i'll add more in the comments (please share yours, fakes and sarcasm being very welcome), but just as a (honest) start:

got too much eggsited, overwhelming, kinda harassing at times. this happens when i think you're "huge", like, can't control my emotions that well :)

(gaming related, SG external) sorry, [Adriaan]().

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Would 'got out of bed in the first place' explain it all?

5 years ago

yes. it could be.

5 years ago

Wasted my time at home. didn't search for a job seriously.

5 years ago

Veramente icaio....? No ga included? I'm not feeling the penance mate ;P

5 years ago

Didn't look for a job, procrastinated a lot and still do...

5 years ago

Don't want to say wrong - leaves a bad aftertaste.
There is a lot that did not go well this year. Some are consequences of the past others were hard to influence. I think the big decision like taking some time off were good. Others could say that was wrong, go forward bla bla.
I'm a little bit anxious with 2019 but of the positive kind.

5 years ago

Caring too much instead of doing more, I think that sums it up many fields of my life.

5 years ago

5 years ago*

I'll be honest, that vid feels a bit bullshit to me. He's doing one of those "I'll use clever words, good intonation and I'll rephrase things to ignore the answer, to make a new answer" type of bits.

Time is real. It can be measured. He says it can't, but it obviously can. A year is as long as it takes the Earth to revolve around the sun. With society, we've made up some averages and we adjust milliseconds based on it.
We also have a mental experience of time. Meaning that 10 minutes has different lengths in our minds. 10 boring minutes feel longer than 10 exciting minutes. But there's the rub already: feel. Those minutes aren't actually longer, we just feel that they're longer and we perceive the same thing.
But he takes that concept and just concludes that time isn't real instead of thinking that our minds are a bit more complex than their most basic functions.

5 years ago

Do you have a PhD in quantum stuff?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Rovelli

5 years ago

No, but that means little. AJ Wakefield has an MD, yet he also said that vaccines cause autism (he still does, he's discredited and his medical license was taken away). A diploma doesn't equate to intelligence. It's more likely that he knows what he's on about, I agree, but for some reason, I doubt that this one guy is more correct than the majority of the scientific community on that topic.

I could be wrong. That's what science is all about after all. But right now, the consensus is completely against him.

5 years ago

Vaccines have been proven to cause autism in the parents of the children to be vaccinated. Also that opinion probably didn't earn him awards and tenures anywhere, but discrediting like you said.

Just saying he's using clever words because he's clever and science doesn't have to make common sense so we would understand it, like creating something out of nothing with quantum fluctuation.

Are you sure the majority of the scientific community disagrees with him? My quick search only found a scientist with a competing theory. Of course they are all theories until our science advances much further and can start proving stuff but now they are fun for philosophical thinking.

5 years ago

Also that opinion probably didn't earn him awards and tenures anywhere, but discrediting like you said.

He got published in a medical journal, he has multiple books that sell well, he still get paid to talk in a bunch of meetings, he has massive influence (most memorably causing a measles outbreak in the US among the Somali-American communities) and so on. He's a very successful man. Just because he doesn't practice medicine, doesn't take away his success. In all honesty, this just makes sure that he isn't held back and that he was able to gather all that influence and believers.

Just saying he's using clever words because he's clever and science doesn't have to make common sense so we would understand it, like creating something out of nothing with quantum fluctuation.

This whole paragraph makes little sense. I never said that science doesn't have to make common sense. In fact, I said the opposite. Your comparison is also a very good example of using clever words to make your point. Something that's not easy to understand to basically not convince someone, but instead to sound smart enough to not be questioned or to not be argued against.

My quick search only found a scientist with a competing theory.

Well, I'm sorry, but your search is nonsense if you had a result for Facebook. At the very least, use Google Scholar to find your info. This is a Facebook rant which, ironically, goes together very well with the original critic. And it's just a review of his book, which means very little. We're talking about science, not literature. His book means little because in the end, we care about the theory, not his writing. Where are the studies, the research, whatever else to back him up? You might also ask, why is his response ironic? Well, it's because the main point is that he exaggerates things for entertainment. That it's a bit oversensationalized. But Rovelli calls it "a harsh criticism", which it was most certainly not. It was a very mild criticism in fact. But he, like he was criticized of, gave "an oversalted" response. (oversalted being the term used by Randall)

Plus, where's the theory? It's a review of a book that has a response by the Facebook fan page of Rovelli. What theory are you talking about?

