UPDATE:

Wow! Well over NINE HUNDRED people played the dungeon! That's a lot more than I expected! Thank you to all of the players and key-givers for helping make this a successful event! And, as always, a big thanks to SErVER51 for creating the Dungeon Sandbox that makes things like this possible. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I will be handling the bonus Easter Egg GA later today. I'm still determining some options. I'll update this thread with more info very soon, and will post the winner here as well as ping them in one of their own GA threads to ensure that they see it. If the winner doesn't respond in 48 hours, I move on to a second one, and so forth until the prize is claimed.

Misiu! Congrats! You're the Easter Egg GA winner!

Update: Misiu got back to me and selected her prize from the list! Congrats again!

Running stats:

• Number of people who have entered the dungeon: 922 (Wow!)
  • Number of people who have completed the dungeon: 287
  • Number of people who have found 100% of the treasure: 164 (SErVER51 upgraded the leaderboard! Thanks!!!)
  • Number of verified people who have found the Easter Egg: 187

All right, all of you smartasses (I have been laughing my butt off at all of the "placeholder" commentary...y'all are hilarious), the time is finally here. Welcome to...

Grez's Halloween 2019 Dungeon Adventure!

That's right, instead of a regular ol' train, you get to play an adventure game created with SErVER51's Dungeon Sandbox! As you play through the adventure, you'll find treasure chests with loot that will link you to invite-only SteamGifts GAs.

I had done a similar event earlier (back in February of this year), and learned a lot from it. So, I really pulled out the stops on this one and put in as much content as I could before my deadline hit. Some quick notes:

• Roughly 35 NPCs with which to interact
  • Over 400 individual graphics (many of them custom) were used in its construction
  • Fun sound effects from time to time - make sure that you have your speakers/headphones on!
  • Several cases where accessibility to the next part of the dungeon is plot/action-dependent
  • There is an Easter Egg in the dungeon (bonus GA -- see details at bottom of thread)
  • Almost double the surface area of the previous dungeon; max grid size is 100X100, and while I didn't use all of it, I did use most of it ๐Ÿค“
  • Approximately 10X the number of events compared to the previous dungeon
  • Over 350 hours of development & resource acquisition time

Here's how it works

• You must be at least level 1 to participate in the GAs (but you can play the dungeon if you'd like no matter what your level). Don't complain, buster -- that's a pretty low bar. I want as many people as possible to be able to play, but also want to filter out the tendency for unregistered wins. Ain't nobody got time for that.
  • There are GAs scattered through the dungeon, and they are all in treasure chests
  • You need to explore the dungeon to find them all
  • Some parts of the dungeon (most of them, actually) are only accessible by finding keys to unlock doors, switches to raise gates or activate portals, objects to give to NPCs, or riddles to solve
  • The deeper you explore in the dungeon, the better the GAs become
  • This time around, all GAs will be listed as treasures, so you'll know if you found them all
  • Spoiler alert: there is a final treasure room, and almost 50% of the GAs are in there! It's a virtual orgy of treasure! It's your reward for having solved the entire adventure, so stick with it...there's some pretty good stuff in there!

There are 121 GAs in total throughout the dungeon. As mentioned earlier, the more obstacles you pass, the better on average that the GAs become. Don't exit the dungeon (via the exit portal -- it's obvious and looks different from the regular portals) if you are still looking for treasures! Once you exit, you'll get your current stats, and to re-enter, you'll have to start at the beginning (that's just how the Dungeon Sandbox works). Speaking of treasures, I want to thank some people. I provided 96 GAs (originally, it was 85, but I got crazy last night to make the treasure room look like I wanted and bought a few more ๐Ÿ˜†), which means that 25 of the GAs in here were graciously donated by other people. A big "thank you" to D3D (DripleD), seNs, Hiro, nazamout, c_e_e_b_e_r_s, and B{+}mbakl@ts for their contributions to the event!

