UPDATE:

Wow! Well over NINE HUNDRED people played the dungeon! That's a lot more than I expected! Thank you to all of the players and key-givers for helping make this a successful event! And, as always, a big thanks to SErVER51 for creating the Dungeon Sandbox that makes things like this possible. 😎

I will be handling the bonus Easter Egg GA later today. I'm still determining some options. I'll update this thread with more info very soon, and will post the winner here as well as ping them in one of their own GA threads to ensure that they see it. If the winner doesn't respond in 48 hours, I move on to a second one, and so forth until the prize is claimed.

Misiu! Congrats! You're the Easter Egg GA winner!

Update: Misiu got back to me and selected her prize from the list! Congrats again!

Running stats:

• Number of people who have entered the dungeon: 922 (Wow!)
  • Number of people who have completed the dungeon: 287
  • Number of people who have found 100% of the treasure: 164 (SErVER51 upgraded the leaderboard! Thanks!!!)
  • Number of verified people who have found the Easter Egg: 187

All right, all of you smartasses (I have been laughing my butt off at all of the "placeholder" commentary...y'all are hilarious), the time is finally here. Welcome to...

Grez's Halloween 2019 Dungeon Adventure!

That's right, instead of a regular ol' train, you get to play an adventure game created with SErVER51's Dungeon Sandbox! As you play through the adventure, you'll find treasure chests with loot that will link you to invite-only SteamGifts GAs.

I had done a similar event earlier (back in February of this year), and learned a lot from it. So, I really pulled out the stops on this one and put in as much content as I could before my deadline hit. Some quick notes:

• Roughly 35 NPCs with which to interact
  • Over 400 individual graphics (many of them custom) were used in its construction
  • Fun sound effects from time to time - make sure that you have your speakers/headphones on!
  • Several cases where accessibility to the next part of the dungeon is plot/action-dependent
  • There is an Easter Egg in the dungeon (bonus GA -- see details at bottom of thread)
  • Almost double the surface area of the previous dungeon; max grid size is 100X100, and while I didn't use all of it, I did use most of it 🤓
  • Approximately 10X the number of events compared to the previous dungeon
  • Over 350 hours of development & resource acquisition time

Here's how it works

• You must be at least level 1 to participate in the GAs (but you can play the dungeon if you'd like no matter what your level). Don't complain, buster -- that's a pretty low bar. I want as many people as possible to be able to play, but also want to filter out the tendency for unregistered wins. Ain't nobody got time for that.
  • There are GAs scattered through the dungeon, and they are all in treasure chests
  • You need to explore the dungeon to find them all
  • Some parts of the dungeon (most of them, actually) are only accessible by finding keys to unlock doors, switches to raise gates or activate portals, objects to give to NPCs, or riddles to solve
  • The deeper you explore in the dungeon, the better the GAs become
  • This time around, all GAs will be listed as treasures, so you'll know if you found them all
  • Spoiler alert: there is a final treasure room, and almost 50% of the GAs are in there! It's a virtual orgy of treasure! It's your reward for having solved the entire adventure, so stick with it...there's some pretty good stuff in there!

There are 121 GAs in total throughout the dungeon. As mentioned earlier, the more obstacles you pass, the better on average that the GAs become. Don't exit the dungeon (via the exit portal -- it's obvious and looks different from the regular portals) if you are still looking for treasures! Once you exit, you'll get your current stats, and to re-enter, you'll have to start at the beginning (that's just how the Dungeon Sandbox works). Speaking of treasures, I want to thank some people. I provided 96 GAs (originally, it was 85, but I got crazy last night to make the treasure room look like I wanted and bought a few more 😆), which means that 25 of the GAs in here were graciously donated by other people. A big "thank you" to D3D (DripleD), seNs, Hiro, nazamout, c_e_e_b_e_r_s, and B{+}mbakl@ts for their contributions to the event!

The GAs will run for three weeks, meaning that they end mid-day on November 1st (All Hallow's Day), US Central time. That will give you lots of time to complete the adventure and just enjoy it without feeling rushed. I'll leave the dungeon open after the GAs are done in case anyone wants to continue exploring or use it for ideas for their own event.

