Can you get banned from Steam for using Idle Master in 2022?
I was using it and someone told me you can get banned for using it.

2 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

2 years ago

No, but for certainty, don't use it running vac games (although games like TF2 might even warn you).

I am using it like forever, so i speak from experience.

2 years ago*

I was using a TF2 game as a "game playing while idle" on my alts and never had a problem. But its ASF, not Idle Master

2 years ago

I had moments TF2 refused to start when i ran idlemaster, however i also had moments it ran fine, it was hit or miss.
It's probably safe but i rather not play VAC games while idling games just to be sure.

2 years ago

Only thing that will happen if you run IM on CS GO or TF2 is you will get kicked from games. I did it on accident a few times.

2 years ago

even were using it whole life, steam might change it one time and ban retroactively-NOW its against TOS to use any external program, but Volvo doesnt care rn

1 year ago

I use Archi to farm my games. There's apparently a way to get banned if you multi-task it to the point you operate 20-100 accounts, all farming cards. I don't think you can get yourself banned if you don't overdo the limits.

I'm a firm believer that anything has a limit and to be fair, both Archi and Idle Master isn't intrusive or destructive by all means. Steam Achievement Manager (SAM), for instance could potentially be more dangerous for your account as some game developers can block you or VAC ban you or something for tricking your way through achievements. But in the end, you're not really affecting anybody and it should be a problem. It's the overall look of your account.

I know people who have 10,000+ hours on each game using Archi and I think that's a little too much. You can't even judge their play through or reviews because of that.

I use Archi to also adjust my time spent with some games I've played in the past, purchased them on Steam now and show kinda an estimation of how much time I've played it. I don't overdo it, as I want it to reflect an at least accurate time spent and help other people understand my time spent with a game, even if I can't remember when and how much I've played it accurately.

Bellow you have an example of such a game. Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a game I owned and still own as DVD. I got the director's cut now and if I plan to revisit it, I might as well do, but I know I've played this game and finished it and pursue to get everything I could on the game. I may as well revisit the Director's Cut to remember the story of this awesome game, but that may be for another time.

View attached image.
2 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

2 years ago

I don't know if adjusting hours offends anyone, but among achievement hunters there's certainly a bunch of people who will judge you quite harshly for giving yourself all achievements in a game with the excuse that you played it before.

2 years ago

Yeah, I am aware some people from that community will find it distastefulness. I don't really mind what people think as long as I know for a fact that I put a lot of effort to get games to 100% now if I play them and enjoy them.

2 years ago

I'm a firm believer that anything has a limit and to be fair, both Archi and Idle Master isn't intrusive or destructive by all means. Steam Achievement Manager (SAM), for instance could potentially be more dangerous for your account as some game developers can block you or VAC ban you or something for tricking your way through achievements. But in the end, you're not really affecting anybody and it should be a problem. It's the overall look of your account.

That's not how VAC works, there's no need to spread misinformation. Neither Valve, nor any developer I've ever heard of, cares about achievements or people who cheat them. You're of course free to have your opinion on them.

2 years ago

That's not how VAC works, there's no need to spread misinformation. Neither Valve, nor any developer I've ever heard of, cares about achievements or people who cheat them.

This is something I've read online. I don't spread misinformation. Valve I'm more likely sure they won't. But I've heard that there's a possibility for developers to punish you for using it. I've personally not met anyone encountering such a problem, but hey, anything is possible and that could be because of an anti-cheat or something like that.

I've never had a ban in my entire life, I don't know what's the limit of getting VAC banned.

View attached image.
View attached image.
2 years ago

I'm sure it wasn't your intent but what you're saying isn't true. You can read up on VAC to inform yourself if it interests you: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/571A-97DA-70E9-FF74

Just because something is possible doesn't mean it's likely, I've never heard of a single developer punishing a single person for cheating achievements. So if there's no evidence for it, it is safe to assume that your statement is false.

Edit: random internet people aren't reliable sources, it's just random people saying what they think or believe.

2 years ago*

I see, thanks for providing feedback on that matter.

