OMG WTF?

All treasure keys will expire and be removed from the game one year from now on July 1st, 2015. Keys must be redeemed by that time.
One year from now expect the "My keys are gone how come" thread..

9 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

9 years ago

Just hope that TF2 doesn't go the same way.

9 years ago

i do but i doubt it as Valve makes way to much off that

i am not sure why people would even pay 2.50 for a key to chance to unlock some rare stupid in game crap yet most the time you get junk

i would rather spend that on a game or better yet real stuff like pop tarts

that is why i do not play games like that it would do no good i would have a bunch of chest that i would never use as i would not buy keys for them

most people buy keys for stupid trading and it is also used to launder stolen keys/games and such

9 years ago

Let's say you wanted to buy one of the new weapons that came into tf2 not too long ago. You can either buy the weapon for about 7 Euro, or you can buy a key for 1,89 euro, sell the key for about 7.33 refined metal, buy the weapon for .33 ref, and go +7 ref and +5 euro :)

9 years ago

If you can buy the weapons for 7 Euros, why would anybody trade it for 0.33 ref? And where do you get that extra 5 Euros from? Only thing you did was spend 2 Euros, but with some luck you could get them back if someone gave you a key for 7 refs. But you didn't get any Euros...

9 years ago

That's because you don't play those kind of games.

If you were playing Dota 2 24/7 (or any game) you wouldn't care you spend $15 on subscription or $50 on keys because you don't spend a single dime on any AAA games or DLCs or anything like that - you play one game over and over again.

9 years ago

i suppose but just because i do not play the game does not mean squat as i have played tf2 did not like it has nothing to do with the fact i do not like the whole key and chest thing

it is just another way to make it pay2play or as i like to call it bait and switch

look if people like paying for in game content at 2.50 a pop more power to them but until they quit that none sense i will not play those games for that reason

i think games should allow you to earn the games in game without having to jump through hoops or spend real money it unbalances the game for those who do not wish to pay for stuff

the thing for me is...if it is free to play everything should be free if not make it a pay system period

but they will not do that because they can call it free to play and still make tons of money off micro transaction and justify it..when really it is a pay2play with a free2play skin over it

this is just my opinion

9 years ago

A just opinion but you also do have to note that the weapons can drop from regular play even with a F2P account I believe. You don't need to buy it from the store unless you absolutely, can't wait another week, need the callsign when you get a sniper kill or something. Strange weapons are just regular guns with a different prefix.

I guess my definition of P2W is kinda different than yours. Pay2Win for me is when content is hidden behind a paywall with no way of gaining access to it unless you pay IRL cash. Mobile games with the gems, or MMOs where they have specific cash shops only purchasable by using IRL cash such as NX from Nexon games.

Just saw you said Pay2play instead of pay2win. You must have an entirely different dictionary of online terms than the rest of the internet. o.o

9 years ago

Pay2play = WOW , EVE. you need to pay2play monthly

pay2win is what you think it is

9 years ago

Yes I know that but Evil is calling TF2(or DotA2) a pay2play game and that's why I said that last sentence.

9 years ago

But is opening crates with hats PLAYING?

TF2 is Free2Play. You install it, you choose class, you run around killing people and playing. Opening crates is totally different thing, you don't need to do it to be successful, you don't need to do it to have fun. And what's the most important, nothing in those cases will give you something that will make you an Always-Winner (which is a very bad thing in F2P games, for example you simply couldn't play that F2P-Battlefield without spending real money on overpowered guns).

Yes, I also hate that system, but that's because I'm more "casual" TF2 player and it simply annoys me there's hundreds (if not thousands) items blocked behind paywall. But if I were a serious TF2 player I would be more than happy to buy one key a month to give Valve some $ for all their work they put into it for all this years. Just like I did with Killing Floor - I bought few skins just as a "hey Tripware, thanks for giving us another free map, here's €1 tip".

9 years ago

Did you just call TF2 and Dota2 Pay2Play? Seriously? Pay2Play= You pay in order to FREAKIN' PLAY THE DAMN GAME... What you are referring to is microtransactions, and none of those 2 games have serious microtransactions. Only cosmetic stuff, which you DON'T have to get in order to PLAY the game.

9 years ago

there goes 700 of my dota keys

9 years ago

I am pretty sure they will come up with something else to support the microtransactions..