Advice

• Step on every square of every room -- the automap only adds tiles for square you've actually stood upon, not everything you see, so if you want an accurate map (and I have this dungeon pretty well intertwined, so believe me that having an accurate map will help), you need to run around the entire room when you enter one. You can't die, so there's no danger in cruising quickly through the whole room.
  • Talk to every character (by clicking on them)! You can't die, so you can do this without fear. Most characters want something from you in return for giving you something else, pressing a hidden switch/button, or moving out of your way. They will always tell you what they want if you speak to them.
  • Doors show up as gaps on the map -- this can be kind of confusing, but based upon how doors work, they create a blank square on the map in between the two areas that they connect. Keep this in mind when you're examining your map and trying to determine which way to go.
  • Sign in through Steam -- you can play anonymously, but if you want your progress to be saved (and the dungeon's pretty big, so let me tell you that, yes, this is something you definitely want to do), you'll need to be signed in
  • This dungeon is much more complex than my last one, so give yourself plenty of time to go through the whole thing -- nothing in here is very complicated, but there's quite a bit of ground to cover, so be ready to invest some time to get to the best GAs. I did a full end-to-end speed run the night before launch, and it took me just over an hour to complete, even knowing all of the locations and puzzles. Estimated time for the average player is about 3-4 hours, but remember that you can leave and continue later (if you've registered and signed in through Steam).
  • Leave no stone unturned -- I didn't put in any completely useless mazes or anything like that. So, be sure to go down every hallway and into every room...sometimes that annoying, windy, seems-to-go-nowhere passage has a GA at the end of it. Look at every wall.
  • Consider making your own paper map -- you may want to dig out the graph paper and make your own map so that you can make notes as to where NPCs, portals, etc., are located.

Disclaimers and stuff

• This isn't my tool, I just used it to create the dungeon, so if it goes down or something, please let me know (and I'll tell SErVER51), but also understand that there's nothing I can do about it
  • As always, I'm totally open to suggestions...but also don't be a douchebag if you don't find it fun. Making this stuff is a lot of work, and if you think you can create something better, then awesome, I would genuinely love to see it and learn from it. But anyone acting like a tool will get banned from the dungeon.
  • You must explore the dungeon to enter the GAs. Do not share links with friends. Anyone involved in a leak (I'm only mentioning this because a couple of friends' events had this problem lately), either giving or receiving links to GAs will be treated like the cheater they are and blacklisted for life.
  • It IS ok, however, to discuss puzzles or the maze with friends if you or they are stuck. But everyone needs to find the GAs by playing the game.
  • Most of the keys came from HB, IG, or Fanatical and should all be good. One or two came from Otaku and we all know the drama that happened there. If that happens, please agree ahead of time to delete the GA in that scenario. But don't worry, I will give you some kind of consolation prize worth the same amount as the game in the GA (you'll likely have your pick of several options). I never leave anyone hanging. 👌🏻👍🏻
  • A million thanks for SErVER51 for creating something cool like this so that the community here at SG has yet another option to do something creative, different, and fun. 💥🍻
  • Ok, I think that covers it. Enough of my wordiness. It's time for you to ENTER THE DUNGEON.

Have fun, and good luck❗

Easter Egg Bonus GA

So, I got a little crazy at the last minute and decided to add an Easter Egg to the dungeon. Trust me, you'll know it when you find it. How do you find it, you may ask? Well, remember my commentary above about not liking useless hallways that go nowhere, etc. There may or may not be an old-school hidden room behind a clickable or penetrable wall. But if it looks like there should be something there but there isn't...well, you should start checking closely.

When you find the Easter egg, take a screen shot and save it! You can save your screen shots to a shareable folder I made on my OneDrive here. Please format the name as "YourSGName_EESS." I'll be checking file size, time stamps, etc., so no fair sending a screen shot for a friend to use. Let's make this fair and honest. After the event is done, I will use a random number generator against the list of people that found the Easter Egg to do a special bonus GA for that select group! I don't even know what the GA is yet, but it will be something pretty decent.

