UPDATE:

Wow! Well over NINE HUNDRED people played the dungeon! That's a lot more than I expected! Thank you to all of the players and key-givers for helping make this a successful event! And, as always, a big thanks to SErVER51 for creating the Dungeon Sandbox that makes things like this possible. 😎

I will be handling the bonus Easter Egg GA later today. I'm still determining some options. I'll update this thread with more info very soon, and will post the winner here as well as ping them in one of their own GA threads to ensure that they see it. If the winner doesn't respond in 48 hours, I move on to a second one, and so forth until the prize is claimed.

Misiu! Congrats! You're the Easter Egg GA winner!

Update: Misiu got back to me and selected her prize from the list! Congrats again!

Running stats:

• Number of people who have entered the dungeon: 922 (Wow!)
  • Number of people who have completed the dungeon: 287
  • Number of people who have found 100% of the treasure: 164 (SErVER51 upgraded the leaderboard! Thanks!!!)
  • Number of verified people who have found the Easter Egg: 187

All right, all of you smartasses (I have been laughing my butt off at all of the "placeholder" commentary...y'all are hilarious), the time is finally here. Welcome to...

Grez's Halloween 2019 Dungeon Adventure!

That's right, instead of a regular ol' train, you get to play an adventure game created with SErVER51's Dungeon Sandbox! As you play through the adventure, you'll find treasure chests with loot that will link you to invite-only SteamGifts GAs.

I had done a similar event earlier (back in February of this year), and learned a lot from it. So, I really pulled out the stops on this one and put in as much content as I could before my deadline hit. Some quick notes:

• Roughly 35 NPCs with which to interact
  • Over 400 individual graphics (many of them custom) were used in its construction
  • Fun sound effects from time to time - make sure that you have your speakers/headphones on!
  • Several cases where accessibility to the next part of the dungeon is plot/action-dependent
  • There is an Easter Egg in the dungeon (bonus GA -- see details at bottom of thread)
  • Almost double the surface area of the previous dungeon; max grid size is 100X100, and while I didn't use all of it, I did use most of it πŸ€“
  • Approximately 10X the number of events compared to the previous dungeon
  • Over 350 hours of development & resource acquisition time

Here's how it works

• You must be at least level 1 to participate in the GAs (but you can play the dungeon if you'd like no matter what your level). Don't complain, buster -- that's a pretty low bar. I want as many people as possible to be able to play, but also want to filter out the tendency for unregistered wins. Ain't nobody got time for that.
  • There are GAs scattered through the dungeon, and they are all in treasure chests
  • You need to explore the dungeon to find them all
  • Some parts of the dungeon (most of them, actually) are only accessible by finding keys to unlock doors, switches to raise gates or activate portals, objects to give to NPCs, or riddles to solve
  • The deeper you explore in the dungeon, the better the GAs become
  • This time around, all GAs will be listed as treasures, so you'll know if you found them all
  • Spoiler alert: there is a final treasure room, and almost 50% of the GAs are in there! It's a virtual orgy of treasure! It's your reward for having solved the entire adventure, so stick with it...there's some pretty good stuff in there!

There are 121 GAs in total throughout the dungeon. As mentioned earlier, the more obstacles you pass, the better on average that the GAs become. Don't exit the dungeon (via the exit portal -- it's obvious and looks different from the regular portals) if you are still looking for treasures! Once you exit, you'll get your current stats, and to re-enter, you'll have to start at the beginning (that's just how the Dungeon Sandbox works). Speaking of treasures, I want to thank some people. I provided 96 GAs (originally, it was 85, but I got crazy last night to make the treasure room look like I wanted and bought a few more πŸ˜†), which means that 25 of the GAs in here were graciously donated by other people. A big "thank you" to D3D (DripleD), seNs, Hiro, nazamout, c_e_e_b_e_r_s, and B{+}mbakl@ts for their contributions to the event!

