2016 has been a pretty good year for me so far. I've won four games, one off of my wishlist. Of course, this string of good luck makes me incredibly nervous, and I'm pretty sure I've lost my 1.0 ratio by now. So I should probably give something back.

Rather than vomit up one of the terrible bundles available right now, I've decided to give away one of my favorite games of 2015: Downwell. If you like fast paced rogue-lites like Spelunky, Nuclear Throne and Super House of Dead Ninjas, you'll probably like Downwell.

I know what you're thinking: Why make a thread for a single cheap game if I'm not even going to hide it behind some obtuse puzzle? Well, I wanted to try out SGTools. Here's the giveaway link. I tried to keep the requirements pretty low, just keeping out rule breakers and prodigious leechers. Let me know if I screwed anything up.

Bumps and thank yous are appreciated, but I'd prefer to get a discussion going. What was the best game you did play in 2015, and why did you like it so much? It doesn't necessarily have to be a game that came out in 2015, just as long as you played it for the first time last year. As usual, giving a thoughtful answer will get you on my whitelist. I for one really liked Undertale...maybe I should give that away instead. Maybe later...maybe for the whitelist.

(PS: I cleared my blacklist at the beginning of the year, so if you've managed to go 10 days without being totally obnoxious, you should be able to enter!)

8 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Or maybe you did play it?(Poll Requires Games to Vote)

View Results
Yes, thank you for wasting my time.
I own it and haven't played it, but I'll go do that right now since you gave it such a shining recommendation.

Bump and thank you!
I played so many great games in 2015 that I can't really select a clear winner. I'll just mention a few out of the many.

• Mad Max
  • Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Spec Ops: The Line
8 years ago*

Playing through Mad Max just now, its a wee bit repetitive but i'm still actually enjoying it despite that.

8 years ago

It can get repetitive but I love the vehicular combat system. It keeps things fresh.

8 years ago

Ye taking down the convoys is a lot of fun, they should make it so these parts of the game repeat over time without affecting the regions danger level, maybe make the convoys larger with higher level enemies.

8 years ago

Did played Risk of Rain, nice game of 2015.

8 years ago

Risk of Rain is one game I've had for a while but haven't really spent enough time with. I've tried it, but I haven't gotten too into it. But anyway, I think if you liked Risk of Rain you'll probably like Downwell.

8 years ago

I mostly liked it becouse of it sountrack. That dreamy vibe like in Dustforce game but more electonic and strange catched me :) Thank you for recommendation :)

8 years ago

Well... It was better then i thought it would be. So +1. Yes.

8 years ago

Bump.
The best game I have played in 2015 is Bloodsports.TV. With friends it's very fun but now the game is dead because no players on it.

8 years ago

Thanks man!
My best game in 2015 is South Park: The Stick of Truth.
You must try it!

8 years ago

On the one hand, I love pretty much everything Obsidian makes...on the other hand, I really don't like South Park...

8 years ago

May I know the reason?

8 years ago

I barely ever watch it any more, but when I do, I find it occasionally pretty funny but ultimately I'm turned off by how regressive it is.

8 years ago

I actually don't know and never watch any South Park before playing the game and I still find it pretty fun. The game is funny and have many parodies old school Flash RPG-like which I didn't play for such a long time. Maybe it's my personal preference. :)

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 months ago.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

8 years ago

Fallout New Vegas is one of my all time favorites. Did you do the Old World Blues DLC? There's a really good set of stealth armor in there. It doesn't have a cloaking field but if you do a few sidequests to upgrade it it starts giving you some fantastic bonuses.

The Undertale demo is pretty much identical to the first area of the full game. But the first area is also probably the least interesting; it picks up very quickly after that. What about it didn't you understand?

8 years ago

It doesn't have a cloaking field but if you do a few sidequests to upgrade it it starts giving you some fantastic bonuses.

Like making you addicted to Med-X after 10 minutes of wearing it on the battlefield? :p

8 years ago

Possibly! One of the various unofficial bugfix mods I have seems to have prevented that, though.

8 years ago

Well, it actually really was a feature and not a bug though. :p Personally, I ended up giving most of my drugs to Rex.

8 years ago

With the mod, it still uses Med-X from time to time, it just doesn't spam it, so I rarely get addicted. I haven't played it unmodded with OWB though so I'm not sure how it usually works.

8 years ago

Honestly I was never a fan of the stealth suit, so I kinda tended to wear it while going into locations where the likes of it being shred to pieces were quite high (I think I had it on when I was going after the legendary deathclaw).
I don't really remember how it aplies Med-X in the vanilla game, since like I said, I rarely had them in my inventory, so the main thing I was hearing was "No more Med-X to numb the pain"...

