UPDATE:

Wow! Well over NINE HUNDRED people played the dungeon! That's a lot more than I expected! Thank you to all of the players and key-givers for helping make this a successful event! And, as always, a big thanks to SErVER51 for creating the Dungeon Sandbox that makes things like this possible. 😎

I will be handling the bonus Easter Egg GA later today. I'm still determining some options. I'll update this thread with more info very soon, and will post the winner here as well as ping them in one of their own GA threads to ensure that they see it. If the winner doesn't respond in 48 hours, I move on to a second one, and so forth until the prize is claimed.

Misiu! Congrats! You're the Easter Egg GA winner!

Update: Misiu got back to me and selected her prize from the list! Congrats again!

Running stats:

• Number of people who have entered the dungeon: 922 (Wow!)
  • Number of people who have completed the dungeon: 287
  • Number of people who have found 100% of the treasure: 164 (SErVER51 upgraded the leaderboard! Thanks!!!)
  • Number of verified people who have found the Easter Egg: 187

All right, all of you smartasses (I have been laughing my butt off at all of the "placeholder" commentary...y'all are hilarious), the time is finally here. Welcome to...

Grez's Halloween 2019 Dungeon Adventure!

That's right, instead of a regular ol' train, you get to play an adventure game created with SErVER51's Dungeon Sandbox! As you play through the adventure, you'll find treasure chests with loot that will link you to invite-only SteamGifts GAs.

I had done a similar event earlier (back in February of this year), and learned a lot from it. So, I really pulled out the stops on this one and put in as much content as I could before my deadline hit. Some quick notes:

• Roughly 35 NPCs with which to interact
  • Over 400 individual graphics (many of them custom) were used in its construction
  • Fun sound effects from time to time - make sure that you have your speakers/headphones on!
  • Several cases where accessibility to the next part of the dungeon is plot/action-dependent
  • There is an Easter Egg in the dungeon (bonus GA -- see details at bottom of thread)
  • Almost double the surface area of the previous dungeon; max grid size is 100X100, and while I didn't use all of it, I did use most of it πŸ€“
  • Approximately 10X the number of events compared to the previous dungeon
  • Over 350 hours of development & resource acquisition time

Here's how it works

• You must be at least level 1 to participate in the GAs (but you can play the dungeon if you'd like no matter what your level). Don't complain, buster -- that's a pretty low bar. I want as many people as possible to be able to play, but also want to filter out the tendency for unregistered wins. Ain't nobody got time for that.
  • There are GAs scattered through the dungeon, and they are all in treasure chests
  • You need to explore the dungeon to find them all
  • Some parts of the dungeon (most of them, actually) are only accessible by finding keys to unlock doors, switches to raise gates or activate portals, objects to give to NPCs, or riddles to solve
  • The deeper you explore in the dungeon, the better the GAs become
  • This time around, all GAs will be listed as treasures, so you'll know if you found them all
  • Spoiler alert: there is a final treasure room, and almost 50% of the GAs are in there! It's a virtual orgy of treasure! It's your reward for having solved the entire adventure, so stick with it...there's some pretty good stuff in there!

There are 121 GAs in total throughout the dungeon. As mentioned earlier, the more obstacles you pass, the better on average that the GAs become. Don't exit the dungeon (via the exit portal -- it's obvious and looks different from the regular portals) if you are still looking for treasures! Once you exit, you'll get your current stats, and to re-enter, you'll have to start at the beginning (that's just how the Dungeon Sandbox works). Speaking of treasures, I want to thank some people. I provided 96 GAs (originally, it was 85, but I got crazy last night to make the treasure room look like I wanted and bought a few more πŸ˜†), which means that 25 of the GAs in here were graciously donated by other people. A big "thank you" to D3D (DripleD), seNs, Hiro, nazamout, c_e_e_b_e_r_s, and B{+}mbakl@ts for their contributions to the event!

The GAs will run for three weeks, meaning that they end mid-day on November 1st (All Hallow's Day), US Central time. That will give you lots of time to complete the adventure and just enjoy it without feeling rushed. I'll leave the dungeon open after the GAs are done in case anyone wants to continue exploring or use it for ideas for their own event.