The GAs will run for three weeks, meaning that they end mid-day on November 1st (All Hallow's Day), US Central time. That will give you lots of time to complete the adventure and just enjoy it without feeling rushed. I'll leave the dungeon open after the GAs are done in case anyone wants to continue exploring or use it for ideas for their own event.

Advice

• Step on every square of every room -- the automap only adds tiles for square you've actually stood upon, not everything you see, so if you want an accurate map (and I have this dungeon pretty well intertwined, so believe me that having an accurate map will help), you need to run around the entire room when you enter one. You can't die, so there's no danger in cruising quickly through the whole room.
  • Talk to every character (by clicking on them)! You can't die, so you can do this without fear. Most characters want something from you in return for giving you something else, pressing a hidden switch/button, or moving out of your way. They will always tell you what they want if you speak to them.
  • Doors show up as gaps on the map -- this can be kind of confusing, but based upon how doors work, they create a blank square on the map in between the two areas that they connect. Keep this in mind when you're examining your map and trying to determine which way to go.
  • Sign in through Steam -- you can play anonymously, but if you want your progress to be saved (and the dungeon's pretty big, so let me tell you that, yes, this is something you definitely want to do), you'll need to be signed in
  • This dungeon is much more complex than my last one, so give yourself plenty of time to go through the whole thing -- nothing in here is very complicated, but there's quite a bit of ground to cover, so be ready to invest some time to get to the best GAs. I did a full end-to-end speed run the night before launch, and it took me just over an hour to complete, even knowing all of the locations and puzzles. Estimated time for the average player is about 3-4 hours, but remember that you can leave and continue later (if you've registered and signed in through Steam).
  • Leave no stone unturned -- I didn't put in any completely useless mazes or anything like that. So, be sure to go down every hallway and into every room...sometimes that annoying, windy, seems-to-go-nowhere passage has a GA at the end of it. Look at every wall.
  • Consider making your own paper map -- you may want to dig out the graph paper and make your own map so that you can make notes as to where NPCs, portals, etc., are located.

Disclaimers and stuff

• This isn't my tool, I just used it to create the dungeon, so if it goes down or something, please let me know (and I'll tell SErVER51), but also understand that there's nothing I can do about it
  • As always, I'm totally open to suggestions...but also don't be a douchebag if you don't find it fun. Making this stuff is a lot of work, and if you think you can create something better, then awesome, I would genuinely love to see it and learn from it. But anyone acting like a tool will get banned from the dungeon.
  • You must explore the dungeon to enter the GAs. Do not share links with friends. Anyone involved in a leak (I'm only mentioning this because a couple of friends' events had this problem lately), either giving or receiving links to GAs will be treated like the cheater they are and blacklisted for life.
  • It IS ok, however, to discuss puzzles or the maze with friends if you or they are stuck. But everyone needs to find the GAs by playing the game.
  • Most of the keys came from HB, IG, or Fanatical and should all be good. One or two came from Otaku and we all know the drama that happened there. If that happens, please agree ahead of time to delete the GA in that scenario. But don't worry, I will give you some kind of consolation prize worth the same amount as the game in the GA (you'll likely have your pick of several options). I never leave anyone hanging. πŸ‘ŒπŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
  • A million thanks for SErVER51 for creating something cool like this so that the community here at SG has yet another option to do something creative, different, and fun. πŸ’₯🍻
  • Ok, I think that covers it. Enough of my wordiness. It's time for you to ENTER THE DUNGEON.

Have fun, and good luck❗

Easter Egg Bonus GA

So, I got a little crazy at the last minute and decided to add an Easter Egg to the dungeon. Trust me, you'll know it when you find it. How do you find it, you may ask? Well, remember my commentary above about not liking useless hallways that go nowhere, etc. There may or may not be an old-school hidden room behind a clickable or penetrable wall. But if it looks like there should be something there but there isn't...well, you should start checking closely.

When you find the Easter egg, take a screen shot and save it! You can save your screen shots to a shareable folder I made on my OneDrive here. Please format the name as "YourSGName_EESS." I'll be checking file size, time stamps, etc., so no fair sending a screen shot for a friend to use. Let's make this fair and honest. After the event is done, I will use a random number generator against the list of people that found the Easter Egg to do a special bonus GA for that select group! I don't even know what the GA is yet, but it will be something pretty decent.

