Hi SG,

Happy holidays! We have a holiday event starting now and ending on December 25. The event allows users to create custom gift boxes which can be opened by others in the community to reveal giveaways. To get started, follow the below link to browse all of the available gift boxes, or to create one of your own.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
  2. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you do not own the base game for the DLC, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found or what was contained inside of a gift box.

If you have any questions, please ask. I'm looking forward to seeing all the gift box designs. I'll add a few throughout the month with Steam gift cards and games as well. Have fun!

Updates

• You can now open 5 gift boxes each day, instead of one every 12 hours.
  • A dropdown menu named "Browse" has been added to the top of the screen. This allows you to filter gift boxes by "All", "Available" (only those you can open), "Opened", and "Created".
  • If you have a giveaway creator blacklisted, you'll still see their gift boxes on the "Available" page, and the button on the gift box page will display "Open Gift Box". You'll only be blocked when you attempt to open the gift box (this will not count towards your daily limit of 5 to open). This will prevent users from blacklisting a user, and then checking whether or not a gift box remains on the "Available" page to identify if they are the creator.
5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

On the gift box's page can you make the box stop rotating when we mouse over it? Also when creating a new giveaway can you give us the option to rotate the box clockwise?

5 years ago

+1 to stop rotation ^^

5 years ago

Why can't I open any boxes? It says I don't have a high enough level..

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 2 years ago.

5 years ago

... unless he only gives away freebies.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

The higher your level, the more giveaways you can enter. That should motivate you to do giveaways. Amazing, right?

5 years ago

Use the "browse" dropdown; select "available". Enjoy the event!

5 years ago

If you choose to give away games on Steamgifts, make sure to not GA freebies (aka games that have been free at some point), as they will not give you CV and you won't be able to gain levels. I would advise you read the FAQ, it's all explained there.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Nice idea for a event, just added a small contribution too

5 years ago

I really liked the giveaway until today. Opened 2 of gift boxes and one was a bait with a DLC i already own? I know the DLC problem exit, but i already ignored the DLC and yet still he baited with a triple A titel wrapping and giving away a Soundtrack DLC.
How is that in any way fair?

5 years ago*

It happens the same to all of us, so it is fair in that sense, I guess.

When I was a kid sometimes my mom Santa would give me a prank gift... or put the real gift in a different box as a decoy. ๐ŸŽ…

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Please remove both information what's inside Christmas Box, and don't share not yours link to private giveaway.

5 years ago

Sorry about that, was pretty mad when typing it, edited the post in a way i hope is acceptable.

I can understand that DLCs are a difficulty on SG due how Steam handles DLCs. Still i was and am quite displeased about that giveaway. First of all a bait is okay i guess and can leade to sime fun, especially the Nintendo baits, but in that combination with a soundtrack (which i already own) is just not in any way โ€žchristmas-yโ€œ.

5 years ago

Maybe something isn't working? I used my 5 today and each one said "invite only" and wouldn't let me enter. Or does it automatically enter you?

5 years ago

Try again. That's weird.

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

I'm an idiot, it was yelling at me that it couldn't sync, forgot I had made my games list friends only. It's sorted out now. Thanks for the assistance!

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

5 years ago

I can't believe it!

It's possible!!!

It's a Christmas miracle! Merry Christmas!!!

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Woooowww

You, I like you

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

i lost ONE chance yesterday because sg can't detect owned dlc!!!
fix it cg!!!!!
damn you sg!!!!!!

meh, i'm gonna enter to +1 my library ๐Ÿ˜  *shakes fist*

View attached image.
5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

The complaints about DLCs that I've seen have exclusively been related to how DLC ownership can't be detected and so users who already own the DLCs are being able to use up box opens for content they already own. Given that Steam's issues with ownership reporting are well-known, it's intuitive that putting up DLCs for an event such as this would cause problems, and thus it's also natural for users to assume that anyone putting up such giveaways while also knowing of the issues aren't necessarily thinking respectfully about potential entrants.

It's not grounds for any sort of real upset, sure, but it's also not near as absurd or arrogant as your comment makes it out to be.

