Playing Matters Recruitment Topic v2

Playing Matters is a group that values playing wins from SteamGifts. We hope to create a respectable and dependable platform to unite friendly and passionate gamers.
Our group is not so much about making giveaways, but about enjoying what we already have and sharing fun with like-minded people. We aim to create a friendly and enjoyable atmosphere in our group.

We fully encourage fun little chats to take place in our group giveaways. Additionally we have our own Discord server for our members to make new friends and enjoy each other’s company while also enjoying our wins.

Before applying to join our group, please make sure that:

How to apply:

If you meet the requirements mentioned above and want to join, reply to this topic stating that you are applying to the group and tell us a bit about your favourite SG win. It doesn’t have to be much - maybe a sentence or two.

Creating a BLAEO account is not required but we’d still like you to post the link to your profile if you have it, whether you use it actively or not.

We will have a look at your profile(s) and contact you in due time.

We hope to see you among us. Have fun winning games and playing them!

Please don’t send friend requests to mods or admins.

If you don't receive a direct reply within a reasonable amount of time (up to 48 hours), your application is likely under consideration. Also, if your application is rejected please don’t allow this to break your spirit. Instead use it as a motivation to discover and enjoy new games among your SG wins. Who knows, maybe your next favourite game is right around the corner.

5 years ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

i'd like to join please. i've been only here a few days but i have a lot of games to giveaway. as for my favorite SG win.. well i've only won one so far and it was one of those cheap featured games. nothing too exciting haha, but i'd like to change that :)

4 years ago

....then join giveaways for stuff you'd wanna play instead of "cheap featured games" that aren't "too exciting"......?

4 years ago

that's exactly what i do. but it's hard to say no when someone is giving away 100's of keys for 0-5P, why not? all my other entries are for games i look forward to putting some time into playing.
anyway, check my giveaways, they're all quality. i'd like to contribute to the group.

4 years ago

If half of our group can say no to joining something like Cyberpunk 2077, I'm sure it's possible to say no to other things that just clutter the library for no reason... :)

Not sure why you keep bringing up your giveaways either as we have no requirements for that, nor is it a criteria by which we invite anyone to the group.

4 years ago

cheap games need love too. just because i'm not jumping out of my skin to play them doesn't mean i never will. and with a much higher chance of getting a key at a much lower price, i say again, why not? cheap doesn't inherently mean bad. when i say cheap i mean inexpensive, and to be objective, most likely low quality. which those particular games (from the bit i've seen) absolutely are. i am sorry if that offends any of those devs that happen to read this. it's probably much, much better than i could do..

i bring up my giveaways because this is a site created specifically for that purpose. i would think it would carry some weight when someone falls short on other criteria, as is the case with some other groups, especially for newer members who haven't had a chance to fill said criteria. to be honest though, i'm sure yourself and other members will still be able to access my group giveaways.

and then "criteria"... "game completion". i always finish every game i start unless i absolutely can't for whatever reason, including achievements. i'm a big stickler for achievements. unfortunately i am new to this site, and have only won one game so far, exactly one week ago. it just happens to be an inexpensive, low quality game that i really don't feel like dropping the current triple-a title i'm playing in favor of it.

so forgive me for requesting to join your coveted secret society. i'm new to this site and simply would like to get some games to people who want them instead of laying them open to bots and who-knows-who. everyone i've met on this website has been genuinely nice and appreciative until you stepped in with your thinly-veiled arrogance. i truly regret stumbling across your group.

4 years ago

cheap games need love too

Yes, we know - that's the point of the group.

i bring up my giveaways because this is a site created specifically for that purpose. i would think it would carry some weight when someone falls short on other criteria

Translation: I didn't bother actually reading anything in the recruitment topic, which clearly states everything in this respect.

unfortunately i am new to this site, and have only won one game so far, exactly one week ago. it just happens to be an inexpensive, low quality game that i really don't feel like dropping the current triple-a title i'm playing in favor of it.

Translation: Again, I didn't actually bother reading anything in the recruitment topic, so why not disregard the group rules and just invite me straight away anyway?

so forgive me for requesting to join your coveted secret society. i'm new to this site and simply would like to get some games to people who want them instead of laying them open to bots and who-knows-who. everyone i've met on this website has been genuinely nice and appreciative until you stepped in with your thinly-veiled arrogance.

Funny, you didn't read our requirements, you want us to invite you despite not meeting our criterias, try to find any excuse possible just to not play whatever you won, and then you're the one that gets offended. Yeah, no. Hopefully you'll manage to avoid stumbling across our group in the future.

