Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone who gives suggestions and opinions, in case I dont answer everyone - I appreciate the help you give

There was a time a long time ago when I built my PC, which is quit outdated at this moment. Was thinking about upgrading by buying components separately. But I realized my mobo has AM3+ socket which is dead platform s of now (sorry for living under a rock, I wasnt really following computer technologies)

I have AMD FX-8320 CPU and GTX 750TI graphics card. I suppose I could buy a new graphics card, as it should fit (correct me if im wrong). But would I bottleneck my CPU this way ? Basically what I want to know - is there point in upgrading GPU if I keep the CPU ?

Second question - is there CPU I could buy, that would be a worthwhile upgrade for FX-8320 ?

Or, would all this be complete waste of money and should I just build from scratch ? Want to hear your thoughts :) Thanks in advance

PS. what about choosing RAM ? From what I can gather from looking at available motherboards DDR4 is the new deal ? And DDR3 is as good as dead as is AM4+ ?

4 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

What to do what to do

View Results
Upgrade
New build

Hi. I just upgraded from that same CPU to a ryzen 7 1800 and it is a big boost so I would recommend it, and if you are looking for a graphics card the Radeon 570 is really good for 1080p gaming and work.

4 years ago

Too few info, what games/stuff you want to do with it? how much is your budget? If it's enough just get something totally new and more future proof then constantly keep upgrading.

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Yeah what i was thinking too.

4 years ago

As of now, only problem for me is playing newer games as I find more and more of them run on low-middle settings for me. So its not really a priority and I dont have set aside any budget for that.

I wanted either to buy CPU and GPU for 100-150 euros a piece or not bother and set aside money and eventually build a new system

Thanks for the comment :)

4 years ago

Personally I'd upgrade the GPU. If it's still not running what you want you can replace the mobo&CPU later after you've saved more money, but still use the new GPU (and PSU, case, HDD, etc. as long as they still work/meet specs/etc).

4 years ago

Yeah, that seems the plan for now. Will see, maybe as I mentioned in another comment I might leave this at family home and simply just build a new system. But time will tell.

For now looks like I will just check some good deals on GPUs. Thanks

4 years ago

Happy cake day!

4 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago*

Thats exactly what I was wondering about. Thanks for the opinion :)

4 years ago

If your PC is 5 years or older than new build is the only good option.

4 years ago

oof, my laptop just hit a ten year mark :D But still performs well for work related stuff

Thanks for comment ;)

4 years ago

Work stuff yes but if you want to use that PC to play games than it can run some older ones but if you want to play all new games on max settings than it is better to build new PC than to upgrade old one and sell old one for parts.

4 years ago

As others have mentioned, at this point the only worth-while thing to do is to upgrade everything. I am picking up a new Ryzen 5 3600 (and mobo, RAM and M.2 SSD) for my rig today, which should be the current sweet spot in the mainstream so once I am done setting it up, I can tell you if I found the upgrade worth it (I am upgrading from old i5-3570K, which on paper should have about the same value as your current CPU, although it's gaming performance is probably quite a bit better).

4 years ago

Yes, please do give me heads up on how it turns out :) Thanks

4 years ago

So after using it over the weekend I have yet to get to run under full load with any game I have played, though that has mostly to do with me running RX 480 with it (saving up more money and waiting for next gen. GPUs). My old CPU was under 100% load most of the time.

Most noticeable improvements were, obviously, in CPU sensitive games. Total War series, Civilization and CS:GO have seen considerable improvements after the upgrade. Other games not so much as those will need the GPU upgrade as well. All in all, I am very satisfied.

Side note: I suggest getting an after market cooler, the one that's included is fairly loud.

4 years ago

Thanks for feedback. I will probably upgrade GPU for the time being, but will keep in mind CPU suggestion when I'll be ready to upgrade mobo and CPU as well

Original cooler for my CPU was loud as well, but eventually bearings gave out, it became even louder and couldnt spin as fast and it started to overheat. I did change it anyway, so I will probably buy next one with aftermarket cooler already at the beginning.

