Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Puss in Boots: The Last Wish (2022)

American computer-animated adventure film. Much to my surprise, this one is really good. Didn't expect that at all, definitely not from a sequel of a spin-off of a franchise about an ogre. Great animation style, reminiscent of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018). Great characters (above all probably the Wolf who later turns out to be someone else entirely) voiced by a great cast (Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, Florence Pugh, Olivia Colman, John Mulaney, Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Wagner Moura, Ray Winstone and more). This is so much better than Puss in Boots (2011). It might actually be one of the best big-studio animated movies of the decade. Highly recommended!

So now I've watched all of the Best Animated Feature Film nominees and I still feel like Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio will surely win the Oscar but the magical Marcel the Shell with Shoes On and also this one could actually go for the upset. The other two don't have a chance imho but these three are really strong competitors.

1 year ago

Ebirah, Horror of the Deep.

Been feeling like some old school Godzilla movies and I forgot about this one.

Lots of fun. 7/10

1 year ago

Oh yeah, Ebirah is so much fun.

1 year ago

Land of the Dead - 6/10

1 year ago

Oh I LOVED that one. I actually saw that in the theaters.

1 year ago

i did too, my teenager mind was blown when zombies crossed the water :D

1 year ago

The Quiet Girl (2022)

Irish coming-of-age drama film. It's about a withdrawn young girl who experiences a loving home for the first time when she spends the summer with distant relatives. She's from a big family where nobody really pays her much attention, apart from when she runs away as she does. The relatives they send her to are wife and husband who lost their own child who have love to spare. At first she's hesitant but she opens up to them.
Feels like a very personal time set during a specific time in a very specific part of the world, in this case early 80's rural Ireland. Definitely a slow burner but that's on purpose. And the performances are great, especially by child actor Catherine Clinch, who played the main character. Overall, this might not be for everyone but I enjoyed it. And it was almost completely in Gaelic so that's a first for me.

1 year ago

The Lost Boys - 7/10

1 year ago

La Table (2017)

French animated comedy short film. So yesterday I was at that indie arthouse cinema again and this is the short film they played this time. It's about a perfectionist woodworker who just has to plane off that last little imperfection from the table he's making but while he's in his toolcase some things happen. It's funny, doesn't have any dialogue so it doesn't matter wether you speak french or not and is overall just a cute little short film. Can recommend.
Also, you can watch it on Vimeo so if you wanna check it out, there it is.

1 year ago*

Umami (2022)

French-Japanese comedy drama film. Watched this yesterday at that indie arthouse cinema I go to sometimes. It's about a famous french chef who's getting older and after a heart attack he's rethinking things. So he comes to the conclusion that he needs to find out the mysteries behind umami, the "secret fifth flavour" because 40 years ago a japanese chef won with against him in a cooking competition with "just a bowl of noodles" so he decides he should travel to Japan to find that man. This was a very good feel-good movie with some nice culture clash moments because most of the french characters don't speak japanese and most of the japanese characters don't speak french so it feels pretty authentic (you don't just travel to a foreign country, only speak your own language and everyone will understand you, that's not how that works). Overall I can recommend it.

1 year ago

Mrs. 'Arris Goes to Paris (1992)

British-French comedy-drama film. Very delightful story about a working class woman who falls so in love with a Dior dress that she saves every penny until she can travel to Paris and buy one. Great cast (Angela Lansbury, Omar Sharif, Diana Rigg and more). Angela Lansbury's Mrs. Harris is just such a lovely, kind woman who wants the best for everyone around her. Let's see tomorrow how the new adaptation compares to this one. I doubt it will be as charming as this one. Can definitely recommend.

And a little fun fact: This, being a TV movie, was nominated for an Emmy for Best Costume Design or whatever their equivalent is. And the new one was also nominated for that same category at the Oscars. I mean those dresses do look very authentic.

1 year ago*

Infinity Pool - 6/10

1 year ago

Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris (2022)

British-French historical comedy-drama film. No surprise this is nominated for an Oscar for Best Costume Design, the dresses are pretty much the only good thing about this one. It looks and feels way too disneyfied. Sure, it looks better than the version from 1992 but it just feels so fake. The 1992 version has so much charme that this one hasn't. This one's just so saccharine, and not in a good way. I also thought the ending was kinda weird, being so different from the 1992 version's ending. And Angela Lansbury, Omar Sharif and Diana Rigg were just better actors than Lesley Manville, Lambert Wilson and Isabelle Huppert. Overall, after watching the '92 version, I can't recommend this. But on its own it might still be a good movie.

1 year ago

#Alive. Korean zombie movie from 2020.

This movie was REALLY good.