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago*

View attached image.
5 years ago

can't detect owned dlc!!!
gonna enter to +1 my library

View attached image.
5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

I don't think anyone has said they hate the event? As far as I can tell it seems to be quite well received.

But of course since it's the first time this sort of event has been done on SG (as far as I can remember) there will be issues, such as one guy below who found out the hard way that his internet data cap had been notably impacted by viewing the boxes (due to the boxes using the original high res images instead of storing lower resolution resampled ones). Technical issues like that should be mentioned. As for things like 'I wish it supported wishlists/filters' that's just a matter of opinion and it's up to CG whether he thinks implementing them follows in the spirit of the event.

But I suppose your post has more to do with the 'I wasted my chances on games I didn't want / I was tricked by the boxart!' type of posts. There's definitely quite a few of those, but it's inevitable those kinds of posts would appear in an event like this. Or maybe you saw someone yelling at a giveaway creator in one of their giveaways because the user didn't like what the game ended up being? I haven't seen that happen yet, so hopefully it isn't the case (even if you get something you don't want for Christmas, even children know better then to yell at the person for giving it).

5 years ago*

Deleted

5 years ago

Nooo way, that's just not acceptible. Not spending points, and not wanting to share every thought? What do you think, are we in the medieval ages??

5 years ago

Deleted

5 years ago

I just wanted to drop by and say I love this idea and how well executed it is. Happy holidays!

5 years ago

Hi . I really like the Holiday Gift Box Event, thanks .
there a problem , I think the pictures for made the boxes, some people use big picture so let load the pages become slow,

I use cellphone visit the SG FrontPage by 4G not Wifi, then I get almost 30MB !!

I only can use 1GB / a month on 4G , so the happy-holidays under the FrontPage is bad to me .

We should limit use small data pictures made the boxes

View attached image.
5 years ago*

Great feature! Maybe randomise the gifts shown on the giveaway page? Or add an option to open a random gift?

5 years ago

Image URLs
Please fill in the below inputs with JPG, GIF, or PNG images hosted on Imgur.com. Images should be appropriate for all ages and in the >following format: https://i.imgur.com/XXXXXXX.jpg

though imgur doesn't like to be used as a CDN / hotlinking
(they have started to ban (not serving content) hotlinking from discord in chat posts for example more recently)

cool event, though

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

Do creating a gift box, do you get the same number of points increasing the level?

5 years ago

Yes (provided 5 entries). It's just a modified version of an invite-only giveaway

5 years ago

Merry Christmas cg! Thank you this game. :-D

5 years ago

Can we please have a [Last >>] button added to the navigation cluster? Pretty please?

5 years ago

Oddly, available and entered got one.

5 years ago

You can always use a "999" workaround.
https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays/search?page=999

5 years ago

There was one available earlier. I'm not sure why it isn't there anymore!

5 years ago

I feel cheated because I opened a box that was for a DLC I already have...

EDIT: and one for a game I already have, but this is on me I guess, I should have sync my account before opening a box.

Regardless, 5 boxes opened today, and I could only enter 3 of them..

5 years ago

No worries mate, you can get a full refund for any money you spent opening the holiday boxes.

5 years ago

Haha, that cracked me up

5 years ago

:')

5 years ago

if you entered all three giveaways you entered much more than i in the entire event. so no reason to complain ;)

5 years ago

I really love this event - very festive!

5 years ago

good event. Can you add dependency settings with the event? Some regions have, but they are displayed
I think it will simplify the search for many.

https://www.steamgifts.com/account/settings/giveaways

Hide games you already own?
Yes
No

Hide DLC if you're missing the base game?
Yes
No

Hide giveaways above your level?
Yes
No

Hide games you manually filtered?
Yes
No

5 years ago

last one would be exploitable, as mentioned numerous time before. just hide every game that is not major AAA or premium indie - and you end up with much better chances on finding good gift than all other users, which is unfair ;p And yes - there are users who has tens of thousands of stuff filtered ;p

5 years ago

did you win all the trash games to avoid hiding them? xD

5 years ago

nope, I just don't hide stuff, I may simply not enter as I may spend my points better elsewhere, but I personally mainly use hide functionality for false positives - hiding bundles/packs I own everythoing or most of stuff from, hiding owned DLCs, hiding games not reported by API etc ;p

5 years ago

i have idea, how about include blacklisted games into showing boxes?
I opened XY cases and entered only 1 so far... so i think itll be good to save alot of time of all users.