Of course they are all theories until our science advances much further and can start proving stuff but now they are fun for philosophical thinking.

They're all theories. Always. Gravity is a theory. Evolution is a theory. A theory posits why something happens. An apple fell from the tree? Well, it's because of the theory of gravity. But that's just a theory (a game theory, sigh...). Planetary motion is a law though. A law being, what happens. Theories don't become laws either.

5 years ago

Success in business isn't the same thing as success in science. You already said he was discredited and his license was taken away, now can you find anything of the sort that has happened to Rovelli ever? Has Wakefield been given tenures and been invited to scientific meetings to talk after that? Convincing some tribal people that condoms are from the devil and ebola is caused by western medicine isn't that much of an achievement, even the pope and 4chan can do those.

You said his theory sounds like bullshit because he uses clever words, implying that you don't understand anything about quantum physics which is all about clever words used to describe things that don't make any sense.

I used Google and that was the only result where someone said he's wrong that I found quickly and it was his response to the critique against his theory in the book. You're the one who made the claim that the majority of the scientific community is disagreeing with him without even that little of proof. If that were the truth I would assume it's super easy to find some, can you? You seem to imagine that those 2 minutes are somehow the culmination of his scientific career, while making up arguments against him based purely on it. So where is your proof of anything?

The theory is in his book, of which the video was a tiny condensation of. You are free to look at his work if you care to actually find out instead of just arguing based on your feelings.

Theories become facts after they are proven by empirical science. Gravity is a law and only very silly religious people say that about evolution when they compare it to their made up stories about how things work.

5 years ago

I'm just saying that quacks are also in the scientific field. Like 20 years ago there were still a fair number of scientists arguing for creationism, which turned into "intelligent design".
Also, I love that Somali-Americans are tribal for you. What makes them tribal?

You said his theory sounds like bullshit because he uses clever words, implying that you don't understand anything about quantum physics which is all about clever words used to describe things that don't make any sense.

I mean, it's a stretch here. The video doesn't have him use complicated terms. I guess I wasn't clear enough. The vocabulary he uses is unnecessarily complicated to obfuscate the actual message.

You're the one who made the claim that the majority of the scientific community is disagreeing with him without even that little of proof.

Didn't say that.

I used Google and that was the only result where someone said he's wrong that I found quickly and it was his response to the critique against his theory in the book.

Well, why are you looking at the book? I'm talking about that what I said was the majority opinion while what he says isn't confirmed by many.
Not sure why you're trying to pretend that I did say this. Also, why is the book involved when we're talking about a video he made, a video where he says those words? I'm not sure if it's a demagogic tactic or what.

So where is your proof of anything?

Mainly scientific terms for these basic words. Like day, month, year and so on. Those things are units of time, so that should be enough to get my point across.
Also, in these conversations I've never heard that extremely general statements need to be proven. This is the most odd thing I've heard in this conversation yet.

The theory is in his book, of which the video was a tiny condensation of. You are free to look at his work if you care to actually find out instead of just arguing based on your feelings.

And here lies the problem in this conversation. I looked at the video, you looked at the book. To me, the video is bullshit, to you, the book is fine. We're talking about different things here.

Theories become facts after they are proven by empirical science. Gravity is a law and only very silly religious people say that about evolution when they compare it to their made up stories about how things work.

Well, you're mixing up the Law of Universal Gravitation with the different theories of gravity. Also, evolution is a theory. You just think that something that's been proven very well is a "fact" not a theory. In which case... I mean, what can I even say about that. You obviously wrote that without checking it and it's hard to do more than say "no, you should actually look it up".

But whatever, you're right, I'm wrong. I'm saying that instead of agreeing to disagree because I've seen petty people too many times. Doubt you're one of them since you're a solid dude, but still. Saves time and face for you regardless :D

5 years ago

How are they not tribal? They are on the same level if they believe the first medicine man that sells them lies that are against all actual science. Same thing with religious tribes of nutjobs here in some parts, we already had our first case of measles in a long time because they believe God says vaccinations are bad and then go travel in Middle East in middle of a measles epidemic.

Theoretical quantum physics can't be confirmed by many by default, since very few even understand the basics of it. Like you are arguing about his theory of what happens at some deeper existential level of the universe based on every day things. Did you know that there is no time theoretically inside a black hole? And would you argue against that by showing the physicist your watch that clearly moves? About the same difference in level.