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

8 years ago

Every enemy has a specific, unique way to spare them through ACT commands. It's not random at all, and they do all follow a certain logic. For example, there's a monster who wants to be a comedian: if you want to befriend him, laugh at his jokes. You can always just kill them instead, but every death has plot consequences. I would encourage anyone playing the game for the first time to do whatever they feel like. And since you're playing the demo, experiment. Even the demo changes over multiple playthroughs.

I did find the game funny, but if you went into it expecting to be constantly laughing you're going to be disappointed. A lot of the humor is more subtle, especially early in the game when barely any characters have been introduced. The second area is probably a lot funnier than the first, though. But depending on how you play the game, it can be downright depressing and horrifying instead...

8 years ago

Bumpy with thanks. Yeah, just that. I'm still trying to advance on playing new games rather than sticking to old played games :S

8 years ago

Finally got around to playing Bioshock Infinite, thought it was utterly amazing despite my having issues with the physics they used for some plot devices.
Was mostly amazed how scripting, mocap, facial animation and voice acting came together to create Elizabeth as such a compelling character.

A close second was Child of Light, so glad Ubisoft let some staff take a break from making their yearly stab-a-thon to create something so wondrous.

8 years ago

I haven't played Infinite yet...I kind of regret not picking it up when it was a dollar. I should finish Bioshock 2 first, though.

8 years ago

I thoroughly recommend, I'm a really cheap gamer so I picked up Infinite + season pass for $15 and I actually feel a little bad I paid so little for it, was definitely worth every cent, the season pass less than the main game but all in all was great.

8 years ago

Best game I played in 2015... hmmmm, haven't played many games last year so I'll say Fallout 4. The game has plenty of things that are designed worse than in the past games (dialogue system for starters) but the lore & story heavy open-world first person ARPGs like the Fallout & TES series will always be my top picks.

8 years ago

Fallout 4 was one of two AAA titles I bought last year. I liked it a lot, but I primarily play the series for the story, which I found to be pretty weak compared to even Fallout 3.

The other one I bought was Splatoon, which wins by default because you play as a squid.

8 years ago

Splatoon seems fun but I'm limited to PC games :D

8 years ago

I like it a lot, but I also have an inexplicable aversion to playing online competitive multiplayer games...it just stresses me out. Why did I buy it, then? I dunno, squids.

8 years ago

Terraria is the best game i played in 2015, It has a special power that each time i back home i need launch the game. do some dig, construct a structure, and kill some monsters. Finally i still need quit the game because i have some games in my waiting playing queue, but i still not uninstall the game,

8 years ago

Best game in 2015 i played is defense grid and since i love tower defense game alot, this game is so epic for me and if you like tower defense, i would like you to pick up this game :)

8 years ago

Bump

8 years ago

Cities: Skylines so far.

I like cities, and I just love to build (simulated) cities. Even though I'm not majoring in city planning, over the past years (since 10 years ago, before joining Steam) I played a lot of SimCity 4. Even though my actual city building time was majorly spent in EA's SimCity series, in 2015 I really played a lot of CSL since Paradox released the title. Basically I love to see all the skyscrapers grow in the cities I personally designed, as well as trying out some new city layouts. It's pretty much a sandbox allowing you to unleash your innovation, develop and refine, deal with the problems in your cities. CSL also has a pretty cool 3D view.

One thing that bothered me pretty much was the traffic issue, since congestion happens quite commonly, especially on your highways/ramps or when you have more intersections. It continues bothering me when my city grows larger. Nevertheless it's quite awesome, just haven't played for a month. The "I want it all" achievement is a little bit way too hard when I have the Deluxe Edition.

8 years ago

Everything I know about Cities Skylines I learned from this article. Which is almost enough to make me want to buy it, honestly.

8 years ago

Try Brawlhalla if you ever played smash bros :) It's in beta, but it's basically smash bros for the pc. Best game i played in (december) 2015

8 years ago

I love Smash Bros, but Brawlhalla didn't click with me after a few matches. The main issues for me were that the characters didn't feel distinct, and the hit detection seemed off. I might give it another shot if it's improved since then.

8 years ago

There has been some updates apparently. And the characters aren't memorable indeed.

8 years ago

Fractured Space, no contest

8 years ago

Thanks for the GA! :)

And then about the best game... let me see. I was away from games for a long time(the reason is a long story, anyway), only collecting from time to time, oh I played some iOS Final Fantasy Series... because they localized the games but I would not nominate FF the best.

I bought Walking Dead Season 2 in Black Friday sale, then cleared it in X-mas season with my Mother(64 year old) watching together.
When I played Season 1 with my Mother 2 years ago, she liked characters very much, so I delayed for our together time. :)
It was good time, I can say, she was very happy to see Clementine again. The game was good, though choices were tough, and I became a bit sad because I believe children must live in good condition.

8 years ago

That's a nice story. I'd like to try the Walking Dead games at some point. I really liked Telltale's Fables game.