Advice

• Step on every square of every room -- the automap only adds tiles for square you've actually stood upon, not everything you see, so if you want an accurate map (and I have this dungeon pretty well intertwined, so believe me that having an accurate map will help), you need to run around the entire room when you enter one. You can't die, so there's no danger in cruising quickly through the whole room.
  • Talk to every character (by clicking on them)! You can't die, so you can do this without fear. Most characters want something from you in return for giving you something else, pressing a hidden switch/button, or moving out of your way. They will always tell you what they want if you speak to them.
  • Doors show up as gaps on the map -- this can be kind of confusing, but based upon how doors work, they create a blank square on the map in between the two areas that they connect. Keep this in mind when you're examining your map and trying to determine which way to go.
  • Sign in through Steam -- you can play anonymously, but if you want your progress to be saved (and the dungeon's pretty big, so let me tell you that, yes, this is something you definitely want to do), you'll need to be signed in
  • This dungeon is much more complex than my last one, so give yourself plenty of time to go through the whole thing -- nothing in here is very complicated, but there's quite a bit of ground to cover, so be ready to invest some time to get to the best GAs. I did a full end-to-end speed run the night before launch, and it took me just over an hour to complete, even knowing all of the locations and puzzles. Estimated time for the average player is about 3-4 hours, but remember that you can leave and continue later (if you've registered and signed in through Steam).
  • Leave no stone unturned -- I didn't put in any completely useless mazes or anything like that. So, be sure to go down every hallway and into every room...sometimes that annoying, windy, seems-to-go-nowhere passage has a GA at the end of it. Look at every wall.
  • Consider making your own paper map -- you may want to dig out the graph paper and make your own map so that you can make notes as to where NPCs, portals, etc., are located.

Disclaimers and stuff

• This isn't my tool, I just used it to create the dungeon, so if it goes down or something, please let me know (and I'll tell SErVER51), but also understand that there's nothing I can do about it
  • As always, I'm totally open to suggestions...but also don't be a douchebag if you don't find it fun. Making this stuff is a lot of work, and if you think you can create something better, then awesome, I would genuinely love to see it and learn from it. But anyone acting like a tool will get banned from the dungeon.
  • You must explore the dungeon to enter the GAs. Do not share links with friends. Anyone involved in a leak (I'm only mentioning this because a couple of friends' events had this problem lately), either giving or receiving links to GAs will be treated like the cheater they are and blacklisted for life.
  • It IS ok, however, to discuss puzzles or the maze with friends if you or they are stuck. But everyone needs to find the GAs by playing the game.
  • Most of the keys came from HB, IG, or Fanatical and should all be good. One or two came from Otaku and we all know the drama that happened there. If that happens, please agree ahead of time to delete the GA in that scenario. But don't worry, I will give you some kind of consolation prize worth the same amount as the game in the GA (you'll likely have your pick of several options). I never leave anyone hanging. πŸ‘ŒπŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
  • A million thanks for SErVER51 for creating something cool like this so that the community here at SG has yet another option to do something creative, different, and fun. πŸ’₯🍻
  • Ok, I think that covers it. Enough of my wordiness. It's time for you to ENTER THE DUNGEON.

Have fun, and good luck❗

Easter Egg Bonus GA

So, I got a little crazy at the last minute and decided to add an Easter Egg to the dungeon. Trust me, you'll know it when you find it. How do you find it, you may ask? Well, remember my commentary above about not liking useless hallways that go nowhere, etc. There may or may not be an old-school hidden room behind a clickable or penetrable wall. But if it looks like there should be something there but there isn't...well, you should start checking closely.

When you find the Easter egg, take a screen shot and save it! You can save your screen shots to a shareable folder I made on my OneDrive here. Please format the name as "YourSGName_EESS." I'll be checking file size, time stamps, etc., so no fair sending a screen shot for a friend to use. Let's make this fair and honest. After the event is done, I will use a random number generator against the list of people that found the Easter Egg to do a special bonus GA for that select group! I don't even know what the GA is yet, but it will be something pretty decent.

