Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

One Million B.C. (1940)

American fantasy film. Sure, it's absolute nonsense. Humans and dinosaurs didn't live at the same time. The whole dialogue is spoken in a made-up language. We see stuff like an armadillo with rubber spikes glued onto its head making sounds like a chainsaw being sold to us as a dinosaur. The "dinosaurs" sound like dogs, lions and elephants and all that stuff at the same time. But at the end of the day, it's an entertaining movie, nonsense or not. And also, it's not supposed to be scientifically accurate. It's a story in a story. A tall tale an anthropologist spins for his gullible audience. So overall I can recommend this.

1 year ago

Now you have to watch Caveman with Ringo Starr.

Come on. Have I ever steered you wrong..... Yet?

1 year ago

Although I've heard that it's not that good, as a spoof of the movies I've watched these last two days it might actually be quite entertaining. Thanks for the recommendation.

Edit: 10 minutes into I've noticed that I've already seen it in 2018. I knew it seemed familiar.

1 year ago*

El vampiro negro (1953)
Re-imagining of Fritz Lang's classic "M" by acclaimed Argentinian director, Román Viñoly Barreto. The film was just recently unearthed and restored by the Film Noir Foundation and it was well worth the effort - it's terrific.

1 year ago

One Million Years B.C. (1966)

British adventure fantasy film. It's a remake of One Million B.C. (1940), which I watched yesterday and it's pretty much just more of the same (except in colour this time) but it has a young Raquel Welch in it. And also while the original had lizards and the like as stand-ins for the dinosaurs, here we get stop-motion animated dinosaurs by the great Ray Harryhausen. The fight between stop-motion ceratosaurus and triceratops is so much more epic than the fight between alligator and lizard (dressed up as ceratosaurus and triceratops) in the original. So yeah, this is definitely one of those remakes that's better than the original. Still no masterpiece but if you're in the mood for a movie about humans and dinosaurs it's quite entertaining. If you're not a perfectionist like me who needs to see every remake and original and whatever, just watch this one.

1 year ago

Everything Everywhere All At Once. 8/10
I thought it was very good, visually impeccable with great CGI, a good touch of humor and a well-crafted story. No wonder it won 7 Oscars recently.

1 year ago

You People (2023)

American romantic comedy film. The comedy is good, they got a great cast (Jonah Hill, Lauren London, Eddie Murphy, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Nia Long, David Duchovny and more) but apart from the comedy not much worked. It's a typical guy meets girl story, apart from the fact that it's not. He's a white and jewish, she's black and muslim, which means that their families of course have to hate each other. Duh! That's the movie. They meet, fall in love, meet each others families which end up separating the two. Maybe the movie should've ended 20 minutes earlier because then they went for a saccharine reconciliation ending. Overall it's not a good movie but if you wanna shut off your brain for 2 hours it does its job.

1 year ago

I'm no Angel (1933)

Pre-code comedy with Mae West and Cary Grant at the very beginning of his career. It's a pleasant, albeit frivolous, comedy with Mae West in top form. The plot goes around in circles toward the end but the dialog is a treasure trove of one liners and some of West's most famous lines like "When I'm good, I'm good but when I'm bad, I'm better" come from the movie.
I know Golden Age classics are not for everyone but if you don't think "classics" are movies from the 1990ies, it's a good one to watch.

1 year ago

Larger Than Life (1996)

American road comedy film. It may not have the most amazing story but who cares? It's a road movie with Bill Murray and an elephant. What's not to like? It also has a very good supporting cast with Matthew McConaughey, Janeane Garofalo, Jeremy Piven, Keith David, Pat Hingle, Lois Smith and more. Overall it's a lighthearted, sweet comedy that I can definitely recommend.

1 year ago

Everything Everywhere All at Once.(2022) Beautiful, joyous and warm-heated film with a good philosophical framework anchored by wonderful performances and nuanced writing.

1 year ago

The Great Silence (1968)

Italian-French revisionist Spaghetti Western film. Nice cinematography, interesting characters but overall nothing I found particularly great. Sure, it's said to be one of the best Westerns ever but it just didn't click with me. I'm not really a fan of Westerns so that's probably why so if you like Westerns you might like this one.

1 year ago

McKinley at Home, Canton, Ohio (1896)

American documentary short film. It's about William McKinley, the 25th President of the United States of America. He was actually the first United States President on film. Apart from that it's not really any good, it's just him and his secretary George Cortelyou walking across the screen. It's only historically significant because of the little fact that this was the first US President on film. That's it. Overall I can't recommend this. (Just watching a short film today because it's my granny's 80th birthday and I don't have 2 hours time to be away from all that's going on.)

1 year ago

Watched John Wick: Chapter 4. Prefect movie for the franchise. The first 90 mins is a bit slow and less exciting. However, the last hour is amazing! Especially the Dragon's breath scene. Feels weird they are adding a lot of character development in the 4th film. Barely recognized Scott Adkins in the movie

1 year ago

A Beautiful Mind (2001)

American biographical drama film. It's a great movie with an incredible performance by Russell Crowe, but I don't need to tell you that. Everyone else has probably already watched this one. But if you haven't, I can only highly recommend this one!

1 year ago

Die Goldfische (2019)

German comedy film. Watched this yesterday. It's about a banker who, after an accident, is bound to a wheelchair. After finding out that his assets in a swiss bank are in danger he makes a plan to go across with his new friends from the disability center and smuggle the money out of the country. Very funny movie, good acting, overall definitely entertaining. Can recommend!

