Enhanced SteamGifts & SteamTrades (ESGST)

An extension / userscript that adds some cool features to SteamGifts and SteamTrades.

If you find any bugs or have any feature requests, please file an issue here.

Compatibility

Tested and confirmed as working:

• Chrome (since v55)
  • Firefox (since v52)
  • Pale Moon

Not tested but should be working:

• Any Chromium-based browser (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...)

Not supported:

• Edge
  • Safari

Installation

There are two different ways to use ESGST: extension or userscript. You can choose which one you want to use, but the extension is a lot faster and has a better peformance than the userscript, so I recommend it, although there is no major difference between them, except for a few options that are only available in the extension because of limitations in the userscript.

Option 1 - Extension

It should be possible to install the extension in any Chromium-based browser from the Chrome store (such as Opera, Vivaldi, etc...), any Firefox-based browser from the Firefox store (such as Waterfox, etc...), and any browser that uses the Phoebus system from the Pale Moon store (such as Basilik, etc...).

You can also use the extension on Android through Firefox for Android, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Option 2 - Userscript

To install the userscript, you must install Violentmonkey, Tampermonkey, Greasemonkey or some other userscript manager first. Then click here and you should be prompted to install it. I recommend Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey, because the userscript uses the GM_addValueChangeListener API to communicate changes in the storage between tabs, and that API is not available on Greasemonkey, so a polyfill is used for Greasemonkey, which is not very effective and can affect the performance.

You can also use the userscript on Android through Firefox with Violentmonkey or USI, but some features might not work or not be optimized enough for mobile.

Beta Versions

The latest beta version for both the extension and the userscript is always available in the latest pre-release in the releases page.

7 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Do i need to sync my hidden games list every time i add another game to that list to make ESGST show "hidden" tag for that game?
Maybe there is an option to add game i hide to ESGST at the same time?

Sorry if asked already. Just installed your script and lost in amount of various settings... :)

P.S. Happy Cake Day btw!

5 years ago

At the moment, yes. I was going to implement an option to add the games immediately when the hide button is pressed, but forgot about it. I'll add it to my todo list.

And thanks!

5 years ago

Will wait for upcoming updates.
Asked about this feature because my hidden games list contains almost 11k items and sync takes more time than all other sync items combined.

Also i saw request that ESGST doesn't detect some owned packages in giveaways extractor. I can confirm that. This package not filtered as owned for me.

5 years ago

Hi revilheart.

Ever since I switched to the extension version the Steam button on the Won Giveaways page doesn't open the Steam Client Product Activation window anymore (it does still copy the key to clipboard); is this a known limitation?

I also noticed that the Changelog on this page ends at version 7.17.8. :)

Thanks again for all your amazing work.

5 years ago

I think the Steam client had an issue with that. Is this still a problem?

5 years ago

As of today it still did not bring up the Activation window. I just checked; my Steam Client is up to date and I am using ESGST 7.22.

If I don't forget then next time I'll see what happens when I click the icon without the client running.

5 years ago

This is definitely an issue with the Steam client. Or the browser. Because if I paste steam://open/activateproduct on my browser URL it also doesn't work.

5 years ago

I tried steam://open/activateproduct in both Firefox and Chrome and neither worked.

5 years ago

5 years ago

Hi revilheart.
From last 3 days ESGST is stuck on creating/saving backup data dialog box.
I left one tab for 3-4 hrs and still same info was shown.

5 years ago

Please check the console log when it happens (Ctrl + Shift + J).

5 years ago

There are multiple error messages.

View attached image.
5 years ago

None of them appear to come from ESGST, but I see that one of them says that blob is not supported in your platform. What browser are you using?

5 years ago

Firefox DE 62.0b4 (64-bit)
I saw that other tab had some contributed to the errors generated. That's why I updated the earlier comment with new snapshot with only SG running.
This snapshot that I have posted in this comment is of when I freshly ran my browser with only SG running.

View attached image.
5 years ago

What's DE? But I guess it doesn't matter, since v62 should be supported.

Those errors still don't look related. Errors from ESGST should come from esgst.js, and you can see those errors come from start.js and background.js. The blob one was the one that caught my attention because it doesn't say where it comes from.

You took these after trying to backup, right?

The last update was 8 days ago, so it's odd that this is an error on ESGST, since you said it only started 3 days ago. Are you backing up to the computer or to the cloud?

5 years ago

Its the Developer Edition.

The problem occurs when ESGST performs auto-backup. I am not sure but is background.js related to any of the theme included in ESGST?