Note: there were some concerns about the OneDrive shared folder and being able to view people's details in the file attributes and link this back to their SG id (since it's part of the file name). That's the way that file sharing works (because you have to be able to tell if someone else has edited your file, etc.) and in fact all major file sharing that provides folders (like Dropbox, etc.) works like this. But, I totally get the concern, so I've created a private folder and am only using the shared folder for uploads. As the files come in, I'm moving them to the private folder so that no one can look at the file attributes of anyone else's screen shot.

Best of luck finding the Easter Egg!

Trivia

• The Creepy Art Gallery contains 42 unique pieces of art, as well as three sculptures
  • The Doll House has 15 unique pieces of wall art
  • Over 250 of the >400 graphics used in the game were manually compressed to reduce the resource load
  • All custom graphics were created and/or edited with either (or both) MSPaint and Powerpoint
  • Each of the thousands of objects in the dungeon (e.g., NPC, wall torch, creepy fog, etc.) was placed individually and manually scaled/rotated/etc.
  • Keeping track of all of the dependencies (e.g., what object works with which NPC) and associations (e.g., which GA goes into which chest and where it's located) for the adventure required an Excel spreadsheet and eight sheets of notes
  • Edge was used almost exclusively as the browser during creation; this was to ensure that when obtaining png graphics, they would be saved in their native format and not be converted to webp (which happens frequently in Chrome). Consequently, I also used bing as my search engine, and racked up almost 600 bing Rewards points while searching for graphics for the game. :D

P.S. Be sure to check the comments in the GAs for chances at additional games! Dys has added bonus GAs to every GA outside of the treasure room! That's 61 additional GAs!

View attached image.
4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Bump!
Amazing adventure grez, thanks for the fun and treasures :D

View attached image.
4 years ago

Thanks, and glad you liked it...best of luck on the GAs!

4 years ago

Hey, great evet :D Thanks for all the work you put through :)

I just wanted to ask a question. Is it possible to enter giveaways when i finish the dungeon? I mean, i couldn't be sure if giveaways in the inventory will be gone (for new ones) or not.

4 years ago

Thanks! Glad you had fun.

Yes, you can enter all of the GAs after you've exited the dungeon. There will be a button on your stats page (that you can come back to any time) that looks like a trophy. Click that, and it will pop up a list of all of your treasures that link to the GAs. 😎

4 years ago

Thanks for the answer :)

4 years ago

I appreciate your effort, but I'm giving up. Sadly, it lags so badly on Firefox, that it's hardly playable and surely not enjoyable for me. I love robbing trains and events here, but I'm not a masochist ;)

4 years ago

Sorry to hear that. Did you by any chance try another browser? I'm just trying to determine if it's definitely firefox or if there's another issue like geographical proximity to the host or downstream speed/bandwidth.

4 years ago

My lagging yesterday was in Opera. It got slightly better at the end, but I've seen that rotating symbol way too often for my liking ;)

4 years ago

I'll try to test it in the next few days. For now I'm quite sure, it's not the bandwidth, I have a decent mobile connection with 30-40 ms ping and usually 15-20 Mbps width.

4 years ago

Yeah, that should be plenty. We have had a couple of people in specific geographies have some issues, so it may just be proximity to the cloud host. :(

4 years ago

Great dungeon, thank you for the event.

4 years ago

You're welcome...happy to hear you had fun. I had no idea that we'd have this many players this early on. 😳😁

4 years ago

Hmmmm. I have keys now, but have no idea how to get back into the Psych Ward......
Now where and how to check my mental health?

View attached image.
4 years ago

never mind, am nuttier that I thought, found my way back to the psych ward!

View attached image.
4 years ago

Remember that you found a switch that, when you click it, tells you that you can hear two gates moving...one opening and one closing...

Great news...well, keep going! :)

4 years ago

Trying, but still missed something....
This is a Psych Ward, so pills are needed.....

Back to back tracking some more.

