Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Ice Carosello (2010)

Swedish documentary short film. Yesterday I was watching a movie at that indie arthouse cinema again and this is the short film they played this time. It's about some guys making an ice carousel. That's about it.

1 year ago

Till (2022)

American-British biographical drama film. Watched this yesterday at that indie arthouse cinema I go to sometimes. It's about Emmett Till's murder and his mother trying to have those involved brought to justice afterwards. Danielle Deadwyler definitely would've deserved an Oscar nomination for her performance, I understand now why people said she was snubbed because she definitely was. The movie itself looked pretty good, they definitely paid a lot of attention to costumes and set design. At some points I thought they wouldn't show Emmett Till's mutilated corpse which would've missed the whole point of the story because it was all about everyone seeing what those people did to him. But when they showed it it was quite graphic but also respectfully done. After the movie is over we are reminded that the Emmett Till Antilynching Act which made lynching a federal hate crime was only signed into law less than a year ago on March 29, 2022. That's 67 years after the events we've just seen in the movie.
Emmett Till would be 82 this year. That's the same age as Bernie Sanders, Bob Dylan, Hayao Miyazaki, Faye Dunaway, Chubby Checker, Art Garfunkel...
Overall I can definitely recommend this movie. We should not forget about events like this.

1 year ago

We should not forget about events like this.

Sadly far too many have.

1 year ago

How Do You Measure a Year? (2021)

American short documentary film. Second consecutive Oscar nomination for Jay Rosenblatt after When We Were Bullies (2021). In this one he filmed his daughter and asked her a few questions; each year from when she was 2 until she turned 18. It's fascinating seeing her grow up in the timespan of less than 30 minutes, seeing her values change and this toddler mature into a young woman. Can recommend.

And with this one I've finished this year's Best Documentary Short Film category. I feel like The Martha Mitchell Effect or Stranger at the Gate will win.

1 year ago

La grande bellezza - 8/10

1 year ago

Knock at the Cabin - I don't get this one. It has potential, but it's all wasted because it just has nothing to say. It's a joke without a punchline. And I can't figure out how people think Dave Bautista is a good actor. The performances from the rest of the cast, especially the family, make this movie not completely unbearable. It was nice to see Jonathan Groff at something other than The Matrix Resurrections, in which he was a highlight. 5/10

1 year ago

The Whale - 7/10

1 year ago

Au Hasard Balthazar (1966)

French-Swedish tragedy film. It's about a donkey who's being given from one owner to the next, most of whom mistreat him. But it's also about the humans. Overall it's a very profound movie and a fascinating experience. Definitely recommended!

1 year ago

Knock at the Cabin - 6/10

1 year ago

Das weiße Band - Eine deutsche Kindergeschichte - 7/10

1 year ago

EO (2022)

Polish drama film. It's very similar to Au Hasard Balthazer (1966), although not a direct remake. It's just also about a donkey who's being mistreated and the various people around it. And while Au Hasard Balthazar (1966) was much more focused on the people, this one's undeniably more focused on the donkey. Overall this one was surprisingly good. And on top of it all, it's also very entertaining. Highly recommended.

So with this I've also completed the Best International Feature Film category. All Quiet on the Western Front is still my favourite and most probably the movie that's gonna take this category. Second on my list would actually be EO, that's how good this one was. It overtook Argentina, 1985 for me, which is now in the third spot. And then we got The Quiet Girl and Close. Don't get me wrong, they're all still very good movies and you should watch all of them if you can.
Warcraft (2016)

American action fantasy film. Rewatched this on the 25th but forgot to write it down here. Still good.

1 year ago*

SCREAM that came late 2022

1 year ago

Tremors: Shrieker Island

Well, now I can say that I've seen them all. This one wasn't that bad either.

Sad ending, though.

6/10

1 year ago

Wait, they made another one? Last time I watched the whole thing was when the sixth one just came out.

1 year ago

Yeah, but I think it might be the final one. It's on Netflx if you have it.

1 year ago

It's not on german Netflix, sadly. But it's available on other streaming platforms here.