By 3 days I mean I started getting annoyed by it. Its more than 3 days. I am backing the data to pc.

View attached image.
View attached image.
5 years ago

No, ESGST doesn't have any script named background.js, that's coming from somewhere else.

If you're backing to the PC then a download dialog should appear immediately, so I think this is really about the blob error, because the script creates a blob to be downloaded. I'll have to download the developer edition and test it myself, I think the problem might be in the browser.

5 years ago

I see, thanks for looking to it :)

5 years ago

Question: have you successfully backed up at all since the .zip format was introduced? I'm currently using Nightly and it's taking very long to backup .zip files.

Anyways, the latest version backs up .json files by default, like it used to in the past, and now users have to opt-in to backing up as .zip in the settings menu, since it appears Firefox has some serious performance issues with the compression method.

5 years ago

Wasn't aware of zip format. The last backup was on 2018-05-18 (weekly auto-backup). No new backups are created since then and all the backup are on .json. So the issue may have been introduced after that date.
I have updated ESGST to newest version. No auto-backup message is displayed and also no error messages. Ran the manual backup, it works perfectly. Previously "Blob error" was shown on console while doing a manual backup.
So like you said it might be because of .zip format and the compression.
Thanks for looking into it revilheart.

BTW issues regarding user tags mentioned below are gone. It works fine now. And will you be able to add a autocomplete feature on usertags textbox in the future update?

5 years ago

Sure, I can add that.

5 years ago

The autocomplete feature has been added.

5 years ago

Hey revilheart. I am again running into some issues. I am not sure why it is behaving like that but for certain users there is no icon/button for adding user tags.
For first one there is no option to add user tag while others like 2nd pic have option to add tags

View attached image.
View attached image.
5 years ago

v7.25.0 introduced quite a few bugs. Some of them, including yours, will be fixed in the next version.

5 years ago

Happy cake day!

5 years ago

Thanks a lot for the extension! :) Very useful! Just one thing, and sorry if it's already a feature that I missed... Could you possibly add a "points to spend to win" box to giveaways, that either replaces or is put next to "chance to win?" Meaning how many points you'd have to spend to win the game, on average?
The formula: Points / Copies x Entries. IMO, this value is even more important than "chance to win," because it tells you whether that particular giveaway is worth participating in. "Chance to win" usually doesn't give you much concrete info, it's almost always a very small number.

5 years ago

I don't remember the formula for it, but have you checked chance per point? It appears when you hover over the global chance. I'll check the formula later, if it's not the same as the one you posted I'll think about adding it.

5 years ago

I forgot about chance per point, that is indeed a more specific value indicator. However, points to spend to win is more specific, as it's a much higher number that lets you evaluate how many points you think each game is worth. Hypothetically, I can have my own rule that says if a giveaway's points to win is higher than 7000, it's going to have to be a game I really really want. So if I see a game with 8000 points to win, and it's a game I don't really want that badly, I'm instantly going to ignore it. Makes looking through giveaways a breeze.

5 years ago

This feature was added to the latest version, it's called Giveaway Points To Win.

5 years ago

Thanks! And yes, points to win after joining is of course the right option.

5 years ago

Some people prefer to see it as without joining, which is why it's an option instead of a forced behavior.

5 years ago

That's fine. I'm not complaining about more customization! :)

5 years ago

Noooo Iost all my bookmarks and settings again :(
and my last backup is from 3 days ago even though it was set to save every day. Damn, same thing happened at the last update. What am I doing wrong? (sorry for all the whining but I came to rely so much on the extension, it's brilliant)

5 years ago

can't help you, Fluffster, but thanks for the backup remainder :D

5 years ago

lol prego ;)

5 years ago

No idea. You just opened it today and everything was gone? Did you not notice the backup window not appearing in the last 3 days? Also, are you on the extension or on the userscript? I hope you didn't lose too much, if your last backup was 3 days ago, your settings and most of your bookmarks are still there, you just need to restore it.

5 years ago

My laptop is idle sometimes so I don't always see the backup window but I usually check that a file has been created, which I didn't this week. Boo to me.
I am using the extension but it's probably just my old broke-ass laptop. My gaming rig has been in the shop a while so I'm using an old Dell I have and I can only run Firefox 53.
I restored and it's fine really. Just lost some bookmarks I guess but it's not as if they were secret GAs with 2 entries lol
Same thing happened with the last update. So I guess I'll just keep an eye on the backup for next time.
Thanks a lot for the good work :)

5 years ago

is there a way to sync ESGST settings across 2 computers?