I can't vouch for other people as I've never experienced it, so as you've said, I'm wrong to assume this. I hope it never happens anyway if that's the case, but do you think people should be punished for tempering with such tools, like SAM?

2 years ago

My personal opinion on it is: if a person's actions aren't negatively impacting other people, it's irrelevant to me. I use SAM only for broken or unattainable achievements, but if people don't want to use it or use it to unlock everything, that doesn't matter to me. Each of us should do what makes us happy as long as it doesn't negatively impact others.

2 years ago

My personal opinion on it is: if a person's actions aren't negatively impacting other people, it's irrelevant to me.

True, same goes for me.

I use SAM only for broken or unattainable achievements, but if people don't want to use it or use it to unlock everything, that doesn't matter to me. Each of us should do what makes us happy as long as it doesn't negatively impact others.

I've not encountered any broken games at this point, but if I do I'll probably resolve to that too.

2 years ago

I've never heard of a single developer punishing a single person for cheating achievements.

In Payday 2 you could be banned for cheating your achievements. Although they stopped doing that in 2018 because it was too much hassle xD

1 year ago

That's the first verifiable example I've heard of. It's quite amazing to me that people care so much about others cheating achievements. I don't care at all what others do, even achievements that took me a lot of time to get myself.

Yeah I would assume that's the reason most developers don't care, it's a lot of hassle for very little benefit.

1 year ago

Not sure if I'm right - but back then some unlockable things were connected with achievements. And by unlocking achievements they also were unlocking stuff in game that was not supposed to be unlocked for them xD Not sure if that really matter tho. I mean - Payday is 100% PvE.

1 year ago

also in 2018 Starbreeze faced insolvency and was on the brink of bankruptcy, but having 1M free players a year later says a lot about their policy

1 year ago

there was some games like Bass Fishing Simulator or similar with VAC protection which can led u to game/vac ban for using SAM. Also some devs for multiplayer games can give u game ban for unlocking cheevos via sam(Dead By Dailight for example)

1 year ago

None of the Bass Fishing simulators even use VAC, this already tells me you don't know what you are talking about. Show me actual articles or proof that someone was banned for using SAM, because people saying there were people banned for using it are going off something they heard from someone else, which is hearsay and as long as there zero evidence for it it's misinformation.

1 year ago

go to dead by daylight forum and ask admins if they are banning for unlocking cheevos with SAM :) i mean they giving GAME BAN

about a bass fisdhing simulator: cant remember exactly, but that was a fishing simulator game and it was loud affair

@EDIT
I think it was ultimate fishing simulator 2

1 year ago

... you got banned from a game that is yet to be released and only has playtest available? The game doesn't even have achievements yet either.

1 year ago

Dead of Daylight doesn't ban for unlocking achievements: https://support.deadbydaylight.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402529064212-What-offenses-are-bannable- They do ban for cheating progress or gaining an unfair advantage, and some other logical things (which makes sense).

I can find zero articles for people being banned in any fish simulator for unlocking achievements, ever.

You're free to believe whatever you want but your claims or completely unsupported, unless you can provide actual evidence this conversation is over for me. I don't mean any disrespect to you.

1 year ago

Happy cakeday, informative stranger!

1 year ago

Happy cakeday :)

1 year ago

Idle Master, ASF, and Idle Daddy are all safe

2 years ago

Idlers are safe, if you don't changing something in games with vac (statistics, achievements...)

2 years ago

Apologies for the bump, but I'm looking for a program to idle games for the Alienware Arena Steam quests. Archi SF looks way too complicated and a hassle to set up just for the simple task of idling a few games for 1 hour. Idle Master Extended seems like it would do the trick, although it hasn't been updated for over a year so I'm skeptical if it's completely safe. (I read ASF wiki and it said outdated idlers can cause issues)

1 year ago

Idle master is sill completely fine to use

1 year ago

Thanks ^_^

1 year ago

or Steam Achievement Manager aka SAM

1 year ago

ASF might be a little overwhelming, especially if you don't come from IT background, but it's worth it in the end

1 year ago

I was using Idle Master Extended pretty much nonstop for the last few months. It still works just fine.

1 year ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.