Hi SG,

Happy holidays! We have a holiday event starting now and ending on December 25. The event allows users to create custom gift boxes which can be opened by others in the community to reveal giveaways. To get started, follow the below link to browse all of the available gift boxes, or to create one of your own.

https://www.steamgifts.com/happy-holidays

How it works

1. Creating a gift box and giveaway

• To setup a giveaway, use the link above and click "Create a Holiday Giveaway".
    • The giveaway will start immediately and end on December 25.
    • The giveaway will be available to the entire community, although region and contributor level restrictions can still be configured.
    • The giveaway will appear as invite only on your profile and not be visible throughout the site.
    • Once created, you'll see your gift box in the link above and users will have a chance to open it to access the giveaway.
  2. Opening gift boxes

• You can open 5 gift boxes each day until December 25.
    • When you open a gift box, you unlock the giveaway link and are able to enter the giveaway. Unlocked gift boxes are highlighted in green on the holiday page above, and you can freely revisit those gift boxes and giveaways.
    • You will see a notification if you cannot open a gift box. This could happen when the giveaway contained within is region restricted, when you do not meet the contributor level requirements, when you already own the game, when you do not own the base game for the DLC, when you have previously won the game, or when you have been blacklisted by the giveaway creator.
    • You cannot join a giveaway by only having the direct link. If you did not open the corresponding gift box, but received the link from someone else, you will see an error when attempting to view the giveaway.

No spoilers. Please do not share what games you found or what was contained inside of a gift box.

If you have any questions, please ask. I'm looking forward to seeing all the gift box designs. I'll add a few throughout the month with Steam gift cards and games as well. Have fun!

Updates

• You can now open 5 gift boxes each day, instead of one every 12 hours.
  • A dropdown menu named "Browse" has been added to the top of the screen. This allows you to filter gift boxes by "All", "Available" (only those you can open), "Opened", and "Created".
  • If you have a giveaway creator blacklisted, you'll still see their gift boxes on the "Available" page, and the button on the gift box page will display "Open Gift Box". You'll only be blocked when you attempt to open the gift box (this will not count towards your daily limit of 5 to open). This will prevent users from blacklisting a user, and then checking whether or not a gift box remains on the "Available" page to identify if they are the creator.
5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

Great idea. Really enjoy it. Still has the problem with collections though, so I opened 3 boxes of things I already owned.

5 years ago

It would be nice if the list only showed boxes we could open. It's annoying trying 20 boxes before finding one that I don't own or requires a higher contributor level. :/

5 years ago

I've been so busy checking out all the cool box designs that I sometimes forget to try opening some.
Perhaps a "coolest gift box design" contest would be something to consider for next year.

5 years ago

Interesting idea, sadly I just open boxes of stuff I'm not interested in.

5 years ago

So one of the giveaways I opened got deleted... one opening chance wasted.

5 years ago

Oof, unlucky there

5 years ago

This is actually a really cool little surprise. I mean we still have standard giveaways if we want 'em, but this is a little bit of extra fun and that's always welcome! Thanks <3

5 years ago

Do I own every giveaway? Cause that's what everyone says.

5 years ago

Should be able to see all of the boxes we already opened.

5 years ago

that little moment when you keep at looking that rotating box..
"this wrapping paper seems familiar..."
"uhmm... that gif!"

"pretty sure this is by ..." then you click and ...you were right!

cg-magic!

5 years ago

Great Event!!! Thank you!!! :)
Want more attempts. XD

5 years ago

Great idea, thank you! But... Can you add some default images? I would like to create some giveaways, but I don't know how to add the images :(

5 years ago

They have to be imgur links

5 years ago

click the attachment to view it full size

1. open imgur.com
  2. find an image and paste the URL in the field below, or upload one from your pc
  3. right click on the uploaded image, copy the URL
  4. paste the URL in each field, you can use different images to make your box

you can use programs (photoshop, gimp) to resize and adjust images.
there are also online apps like canva.com.

View attached image.
5 years ago

Right, but don't I have to register on imgur.com to upload images? Seems like a lot of work for something people will look at for 2 seconds before entering the giveaway and moving on.

5 years ago

You don't need to register to imgur to upload images.

5 years ago

a lot of work for something people will look at for 2 seconds

that's the Internet

5 years ago

This is awesome, I wish it would stay all year long, some boxes are hilarious xD

5 years ago

i wish the games that you own would be hidden

5 years ago

View attached image.
5 years ago

Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition please fix it, i already have this game, but i can open boxes with this
fail with 2 boxes (

5 years ago

cannot be fixed, because it's steam API fault not SG fault - API is not reporting packs/editions/etc, so SG cannot see you own the game already. Same happens with normal non-event GAs - Steam is only reporting you own DS2.

5 years ago

sad story, and i found another bug with DLC from Civilization V (

5 years ago

Same story, DLCs are not reported by Steam API at all, so no way for SG to know what you own. It's not a bug in SF part, its lack of functionality on Valve's side.

5 years ago

"A dropdown menu named "Browse" has been added to the top of the screen. This allows you to filter gift boxes by "All", "Available" (only those you can open), "Opened", and "Created"."

FOREVER GRATITUDE

5 years ago

Available filter on boxes does not take into account games that you already won in the past.

(yes, this can happen with Steam learning/removed games that API does not report as owned)

5 years ago

It should be fixed now to exclude previously won games from the available list.

5 years ago

Thank you cg!

5 years ago

I feel bad when I open a box for a game that I have no interest in but I know other people would really want

5 years ago

suggesting what others have said
a filter for games marked not interested/hidden

even more so important than "owned" because i was once a collector with nearly 4k games, i spent a meticulous amount of time "removing" games i had collected via that troublesome steam support and even more time spent hiding all those once-owned games here on SG so that i can have a very nice and tidy library and very concise selection of giveaways i would enter that actually interest me.

so im able to open boxes i still have licenses for but are not being detected as owned due to the api stuff

5 years ago

should have disallowed DLC for this event as the system can't detect ownership...... or at least a filter to hide it

5 years ago

I'm really enjoying the event, thanks! ^^

View attached image.
5 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

5 years ago

I've opened a holiday box witch contained a meme type russian game, not that great of a game.
However that got deleted by the creator. I believed it was actually for another game, and probably the creator was unaware, for which i had commented there.
It would be nice to be able to give an extra giftbox opening in these kind of situations.

5 years ago

Is there any way to make this less heavy on the browser? Like disabling rotating boxes for example? I know that I have a toaster for a laptop but I'd still like to check out the gibs but the amount of info that has to be processed on one page is making chrome crash hard

5 years ago

snip

yeah, sorry i tried to help.

5 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

5 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by cg.