5 years ago

Backup from one computer and restore from the other. Using one of the cloud services prevents you from having to copy the file between the computers.

5 years ago

I have only been getting a loading for the IsThereAnyDeal data for a few week now. Am I the only one with this issue? ESGST v7220 with tampermonkey

5 years ago

Worked fine for me just now. Look for errors in the console log (Ctrl + Shift + J).

5 years ago

Ah, I have a few errors. I didn't have bartervg.com whitelisted for tampermonkey. And error on saying https//www.streamtrades.com is blacklisted but I don't see where it is blacklisted and it is on my whitelist already.

5 years ago

It was indeed an issue, I had not realized they changed the way the site looks a bit. Should be working fine in the latest version.

5 years ago

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. how does this work? Like does it keep chrome running, or does it become a background process.

How does the message notification work? sends email, text msg, etc?

If this works like i think it does, I may install a bare bones Linux on vmware to run it. I dont like having my steam account logged in on my pc kids and stuff using my nice pc, could be a bad day for my inventory / rep should they find the site :)

5 years ago

No, that's not how extensions work. It only works while the browser and SG tabs are open. And obviously, it only works in the open SG tabs.

It works as browser notifications (the same way that YouTube notifications work, for example).

5 years ago

Okay, that what I was thinking, just was unsure how the push system worked for the notifications.

I have plans to leaving a virtual machine running with the browser and tabs open.

Do you know if there is a way to hook the notification system of chrome, firefox etc.. to an email system so it will send an email? when it pushes the notification?

I have an addiction to for checking msg on steamtrades. ;)

Thanks for your time and reply.

5 years ago

I don't think an email system is doable with only the client side, since I don't have a server.

5 years ago

Would it be possible to make the "Chance per Point" switch between Advanced Formula (based on entries and timeleft) and the current chance (based only on entries)? If not, which one does it uses as default?

5 years ago

Yes, it's possible. At the moment chance per point uses whatever formula you have as default.

5 years ago

You can now see both. When you hover over the chance you should now see something like "0% basic and 0% advanced per point". When using the filters, there is now a filter called Projected Chance Per Point that uses the advanced formula, while the Chance Per Point filter now always uses the basic formula regardless of which one you have as default.

5 years ago

Is it possible to hide a specific giveaway? I do not want to hide the game, only the specific giveaway of the game.

5 years ago

There are two icons of crossed eye near the name of every giveaway (one is on the left and the second on the right of the name). One is for hiding the game and the second for hiding the particular giveaway.

I am not just sure if you have to activate it in ESGST settings, though.

5 years ago

I'm only seeing one button for hiding. Cannot find the setting in settings - could you check your settings?

5 years ago

Unfortunately, I am not able to find it. Sorry. :(

5 years ago

2.17.1 Single Filters

5 years ago

Thanks!

5 years ago

Does the ESGST synchronize games marked as "Steam is learning about this game"? (With or without Steam API Key?)

Would it be possible to make ESGST automatically "filter" owned games and DLC's? Filter as in adding the game or DLC to the Giveaway filters here: https://www.steamgifts.com/account/settings/giveaways/filters

5 years ago

I'm not familiar with those games, can you link a Steam page to one?

5 years ago

Just check put the latest Indiegala Bundle, half the games is marked as so. One example is https://store.steampowered.com/app/877190/Flamebound/

5 years ago

I don't think there's anything special about them, in terms of API detecting: https://store.steampowered.com/api/appdetails?appids=877190 The link you posted is already used by ESGST.

5 years ago

Awesome Thank you. I’ll check it out later :-)

5 years ago

Hello. I'm confused using "region restricted" filter. How it works? So far it seems it just hide/show all region restricted GAs, while i'm looking for hide/show region restricted GAs that available/not available to me to enter.
I'm speaking mainly about giveaway extractor cause in main pages wrong regions GAs already hidden.

5 years ago

That's how it works. Hiding only ones that are not available for your region is a bit more complicated. Though for Giveaway Extractor I could make it work.

5 years ago

It would be nice. Thank you.

5 years ago

I added an "Enterable" filter. You can use this to show only giveaways that you can enter.

5 years ago

I'm getting a false "owned" for Bastion. Don't know if it's relevant, but I suppose it's good to report.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Did you try syncing your games?

5 years ago

Yup, sync'd SG and ESGST, but no change

5 years ago

Today i got false "owned" tag for this game.
I'm sure yesterday there was no such tag for this game
Sync not changed anything

View attached image.
5 years ago

Should be fixed in the latest.