Note: there were some concerns about the OneDrive shared folder and being able to view people's details in the file attributes and link this back to their SG id (since it's part of the file name). That's the way that file sharing works (because you have to be able to tell if someone else has edited your file, etc.) and in fact all major file sharing that provides folders (like Dropbox, etc.) works like this. But, I totally get the concern, so I've created a private folder and am only using the shared folder for uploads. As the files come in, I'm moving them to the private folder so that no one can look at the file attributes of anyone else's screen shot.

Best of luck finding the Easter Egg!

Trivia

• The Creepy Art Gallery contains 42 unique pieces of art, as well as three sculptures
  • The Doll House has 15 unique pieces of wall art
  • Over 250 of the >400 graphics used in the game were manually compressed to reduce the resource load
  • All custom graphics were created and/or edited with either (or both) MSPaint and Powerpoint
  • Each of the thousands of objects in the dungeon (e.g., NPC, wall torch, creepy fog, etc.) was placed individually and manually scaled/rotated/etc.
  • Keeping track of all of the dependencies (e.g., what object works with which NPC) and associations (e.g., which GA goes into which chest and where it's located) for the adventure required an Excel spreadsheet and eight sheets of notes
  • Edge was used almost exclusively as the browser during creation; this was to ensure that when obtaining png graphics, they would be saved in their native format and not be converted to webp (which happens frequently in Chrome). Consequently, I also used bing as my search engine, and racked up almost 600 bing Rewards points while searching for graphics for the game. :D

P.S. Be sure to check the comments in the GAs for chances at additional games! Dys has added bonus GAs to every GA outside of the treasure room! That's 61 additional GAs!

View attached image.
4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Bump

I think I wasted half an hour or so running in circles in the dark room trying to find a way to get past those 2 dark squares and reach that pile of bones before I figured out that it's probably another unreachable area like the ones behind bars or pits in the earlier stages.

I had everything I needed to finish, but for some reason I thought that one of the clowns is blocked by another one and a table. In the end I tried to finish them in the wrong order and kept looking for Chandler in the dark room

Thanks for another nice dungeon!

4 years ago

:D Well, there are worse things that could have happened. I was going to try something tricky with that pile of bones, and just based upon how the Dungeon Sandbox engine works, it just wasn't going to look or function the way that I wanted it to. But I thought the bones were cool, so I left them in there just for effect/aesthetics. :)

Congrats on finishing everything!

4 years ago

This is hilarious. Butt-face spider thing? XD
"Yeah, I know, I'm disturbing to look at. That's what I get for responding to that ad in the paper. I just wanted to make some quick money...I didn't think that the experiment would turn me into THIS. Now look at me! My face is upside down and where my butt should be. Aargh. Anyway, being a spider thing, I now have to eat bugs, but they're hard for me to find since my head is upside down. Can you hook me up? I'm hungry, and haven't eaten for days."

Now I'm stuck on the bloody password, though.

4 years ago*

Read through the comments on this thread. There are a bunch of hints on how/where to find the password. :)

4 years ago

This is fantastic. Only just started, but thanks for all the work on this!!!

4 years ago

You're welcome! Have fun, and good luck...

4 years ago

Man I got 119 Boxes with GAs
Did I miss anything?
But even if I did, I don't think I would find it, as this dungeon is way too big
thanks a lot for the fun ;)

4 years ago

You're welcome, and congrats on a good run! There are 121 total, so you only missed two. And honestly, most of the best items are in the final treasure room. If you really want to figure out what you missed, you can hit me up on Steam IM and I'll post a list of all of the games in the dungeon, and you can see which ones you don't have a link for.