The GAs will run for three weeks, meaning that they end mid-day on November 1st (All Hallow's Day), US Central time. That will give you lots of time to complete the adventure and just enjoy it without feeling rushed. I'll leave the dungeon open after the GAs are done in case anyone wants to continue exploring or use it for ideas for their own event.

Advice

• Step on every square of every room -- the automap only adds tiles for square you've actually stood upon, not everything you see, so if you want an accurate map (and I have this dungeon pretty well intertwined, so believe me that having an accurate map will help), you need to run around the entire room when you enter one. You can't die, so there's no danger in cruising quickly through the whole room.
  • Talk to every character (by clicking on them)! You can't die, so you can do this without fear. Most characters want something from you in return for giving you something else, pressing a hidden switch/button, or moving out of your way. They will always tell you what they want if you speak to them.
  • Doors show up as gaps on the map -- this can be kind of confusing, but based upon how doors work, they create a blank square on the map in between the two areas that they connect. Keep this in mind when you're examining your map and trying to determine which way to go.
  • Sign in through Steam -- you can play anonymously, but if you want your progress to be saved (and the dungeon's pretty big, so let me tell you that, yes, this is something you definitely want to do), you'll need to be signed in
  • This dungeon is much more complex than my last one, so give yourself plenty of time to go through the whole thing -- nothing in here is very complicated, but there's quite a bit of ground to cover, so be ready to invest some time to get to the best GAs. I did a full end-to-end speed run the night before launch, and it took me just over an hour to complete, even knowing all of the locations and puzzles. Estimated time for the average player is about 3-4 hours, but remember that you can leave and continue later (if you've registered and signed in through Steam).
  • Leave no stone unturned -- I didn't put in any completely useless mazes or anything like that. So, be sure to go down every hallway and into every room...sometimes that annoying, windy, seems-to-go-nowhere passage has a GA at the end of it. Look at every wall.
  • Consider making your own paper map -- you may want to dig out the graph paper and make your own map so that you can make notes as to where NPCs, portals, etc., are located.

Disclaimers and stuff

• This isn't my tool, I just used it to create the dungeon, so if it goes down or something, please let me know (and I'll tell SErVER51), but also understand that there's nothing I can do about it
  • As always, I'm totally open to suggestions...but also don't be a douchebag if you don't find it fun. Making this stuff is a lot of work, and if you think you can create something better, then awesome, I would genuinely love to see it and learn from it. But anyone acting like a tool will get banned from the dungeon.
  • You must explore the dungeon to enter the GAs. Do not share links with friends. Anyone involved in a leak (I'm only mentioning this because a couple of friends' events had this problem lately), either giving or receiving links to GAs will be treated like the cheater they are and blacklisted for life.
  • It IS ok, however, to discuss puzzles or the maze with friends if you or they are stuck. But everyone needs to find the GAs by playing the game.
  • Most of the keys came from HB, IG, or Fanatical and should all be good. One or two came from Otaku and we all know the drama that happened there. If that happens, please agree ahead of time to delete the GA in that scenario. But don't worry, I will give you some kind of consolation prize worth the same amount as the game in the GA (you'll likely have your pick of several options). I never leave anyone hanging. ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
  • A million thanks for SErVER51 for creating something cool like this so that the community here at SG has yet another option to do something creative, different, and fun. ๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿป
  • Ok, I think that covers it. Enough of my wordiness. It's time for you to ENTER THE DUNGEON.

Have fun, and good luckโ—

Easter Egg Bonus GA

So, I got a little crazy at the last minute and decided to add an Easter Egg to the dungeon. Trust me, you'll know it when you find it. How do you find it, you may ask? Well, remember my commentary above about not liking useless hallways that go nowhere, etc. There may or may not be an old-school hidden room behind a clickable or penetrable wall. But if it looks like there should be something there but there isn't...well, you should start checking closely.