5 years ago

I also noticed false 'Owned' tags for Little Nightmares, multiple Neptunia games and some others.

5 years ago*

Would you be willing to help me find the issue (you would need to install a different version of the script)? Or any of you who are having the problem.

5 years ago

I think if you just send me your main game data I can try to reproduce it (if you go to the settings menu and backup Games -> Main and upload it somewhere).

5 years ago

Should be fixed in the latest. Thanks for the help!

5 years ago

5 years ago

The owned tag is gone, thanks.

5 years ago

Can anyone explain me what Endless Scrolling for Giveaway Encrypter/Decrypter, Extractor and Filters (1.8.5 till 1.8.7) does? I couldn't find any difference if these options are enabled or disabled. Encryptor and Extractor are always endless scroll-able and I've no idea what the last one for filters should do.

5 years ago

It refers to the popups of those features:

• Giveaway Encrypter/Decrypter - The popup that you get by clicking the star at the top of the page.
  • Giveaway Extractor - The popup that you get when extracting the giveaways.
  • Giveaway Filters - The popup that you get by going to the settings menu and viewing the list of single giveaways that you have hidden.

In those popups, if you scroll down to the end, the green button that allows you to load more content is automatically triggered.

5 years ago

Thanks for the explanation.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago*

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Can you help me with filters please?

My current setup: https://imgur.com/hFAT7tA

I see only level 6 giveaways and all giveaways with 3 or more copies. And now I'd like to hide all entered giveaways. But how?

5 years ago

1. Change the main group to AND.
  2. Add a new group.
  3. Change the new group to OR.
  4. Move the level and copies rules to the new group.
  5. Add a new rule with Entered set to false.

The logic you want is: entered = false AND (level >= 6 OR copies >= 3)

If you read the manual of the feature you can see how you can turn this logic into the rules.

5 years ago

Thank you!

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

With last update I can`t see wishlisted tag.

5 years ago

Or tags for achievements, dlc, and trading cards...

5 years ago

Some games load tags and others do not for some reason
After turning off 7.2.2 Show categories in real time it was working again.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

First one has no impact, it's a bug caused by the second one.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

5 years ago

Thank you

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

2.18.2.9 does not work anymore

5 years ago

What do you mean?

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Are you using advanced formula? If so, you need to change Chance to Projected Chance.

5 years ago

indeed, that's it. Thank you 👍

5 years ago

What this Projected Chance means? How it counts?

5 years ago

Chance -> Basic Chance (2.25)
Projected Chance -> Advanced Chance (2.25.2)

5 years ago

So it is impossible to use Basic Chance (2.25) in advanced filters now? There is "Chance" in the list but it seems my old rule stop working.

5 years ago

No, there's still Chance. Projected Chance is an addition. What do you mean they stopped working?

5 years ago

I used this filters https://imgur.com/a/IzZm6ew After update (7.24.0) it looked like Chance filter stopped working (like on LoGa16's screenshot) but after replacement Chance filter with Projected Chance it works.
Upd. Well I tried Chance filter again and it works fine now. Sorry for disturbing.

PS I just found out that you can move the element around by dragging and dropping it. It is very cool. Thank you.

5 years ago

Probably you used advanced chance? Not sure, but glad it's working again.

5 years ago

Did the new version (7.24.0) break the ability to display which items have trading cards, or did the API server just go down? I've reloaded the page many times, and only saw the trading cards icons once.

5 years ago

It's a bug, as you can see a few comments above. Disable 7.2.2 until it's fixed.

5 years ago

Thanks for the prompt reply! I'll find the prior version and install it.

5 years ago

There's no need to find prior version. Like I said, you just need to disable 7.2.2 (the option in the settings menu). It will be fixed in the next version.

5 years ago

Oh! I was thinking version number, not option number, so my brain misread 7.2.2 as 7.24. :) Thanks again!
(The option appears to be 8.2.2 on my installation. Section 7 is "Groups")

5 years ago

Ah, yes, SteamTrades users have an extra "Trades" section, forgot to mention that.

5 years ago

I've never actually used SteamTrades, but ESGST has always displayed the options for both sites. I don't remember doing anything to select which sites are active in the script. Maybe I'm just forgetting something I did on initial install.

5 years ago

There's an option in the settings menu, Others.14. It's enabled by default.

5 years ago

There it is. Thank you once again.