Note: there were some concerns about the OneDrive shared folder and being able to view people's details in the file attributes and link this back to their SG id (since it's part of the file name). That's the way that file sharing works (because you have to be able to tell if someone else has edited your file, etc.) and in fact all major file sharing that provides folders (like Dropbox, etc.) works like this. But, I totally get the concern, so I've created a private folder and am only using the shared folder for uploads. As the files come in, I'm moving them to the private folder so that no one can look at the file attributes of anyone else's screen shot.

Best of luck finding the Easter Egg!

Trivia

• The Creepy Art Gallery contains 42 unique pieces of art, as well as three sculptures
  • The Doll House has 15 unique pieces of wall art
  • Over 250 of the >400 graphics used in the game were manually compressed to reduce the resource load
  • All custom graphics were created and/or edited with either (or both) MSPaint and Powerpoint
  • Each of the thousands of objects in the dungeon (e.g., NPC, wall torch, creepy fog, etc.) was placed individually and manually scaled/rotated/etc.
  • Keeping track of all of the dependencies (e.g., what object works with which NPC) and associations (e.g., which GA goes into which chest and where it's located) for the adventure required an Excel spreadsheet and eight sheets of notes
  • Edge was used almost exclusively as the browser during creation; this was to ensure that when obtaining png graphics, they would be saved in their native format and not be converted to webp (which happens frequently in Chrome). Consequently, I also used bing as my search engine, and racked up almost 600 bing Rewards points while searching for graphics for the game. :D

P.S. Be sure to check the comments in the GAs for chances at additional games! Dys has added bonus GAs to every GA outside of the treasure room! That's 61 additional GAs!

View attached image.
4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

I absolutely loved this. Thanks so much to everyone involved; this was a wonderful gift to our community!

4 years ago

So glad that you had a good time! Thanks for playing...knowing that people are enjoying events like this are why I make them. 😁😎

4 years ago

Thanks so much for this event, it was a lot a fun :)

4 years ago

You're welcome! Congrats on a successful run!

4 years ago

Bump! I missed 3 somehow! xD I might replay through tomorrow. It got a bit laggy for me at one point. @_@ Super fun though. Thank you!!!

4 years ago

Congrats! Glad you had fun!

4 years ago

Finally finished it and got 121/121 but only got 57th of 120 - lots of backtracking :(. Found the Easter Egg early on as well.

4 years ago

Nice! Congrats on a great run!

4 years ago

Stuck for now so I'm taking a break. Brilliant demented work, Grez, as always πŸ‘πŸΌ

4 years ago

😈😈😈😈😈😁😁😁😁😁

Thanks! And let me know if you get really, really stuck. I've been giving out hints here and there. Getting stuck for too long kills the fun. :)

Oh, wait, will you look at that? You dropped something: πŸ’™

πŸ˜‰

4 years ago

Aww that's sweet. Thanks.
And I think I'll try on my own again tonight before asking for hints. I'm just enjoying it too much to try and cheat already :D

4 years ago

Hard one. Got to mad doctor but got stuck there.

4 years ago

There are a few hints on this one throughout the comments on this thread. But the short version is: pay attention to what he tells you...this lets you know who you should seek out for help. Once you've been to this part of the Psyche Ward, another part of the dungeon has opened up for you, and when you explore it, you'll be able to find the next NPC that you should talk to...

4 years ago

I'm 60 / 57 and I see a big gate but I got only keys and a pretty mask and I think there is no way to open that gate :P

4 years ago

Thanks for the event! It was a fun ride.

I finally managed to finish it, and while trying to find the easter egg on the 2nd playthrough I accidentally stumbled upon it.

4 years ago

Thanks, and great job! Yeah, the Easter Egg was a last-minute addition, but I'm glad that I did it...it ended up being a lot of fun. Plus, it's a reflection of the very silly person that I am, so there's that. :D

4 years ago

Thank you very much for the funny Dungeon Adventure.and all the giveaways.