8 years ago

My favourite games that I played last year were:
Pillars of Eternity: Similar to Baldur's gate, but with a more logical rule system, and some modern quality of life things. Great writing, fun tactical combat, lots of variety, it earns my top spot for last year.

Closely followed by The Talos Principle. Finally a puzzle heavy game better than Riven. About time. The game was incredibly addictive, and even when not playing, I ended up thinking about the puzzles. Interesting story and beautiful environment helped as well.

The Witcher 3 Third place for last year goes to The Witcher 3. Bethesda is no longer the king of open world RPGs. Good writing, some very memorable quests, a world that felt believable, and the game was gorgeous. A few small flaws keeps it from the top spot, but it was a great game.

8 years ago

I'd really like to check out Pillars of Eternity. If I'm not mistaken a lot of people who worked on New Vegas worked on it, and I feel like 80% of my posts here consist of babbling about how much I love New Vegas.

My girlfriend is currently playing The Talos Principle in the next room. I'm definitely planning on giving it a shot sometime soon.

8 years ago

That's hard to tell.. I should make some sort of graph/table comparing various aspects to be able to choose one =P

8 years ago

While not strictly necessary, that level of effort would definitely be enough to get you on my whitelist.

8 years ago

I played Bedlam last year for the first time (thanks CowOfDarkness! :D), and really enjoyed it. I'm usually the kind of person who struggles to not give up on a game if I'm finding even a small portion of it boring or overly difficult (am currently struggling with the first Bioshock), but with Bedlam, I think I completed the whole thing in less than a week of enjoyment. It had lovely voice acting, hilarious dialogue, references, nostalgic levels and layouts, a cool story, and very satisfying FPS gameplay that kept me going. I played it while it was in early access, and I don't know if that is the issue, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have been as well received after that. Maybe they changed something? Or maybe I didn't mind its faults so much.

More people should try it out!

8 years ago

Uhm... I don't know if I could tell just one game, but this 2015 I started playing hidden object games. I started with Frankenstein: Master of Death because it was really cheap on sale, but I got surprised by the genre, which I didn't thought that I would like. Since then, I've played other similar games and enjoyed the time spent with them. Of course, I've played other good games of other genres (Bioshock Infinite, for example, which I loved), but I think that this surprise that I got when I played HO games is well worth telling.

8 years ago

Total War: Attila. It's my first time trying one of the Total War games and even though I suck at real time strategy games and it was a bit daunting to learn the mechanics of the game, I'm having a blast playing it. It reminds me a lot of Mount & Blade Warband (which is another favorite), except instead of commanding one unit your commanding gigantic armies. It's really satisfying trying to figure out the best tactics to wipe out your opponent's army. Also, there's an element of politics in the game, which is really interesting. I've only scratched the surface of it, but I love the fact that you can promote, influence, assassinate, etc. your political allies/enemies; it adds a whole 'nother depth to the game (reminds me of Crusader Kings, except it's much more fun and accessible).

P.S. I know it didn't come out in 2015, but I picked up Shadows of Mordor GOTY this year and it's also one of my favorite games ever. The Nemesis system is done so brilliantly, it just wants to make you want to keep playing over and over again.

8 years ago

I think I'd have to say CS:GO on the best game part. I've had it for over a year, but I found my love for the competitive aspect that the game has. I've now spent over 300 hours on the game, which I'd say is quite a lot, seeing as it is my most played game this year.
Since I can't run modern games on my potato of a PC, I'm happy to play something like that too.

It seems that I've been blacklisted. Sorry about that. Anyway, I hope you have an awesome year! :D
Probably was me being horrible at english xD

8 years ago

Thanks a lot for Downwell, ASD!

My definite favourite game of last year is Undertale. I played the demo and liked it. My friend gifted me the game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters, story and humour sure was great, but the thing that made this game go from 'great' to 'Game of The Year' was that final boss. It gave me serious goosebumps even after I finished.

8 years ago

Early Access - Under developement =d
The list of games I've enjoyed in 2015 might seem quite weird, as always :

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons

Very interesting and exciting game to play :

• The visual part is really brilliant and it always changes while you move towards the story.
  • I can describe the genre of a game as a puzzling story-driven platformer.
  • Designed for 2 people to play on a same PC/Console (One plays the elder brother and the other one plays the junior).
  • The strange feeling after the game that made me wish to play more games like this one.
  • I can count A Tale of Two Sons as a YOPO(YouOnlyPlayOnce) experience so try to get every achievement and explore every corner of its' wonderful world.