4 years ago

Yeah, I made it
123 on 121 treasures? O_o but i didn't find the easter egg :(

4 years ago

Yeah, the 123 is from me fixing a bug where in two locations, a transported object would "stomp" on a chest. So, I had to relocate the chests, which means deleting and recreating them, as there is no move functionality in the Dungeon Sandbox. For people already playing that had grabbed those chests, they could come back later and also open the newly created ones, which resulted in an above-maximum score. SErVER is going to try to work on fixing the data on the back end. :)

Congrats on a great run! Also, the Easter Egg is pretty close to the beginning, so if you want to go back and look for it, it's not like you have to do the whole adventure over or anything. :)

4 years ago

I did as you said and...Easter Egg found :D

4 years ago

Half done bump :)

4 years ago

Bump!

4 years ago

I managed to find 120 of them. No idea what the easter egg would have looked like had I found it. There was one lever that was password protected across from a zombie that wanted an item and I wasn't sure what that went to. If that was 121 then I missed it in the large confusing area at the end. I had alot of fun, just wish the map system would let you zoom out or place marks on it.

Thanks for all the hard work.

4 years ago

Well hey, 120 out of 121 is a pretty dang good run! Congrats on completing the adventure!

I totally agree about the mini map. Just keep in mind that I don't have any control over that...it's built into the Dungeon Sandbox. SErVER51, who is the creator of the Dungeon Sandbox, also knows that it has issues. He's actually mostly done with a large update that will make the mini map better, but it's been on the backburner for a while (because he has, you know, a real life and a job and everything :D). But I think this dungeon has inspired him to get back to it and get it implemented, so we may see a big improvement in the near future some time. I send the poor guy enhancement requests all of the time, and he's very patient and listens to all of them, but of course has to pick and choose what he has the time and capabilities to implement.

4 years ago

Thanks for the dungeon.
I'm stuck at level 1,have a suspision that my brower don't load the dungeon completely.All I can see are one lever,three doors and three iron gates.The rest of level 1 is in darkness.I could't see the treasure chests,got the items accidentally as walking along.
Is this normal?

4 years ago

Which browser do you use?

4 years ago

chrome,firefox,360.

4 years ago

I did testing in both Chrome and Edge...both worked great.

If this is behaving the same way in multiple browsers then it's definitely a different issue.

4 years ago

Nope, not normal at all. I haven't heard of this from anyone else. I have had one person who had total blackness, but that was because in their country, Imgur is blocked (and that's where all of the graphics are hosted). They fired up a VPN and then everything was ok. :) Do you have a private VPN? Maybe try that?

4 years ago

That’s it.Imgur is blocked here too.I only have a VPN on ipad,but this dungeon doesn't work on it.
Thanks for your reply.

4 years ago

Hey, I have an idea. Windscribe has a free version. I actually have a paid subscription, but just remembered that I did the free version for a couple of months to try it out before I signed up. You can transfer up to 10Gb per month for free with those guys. That should be waaaaaayyyyy more than enough to play the dungeon. Sign up for a free account with them, and you should be good to go. πŸ‘πŸ»

4 years ago

121 bump!

4 years ago

Thanks for the nice adventure. 121/121
Bump

4 years ago

You're welcome! Congrats on the 100%!

4 years ago

Bump for finished with all the gifts. Thank you for the event. I wandered through the entire darkroom hoping one of the switches was the light switch, lol. How will we know when the Easter egg giveaway will be open? Do we just check your profile regularly?

4 years ago

Hey, great question. I'm planning on doing the Easter Egg giveaway on November 1st or 2nd, most likely. I will update the discussion thread for this event with the winner. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ˜Ž

4 years ago

Hmmm, why can't I pick up the spider?

For now, I take it, I don't need it.

4 years ago

Yep, it's just decoration. I tried to put a few things in the Black Room to help you get your bearings when you are lost. :)

4 years ago

Yay I did it better than those #166 and #165 losers

4 years ago

This was fun and frustrating too!

Missed 5 chests and the Easter Egg :/

Don't know if it is worthwhile to start looking for the Easter Egg, and of course don't know where.

4 years ago

Congrats!

The Easter Egg can be found near the beginning, so you don't have to do the entire adventure over or anything. Remember my comment about not designing in useless hallways...that should give you a good hint as to where it is. :)

4 years ago

Bump!