4 years ago

You're welcome - glad you liked it!

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Done! Thank you, it was very fun!

Somehow managed to find everything despite the (unintentionally?) pitch black room.

4 years ago

Heh I saw you a bunch.

4 years ago

Same, nice meeting you!

4 years ago

Place 35
121/121 chests, but I found the secret.
Nice dungeon!

4 years ago

Thanks! Congrats on a really great run through the dungeon!

4 years ago

Hello, Grez,
Your Dungeon Adventure is quite captivating. Thank you very much for it!
I haven’t completed it yet and have some questions for you, if you don’t mind.
In the area with ghosts I met 5 of them. I found and brought the items for 4 of them, except for the engagement ring for Innocent ghost. When the gate got opened, I went to explore another area with the clowns, but when I returned to Innocent ghost, it wasn’t there. I’ve been writing down positions of all important locations. Innocent ghost was supposed to be around x78 y73 but disappeared without me giving it the engagement ring first. I also haven’t found the ring too. How could this happen?
Also please tell me where to look for Chandler that a clown blocking a switch in Break Room asked for.

4 years ago

The innocent-looking ghost was playing a joke on you. There's no engagement ring. She was fooling you into walking into the jump-scare at the back of the hallway. But, when you exit, she gives you the doll that you need to bring to the little girl ghost, so you're still rewarded for having been the target of her prank. :) In the text when you pick up the "groom" doll, it tells you that she leaves the room laughing, probably preparing for her next prank. ;) So, if you've already given the groom doll to the little girl ghost, then you're all done with both her and the innocent-looking ghost (named as such because she's not so innocent at all :D :D :D).

As for Chandler, he's very close to Ted the Swearing Clown, who is looking for him. Once you help the other three clowns in the break room as Ted has asked you to, and flipped the switches behind each one, you'll have access to an area that was blocked off previously (just look around the break room). You'll find Chandler in there.

Hope that helps!

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Thank you very much for your reply, Grez!
I’ve completed the dungeon. It was an awesome adventure and I really enjoyed it but, unfortunately, my stats show that I found only 119 treasures :((
I have a hunch that I missed 2 treasures somewhere in the area with ghosts. I had 59 links to your giveaways in the inventory before entering the final treasure room.
Can you please tell me where I could miss 2 treasures? I’m just very curious about it.

4 years ago*

You're welcome, and I'm glad that you had fun!

As for where you missed things...well, that could be a lot of places. I had one player that had accidentally not opened one of the treasures in the treasure room! Doh! :D

If you're really curious, hit me up on Steam IM and I can send you the list of games since you've already finished. You can figure out which ones you missed, and I can likely tell you where you should look for those if you decide to give it a second run. πŸ‘ŒπŸ»

4 years ago

Ok, I’ll send you my friend invite ;)

4 years ago

Woo! Finished in 11th place! ^_^ Thanks for the ride!

4 years ago

Wow, great finish! Congrats!

4 years ago

Bump for solved!
Thanks so much, it was a lot of fun :D
I got 121/121 and the easter egg so I think I found everything! (I saw afterwards that some people got more than 121 so maybe I missed something?)
Favourite line: "my sister, who is a biiiitch" coming from that ghost, LOL

4 years ago

Lol, glad someone appreciated that. And, of course, her sister who says the exact same thing. The old "three sides to every story" thing. :)

Congrats on a nice run!

4 years ago

It's just a bug apparently, to do with Grez fixing the dungeon while it was already open to the public.

https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/IlKBh/enter-grezs-halloween-2019-dungeon-adventure-oct-7-nov-1-lvl-1/search?page=6#yZLw9jj

4 years ago

Bump! Missed a few treasures but I had fun. Although I hate jumpscares so the dark room was horrible for me ; A ;

4 years ago

Everyone loves to hate jumpscares. Except the author. They always love jumpscares. πŸ˜ˆπŸ˜πŸ€£πŸ‘»

Glad you had fun, and congrats on finishing!