4 years ago

I would be interested to see how you feel about the new setup when you have it up and running. I too have an I5-3570K that I've been debating about a new build or wait another year to see where things go. And upgrade at that time.

4 years ago

4 years ago

to upgrade cpu there is only FX8350 and FX8370 (9590 have big TDP and need better motherboard) which are not so much faster than yours CPU
depend on which game you play, if it is not optimized, you can just upgrade your GPU

you just can buy better GPU and lately buy new CPU + Motherboard + Memory

4 years ago

Alright, thanks for clearing that up - Thats exactly what I was worrying about. Looks like there simply isnt room to upgrade CPU wise.

Got to check out some deals then on GPUs and at least get that before getting everything else

4 years ago

I would say get a new system.

4 years ago

For a new processor, you'll need a new compatible motherboard. For a new GPU, you'll probably need a new power source. Which depending on your current CPU, you might need more heat dissipation. So yeah, except for the monitor and mouse+keyboard, you would need to change everything. Maybe keep the hard drive? But if you happen to have the free windows10 upgrade, keep in mind that it won't work on the new pc, so if you plan on having it usable, it might be cheaper to buy a new HD too

4 years ago

Thanks for suggestions
If I do happen to build a new PC, I might just leave this one at family home for regular use. I do have beefier heatsink and ventilator for CPU, so if that fits I could just take that for the new build and put back the original one on this one - cant do that. Just checked and heatsink doesnt fit newer socket neither

As for HDD I have two 1 TB drives in this one.. No worries about windows, but I hope I could use these in the new system as well and put something with not so much memory in this one

4 years ago*

Get a SSD they are cheap and you will be happy with it, put windows on that, use HDD for games.

4 years ago

1000% new

View attached image.
4 years ago

That CPU just doesn't do it anymore...

4 years ago

I would suggest a new build, my old PC has worst stats than yours am I using it as a media station and also for light web browsing. Why I feel you shouldnt upgrade as i wouldnt recommend using new parts with older/aged parts if you have the intention of getting a new building. 1 you're limiting yourself to a certain specs level and it might or not last as long as you wish. Since you wanted a machine that can handle new games a newer medium spec build might be one you want to look into. Set the budget for upgrading aside towards the new setup.
Cheers~

4 years ago

to find out which would be the bottlenecking component with a new GPU, you could go to https://www.game-debate.com/search/games and choose a game. next, page down to the "can I run it" section, enter your specs, and let it work.

It tells me that for Frostpunk, my GPU is the bottleneck. It further breaks it down into stats, telling me that my GPU is only 84% of the minimum requirement (at 1080p), while my CPU & RAM are good enough.
Here is another site, but I have no experience with it.

4 years ago

cpu usage has hardly grown over the past 5 years. the bottleneck really wont be very noticable but if you are in a money pinch shelling out for a very good video card is a much better idea. pcs have been beholden to what the consoles have been working with. im using an amd vii with an amd 9590 outputting 4k and can blast nearly everything on max settings without antialiasing. the full rebuild will be very costly and you will see much fewer frame gains per dollar. you'll have to do it eventually but probably not until the ps5 pro is announced

4 years ago

I upgrade the GPU, PSU, and storage individually whenever I feel each needs to be upgraded and I do the motherboard, CPU, and RAM together, but your entire system is so old that I would just replace everything at the same time.

4 years ago

I would buy new p and. I would go for ryzen. What model exactly depends from your budget. Also am4 platform is very flexible and you can put there first, second and third generation of ryzen. Probably Ryzen 4xxx which should be launched on the end of year and should work with previous am4 motherboards. It means if your budget is thin you can buy budget cpu, even with previous generations and upgrade later. But best would be to buy as budget something like ryzen 3600 or similar.

4 years ago

DDR4 you should go for, DDR5 should be coming this year.

4 years ago

happy cake day!

View attached image.
4 years ago

Thanks.

