIP to one of the greatest!

2 years ago

Nightmare Alley - 7/10

2 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

2 years ago

Ghost in the Shell (2017)
Not as bad as advertised, even thought it did have some glaring issues it was still watchable. I enjoyed some of the visuals quite a bit.

2 years ago

The Worst Person in the World (2021)

Norwegian dark romantic comedy-drama film. Very interesting slice-of-life movie. Very good performances by a (to me) unknown cast of young norwegian actors. It tells the story of four years in the life of Julie, a young woman who navigates the troubled waters of her love life and struggles to find her career path, leading her to take a realistic look at who she really is. It's definitely not for everyone, but if that sounds interesting to you, definitely check this one out! (Forgot to post this yesterday.)

2 years ago

Last Night in Soho (2021)

British psychological horror film. It's so good! Great performances, creepy atmosphere, visually stunning. Great cast, too. Thomasin McKenzie, Anya Taylor-Joy, Diana Rigg in what would be her final role, Matt Smith, Terence Stamp and more. Might actually be one of my favourite movies from last year. Highly recommended!

2 years ago

Nightmare Alley (1947)

American film noir. It's a very good movie. Great story of the rise and fall of a con man, starting and ending at a seedy traveling carnival. Very good performances, especially by Tyrone Power, Coleen Gray and Helen Walker. Definitely watch this, wether you watch it before the new adaptation or after doesn't matter. But watch it! Highly recommended!

2 years ago

2 years ago

Jolt 👎

2 years ago

Nightmare Alley (2021)

American neo-noir psychological thriller film. It's also very good, but not quite on par with the 1947 version. This one's a lot gorier, but the story isn't told quite as well as in the earlier movie. Very good cast (Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins, Rooney Mara, Ron Perlman, Mary Steenburgen, David Strathairn and more). Overall some parts were better than in the old one, some were worse, but I'd still say the old one was a bit better. Of course, Tyrone Power was a better leading man than Bradley Cooper. Also not as great as a lot of GDT's other work. I gotta say, I expected more. This one is however not a remake of Nightmare Alley (1947) but a new adaption of the original novel. I'd say both got their charme and both are worth watching. So yeah, recommended.

2 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.