4 years ago

finally done just need to look for the EE :)
thanks , was a good lab/puzzle

4 years ago

Congrats, thanks, and good luck! (Remember my bit about not designing in useless hallways...that should help you find it...)

4 years ago

Finished! That was fun, thank you very much for te enjoyable event! I managed to find 120 of 121 items, I wonder what I missed.

4 years ago

Congrats on a great run! When I did my end-to-end test the other night, I missed an item too, so don't feel too badly about it. :)

4 years ago

That was a lot of fun! But I worry I might have run into a bug which affected my score :(

The odd thing is, I counted the games in my inventory before exiting, and there were a total of 119 out of the supposed 121 (plus some gate keys which for some reason were still in my inventory, which made me thing I would need to look for more closed gates to find the remaining 2 games). But while I was going back through the second-to-last area I found two chests that were still closed. I assumed I had missed those, but when I opened them it showed me two GAs I had already entered (which would be odd since the only ones I entered lately are those found from chests + the ones in comments by dys). Still, the total game count in my inventory went up to 121 and I decided to leave this confusing mystery unsolved and finish the game through the exit. Then the completion message says I have found 123 out of 121... am I haunted or something? shivers in fear

Oh well, as I said it was so much fun to explore it! Thank you grez and everyone who contributed into this event :)

Now I'll see if I can go back inside and look for the Easter Egg, but I'm usually terrible at finding the ultimate secret stuff XD

Still wonder if those gate keys were supposed to stay in my inventory...

EDIT: after completing and exiting the dungeon it still shows 121 games (and no gate keys but I suppose that's normal if they don't count as treasure). Still, I feel bad for unwillingly ruining the score to the others, hopefully it can be manually edited by some admin?

View attached image.
4 years ago*

So yes, this is a bug that is the result of me fixing another bug. 😖😀

There were two cases where chests could get "stomped on" by items that would transfer in when certain NPCs got what they wanted (and if the player hadn't gotten that treasure yet, then they lost their opportunity). So I had to remove and recreate the chests a couple of blocks away to fix that issue. However, for people that were mid-game and had already found the treasures in the old locations, it created the possibility of coming back to that area and also opening the newly created (moved) chests too, creating the odd count. I'm going to see if SErVER51 can edit the stats for us. We'll see. Either way, you got all 121, so great run!

4 years ago

Thank you! Also, I want to thank all those players who were wandering into the dungeon with spooky avatars during my run, I almost pooped myself a few more times XD

4 years ago

Urgh I'm sorry, I also ruined the leaderboard :(
But it was a real fun ride, thanks for that <3. Didn't find the easteregg, but well it isn't easter anyway
and nobody here will live to see another easter muahahaha
picks up his puppet and walks away

4 years ago

Well, if you decide to go for the Easter Egg, it's possible to find pretty close to the beginning, so you won't have to slog back through most of the adventure or anything. There's a good hint as to where to look in the discussion text. :)

Congrats on a good run, and don't worry about the leaderboard...I'm going to ask SErVER51 if it's possible to edit the data.

4 years ago

Thanks for the hint, maybe I'll come back to find it :)

4 years ago

Found it :) When I was there I wanted to talk to SErVER51, but he didn't want to talk to me, and when I walked forward she disappeard like a ghost :(

4 years ago

Thank you very much for the full-scale dungeon crawler!!!

4 years ago

You're welcome. I had a good time making it, and I'm very happy that so many people are having a good time playing it. :)

4 years ago

thx for the dungeon and also thx for the help in the comments .

4 years ago

NP, happy to help, and glad you had a good time. :)

4 years ago

Stuck at the password but I'm giving up for now. My head kinda hurts :D

Bump for the spoopiness and effort

4 years ago

In the Psyche Ward? If so, read through the comments on this thread...lots of hints in here... 😁😎👌🏻

4 years ago

Another bump, finished it \m/ thanks!

View attached image.
4 years ago

Nice run! Congrats, and you're welcome! :)

4 years ago

Rest stop bumpity! ^_^

4 years ago

Still looking for the 121st chest... There was a room where all was black and I couldn't use the map. Maybe it's there...