When you find the Easter egg, take a screen shot and save it! You can save your screen shots to a shareable folder I made on my OneDrive here. Please format the name as "YourSGName_EESS." I'll be checking file size, time stamps, etc., so no fair sending a screen shot for a friend to use. Let's make this fair and honest. After the event is done, I will use a random number generator against the list of people that found the Easter Egg to do a special bonus GA for that select group! I don't even know what the GA is yet, but it will be something pretty decent.

Note: there were some concerns about the OneDrive shared folder and being able to view people's details in the file attributes and link this back to their SG id (since it's part of the file name). That's the way that file sharing works (because you have to be able to tell if someone else has edited your file, etc.) and in fact all major file sharing that provides folders (like Dropbox, etc.) works like this. But, I totally get the concern, so I've created a private folder and am only using the shared folder for uploads. As the files come in, I'm moving them to the private folder so that no one can look at the file attributes of anyone else's screen shot.

Best of luck finding the Easter Egg!

Trivia

• The Creepy Art Gallery contains 42 unique pieces of art, as well as three sculptures
  • The Doll House has 15 unique pieces of wall art
  • Over 250 of the >400 graphics used in the game were manually compressed to reduce the resource load
  • All custom graphics were created and/or edited with either (or both) MSPaint and Powerpoint
  • Each of the thousands of objects in the dungeon (e.g., NPC, wall torch, creepy fog, etc.) was placed individually and manually scaled/rotated/etc.
  • Keeping track of all of the dependencies (e.g., what object works with which NPC) and associations (e.g., which GA goes into which chest and where it's located) for the adventure required an Excel spreadsheet and eight sheets of notes
  • Edge was used almost exclusively as the browser during creation; this was to ensure that when obtaining png graphics, they would be saved in their native format and not be converted to webp (which happens frequently in Chrome). Consequently, I also used bing as my search engine, and racked up almost 600 bing Rewards points while searching for graphics for the game. :D

P.S. Be sure to check the comments in the GAs for chances at additional games! Dys has added bonus GAs to every GA outside of the treasure room! That's 61 additional GAs!

View attached image.
4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Time to Bump. Awesome event.

Currently I'm brain dead it seems. Stuck at the Psych Ward and the iron bars close to the lever west/north of the starting point. And yes: I have seen the texts on the wall leading to the above mentioned lever. Scratching my head about the missing numbers (or rather one of them).

4 years ago

Are you talking about the lever just North of Ted the Swearing Clown? And I'm not exactly sure which numbers you're talking about. Can you clarify a bit more? I'll try to give you a hint. If it's too hard to describe, feel free to post a screen shot. :)

4 years ago

I was vague on purpose, apparently I overdid it ;)

(x/y): from (51/49) to (51/60) there is way north, on height 51 there is writing on the walls west and east. And the lever I meant is the one at the top end of that way. Was that clown named Ted? He had a bat and wanted his clown doll (Chandler?) back.
East of that lever there is a gate? Iron bars? Don't know, if I can do something there yet.

And in the Psych Ward there are 3 doors, which I currently didn't manage to do anything with. I assume a certain sequence of knocking is necessary, but somehow I didn't get it right yet.

Probably just something obvious, making me go head->desk when I get it ;)

At least I found the Easter Egg.

4 years ago

Ok, I get what you're talking about now. Yep, you're making it too hard. The iron bars that you're talking about (where you can see a new wallpaper in the background) will open at another point in the adventure after you've completed some other tasks. The numbers on the wall don't mean anything...that's a default effect of the Dungeon Sandbox, and basically just represents the middle of the map. Knocking on the doors in the Psyche Ward doesn't do anything...you need to find the keys (you'll know when you get them...it's a key ring and opens all of the locked doors in the Psyche Ward). Keep exploring...the keys aren't too difficult to find. Pay attention to that switch, though...notice that you can keep flipping that one and what the text pop-says when you do that. Hope that helps!

4 years ago

Narf... I completely forgot the keys in my inventory...

Head->Desk commencing right now...