9 years ago

hats?

9 years ago

what do you mean? their chests have all become keyless, and they're already full of micro transactions with their equips

9 years ago

Most of the items are droppable too... Only the arcana/immortals are the stuff that u need to buy. It would not bring that much profit as keys use to bring.. Like CS:GO has only operation passes,name tags and keys as microtransactions..

9 years ago

arcana are dropable

9 years ago

Why?

9 years ago

Is it time to panic sell? :P

9 years ago

Probably already bombed :P

9 years ago

Nope, hasn't dropped in price yet.

9 years ago

Huge price up will only tell you how valuable they are now, and remember they will be removed from the game, not from your inventory, expect even bigger UP in price ^^

9 years ago

This item will expire on Jul 01, 2015 (0:00:00).

Pretty sure it means they will be gone from inventory as well.

9 years ago

Nope, if it works like in TF2 it will only be deleted when you play game. Meaning, you can keep them around foever on storage alt.

9 years ago

The summer and winter sale cards also said they would expire and they actually did get removed from inventory. I'm not sure why this would be any different.

9 years ago

Because that was steam inventory, not game inventory? ._.

I still have "expired" TF2 items from 2012 and 2013 on storage alt I haven't visited in months, so far the precedent is for game items sticking until you play game.

9 years ago

+1, have expired Dota treasure chests (june) still sitting in my ALT's account

9 years ago

nope, there is shitload of beta, cards whatever items being removed and reaching huge value as collector items

9 years ago

Isn't expire the term they use for items that go poof?

9 years ago

Yes, they will.

9 years ago

what if the key had no use after being removed?

after reading OP
edit
Treasure Keys can now be redeemed for a free unlocked Treasure of your choice. When you use the treasure key a new redemption menu will open

9 years ago

there is shitload of beta, cards whatever items being removed and reaching huge value as collector items, expect keys to grow huge in value in next few months, you will remember my words

9 years ago

Yeah, especially those Winter Cards have big collector value after they expired. If you have one, you can easily sell it for $300. That because you'd be only one with it, as Valve destroyed them all.

9 years ago

they'll be removed from inv :(

9 years ago

nobody wants a useless key in your inventory.

9 years ago

yet people continue to sell them at increased prices

9 years ago

Because they aren't useless right now.

9 years ago

I guess time to sell all 24 of mine. Good thing there are bots around and a lot of people who havent heard the news yet

9 years ago

dont sell :) because you can make huge profits !! here how :
you can currently redeem keys for any treasure chest ever released that includes the upcoming chests and the lockless treasure trove (4$ chest) so that means you get a 4$ chest for 2,5$! and seeing the market their price will keep increasing until july next year :)

9 years ago

I don't play Dota 2 and I don't know anything about chests. Can't you buy keys at $2.50 from w/e store anyways?

9 years ago

they have been removed from store :)

9 years ago

you cant exchange it for that chest, just tried it

9 years ago

can

9 years ago

have u even tried? all chests it gives go for 1.90 E at most, and theres no lockless treasure trove.
Either you are bullshitting or its diffrent for regions

9 years ago

Maybe he checked some other chest that was for $4 before they patched keys and now they all lose their value...

9 years ago

http://www.ongamers.com/articles/dota-2-14th-august-patch-content-analysis/1100-2099/
Or he just cant read, the chest he mentions was never included. And as far as I saw none of the chests were 4 before this, one of them had special autographed edition that was 4.5, but what key exchange gives is the standard one which was arround the price of the key. The price of keys wont go higer than 1.90 at MOST since chests are arround that, unless they release something that goes for more, which is very unlikely. (values were euro)

9 years ago

Shaper Legacy was for +-€15 yesterday. Now of course if dropped to +-€2

9 years ago

Any chest that you could earn profit on inevitably dropped down to the price of the key since a lot of people would be cashing in for that chest.

9 years ago

sea region it as working when i last checked

9 years ago

The hole trading economy will collapse!
I would love to see it >:)

9 years ago

Trading economy is mostly based in TF2 keys.

9 years ago

All those key hoarders with 200+ keys, lol. I wonder if this will happen to TF2 keys too.