1 year ago

The Cavalier's Dream (1898)

American horror short film. It's 46 seconds long so reading this might even take longer than just watching the movie, but here it goes. We see a guy (the titular cavalier) sleeping on a table with nothing on it. A witch enters and walks up to the table. Then she disappears and suddenly there's a mountain of food on the previously bare table. Mephistopheles appears and then the old witch appears again as well. The cavalier walks up to her and she suddenly shapeshifts into a beautiful young woman. Our main character seems to be afraid and wants to get away but Mephistopheles appears in front of him every time and he seemingly has a new figure (probably another witch) with him each time. Then he's standing on the table and the figures/witches start to do a round dance around the cavalier and the table. Suddenly he wakes up to an empty table again. It was all a dream. Overall this is quite good for its time. With all those special effects aka (not so perfect) jump cuts. Still, for something that's under a minute long I can recommend it. (Also it was the debut film of Edwin S. Porter who of course would later cement his name in movie history with The Great Train Robbery (1903). So even if you just want to know where this giant of cinema was coming from, this is worth the watch.)

(Again just watching a short film today because my granny is celebrating her 80th birthday today with some extended relatives (friday was just us) and I definitely don't have the time to watch a full feature length movie today.)

1 year ago

Rumspringa (2022)

German comedy film. It's about a young Amish guy who travels to "the old country" aka Germany for his "Rumspringa", an Amish coming-of-age ceremony where they're sent out into the world to experience other stuff and find out if they really want to live like that. So we kinda have a culture shock story on our hands. Which is already fun to explore. But it's also deeper than expected. It pretty much ends up being about finding yourself, what's right for you, not letting your life be dictated by other people. Overall it's a good movie, maybe 10, 15 minutes too long but still very entertaining. Can recommend.

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

All of Me (1984)

American fantasy comedy film. Eccentric millionaire Edwina Cutwater (Lily Tomlin) is dying, but she has a plan. She hires a guru who can transfer her soul. For that she's already made an arrangement with Terry Hoskins (Victoria Tennant), a beautiful young woman. Attorney Roger Cobb (Steve Martin) is supposed to change Edwina's will so that Terry, as Edwina's future self, is her sole beneficiary. But then, through a series of unfortunate events, Edwina's soul ends up inside of Roger and together they need to find out how to undo the mistake. Overall it's a fun and entertaining little movie. Can recommend.

1 year ago

John Wick Chapter 4
it's good, a bit too much action, which doesn't sound too bad but it's actually tooo much.
Cinematography was great just like the other 3 movies, story was good, sound was great although extremely loud in my cinema, the gunshots hurt my ear.
I'd give this one an 8/10

1 year ago

HollyBlood (2022)

Spanish romantic horror comedy parody film. There's this new guy at this school who has a crush on this girl and since she's a big fan of vampires (HollyBlood is an in-universe Twilight knockoff btw) he thinks it's best to pretend he's a vampire to get her to like him. But then a real vampire appears. The rest of the movie is pretty cheesy and also pretty obvious. There are a few things I disliked, the main one being that after the main character made the ultimate sacrifice, for some reason he survived. That's just lazy writing. I get that this movie is parodying this exact thing but still. So overall this isn't the worst but also not the best. It's perfect if you want to shut off your brain for 90 minutes, though.

1 year ago

Willard (1971)

American horror film. It's about social misfit Willard Stiles, who is squeezed out of the company started by his deceased father. His only friends are a couple of rats raised at home, including Ben and Socrates, and their increasing number of friends. When Socrates is killed by Willard's boss, he goes on a rampage using his rats to attack. I personally wasn't a big fan of this because it didn't have a lot of scary scenes, but if you're afraid of rats you might think this is scary. Good cast (Bruce Davison, Elsa Lanchester, Ernest Borgnine and more) but overall I can't recommend this.

1 year ago

Constantine.

I never get tired of watching it.

1 year ago

This might make you happy then. It does me.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1071873/reference/

1 year ago

It certainly does. Finally we're getting a sequel. Thank the Gods for John Wick I guess.

1 year ago

I watch it every few months. Never get tired of it.
I know, I know, it's not "faithful" to the comics. You know what I found out? If it's good, I don't care.

1 year ago

Ben (1972)

American drama-thriller film. This is a sequel to Willard (1971), focusing on Willard's former pet rat named Ben who is now befriended by a lonely boy named Danny Garrison who has a severe heart condition. Overall it's just more of a same, so I can't really recommend it.

A fun little fact about this movie is that the theme song is sung by a young Michael Jackson.

1 year ago

Willard (2003)

American psychological horror film. This is one of those remakes that's better than the original. It has Crispin Glover in it and he can already act weird very well so he's a great fit for this. It's also darker than the original. The story is pretty much the same though so if you want to watch Willard watch this version. So overall I can recommend this one.

1 year ago

Murder Mystery 2 (2023)

American action comedy mystery film. The first one was probably the best whodunnit of 2019 (sure, it didn't have much competition but still) so I'm not surprised that this can't live up to it. But it's still very entertaining and a lot of fun. Can recommend!

1 year ago

Haunted Honeymoon (1986)

American comedy horror film. Very charming little horror comedy from, by and with Gene Wilder. Great supporting cast consisting of Gilda Radner, Dom DeLuise, Jonathan Pryce, Paul L. Smith, Peter Vaughan, Roger Ashton-Griffiths and more. Overall very entertaining and finding a good Gene Wilder movie you haven't seen yet is always nice. Can recommend!

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.