4 years ago

Possibly...there's a lot going on in there. But you should be able to use the map in the Black Room. The mini map doesn't care what the lighting or texture is like anywhere. :)

4 years ago

What I called "Black Room" must have been a bug. It was after I went through a portal, the screen was completely black, no room, no icons, nothing, M key didn't open the map. Clicking on the center of the screen brought me to the place where the game starts, which looks like it's the intended destination of the portal.

Edit: Found it in the actual dark room, I had not turned the right way after seeing a clown and missed a chest.

4 years ago*

1) Congrats! and
2) If literally everything was black, then it might be some kind of bug in the Dungeon Sandbox. All of my images are hosted on Imgur, so it wouldn't be a specific texture...if one failed then they would all 100% fail if you were blocked from that site. Let me know if you can remember exactly where that was. It might help SErVER51 to debug his code.

4 years ago

It was after clicking on the portal north of (30, 74). All went black until I clicked on the center of the screen.

4 years ago

Thanks for the dungeon.

4 years ago

You're welcome!

4 years ago

that was a very nice dungeon, thanks mate! I couldn't find 2 games though, 119/121

btw, that was my first dungeon sandbox experience, and in my country imgur isnt reachable without vpn, so when i entered the dungeon it was all black. till i found out there are images from imgur everywhere, i found 4 games trying to remember my steps in pitch dark :D

4 years ago

Wow, good to know. I hosted everything on my imgur account this time, because the last dungeon I did, I just used the source location for a lot of the graphics, and many of those were blocked for people. Imgur seemed to be more universally accepted, so I chose that. Man, seems like it's impossible to win that battle. :D

Glad you figured out a workaround and were able to play after all!

4 years ago

FUCK!!! THAT BABY SOUND SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME!!!!!

4 years ago

Ha ha ha ha ha ha...nothing like a crazy baby laugh when you are trying to retrieve a doll head in a room full of creepy dolls!
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

😈

4 years ago

Interesting......
If only I knew where to search for that room....
I presume I can find Molly there?

4 years ago

Never mind, found it!

On wards we go!

4 years ago

Yep.

After you visit Jason, a gate that was closed earlier has opened up

I'm late to replying to messages...you already figured it out. :)

4 years ago

Thanks for the fun dungeon adventure, grez! :D
(I'm in awe of the amount of time you poured into making this!)

4 years ago

You're welcome, and I'm glad you had a good time! That makes the work worth it. :)

4 years ago

I only remembered about the easter egg after finding the exit to the dungeon. Then I started backtracking to find it. Boy it was epic parading to the exit with what I found there :D

4 years ago

lmao...especially if you didn't flip that switch to change the sound back...😂😂😂😂

4 years ago

Of course I didn't. That's the whole point 🤣🤣

4 years ago

😁

4 years ago

How true.!

4 years ago

Awesome, thank you very much !! :D

4 years ago

You're welcome! Good luck with the gibs!

4 years ago

I escaped. Yay!

4 years ago

Congrats!

4 years ago

Thank you grez. Amazing work. From modding n stuff I know how much work is behind.
THANK YOU again ;) I hope you enjoyed doing it as well

11/10 Doctors Approve this one is good for your mental health.

4 years ago

😁 Thanks!!! And thanks again for the key donations. 😎

4 years ago

AAnnd it really gave me nightmares. Not cruel but there were similarities.

4 years ago

Found all treasures and the easter egg. Thank you for all the effort and time spent.
I didn't join any gib, but had fun exploring. I enjoyed watching other players running around in circles, back and forth xD

4 years ago

Yeah, seeing other people in the dungeon is a nice touch. SErVER51 really did a great job when he added that feature. :)

Congrats on finding everything!

4 years ago

Not my kind of event, so I'll most likely pass. But good luck to those who do participate!

4 years ago

Well, it was a lot smoother today than yesterday, guess because of fewer people playing. Finished it all up and joined the growing group of people who missed a single giveaway.

View attached image.
4 years ago

I had the same thing happen to me and I wrote the damn thing! :D :D :D
Congrats on finishing it up!

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.