"I doubt that this one guy is more correct than the majority of the scientific community on that topic."

That's what you clearly said, that he's incorrect and the majority of the scientific community disagrees with him. Yet you haven't still managed to provide even one example of that while I did for you.

I didn't look at the book any more than the news saying it's great all over media and noticed that he's Italian and talking about time right after reading this Italian thread about time in a way and made a joke combining these two. Then you started nitpicking about the video like it actually explains his theory that fills a book in 2 minutes and claiming that his theory is bullshit based on those 2 minutes. You claim I should use Google Scholar to find out things, yet you base your opinions on 2 minutes on YouTube without any further research into what he actually is saying.

I'm not mixing anything at all and I merely said the only people I have ever heard saying evolution is a just a theory are religious nutjobs. The exact same kind that believe vaccinations are from the devil. Are you one of them or why are you so adamant about that? You're the Wakefield in this discussion that's against every other scientist.

https://evolutionnews.org/2017/03/stephen-hawking-darwinian-evolution-ergo-bring-global-government/

I don't care one bit about being right, I would be glad if someone actually proved me wrong sometimes. But it always ends up with them quitting after they realize they can't save their own face. :P

5 years ago

Physics can drop your beliefs within minutes. Never follow a stream of physics videos!

View attached image.
5 years ago

Beware of math too!

View attached image.
5 years ago

I think that the problem here emerges because he is trying to condense in a 2 minutes phrase a huge topic, and a satisfying explanation of it should involve a scientific background, much calculation and some hours (at least). Otherwise it is really difficult to explain something (like this) that cannot be fully understood by a human being, born and grown up in a world that seems to follow certain basic laws.

5 years ago

In my interpretation it's more like time is not absolute, it is perceived to be what we perceive. Time dilation at close to light speed speed is causes our Eartly seconds be longer, but only for the outsider, it will be normal for the traveler. If you have a stable chemical element or compound, it is stable for an eternity until it's bothered by being changed by an external force. The heat death of the universe will eradicate what we call and feel as time because it will make anything that can cause a change disappear, causing the universe to be frozen in time.

At some level "time doesn't exist" reminds me of a fundamental rule of statistics - if you have a continuous range of values, the chance to get exactly one is 0, because if you use infinitely accurate categories, you have infinite results, and to get one of them is 1/infinite = 0. BUT from all that zeroes you can still add up a real chance, because a certain value range is measurable with an integral. Similarly, time is measurable by us, but only it being changed, and even that is not accurate because of dilatation and other physical changes. ( And that's why SI measurements try to natural constants - even the Earth's rotation is getting slower veeery slowly because of ebb and flow)
It doesn't really want to make people question their reality because it really doesn't matter. But to know more, see in a different way and maybe think a bit about it. Like what would would happen if a day would be 25 hours, yet we would use 24 because of mathematics.

5 years ago

Well, a period is a representation of time. Whether it's a day, a minute, a second, a year, a century, whatever else. Just because there's also an aspect which is, as he said, emotional, doesn't mean that the other aspect stops existing. Saying that years don't exist is silly because that'd mean that the Earth doesn't periodically complete a revolution around the sun. Which it does.
Just because we perceive something differently, doesn't negate the existence of this concept.

When you have time dilation, then the necessary adjustments will be made. We don't have this on Earth, so we don't adjust for that. So, when if a day becomes 25 hours long, then that's how long the day would be because the definition of a day is a single rotation of a planet in relation to its primary. Aka, how long it takes it to spin. So if that's the case, it'd be adjusted. Like it is actively now. Extra milliseconds are already added to our years to compensate for slight differences that have been calculated years ahead.

The term "year" is dynamic. A year on Pluto is 248 of Earth years. We're not in outer space and going there is just muddying the waters because it plays no role in our lives currently. If it does though, then we'll adapt, like we've done for decades.

So as to answer your question of: "Like what would would happen if a day would be 25 hours, yet we would use 24 because of mathematics."
If the spin takes 25 hours instead of 24, then the day is 25 hours long. A day isn't defined as "24 hours". It's defined as "a single rotation of a planet in relation to its primary." So, on Pluto, the length is 6.4 Earth days (6 days 9 hours and 36 minutes to be precise).

