If you had any before, that is. My graphics card is MSI R9 280X.

I got my new PC this week and I've been having lots of fun gaming and creating videos with it, but I get a bunch of flickering gray horizontal lines.

It never stops, but it's almost impossible to see the problem if I don't look very closely...except when I'm gaming.
When I'm gaming, the problem gets exponentially worse and I'm practically half-blind because of it.

So far I've tried uninstalling AMD Catalyst, cleaning the PC of any remnants of the program, then reinstalling an updated version of it, but it hasn't helped. But, I believe I messed up in the process of uninstalling, so I'm going to try again right now with a slightly older version of it (13.12), and if that doesn't work, I'll go back to 14.4.

I've also tried underclocking the card (After doing a lot of research and clocking within boundaries, so my warranty is safe), but that didn't help either. I heard that a lot of R9 280X's are coming factory-overclocked, so I thought it might help. Or maybe underclocking might have lowered the temperature, since it's possible the cooling sucks.

Are there any other safe methods I could try? I'm going to try some more and then I'm going to RMA my card if nothing works.
I've already contacted tech support but they said to first update my driveres, which I already did, and then to RMA it if that doesn't work.

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Seems a hardaware issue. If you can try with a different monitor.

To install AMD drivers use the uninstaller from AMD inlcluded in the drivers and then in Safe mode use something like Display Driver Uninstaller. Restart your PC, disable Anti-virus/firewall and disconnect your internet connection before installing again.

If that doesn´t work it is not a driver issue and is a hardware issue.

1 decade ago

The problem when I had them was my graphics card driver update. I reverted to an earlier one and it fixed it.

1 decade ago

It's not because of monitor since you said it increases exponentially while playing games. Just to be sure, try running your monitor on integrated graphics (if you have them), see if the lines still occur. If changing drivers doesn't work, then you must RMA it...there's not much you can do to fixing graphic cards than changing drivers. Also, try to play different games. Some times some games cause problem only to a specific graphic card/driver version.

1 decade ago

Are you using a vga-dvi adaptor? Then that is the problem. Change the slot to dvi

1 decade ago

Yes, I am. But I don't know how to "change the slot to DVI".

There's only one slot open on the graphics card (rest are blocked by some sort of blue plastics) and it's definitely not what fits the cable for my monitor, so I used the provided adaptor.

I think my cable's VGA and the slot on the computer is DVI.

1 decade ago

Don t RMA it. You ll get it back. Get a monitor with DVI slot and plug it in with a DVI cable and see if it works

1 decade ago

I heard that CyberPowerPC (where I bought my PC from) allows you to keep your graphics card while they send you a new one, and then you can return it. I'll ask for a completely new one.

As for getting a new monitor, I spent my entire budget on just the PC and am using my old monitor. I'm trying to find a job that fits my schedule (I'm a high school junior), but I've been unsuccessful :P I am trying to get a new one, though. Making 1080p videos with my 900p monitor makes me sad.

This one seems nice for a small budget, but I have to hope it stays on sale for a very long time.

1 decade ago

Hope you ll reply when you test the new card.

1 decade ago

I will, as long as this post remains less than a week old. I did find an older monitor that's only 1280x720 and it has DVI input. I'd need to buy a DVI cable, but that shouldn't be much.

But, another thing that I don't know about. The monitor's input is one of the ones on the right side, while the one on the PC is one of the ones on the left side. Are there different cables for all 5 of them?

1 decade ago

The important part is to buy a dual link dvi cord so you are future-proof for upgrades. It doesn't matter if they are extra 4 pins in the video card, the adaptor will still fit on the video card. The extra 4 pins is probably just used for backwards compatibility or some shit.

1 decade ago

Figured out the problem. It's been 90% confirmed that it's the graphics card.

I called tech support and they made me do some random things, and they're sure it's not because I'm using a vga/dvi adaptor. Also, my computer had been overheating a lot, and I had always thought the CPU and/or my cooling was the issue, but it seems it's caused by the graphics card.

I'm going to return my entire PC for repair services.

1 decade ago

I've had three R9 280X with issues and one issue they all had in common was random artifact flash on desktop. On games I had some artifacts too. I didn't have any gray lines except when the first card crashed into a screen with vertical stripes. This kind of artifacts I had on the second card. Do they look any similar to your gray lines?

In my opinion you should just RMA it. After the third faulty card I came to conclusion that you have to be lucky to not have any issues with that particular model. I had enough with it at least and switched to GTX 770 and I haven't had any issues with that.

1 decade ago

Nope, not similar. I'll just RMA it :)

1 decade ago

The only time I had this happen to me is when I overclocked my old graphics card way to high, and I fixed it by clocking it back to it's original values.

My advice to you is to send the card back and demand a replacement, not just a repair, it has to be faulty. Just don't tell them you underclocked it, they might not take it back then.

1 decade ago

You've definitely got a faulty card, it happens quite a bit on the higher end cards for both Nvidia & AMD. All you have to do is contact the retailer you got it from and ask for a replacement.

1 decade ago

That sounds like a wire problem. I had that problem on gray horizontal lines on my dvi to hdmi converter. It happens when the wire cannot sustain the bandwidth of the resolution and refresh rate(1080p @ 120hz or 1600p @ 75hz) OR there's too much noise background on the wire.

1 decade ago

Well my monitor only goes up to 1600x900 at 60 Hz, which I don't think is that much.

1 decade ago

The symptomps sounds more like a wire problem rather than a gpu problem atm. Does your monitor has a dvi input? Go to your nearest pc shop and buy a dvi-dvi connector. Pick atleast a good one, wire that is approx half an inch in diameter thick. Then try it. If it the gray bars still persists while playing a game, my next worry is your driver (I'll teach you later how to properly clean uninstall amd drivers after you test the dvi cord), after that and it still persists, if it still have a warranty RMA that, if no more warranty, I'll teach you how to edit your GPU VBIOS.

1 decade ago

Well, I just said this to someone else below. Unfortunately I spent my entire budget on the PC and I'm stuck with my old monitor that has only a VGA slot. I've found a cheap one that I think will do the trick, but it'll take me at least a year to save up for it, and I have a week or two less than a year left for my warranty.

1 decade ago

I was getting artifacts on Metro Last Light and Dark Souls 2 , at the time I was using the beta drivers ( 14.2 & 14.3) but when I reverted back to 14.0 I think at the time which made some artifacts dissappear but not all. I got the almost the same gfx card aswell but mines the gigabyte windforce edition 280x

1 decade ago

Closed 1 decade ago by Wingflare.