Thank you :)

4 years ago

lmao...no problem at all...glad to help you get unstuck. :)

(Oh, and I appreciate the Animaniacs reference :) )

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

4 years ago

Ha ha ha ha...yeah, it was supposed to be hard. If it makes you feel better, when I first designed it, it was completely black, and then when I play-tested it, I decided that was too hard. So I designed the speckled floor and added a ceiling texture so that it was at least possible to navigate around fairly well. All the same, there is a LOT going on in there and things change/open/appear as you interact with switches and stuff, so it's one of the more high-effort areas. Glad you had fun!

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 months ago.

4 years ago

Lol, I can't believe it, but you're the first one to bring up the jump scares. I thought that I'd get a lot more crap for those. :D

4 years ago

thanks for the dungeon ^^ i'm stuck with the bloody password :(

4 years ago

Search through the comments in this thread...I've given a bunch of hints on that one. :)

4 years ago

yeah i saw the hints but i'm idiot i guess . I look the blood in the doc room but maybe isn't here x)

4 years ago

It's not in the room where the Doc was...it's elsewhere in the Psyche Ward. Check that west wing...

4 years ago

got it , thanks for the hint . I understand the 'look attetively ' ^^

4 years ago

I am too scared.

4 years ago

Lol, don't worry, my friend, everything LOOKS scary, but you can't die. So just run around and talk to all of the characters and solve the puzzles. No reason to be afraid. :)

4 years ago

5/5GB used of Onedrive... it's full :(

Welp, already stuff. Only see one locked gate and 3 doors in the psych ward that don't open and are fluff. Don't even know about this 'bloody password'... time to did comments I suppose.
EDIT: Same as here, didn't think about using keys (or any items really) manually.

4 years ago*

Wait...could you not upload to my OneDrive folder? I have O365, so I have a Tb, and I'm nowhere close to it. Make sure you're actually seeing my folder and not your own OneDrive. :)

If you're still stuck, you can upload the image to Imgur or something and send me a link.

4 years ago

Actually seems it was the stats of my GF's account? (I didn't really uploading, just say "full") I tried logging into my own and it says I was blocked and it takes up to 24h to unblock, but it seems that already went through so I tried uploading my screen so it shooould be fine now.

4 years ago

cool...figured it was something like that...I have lots and lots of storage available. :)

4 years ago

Bump for having gotten through most of the dungeon.

Mainly just stuck on the "bloody password" in the psyche ward, even with a hint I found in the comments.

4 years ago

take a look along the north side of the west wing...

4 years ago

Finally reached the end. 100% and 13th place in the leaderboard.

4 years ago*

Great dungeon, grez! I really have to create (another) one myself. Have plans and ideas in the head for months, but just don't find the time

Missed a few giveaways, but don't like horror games, so was in it for the adventure not the treasure anyway :)
Thanks a lot and thanks to all contributors as well.

View attached image.
4 years ago*

You're welcome! Glad that the adventure was worthwhile :)

Really looking forward to your next project! Let me know if I can help with anything!

4 years ago

Fun dungeon! I thought I mapped it all, but I missed two treasures so I guess not. Probably in the ghost labyrinth since I was super thorough with the dark zone.

4 years ago

There are a couple of tricky ones. A few people have missed the extras from the passage that Chucky opens up when you bring Tiffany back to him.

4 years ago

Nah, I sought that one out so I know I got it. It's probably the Tempest puzzle/Ghost Labyrinth area, but it's not enough to make me play through again

4 years ago

Yeah, that's a lot of work for two potential gibs. My end-to-end test speed run was still an hour long. Of course, resources hadn't been increased yet, so things were kinda slow. Maybe I should take another go at it... ;)

4 years ago

This is a kool event, thanks Grez1 :)

4 years ago

You're welcome! Love seeing the staff actually get some time to play stuff instead of just having to re-list games and delete GAs for the community. :)

4 years ago

Okay......I know I can take notes, but why should I?
It is so much fun to get completely lost (NOT)
I am just a complete idiot who should take notes......
Might be helpful..........
No need to send a rescue party (yet)

View attached image.
View attached image.
4 years ago*

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

4 years ago

First of all thanks for the awesome dungeon :D

Im still stuck in the tempest puzzle and i have a question about it, the ghost talking about the tempest that im supposed to find is "available" all the time or he disappear after i give some item to him?