Our own perceptions don't change physics. Being at the dentist might feel like it was forever, but in reality, in the physical world, on Earth, it still took you 45 minutes or however long it actually was. Your mind isn't reality. It's reality to you, but not to anyone or anything else. What you perceive is what you perceive. Just because you thought my masturbation session felt like 25 minutes, doesn't mean that I didn't blow my load in 2.6 seconds.

5 years ago

Everything offends me.

5 years ago

me

5 years ago

In the beginning of the year I engaged with negativity too much. I argued with people with whom arguing was meaningless because they were a bit too self-involved.
Also in the beginning of the year, I got too lazy. I didn't screw anything up, but I did cause myself stress later because of it.
Currently I'm a bit too unaware of my situations. As in, I don't exactly know my obligations and certain dates as to when I have to do something and instead I tend to go with the flow. I'm trying to grow a habit of using my phone's calendar though.
I don't have enough of a backbone with some of my friends. There's a person that I should probably cut off because every time I speak to them, I feel worse overall because they annoy the shit out of me and while I've talked about it with him, he doesn't adapt (which is fine), so I need to man up and end that friendship.
Also, I procrastinated a lot. Though in the past few months I've started fixing that by having no "zero days" (zero days, meaning days where you do nothing to get to your goals) and so on.

There's probably more stuff, but these are the ones I mostly noticed. I think I can fix most of these and so I'll work on them. Doubt I'll 100% fix them all, but I'll try to still.

5 years ago

Trying to do too much in too little time which then stresses me out aka I am an idiot. Now back to working on my to do list for today I go.

5 years ago

I really enjoyed the 2002.

5 years ago

i was in love with a girl she loves me too but because her parents hated me she left me after her many girls came knocking the door but i dont feel anything for other girls its like i dont have heart i dont feel love and pain anymore.

5 years ago

2018 ... WHAT? you mean 2008?

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

5 years ago

Horus did nothing wrong

Sorry :D

Just procrastinated a lot :C

5 years ago

Happy cake-day!

5 years ago

5 years ago

Bought more games than I played even though I promised myself I would try to control my spending habits. Curse steam and its sales.

5 years ago

A couple days ago I accidentally offended my only close friend. And i feel there's no way to make amends.

5 years ago

Give them a real apology - that you understand why they're hurt, and you're very sorry for hurting them (no 'I'm sorry IF you were offended') - and tell them how much you regret what you said or did.

They might not accept it - or they might accept it much much later - but it's a start. It's up to them whether amends are made, but an honest, sincere apology can go a long way.

I hope it ends up going okay, and 2019 goes easier for you

5 years ago

You're right... I appreciate our friendship and i'll do everything to show it and make things okay... Thank you.

5 years ago

good luck mate, I personally know what it feels like having no friends at all for years and years.. I really hope that you'll be able to settle down everything and get back together as close friends :')

5 years ago

I hope so too. Thanks. Good luck to you :^)

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

For real, 2018 is the first year in a long time that's ended where I'm not beating myself up about anything. It's unbelievably freeing!!

5 years ago

I can't think even of a single thing that I did right (and no, that's not an exaggeration).

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Stil letting my anxiety messes with my life, hopefully it will change soon or else I'm fucked.

5 years ago

When emotions run high it's hard to hold back. But after making a few bad conversations awful with comments/writings that were neither needful, nice, or helpful in any way, and then suffering the consequences of them, I made a decision
You know when you're hot, words shooting out at a dreadful rate; Punctuation and spelling goes out as you quickly try to get the opinion out there? Don't press send. Not now, not after a few minutes, not after correcting the spelling, not ever. Leave it be.
Usually the emotions will cool down just by writing the words down, throwing them in the face of the imagined adversary usually just rises emotions more - when the equally hot reply inevitably comes.

Have I followed my own decision always? No.
Have I had to regret it every time? Yes.

5 years ago

Beginning of the year was atrocious.
I barely got out of bed for the first 3 months.
I was freshly done with university but all my ambitions were shaken by my breakup and job loss.
I visited companies outside of my city, and ended up getting some nice job offers.
I moved 2 hours away from my place and never looked back.
Changed my phone number, deactivated my Facebook, didn't reply to most emails.
Clean cut.
Can't say it was easy, though I wish it had been.
Now I made a name for myself at the workplace and I'm slowly building friendships again.
We'll see if 2019 can make my life a bit more stable.

5 years ago

Closed 5 years ago by icaio.