9 years ago

dont sell :) because you can make huge profits !! here how :
you can currently redeem keys for any treasure chest ever released that includes the upcoming chests and the lockless treasure trove (4$ chest) so that means you get a 4$ chest for 2,5$! and seeing the market their price will keep increasing until july next year :)

9 years ago

As expected, price for chests all dropped to around key price

9 years ago

well i hope they start seeing losses because of this.

keys were good. a new key comes out, you trade your old one for a new one and you can open a chest - without spending cash.

you don't have one? you can buy it from the market - cheaper!

now Valve is cutting all other sources and seriously, this is just greed at work. 15% market tax per key that's gonna be resold over and over again isn't cutting anymore i guess.

9 years ago

15% from 2$ market second-hand key or all of it (minus tiny cut for community artist) from 4$ chest. Sigh :(

9 years ago

Talking about keys here i got some extras
7ZK8Q-CPI4D-9JB2N

NK77L-TPL28-KI9WZ

476DX-FF8EM-2QADL

6ITGH-27CBP-3VC93

9 years ago

Thanks, got the first.

9 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 months ago.

9 years ago

They should make hats a new in-game currency. For Dota. For every game. Everything should have hats. Just imagine Gordon Freeman rocking a sombrero.

Hats-based economy. It's brilliant idea, more real world countries should embrace it. Hats have real value, you can take them with you whenever you go just by stacking them on top of your head - and you also get a dapper look as a bonus . And TF2 example shows that even with hundreds of different hats the market will still establish monetary values and exchange rates effortlessly.

Or even better.

Cats-based economy.

9 years ago

I approve of Cat-based economy!

9 years ago

9 years ago

Price is jumping now, since you can't buy them in-store. Buy, hold, sell, profit?

9 years ago

have my doubts

9 years ago

Sell. It won't ever get past 2.5 USD because that's the cheapest Treasure Chests you can open. If you bought below that threshold, just sell.

9 years ago

Changelog says they're not selling keys on the store anymore.

9 years ago

Wrong. You can 'open' 4$ chests with key, so price should go close to most expensive chest you can open, not least expensive one, now that supply of new ones vanished.

9 years ago

I don't see the difference though? I mean most items can drop through playing matches, and buying a chest from the store is just the same as buying a key to open treasures except you actually don't need to wait for the Treasure Chest to drop from a Match.

9 years ago

treasure keys could open almost all chests so you'd always have an option what you wanted but now you'll have to buy specific chests for items you want which will result in more profits buy the collapse of the dota2 economy

9 years ago

Items you can drop are worthless 2-10 cents market junk, unless you have huge amounts of luck and land an arcana. Items from chests were full sets, with gems, special effects, something much more bling-ey to most players.

9 years ago

PANIC SELL TIME. wait , they cant be pruchased from store anymore too ? Thats really sad though. keys are something connected between valve games , and it also makes money. :<

9 years ago

Yup, they can't.

9 years ago

I sold all of my Dota2 keys when the "wallet trade" rumor was going around anyways :P

Seems like it's getting riskier and riskier to stock these virtual currencies. Maybe Valve is trying to cut down on international game trading? Removing all the keys (dota/TF2/CSGO) sure would make things annoying haha!

9 years ago

They really, really, REALLY want me to check alternative, much, much MUCH cheaper source of games...

It's not like I need multiplayer...

9 years ago

Time to sell all 0 of my keys.

9 years ago

I made a topic on Steamtrades to warn the people.

9 years ago

Ur topic made me cry

9 years ago

Is not that bad if you got Dota 2 keys and get the money back by selling them or even a little more. But it's risky keeping them or accepting from trades.

9 years ago

You've got 11 months. That is more than enough.

9 years ago

Considering that keys are used more for trading than their actual intended purpose, it would be like your government telling you that your currency will expire in a year.

9 years ago

That's not really a good comparison, considering the keys were intended for another purpose and are sometimes used for that purpose, but are used primarily as a means of currency.

The fact that they ended up being used as currency is simply because Valve failed to see the gap in the market. People want to be able to trade, and trade for things with a stable value, and it really wasn't feasible to try and find someone that wants your game that also has the game you want, and that it would be an even trade.

9 years ago

Tomorrow's announcement:

Your Steam game library will expire on 7/15/15

/s

9 years ago

just imagine if that happens on TF2... the key hoarders... oh the key hoarders...

9 years ago

yeah ive recently noticed this.

keys are trading items.

9 years ago

Sounds rather good to me.

9 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.