4 years ago

Nope. So, it's important that you understand it's Tempest with a capital "T," as in William Shakespeare. And the hint is talking about the ghosts in the long hallway outside of that last room where the question happens to be...go take a close look at the hallways where those ghosts are, and if you're paying attention, you'll see the answer there. You can't interact with them, but the answer is right by them...

(there are other hints about this one elsewhere in the comments on this discussion thread too)

4 years ago

Bump for dungeon! :)

4 years ago

Completed and the stats tell me: 120/121... damn ;)

4 years ago

Some levers in the dark room mentioned something like magical energies or somesuch... no clue, what that did. Maybe the last missing treasure is connected to that?

Ah well, I probably won't go through it again just to search all over again for one missing treasure with no clue where to look..

4 years ago

One of the things was the mask for Twisty the clown, which gets zapped into the Black Room when you press one of the levers. There is also a treasure chest that gets zapped in there too, but it's fairly close by the switch that you press, so you likely found that one.

4 years ago

Assuming my notes are correct, there were 8 or 11 treasures in the dark room (depends on if you count the extra room or not).

4 years ago

I did the same thing. Missed a chest in my own dungeon. lol

4 years ago

Talking about the dark room, there is like this pile of bones and skeletons in there, but I can't reach them. Is that supposed to be that way?

4 years ago

Yeah, that one is just decoration. I was going to try to do something crazy with it, but the graphics didn't work out well, so I decided to just leave it there for looks. :)

4 years ago

bump

4 years ago

Bump. Complete 121/121 but not find Easter Egg Bonus ((

4 years ago

The Easter Egg can be found fairly early on, so just know that if you decide to go back in and look for it, you won't have to complete that much of the dungeon to figure out its location. :)

4 years ago

I guess where it is hidden. I'll try again, thanks)

4 years ago

iยดm hanging at the third password with the clowns. I can only remove two of them an use 2 switches at the moment. Cant find the stain remover - maybe tomorrow

4 years ago*

You mean the password for the supply closet in the creepy art gallery? The clowns don't have any passwords...they all ask you to bring them stuff.

4 years ago

I know - but i dont find the third stuff (stain remover) and maybe to find that i need the third password?

4 years ago

Yep. The cleaning lady hints at how to get that password. Everything you need for the supply closet password is in the art gallery. Look around. You'll start noticing some significant things.

4 years ago

thx - i was thinking to complycated. i thought i must decrypt the result :)

4 years ago

Nope. :) I tried to make puzzles that were very achievable for all players...nothing too esoteric or obtuse. You're close to the end now...keep going!

4 years ago

Bump, thanks for the fun giveaway, or well a dungeon :)
I'm callng it a night, got to a part where I need to get arms for a certain doll, I think afterwards it said some stone sound happened but as I retraced my steps throughout I couldn't find anything or remember the text exactly, will give it a go tomorrow and search the place again

4 years ago

Yep, keep searching. The newly exposed area isn't too far away (hint: don't leave the Doll House).

You have plenty of time to finish it, so take your time!

4 years ago

Nice dungeon , i had fun ! thanks for your time and giveaways :)

4 years ago

You're welcome - glad that you liked it!

4 years ago

Bump for solved but not 100%, I missed 2, but it was super fun!

4 years ago

๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿป๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿค˜๐Ÿป

4 years ago

I don't know if I'm the only one seeing it (a bug on my side or something) but I got 122/121 somehow. ยฏ\_(ใƒ„)_/ยฏ
I got all the stuff from the treasure room and I was backtracking to find the Easter Egg and I somehow ended up checking every wall in the maze area (I feel silly that I did)
Anyway, I'm pretty sure I opened every chest at that point but there was an unopened one there. It was near the NPC that you give the phonograph to if I recall correctly (if not, it's definitely in the maze area, near one of the NPCs there) that I found an unopened chest so naturally I opened it because I thought I missed it somehow.
Looking back, it might have been a bugged chest that re-closed somehow because when I stepped on it, it didn't give me anything but it was open after I stepped away from it.
Anyway, I thought you should know just in case it's a bug.