View attached image.
4 years ago

Hmm, I'm stuck right now trying to find the Voodoo Lady. (Maybe I am just going about this all wrong?)

4 years ago

Well, if you've already opened up the beginning of the Psyche Ward and talked to Doc Chop-Chop, then there is a new hallway that has opened up and will give you access to the VooDoo lady. It's not very far from the entrance to the Psyche Ward, so look around there. :)

4 years ago

Aha!

Thank you for the hint!

I realize now that this is a "backtracking"-type dungeon, very different from your previous dungeons that I have played!

4 years ago

Bumping this nice event :)

4 years ago

SPOOKY BUMP!

Thank you so much for the dungeon (and all the GAs!)

Got all of them minus the Easter Egg, I might get back for it if I have time.

(sorry I was sick so forgot the bump)

4 years ago

Lol, don't worry about the bump. Glad you're feeling better and that you made it through the whole thing! If you decide to go back for the Easter Egg, just know that you can find it fairly close to the beginning, so it's not like you have to redo the whole dungeon or anything.

4 years ago

well, I decided to go back and find it... and I did.
(went back to the exit without changing the music back again.. as a kind of victory lap hehe)
Now to upload that screenshot.

4 years ago

so apparently it supposed to be uploaded but I don't see it in the folder even after refreshing a few times.
Let me know if you don't see it.

4 years ago

Hmmmm...I'm not seeing it. Did you name it djburno2000_EESS? Give it another try. If that doesn't work, attach it to an IM and I'll throw it in the folder for you.

4 years ago

yes, named correctly. Will try again.

4 years ago

Ok, went with Edge and it went through this time

4 years ago

Good news, I see it this time. Must've just been the interwebs glitching out earlier. :D

You're all good to go πŸ‘πŸ»

4 years ago

🀘🏻😁🀘🏻

4 years ago

Let me bump this before I enter because I don't know when I'll go out

4 years ago

And where

4 years ago

I am close to the end and could not find more than two special items

for the clowns in the dark room.
The axe wielding clown(asking for stain-remover) and Ted swearing (again) are left as well as the guard for the art room.
The only thing left in my inventory are the keys for the medical ward doors.

4 years ago

Well, you can't get the stain remover until you can get into the art gallery. And you can't get into the art gallery (i.e., get past the guard) until you have a ticket. So, a little-more-than-a-hint here is: you need to spend some time exploring the Black Room. :)

Also, what do you mean by "special items?" Are you talking about the treasures that you get from the chests? If you're that far along and really only have two, then you've left a LOT back in the previous parts of the dungeon. I'm just guestimating here, but you should have a minimum of about 40 treasures by the time you get to this point in the adventure if you've been picking them up as you go.

4 years ago

First thank you for the information about the paint remover. I have been in the black room for a very long time walking around it three or four times times, but I could not find anything new.
Edit: Found the ticket :D

Don't worry about the treasures, I have found more than 50. No, I meant quest items which you have to give to the NPCs.

4 years ago*

Ah, gotcha. Well, you've definitely found a lot more than two if you've gotten this far. 😁 But now I'm also assuming that you were saying that you only had two items left in your inventory while you were looking for that ticket. Hopefully, you're properly unstuck now -- you're very close to the finish if you haven't gotten there already by the time that I'm writing this. :)

Good luck!

4 years ago

I finally finished. Thank you so much Grez for another outstanding puzzle! I found 120/121 so I missed one somewhere. I also couldn't find the easter egg but I had a great time anyway.

4 years ago

Awesome! Glad that you liked it! If you decide to go back for the Easter Egg, it's pretty close to the beginning, so it's not like you have to re-do the entire adventure or anything. Remember what I wrote in the main thread about not liking to create useless hallways...that should help you find it. :)

4 years ago

Bump

4 years ago

THANKS! :D
Bump~

4 years ago

121 Thank You! :)

4 years ago

Great run! Congrats, and you're welcome. :)

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.