4 years ago

Great dungeon, thanks for the event!

4 years ago

You're welcome - glad you liked it!

4 years ago

Thanks for another real fun event, Grez!

This one sure was tricky; I did it over two sessions and was constantly convinced I missed stuff. The lever in the Art Gallery made me question everything. lol

And now I have a nice Excel floorplan to remember it by. :p

View attached image.
4 years ago

Why the lever in the Art Gallery made you question everything?

4 years ago

Cause it didn't seem to do anything.

4 years ago

A man after my own heart with that Excel map! LOL

I'm glad that you liked it. I wanted this one to be more challenging than the last one that I did. I'm not sure when I'll have time to do another one on this scale, but I have keys in themed bunches for a couple of other events, so there may be something else late this year or early next year on a somewhat smaller scale. :)

Congrats on the excellent run!

4 years ago

quick question before I exit: can I access the GAs in inventory after I exit?

4 years ago

You can.

4 years ago

Yes, you can. Once you go through the exit portal, you'll get your stats, and then you'll have a button that looks like a trophy that you can click for a pop-up window with all of your treasures in it. πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘πŸ»

4 years ago

Ha, I'm so bad at this. I can access the psyche ward but when I click the doors I can only knock on them. There are 2 levers I mess around with but it seems to be getting me no where except for access to a handful of giveaways. There is like a black looking gate on the northside but it doesn't seem to open. I have Brainz, severed arms, and drugs. Is there some combination of the 2 levers that will get me access to advance? I think I've spent nearly 2 hours to get access to 7 giveaways! I really suck @ this.

4 years ago

didn't you pick a bunch of keys before? use it on the doors

and use the map to find your way around, it helps

4 years ago

I'll have a look later. I never found any keys so far.

4 years ago

Lol, ok, let's see if we can get you unstuck.

First of all, you're probably making the doors too difficult. Have you found a ring of keys yet? If you found that other stuff, then you almost certainly have. All of the locked doors in the psyche ward open with that ring of keys. After that, you'll probably know what to do with all of the other stuff you've already found. :)

4 years ago

Lol. I finally found the keys earlier but it ended up crashing on me. I will go on later. I don't know how I missed those keys but at least I figured it out.

4 years ago

πŸ‘πŸ»

Well, let me know if you get stuck again. :)

4 years ago

Now I am left with dentures and scissors........
And have not encountered anyone (yet) who needed them.....

Stuck again.

Never mind, unstuck now!

View attached image.
4 years ago*

@grez1 - I got on the adventure early and found the easter egg by coincidentally seeing you in the dungeon, but then real life came up I couldn't get time to finish it until now. I appreciate the effort very much, even if horror games are not my thing. Still it's awesome to see someone care so much, never expected some placeholder to turn out to be this interesting :D

4 years ago

lol, well I'm certainly happy that this ended up being an interesting placeholder. :D :D :D

I love that you found the Easter egg by seeing me running around in there. That's hilarious.I never even thought about that possibility. Glad that you were able to eventually finish it up!

4 years ago

Nice dungeon - thanks for all the effort you put in.

Hmm... found the easter egg, but am having trouble uploading to onedrive - stuck at "0 bytes/403 KB"

4 years ago

Hmmm, that's weird. Well, if you keep having trouble, hit me up on Steam IM and you can get the screen shot to me that way and I'll throw it into the OneDrive folder for you.

4 years ago

That would be very much appreciated, thank you. I'll send a friend request now.

4 years ago

Thanks for the dungeon, found 121/121 treasures and the easter egg :D

4 years ago

Nice! Congrats!

4 years ago

121/121 + easter egg. Thank you grez! Well done! And thank you dys for your contributions (and happy cake day!)!

4 years ago

You're welcome! Congrats on a killer finish!

4 years ago

Missed one but I call it a day. Thank you for the effort you put into.
It can help spend lots of points if you're into the horror genre.

4 years ago

You're welcome! Glad that you had fun, and missing one is still a really good finish. Congrats and good luck with the GAs!

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.