4 years ago

Happy cakeday! :)

4 years ago

If you mean for desktop PCs (ie. the full speed version instead of the low power variant), then afaik Intels Sapphire Rapids is the first architecture that will officially support it, and that wont release until at least 2021. The upcoming ZEN3 architecture by AMD is still set to use DDR4, and I don't think they've said explicitly what ZEN4 will use (though its assumed to be DDR5 based on some vague wording in their roadmaps).

The standard itself should be finalized this year, but actual products that support it wont be here until 2021.

4 years ago*

questions are:
what is your budget?
and what are you not satisfied with right now?

getting an up-to-date graphics card could solve most issues. but maybe not if the processor is just too bad. and it is kind of terrible by today's standards...

a friend of mine got himself a new computer from a system builder for around 600€ if i remember correctly. it's based on a ryzen 3600. overall really not great parts but he is happy with it.
also you can get something older or used for cheaper if you are really low on money.

4 years ago

New build ((´Θ`*)

Upgrade…die…(8o」∠)

4 years ago

For about $650 you can build a new PC with 2-3x the performance of your current one.

$80 - CPU: Ryzen 1600 AF (12nm version, roughly same performance as Ryzen 2600 for half the price)
$80 - RAM: 2x8GB (16GB total) DDR4-3000
$80 - Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4
$230 - GPU: Geforce 1660 Super 6GB
$70 - SSD: Crucial MX500 500 GB
$90 - PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W

And just re-use your old case, or get something cheap like a "Phanteks P300 ATX Mid Tower" for $50.

4 years ago*

Thanks for the list of suggestions :) Helps a great deal to start understanding whats what in the market

4 years ago

yup! New build, it's almost impossible to update your build and get a great value/performance
And jiggakills actually gave you a great budget/performance build!
If you want to go even more budget... search for a secondhand RX580 8GB, people bought them like crazy to mine ETHERIUM and now just want to sell them cause crypto is not worth mining anymore. RX580(secondhand) is almost as good as that 1660. And you save some money for a better mid range graphic card in 1 or 2 years... or save money to buy a ryzen 2600X.

4 years ago

Agreed, buying used can result in big savings (especially when it comes to the GPU).
Just be sure to never, ever, trust a used power supply (seriously).

4 years ago*

Buying used can be good if you know what you are doing, For many years my builds were all used, saved a bunch of money (lost some too )
In this particular instance, I'm saying to buy a used GPU, 'cause you can find a good RX580 for 130$-150$ with less than 2 years, still inside the warranty. With that money saved, you can invest or save for a better MID range GPU down the line.

Congrats, hard to see people being very good on low budget build recommendations :)

4 years ago

And again! never buy used PSUs, and don't take unnecessary risks with used CPU's, and HDDs(their end of life cycle could be near, and you can only detect that sometime after buying it. If you are gonna buy a used HDD, use it for backups, not important data! )

4 years ago

I realized i meant to tell you RX 590, not 580 (i have this one, that's why I confused myself)

4 years ago

As many others have said, this really comes down to budget & part availability in your region. If you have the means, it's a good time to upgrade the full system. If not, there's some budget upgrades that will improve life now.

1) Buy a SSD (if you don't have one).

• This is a HUGE performance gain in every day use. Your computer will feel like it's brand new. On top of a clean install of windows, it's tough to beat. SSD prices are very affordable in nearly every region. Aim for 250+gig. That's room for Windows, most/all of your daily applications, and a few games you play regularly. With steam, you can move games back to your HDD's when you're not playing them often to make room for other games. DO THIS even if you decide to build a new system a few months down the road. Buy new.

2) Buy a used GFX

• Cryptomining cards have flooded the used market. Many are still in great condition and available in many regions. I've seen prices at 25% of MSRP for a GPU that's under 2 years old. It's hard to beat that price/performance.

3) Upgrade your ram (if you have less than <4gig)

• Only if you can find DDR3 cheap as rocks. You likely don't need more than 8, and 4 should be enough to get you by until your ready to upgrade the full system. If you can't find cheap used DDR3, I'd just make do.

Outside of these things, you'd be better saving your money for new or new to you system.