Thank you, Grez. Thanks to all the contributors as well.
Thanks for the great dungeon! Thanks for all the gibs!

4 years ago

Got the same thing but I did get a treasure that I seemingly missed.

4 years ago

I had to move a couple of chests that were essentially bugged. I had two cases that players noticed where, if they hadn't already gotten the treasure from the chest, when they interacted with a NPC, the transfer event that brought the object there would "stomp" on the chest, and they would miss out on what was in it. So, I moved the chests in those cases. I'm betting that you had already grabbed the treasure for at least one of these, then I fixed it, then you went back through that area and grabbed the new chest (you can't really move anything in the tool...you have to delete and recreate it), which essentially doubled up that particular treasure.

So my fixing an edge case issue created a new edge case issue for some people that were partway through the dungeon. ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿค“

Congrats on solving everything! Glad you had fun!

4 years ago

Two chests had that problem? I know about the phonograph wanting artistic ghost. Which one was the other one? Maybe that was my missing chest?

4 years ago

Actually... scrap that idea.
I just looked again at my treaasure chest, which now only contains 118 treasures, despite having found 120. So I must have found both of those (now deleted and at another place recreated) treasures.

4 years ago

Yeah, it was one of the sister ghosts...the one that wants the nail clippers. When the hairbrush dropped, it stomped on the chest there. I didn't notice it during testing because I always open chests first.

The other part that makes all of this tricky is that I got all of the mechanics of the game working first (characters, objects, interactions, transfer events, sound cues, walls/gates opening based upon proper precedence, etc.), then went back and inserted the treasures everywhere that made sense. The issue there is that for any of the transfer events, the destination for the object isn't visible when you're placing new objects, so unless you remember every one of them...well, things such as the treasure chest issue happen. :D Yet another lesson learned and another thing to keep in my copious notes for the next time. lol

4 years ago

I think I've completed the dungeon, although unsure if I got all the treasures or not. It says I got 122/121 treasures but, from the list of treasures after exiting the dungeon I think I only got 120/121 treasures.

Regardless, this was a fun time and I want to think everyone who was apart of this, especially grez.

View attached image.
4 years ago

I had to move a couple of chests that were essentially bugged. I had two cases that players noticed where, if they hadn't already gotten the treasure from the chest, when they interacted with a NPC, the transfer event that brought the object there would "stomp" on the chest, and they would miss out on what was in it. So, I moved the chests in those cases. I'm betting that you had already grabbed the treasure for at least one of these, then I fixed it, then you went back through that area and grabbed the new chest (you can't really move anything in the tool...you have to delete and recreate it), which essentially doubled up that particular treasure.

So my fixing an edge case issue created a new edge case issue for some people that were partway through the dungeon. ๐Ÿ˜–๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿค“

4 years ago

A lot of fun! Thanks!

View attached image.
4 years ago

Nice run! Congrats on finding everything!

(If you haven't found the Easter Egg, it's fairly close to the beginning, so not a big deal if you want to go back for that. :) )

4 years ago

Bumpy Yes for a ride. 121/121 treasures. Yes. Now only if i could remember that microsoft silly account thingy :D Yes.

4 years ago

View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
View attached image.
4 years ago

I've sent that easter egg screenshot. Yes. @_@

4 years ago

yyyyeeesssss

( อกโŠ™ อœส– อกโŠ™)

4 years ago

Bump! 121/121 completed(at first, I thought I would definitely miss some of the treasures :D), thanks for this cool event!

4 years ago

You're welcome! Congrats on a great run. I'm impressed at how thorough so many of the players are!

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.