So I decided to create a curator group: Under 250.

Group page: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/under250
Curator: https://store.steampowered.com/curator/33447839/

The premise is simple: every week (life permitting) I'll pick 1-2 indie games that I've enjoyed and feel that they deserve a bit more love. To keep it from devolving into a horrible mess, there will be some general guidelines which are as follows:

• Not in Early Access
  • No new releases; must be on Steam for at least 3 months.
  • Limited amount of Steam reviews; Target: < 250

While these are guidelines and not set in stone, I'll be rather strict in adhering to them. The reason for the first guideline is that I don't want to waste my time with an unfinished game; no point in playing and reviewing a game if there is a chance of it going to shit a few months later (i.e. The Culling). For the other two, they are there because I don't want to promote a game that doesn't need the help. There is no point in telling the world that Rocket League or Hitman are great games since most people are somewhat aware of them and probably already own them.

That is it! If you are interested in getting a sneak peak at what I plan on reviewing next, I have a list that you can find here.
To entice you all to join, I have made a group giveaway for Dishonored 2 that you can find here: https://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/AUxZc/dishonored-2
Thanks for reading and have a great day!

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Reserved for no apparent raisin.

5 years ago*

Late night bump!

5 years ago

Bump!

5 years ago

Any currant news?

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

5 years ago

Bump!

5 years ago

5 years ago

Bump!

5 years ago

Bump!

5 years ago

Bump!

5 years ago

Bump for new gib.

5 years ago

Bump for new gib.

5 years ago

Bump!

5 years ago

Raisins are a great snack.

5 years ago

Raisins are like the small indie treat of the snack world. They're not backed by the big boys like potato chips or cookies.

5 years ago

+1

5 years ago

I like raisins, but not when in something else (cookies, cinnamon bread, etc). I have problems.
Thanks for GAs and good luck w/ the group.

5 years ago

Followed.
Can't wait to have hidden gems show up on my store page now :3

5 years ago

Great idea. Nice surprise to see you have a huge list of promising looking candidates too. Looking forward to it :)

5 years ago

Not that you were asking here, but Ascender!

5 years ago

I really like well done indie titles so you have my support. Joined and followed.

5 years ago

I guess someone is overlooking the rulebooks :D

5 years ago

Thank you, I love finding indie curators!

But uh... no raisins for me.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Bump! 😊 👍

5 years ago

Joined! Bump~

5 years ago

Bump!

5 years ago

Joined and bump

5 years ago

Bump

5 years ago

Bump :)

5 years ago

Hmm... Can you explain a bit more about not backed by major publisher? In the past before Steam Direct, quite a number of indie game needs to be backed by reputable publisher to have a chance to be on Steam at all, when then game is made by a single person and they don't have the skills to promote their own game.

5 years ago*

I'll keep this brief, in part due to the fact that I'm still grappling with this idea but also the fact that I'm dead tired and need sleep :P.

Essentially, I want to disqualify any game that has received the support, whether it be financial or in kind, from a "large" publishing company. So while you will never see an Assassin's Creed game into the mix, this would also disqualify a game like Children of Zodiarcs which meets every other criterion (and kickstarted to boot), but it is part of the SE collective and was heavily promoted by SE.

What constitutes a "large" publisher is subjective and there is a case to be made that not all indie games are treated equally by their own publishers. Generally speaking, I will be checking to see if said publisher is either large structurally (i.e. well financed, with years of experience and a wealth of resources at their disposal) or institutionally (an otherwise small publisher that dominates the space they're in). To the former, I would add companies like THQ Nordic, Focus Home Interactive, Kalypso Media and Devolver Digital and the latter I'm thinking companies like MangaGamer, Sekai Project and Daedalic Entertainment. Again, this is not set in stone and depending on the feedback I get, I may relax this restriction or get rid of it all together.

5 years ago*

Alright, so I got a bit of sleep and some more feedback from others and I'm leaning towards dropping this restriction all together. The general consensus has been that not all games are treated equal by their publishers and that it would be best to go on a case by case basis rather than apply a blanket ban. While not all publishers are created equal, the three remaining points should do a well enough job of filtering out the well known titles, making the restriction redundant. I'll still keep in mind the amount of support that the developers got from a publisher when deciding if they deserve a spot, but I won't automatically ignore them for it.

Any thoughts on the matter? Sorry to put you on the spot, but you did ask about it :p.

5 years ago*

Well, I just simply want to promote a game that is good but not known by too many people, regardless of the publisher. Even if the game was advertised well, if it didn't get too much review, it's still worth having a look at and promote them if it's indeed good.

5 years ago

After a bit more thought, I agree. I have revised the guidelines and removed the publishers bit. Thank you for everything :).

5 years ago

This is absolutely up my alley. Bring on the niche indies!

5 years ago

Nice idea, I am in! :D

Cheers!

5 years ago

So, no negative reviews, just a curated collection of hidden gems/unsung heroes?

5 years ago

Pretty much. While negative reviews have their place, I'm aiming to highlight some of the best games that have been crowded out by all the trash on Steam. By adding negative reviews into the mix, I feel that it would needlessly add clutter and distract from the games that truly deserve the attention.

5 years ago*

Fair enough. Sounds like a good idea.

5 years ago

I'm excited you decided to jump into the project :3 Followed, I can't wait to see your recs ;) Best of luck Cj

5 years ago

:bump:

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

5 years ago

pubm

5 years ago

Bring them, indies, on!

5 years ago

reeally noice! i'm in!

edit:

I don't want to promote a game that doesn't need the help

this is gold. and kinda rare ;)

5 years ago*

Great idea, thanks. Will save me having to sort through them myself.

5 years ago

How did one of your reviews ended banned? First time I see a review ban tbh.

Good luck with the curator group. I may go to the thread and suggest some games that met the requirements :)

5 years ago

I'm just replying because I'd like to hear a bit more about as well - please, dear reader, just boop me if there is any new about the banned review.

5 years ago

Boop.

5 years ago

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure but I guess Disney was not happy with it.
Review in question: https://steamcommunity.com/id/cjcomplex/recommended/561100/

The clip is from Futurama where Tinny Tim says: "You've raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly sir. Bravo!". Pretty much sums up my feelings to what they did to one of my childhood favourites: Aladdin.

They could probably argue that it is not a true review or that it contains unlicensed 3rd party content, but banning it outright seems a bit much. Honestly, having the review banned does not bother me. It just breaks my heart that a game that I absolutely adored as a kid was brought back to life as a cheap pile of shit.

5 years ago

Aladdin was awesome ;__;

5 years ago

alladin is one of my favourite childhood games, interesting and sad story with a review

5 years ago

Closed 5 years ago by Cjcomplex.