5 years ago

It used to be like that but was changed to fix an exploit. :/

5 years ago

Can you restore the option to go to the last page? There are boxes near the end that had piqued my interest, and I don't feel like clicking Next 60+ times to get to them. Thank you!:)

5 years ago

go to https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays/available - it still have "Last" link, and you don't need non-avaiable gifts anyway ;p

also same workaround as for forums works - using high numbers. https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays/search?page=999 will take you to last page, even if there is less than 999 pages ;p

5 years ago

Thank you for letting me know!:) Have a great day!:)

5 years ago

You know too much about everything... Are you secretly an AI or something? :3

5 years ago

5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 3 years ago.

5 years ago

Is there any chance to skip games from "hidden games" list?
3rd day in a row I'm opening the box with game, which I'm already own, but still can join for some unknown reasons.

And it counts as "opened chest" So 3 days in a row I'm receiving 4 chances instead of 5. Q_Q

5 years ago

I also would like to have this setting, or at least a warning of some sort that the contents are on one's hidden games list. I hide the DLC I own and have opened several that could have easily been filtered this way.

5 years ago

So we're up to over 1,500 games in the holiday event...at this rate we'll easily be at over 5000 by the time the event ends.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like the number of giveaways being created for the event has slowed waaaay down.

5 years ago*

I'm having trouble getting the imgur links to work so I can actually create my own gift box. Anyone got any tips?

5 years ago

After you uploaded your images, right-click on them, "copy image location" (should be something like that, I have a localised firefox) and then post those here.

5 years ago

It worked, thank you so much!

5 years ago

That moment when you make more boxes than you have gibs. :P
Somebody stop me! :P

5 years ago

Thank you for the holiday event.
I haven't had time to read all 11 pages of comments, so I'm sure people have brought up this problem many times. But I also propose a solution.

SG is unable to identify DLC, package, and banned, and learning about label games. So what can be done?

First, label games that are DLC, packages, learning, or disabled games by perhaps a new category (API hidden?)
Second, when a giveaway creator uses one of these games, it should alert them something like "Steamgifts is unable to check ownership of users who enter - be sure to check the wins," a potential problem for them.
Third, for the giveaway entrants, these boxes should also pop up a warning like "This box contains an item that steamgifts can't be sure you don't already own. Are you sure you want to open it?"

Perhaps there is a more elegant solution?

5 years ago*

We have long lived with this bug, with no major problems.
Virtually everyone knows the problem. If you find a box with a DLC inside, blacklist the troll and eyes forward.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Well, in all fairness, there are some good dlcs, and even some recent ones in bundles that weren't anywhere else. So I don't think we need to get rid of them, but rather work around it with a warning.

5 years ago

I have never said that. DLCs simply should not be used inside the event because everyone has a limited number of possibilities.

If I find a DLC, it does not matter, because if it's not a DLC maybe it's one of the 13150 games filtered. And I think it's the same for you. But there are also those who have few games and they await these events...

5 years ago

If you only have few games it's much less likely you will be able to even open box with DLC, remember you need base game first to be able to enter and event design prevents you from entering boxes if you cannot enter GA (aka red button, no.matter if saying already exists, previously won or missing base game) ;p

5 years ago

Don't be a troll in a community should be the pivotal point. Try to opine it and no one need to add anything else.

View attached image.
5 years ago

what am I opinonating? where do I even talk about trolling? what are you talking about? xD

You simply stated something false (like DLC gonna be much bigger problem for people not like you, but those who have only a few games), so nI corrected you - iit's quite opposite. The more game you have the bigger problem DLCs are, the fewer you have the lessewr problem. I have no freaking idea how you read it being sth about trolls, opinions etc xD

5 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by cg.