You know, I'm getting rather impressed by the way Koreans do their zombie movies and shows. They are REALLY good and this movie was one of them.

It even has Jeon Bae-soo from their EXCELLENT All of Us Are Dead show, which I can not WAIT for season 2.

8/10

1 year ago

Empire of Light (2022)

British romantic drama film. It's a very human-focused movie set at a cinema in a British seaside town in the early '80s. Looks great, so the Oscar nomination for Best Cinematography is definitely warranted. Amazing performance by Olivia Colman and the rest of the cast. Overall I can recommend this one.

1 year ago

Wir sind die Neuen (2014)

Germany comedy film. Watched this yesterday. It's about three friends in their 60s moving back in together. Quite fun, can recommend.

1 year ago

babylon (2022 or 2023) brad pitt, margot robbie, spiderman... a very good movie, if you like this kind of art at all.

1 year ago

Fire of Love (2022)

American-Canadian documentary film. It's fascinating and the footage they've been able to capture of all those erupting volcanoes was incredible. I'm not really a big fan of that half-whispery narration by Miranda July, though. But overall this is still a very good documentary.

1 year ago

The assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford (2007). Man It's been a while since I watched this one. This movie is all about emotions, Brad Pitt and Cassey Affleck did an amazing job with that. Great cast and writing, a different way to portrait the wild west.

1 year ago

Drifting Home 2022

A coming of age anime about friendship and loss.

VERY well done. An excellent movie to watch, but be warned, You WILL need a few boxes of tissues. This was touching even to MY cold heart of stone.

8/10 A MUST watch.

1 year ago

I started watching this but didn't finish. Totally ok, but now that i canceled Netflix i don't think i will finish it ATM. Maybe some time in the future.

1 year ago

Voces

Spanish horror movie, but takes place in France i think. Pretty decent, 7/10. Nothing too suprising though, just a good decently scary horror.

Avaliable on Netflix

1 year ago

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)

American superhero film. Watched this at the cinema yesterday. It's kinda weird, but I like weird. We get to see some wacky new characters (for example M.O.D.O.K. and Veb) and there are some funny scenes in there as well. So overall I'd say it's a fun popcorn movie but that's about it.

1 year ago

Enjoyed it as well!

1 year ago

The Red Suitcase (2022)

Luxembourgish short drama film. Extremely suspenseful for being 18 minutes long (or just under 16 minutes if you don't count the end credits). It's about a 16 year old Iranian girl arriving at Luxembourg International Airport with her red suitcase because her father sent her there so she could get married to a much older guy. She overhears him talking to her father on the phone, angry because he can't find her, so she removes her hijab and sneaks out of the terminal and onto a bus hoping she can escape. Lots of suspense, like I already mentioned. You can watch it for free on Youtube, so if you're interested at all please check it out for yourself.

1 year ago

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - 6/10

1 year ago

Ivalu (2023)

Danish short drama film. Our main character is searching for her sister. It seems kinda vague at first but the more you get into the story the more obvious it gets. If you're still confused after watching try reading the description of the graphic novel this is based on (Ivalu is a story from remote Greenland about sexual abuse and suicide among children and young adults.) and you'll understand. It's a tragic story set in beautiful scenery in Greenland. Can recommend.

1 year ago

An Irish Goodbye (2021)

Irish-British comedy drama short film. Two brothers, one with Down Syndrome, set about to fulfil their mother's bucket list with her ashes before they will sell off the family farm. It's a very touching short film that combines funny and sad very well. And it has good acting, too. Highly recommended.

So now that I've watched all the nominees for Best Live Action Short Film for this year's Oscars I can share my thoughts on them. There's not a single one where I think "I hope this doesn't win", they're all very good. But I feel like Le pupille (2022) might win, even just because it's the most widely available. It's on Disney+ after all. And it has Alfonso Cuarón as a producer and given that he has received 11 Oscar nominations (winning four of them) he's kind of an Oscar darling. Or maybe they'll give it to this one. Or any of the others. Like I said, there's not a single one that wouldn't deserve it.

1 year ago

Ice Merchants (2022)

Portuguese-British-French animated short drama film. Beautiful animation, simple yet impactful story told without dialogue. Highly recommended.

So with this I've completed the Best Animated Short Film category. I still think The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse is gonna win and An Ostrich Told Me the World Is Fake and I Think I Believe It is still my favourite of the bunch, simply because I like how meta it is. But I feel like this one also has an off chance at winning.

1 year ago

Aquarium of the Dead

Another Asylum movie and I can be happy with that as I liked a lot of their work.

This one was nice and entertaining with a hilarious nod to Sharknado tossed in.

5/10

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.