1 year ago

Tell It Like a Woman (2022)

American–Italian comedy drama whatever anthology film. (Anthology films are hard to categorize if they're not all in one genre.) This is made up of 7 segments, most of them kinda bad, some of them okay, who's only connection is that they are about women. For the segments that are based on real events those events would've deserved to be made into documentary shorts and not badly adapted into something like this. Overall this is barely a movie and if it wasn't nominated for an Oscar I never would've watched it. And speaking about the Oscar nomination... it was nominated for Best Song. Another pretty bad movie being nominated for a boring Diane Warren song. How surprising. For the few years I've been actively trying to watch all the Oscar nominees she's always been nominated. Last year it was Four Good Days (2020) which was okay but nobody has watched it, the year before it was The Life Ahead (2020) which was actually a very good movie but the only time we hear the song she was nominated for was during the end credits. How does that even count? The year before that was Breakthrough (2019) which was not only horrible christian propaganda but also just a bad movie. And before that it was RGB (2018) and yet again the song was only during the end credits. I have no idea how Diane Warren is still getting nominated. And I feel like this "movie" was only made for her to slap on some lame song so that it can be nominated for an Oscar. Can you tell I'm not a fan of her? I don't even wanna start at how badly this song is written. So yeah, keep away from this. I'm kinda upset that I had to sit through this. I highly recommend you to NOT watch this.

And with this I've completed the Best Song category. Literally anything other than this can win and I'll be happy. RRR's Naatu Naatu would make me the happiest, though.

1 year ago*

Train to Busan

People have been telling me for a long time that I MUST watch this.

Now I understand why. The movie was excellent, with a sad ending.

8/10

1 year ago

Zombie Massacre

I love bad movies. But this one was pretty bad in itself. Didn't know that Uwe Boll had a hand in it until I saw his name on it as producer.

One of the worst directors around.

3/10

1 year ago

Roma - 7/10

1 year ago

Hello there, nice forum you got here.
Last movie I saw was Army of Thieves (2021) on Netflix. I'd rate it 6/10.
It's supposedly a prequel to Army of the Dead which I plan to watch soon.

1 year ago

A House Made of Splinters (2022)

Ukranian-Swedish-Danish-Finnish documentary film. It's about the children in a Ukranian institution for children who have been removed from their homes while awaiting court custody decisions. The staff do their best to make the time children have there safe and supportive. Some of the children share their experiences and talk about their lives. Poverty, violence, addiction and corruption. But we also get to see joy and friendship between the kids.

I still have one Documentary Feature nominee to go but so far they've all been very good.

1 year ago

American epic science fiction film. It is quite a spectacle. Looks great, interesting story and it's good enough for what it is. That's pretty much the same thing I thought about the original when that came out. Let's hope we don't have to wait so long for the next sequel. Can recommend.

1 year ago

Road to Perdition (2002). I don't know how many times I've seen this film, cast, soundtrack and photograph is amazing, It has a big message despite the scenario, not that everybody would agree with, but It's one of those films you can't skip imo.

1 year ago

All the Beauty and the Bloodshed (2022)

American documentary film. It's about the life and work of American photographer and activist Nan Goldin. It's quite fascinating if you know nothing about her and probably the same if you do know about her. Can recommend.

So with this I completed the Best Documentary Feature category. This one feels a lot more like a traditional documentary than the other nominees. I'm still rooting for Navalny over the rest.

1 year ago

Un prophète - 7/10

1 year ago

The Whale (2022)

American psychological drama film. It's a single location movie and some of you might know how much I like those. It's set in our main characters apartment. A tearjerker with an incredible performance by Brendan Fraser! Great performances by the other cast members as well but Brendan Fraser outshines everyone else. I still have Bill Nighy's Living to watch for Best Actor but right now I think Fraser should win, even though the other nominees were amazing too. Overall I can highly recommend this movie!

With this I completed Best Supporting Actress (which is very hard to predict this year so I'm not even gonna try) and Best Makeup and Hairstyling (which is also pretty hard to predict.)

1 year ago*

Minority Report - 7/10

1 year ago

Living (2022)

British drama film. It's adapted from Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru (1952), which, when in May 2020 I watched a week full of 1952 movies (because that was the only year in movie history that I hadn't watched a movie from for whatever reason), turned out to be my favourite of the bunch. Not my favourite Kurosawa but still a masterpiece. So this new adaptation had a lot to live up to. And it hasn't beaten the original. The acting is great, especially Bill Nighy's fantastic performance (he definitely deserves that Best Actor nomination) and the story has been adapted to 1953 London and even looks and feels (and is edited) like a movie from the 50s. But it can't beat Ikiru (1952). Still, it's a very good remake and definitely a more grown-up movie than most of the other nominees, which might be your thing or might not be. I enjoyed it. Can recommend!

With this I finished the Best Actor category (despite Bill Nighy's performance I still think it'll go to Brendan Fraser) and I only need to watch one more movie (which I will watch at the cinema on wednesday) to finish the whole thing.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.