4 years ago

Thanks for suggestions.
As for RAM - I have 8 gigs already, so I wont be bothering with that ATM. Probably will just put it in a plan to get DDR4 for the new build then

4 years ago

Second question - is there CPU I could buy, that would be a worthwhile upgrade for FX-8320 ?

Basically every half-way decent CPU on the market. ;) The 8320 has a lot of cores, but lacks single core performance and certain modern extensions. I regularly see people with those CPUs complain about bad performance (or even the game not running at all). Go for a Ryzen 3xxx. The Ryzen 3600 is the current star in terms of bang for your buck. Can't go wrong with it. And depending on your budget you can of course go higher from there, if you want (3700X, 3900X...).

View attached image.
4 years ago

In the question I meant an upgrade thats available on AM3+ socket. Because if I upgrade to ryzen I need new mobo as well. And at that point I'm basically left with building from scratch

Thanks for suggestion, I'll keep in mind the 3600 model as others are suggesting it as well

4 years ago

Yeah, sorry for not making that clearer. I definitely recommend building one from scratch. AM3+ doesn't offer much nowadays. With a new Ryzen build you should probably be happy for the next years. The 3600 is the price/performance killer. I personally would go for at least an 8-core (like the 3700X), just to be future-proof. Especially with the new consoles around the corner. But that depends on your budget.

4 years ago*

An FX-8320 should still provide passable gaming performance these days. Not great or anything, and would depend on the game, but you'd certainly be able to appreciate a GPU upgrade.

You can get a sub-$200 GPU (Radeon RX 570/580/590/5500 or GeForce 1650 Super) or go for something a bit faster if you're thinking of upgrading the rest of the system in the near future. I feel that cards with more than 4 GB are a better choice these days, especially for slow systems, but a cheap 4 GB RX 570 will still improve things considerably for you.

Edit: Looking at your budget, I'd say that a GPU is definitely the way to go. A low cost CPU upgrade (GPU + motherboard + RAM) will cost $200+, and that's for the cheapest stuff. $300 is more realistic, and even that's using a cheap (but more decent) MB and a last gen 6 core CPU.

4 years ago*

I've been upgrading my computer with a motherboard+i5 2500k cpu from about 9 years ago and lately the AMD software is telling me my cpu is bottlenecking the rest of my system by only meeting minimum req, for some nicer games. Your cpu seems to run slightly below mine so I would definitely recommend getting a new motherboard cpu combo. A new motherboard and cpu is also on my next "upgrade" in the next few years( after my much needed psu upgrade, waiting for a sale!), my recent 16GB RAM upgrade is thanking me hard right now.

4 years ago

had a fx 8320 and a gtx 660 myself ... fx8320 hasn't altered well, the jump to my 2600x was a damn big one, gtx 660 was changed for a r9 290 that i got before the mining crisis. depends what your budget is and where are you from we could give you something like a pcpartpicker link ... other thing, would be good to know what you do with your pc, someone who uses office alot and plays games that arent demanding may doesn't need an upgrade

4 years ago

i didn't read the comments so sorry if this was said before.
what you are talking about here is +5 years old system. so technology changed and there is not much of an upgrading path
the good news is you can get old parts on the cheap, as your GPU was mid-range and can be upgraded.

It all depends on your budget/setup/games
Personally: Assuming you have an old 1080 screen, and care about frame rates

1. Upgrade the GPU something like RX570 or 580 new (120-170$) depending on your PSU
  2. GET SSD if you dont have one already
    optional: Upgrade the screen for high refresh rate 1080p 144hz option. it will make a huge difference and will be an investment (250-500$)
    optional Get a CPU cooler will work for future CPU, and allow you to squeeze some speed of the old CPU (50$)

This way you can wait on the big upgrade for a year or 2, AM4 and DDR4 might go away. While playing at mid-high settings for most games (not the latest AAA). you are not spending much, and you can find a better deal on the used market
just don't upgrade any further as the CPU will bottleneck then.

The new build will be at least a full core (CPU-MB-RAM-GPU). as your current core parts won't work with the new
and will depend on your target (budget/resolution/games). but i would say starting 500$ to notice a performance upgrade
and you can look into going 4K

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.