Two Worlds II

Another name for it would be - "The RPG : Improved & Enhanced Edition"

• Price - I'd call that game "priceless", because I got this game for free and didn't expect anything decent.
  • Genre is Third-Person Role-Playing Game as I always love to play (Gothic,Risen).
  • However there is a plot that makes you a real person in game's world so you cannot be an
  • Graphic part is average mainly because it was released a long time ago by "not so big" devs.
  • You can do many things which used to be in many different RPGs but now all the features are mixed and take place here.
  • Large open world to explore, hundreds of interesting quests to do.There are really many Not "kill the raiders and come back 10 times" quests.
  • Some kinds of transport for you so you don't have to walk all the world on foot.
  • Inventory is easy to navigate and use, crafting and upgrading is nice, alchemy is the best potion-brewery I've ever seen.
  • MAGIC! You can craft your own magic using different elements and then merge them all to create something S.P.E.C.I.A.L.
  • Leveling-up system rocks! Skill system too! You want a new skill - find a book with all the info about it! Wanna upgrade it? Increase your "stats" first!
  • Difficulty is OK, some games have untweakable difficulty, some are too easy on "very hard", some are too difficult from the very beginning and scare gamers =D
  • There are some "jobs" and instruments for them and I'm still not familiar with them.
  • All the things I'd want to mention but there are many things I like in this game =P

Can I sell games?

8 years ago*

I'm surprised and disappointed I don't own Two Worlds 2 with all the times it's been bundled or free. It actually looks pretty good.

8 years ago

Isn't it still available on dlh.net?
Also there is a Two Worlds : Epic Edition as a prequel,which was free too =d

8 years ago

dlh.net says it's out of keys for both of them, so I guess I missed out. Oh well.

8 years ago

Besides something obvious like Nuclear Throne (dear lord, that game is so good!),
there are two games I bought on Steam in 2015 which I found incredibly good, one despite itself.

First one is Massive Chalice. Please note I wasn't a kickstarter backer, so I didn't feel betrayed.
To me, it is the best mix of tactical and strategic layer I ever played. Yes, the mechanics are simple, and the game is unfair if one plays it the way it is meant to be played (beyond the normal difficulty setting). But it is a very cohesive and, although it asks someone to place some attention into it, a very rewarding narrative. If some of you didn't try it because of the bad press, I suggest you do, as there is a nice little game looking to hurt you in there.

My favorite game of the year that is available on Steam though was hands down Renowned Explorers: International Society. It presents itself as a roguelite board game of sort (again, mixing tactical and strategic layers), excepting it is absolutely not : it is as true a rogue-like you can get, beyond its appearance. The game design is also very, very smart, with a lot of systems and tricks to learn. Runs are of perfect length for me (i.e. pretty short), and the game is overly charming. Except for the soundtrack, which I find just "meh", though it was done that way for some purpose.
If you play it for discovery though, ironically, the game will run dry quickly on you ;)

I'll add a plug for a wonderful gem, not available on Steam sadly, and probably overpriced in the mind of most : Approaching Infinity. It is the space rogue game I personally ever dreamed of. I can't stop playing it, and the game even pushed me into watching Star Trek for the first time ;) A generous demo is available (limited in content, but still hours of gameplay inside), and if you enjoy it, you will probably love the full game. Here is hoping it gets released on Steam in the future to get all the attention it deserves (and the author said it would be more sensibly priced too).
Also, its soundtrack is absolutely amazing.

Somehow all the games I loved this year sort of fall into the same genre. One of those yearly state of mind, I guess!

8 years ago

I bought Nuclear Throne shortly after it entered EA and hated pretty much everything but the sound and character designs. I gave it another shot after it left EA, and I've been playing it obsessively since then. One of these days I'll loop...

Approaching Infinity looks pretty interesting, but outside of my price range at the moment. I'll definitely check out the soundtrack, though.

8 years ago

Ha ha, I can relate: I disliked Nuclear Throne at first (especially the music), but now that it's got its hooks under my skin...
I guess that is the main common feature between that game and The Binding of Isaac, in my case XD

8 years ago

I didn't really keep track of the updates, but I think they did fix a lot of the things that annoyed me about it at first. Too bad they're slowing down updates now, with the game still being pretty buggy...

8 years ago

Indeed, though I heard there is whispering of a possible update in a couple of days...
The non-working state of the Dailies is especially painful T_T

8 years ago

The best game I played in 2015 was probably Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, though to tell the truth I didn't really play much in 2015. It's a vast upgrade to the original game that used the flash engine, and there's all the extra content too.

The best game I played in 2015 that came out that year was Evoland 2, a major improvement over the original in my opinion, though I don't know if I'd buy it for full price ($20 currently).

8 years ago

I play a lot of Binding of Isaac. I picked up the Afterbirth DLC last year, but I wasn't too impressed with it...or how they handled the launch...

8 years ago

Yeah, from what I saw it's always good to wait a while before buying Binding of Isaac or an expansion for it, so the glitches/bugs can be mostly ironed out.

8 years ago

Closed 8 years ago by AttackSlugD.