5 years ago

Hey guys, does anyone know a profile page that has a mix of received and not received winners in the 3 winners that are displayed in the page? For science. Thanks.

5 years ago

Nevermind lol, already found one.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

so it seems isthereanydeal.com changed something and its not working with ESGST and others anymore
any chance you can look at this?

5 years ago

5 years ago

yep, can confirm.
keep on rocking!!

5 years ago

it seems there is something wrong with the filtering
when I filter for Trading Cards it shows how many are filtered out, but they are still in the list (when I filter for all which don't have trading cards it works though)
other filters seems unaffected (at least I haven't found one who acts similar)

Edit: okey, seems to be not as easy
Sometimes it doesn't work at all

5 years ago*

Try the latest version.

5 years ago

it seems that the firefox expansion isn't available anymore?

5 years ago

What?

5 years ago

"Page not found"

😕

5 years ago

Mozilla disabled it until I do some things that they asked. :/ It's weird that they're only asking this now, since they already distribute it for almost 6 months now, but I'm trying to comply with their requirements as fast as I can.

Question though: did you lose the add-on or you simply can't update it?

5 years ago

I just can't update but the extension still work fine 👍
I'm going to make a backup and use userscript for now.
Thanks revil ^^

5 years ago

I guess I got it in a narrow window when it was available earlier today or something because it updated like normal but it doesn't work, so I don't know what I really got. Now if I go to steamgifts with it enabled, the page never finishes loading, using up 50% CPU and locking up the browser so I have to kill it. Could you provide it on github like you used to? I think it was an xpi file that you just dragged into the browser.

5 years ago

5 years ago

Hmmmm...same thing, maybe something else is going on -- could I have an xpi for 7.24.0? That was working before the update.

5 years ago

That's a little bit harder for me. Can you open the browser console and see if there's any useful information there? Also, does it happen on every page? Even simple ones like this: https://www.steamgifts.com/account

5 years ago

I was able to load that page, although it seemed like it needed to use more resources than normal before finally settling down. Not quite sure what to look at in the browser console. There are some warnings, but I'm not sure if they're for ESGST:

Warning: attempting to write 5959 bytes to preference extensions.xpiState. This is bad for general performance and memory usage. Such an amount of data should rather be written to an external file. This preference will not be sent to any content processes.
1532477913726   addons.webextension.{71de700c-ca62-4e31-9de6-93e3c30633d6}  WARN    Loading extension '{71de700c-ca62-4e31-9de6-93e3c30633d6}': Reading manifest: Error processing background.persistent: Event pages are not currently supported. This will run as a persistent background page.
1532477913762   addons.webextension.{71de700c-ca62-4e31-9de6-93e3c30633d6}  WARN    Loading extension '{71de700c-ca62-4e31-9de6-93e3c30633d6}': Reading manifest: Error processing permissions.18: Unknown permission "unlimitedStorage"
1532477913810   addons.webextension.{71de700c-ca62-4e31-9de6-93e3c30633d6}  WARN    Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.

Looking for references to ESGST, there's:
JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data esgst.js:1929

and many:

Unchecked lastError value: Error: Could not establish connection. Receiving end does not exist. ExtensionCommon.jsm:265
Unchecked lastError value: Error: esgst.storage is undefined  ExtensionCommon.jsm:265
5 years ago

Looks like there's an issue loading your storage. Did you make a backup recently?

5 years ago

I thought I did but I don't see it on Google Drive, so I guess it didn't work the other day -- I may have a much older one somewhere. So you think my storage data got corrupted or something? ...because if I load that simple page I can still see my ESGST giveaway bookmarks and if I go to the backup data option it shows ~3MB total of all kinds of data.

5 years ago

Well, if you're seeing your storage then it's being accessed, so I have no idea where those errors are coming from... This started immediately when you updated to the latest version?

5 years ago

Yeah, right after I updated, and the v7.24.0 xpi is working fine, so thanks very much for that!!

5 years ago

Here's the one for v7.24.0: https://github.com/revilheart/ESGST/blob/master/esgst-7.24.3-an%2Bfx.xpi Don't worry about the 7.24.3 number, Mozilla doesn't allow uploading the same version twice, so I had to change that number, but internally it's v7.24.0.

5 years ago

ESGST

Page not found

5 years ago

Read above.

5 years ago

Would it be possible under 7.2 Game Categories introduce the category "steam is learning about this game" to mark these games?

5 years ago

Added. It's called "Learning".

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

"Filter out useless descriptions." should make that button appear.

5 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.