4 years ago

no, i did read everything posted in this topic and the group page. your core criteria is game completion, specifically games won on this site. we've already gone over that bit. i would simply hope you would have taken into consideration my completion for games not won on the site. yet, your first reply was -

"....then join giveaways for stuff you'd wanna play instead of "cheap featured games" that aren't "too exciting"......?"

which seems i struck a nerve, or offended you, with my initial post. ya know, the ellipses and the question mark kinda convey irritation. it also didn't give me a straight answer, so i tried again to be friendly. but whatever, it is what it is. just saying, i've seen other groups that have alternative criteria for newer members that haven't won games. a simple "sorry, the rules are firm, try again when you've won more games" would have been better.

you didn't read our requirements

i did.

you want us to invite you despite not meeting our criterias

eh, i was throwing the idea out there.

try to find any excuse possible just to not play whatever you won

you gonna drop shadow of the tomb raider to play ROMBY? i doubt it.

and then you're the one that gets offended

believe me, not being invited to your group is the least of my worries

4 years ago*

which seems i struck a nerve

I would lie if I said that's not true, except not for the reasons you seem to think. A lot of people apply to groups like ours but then claim they have a lot of unplayed wins from back when they "joined for everything they could just to get a win", with no intention of playing it in the future <- Notice any similarities there?

a simple "sorry, the rules are firm, try again when you've won more games" would have been better.

Does not apply in your case, only for people with zero wins. In your case, you have one untouched game and a reason to avoid playing said win, hence the cynicism.

4 years ago

what similarities? i have one win, from my first couple days, that i will eventually get to playing. i don't enter every giveaway just hoping for a win. i am literally giving away game keys for games that i don't even own yet. i don't care to get another +1 on my games owned. yes, i enter some of the featured games.. the ones that are 100's of keys for practically free entry, but that's it. my first 2-3 days here i was a bit wasteful with my entry points, until i looked harder and realized there are good giveaways for games that i want to play, and groups that often hold those giveaways. it's laughable to think that anyone midway through shadow of the tomb raider wold drop it in favor of ROMBY. i mean call it a "reason" or "excuse" or whatever you want, but seriously i'm at least gonna complete my current game first before i start playing anything else.

4 years ago

Literally nobody asked you to drop your current game to play another - you could've just applied after you actually met the requirements instead of making all this fuss while you're sitting at 0% wins played and thinking we'd invite you based on promises for some reason. Anyway, I'm done here as you don't seem to understand why trying to change the rules of a group you're applying to makes no sense.

4 years ago

oh, no i understood that a while ago. what i don't understand is why you had to come off like a jerk about it.

4 years ago

Hey i would like to join

4 years ago

I'm sure you want to join something, but probably not this group.

Games with ≥1 Achievement 1.64% (1/61)
Achievement Rates ≥25% complete: 0.00% (0/61), completed: 0.00% (0/61)

4 years ago

i would like to apply, i'm already PlayingM. group member.
Best SG win for me is Football Manager 2017. Why? Look at my profile FM07 hours (1433h) and I'm still playing it.

4 years ago

It's great that you cherished one win that much, but that's not enough to get invited I'm afraid.

Games with ≥1 Achievement 4.49% (7/156)
Achievement Rates ≥25% complete: 0.641% (1/156), completed: 0.00% (0/156)

4 years ago

I would like to join the group, I only join my Steam wishlist GAs and would like to increase my odds here.

My fav SG win is "This War of mine" last year its devs made a free weekend to promo their new game "Frostpunk" really liked that game and wanted to play more of it ... a wish came true a few months ago.

4 years ago

I'd love to join if possible :)
BLAEO: https://www.backlog-assassins.net/users/PapaSmok
As for my favorite SG win, there were many great, but if I had to choose one, I'd go with The Talos Principle for fun puzzles and philosophical questions.

4 years ago

Hi there, I'd like to join the group.
I'm a member of playing appretiated since the start I believe, so it won't be a problem for me play and finish games I won and to make some decent GAs

4 years ago

Games with ≥1 Achievement
35.9% (69/192)
Achievement Rates chart
≥25% complete: 21.9% (42/192), completed: 1.56% (3/192)

At the moment you do not fulfill our minimal requirement in amount of wins played.
Since playing your wins is not a problem for you, hopefully we will see you one day in PM.
Good playing, have fun!

4 years ago

ops didn't see that requirement ...anyway I play for fun, not for achievements, sometimes even finished game won't give you 25%
Also what is completed? 100%? Good luck with meat boy, hollow night etc

4 years ago

≥25% complete

This is the relevant part.

We are aware that some games can be finished with not getting even 25% of the achievements, nor we ask for any specific achievement hunting.
That's why, considering all the different possible circumstances, we require the minimal statistics of only as little as 50% of wins on that department :3

This is quite clearly stated on group information page, FAQ and Guidelines.

4 years ago*

50% of all games I won? well no chance I'm gonna able to do it, it's not like I have 10 wins))
Some of them I won early days, I won't touch them, some I just wanted to have in my collection (some I beat on other platforms, some I got on physical disks before steam)

4 years ago

Hello I would like to join.

I love Dark Souls series. So wining DS 3 was a blessing. Also i really loved the games i have won in the last 15 or so. Everyone of them was another gem and i was really happy after i have finished them. Before that i cant say i enjoyed much of my wins. I entered without proper look of them. So if i dont have enough to enter now, probably wont have in the future. I dont have that script to tell right now. :)

4 years ago

Edit: realized you were already in the group after posting but as you said you don't have the script to tell right now

Games with ≥1 Achievement
97.2% (35/36)
Achievement Rates chart
≥25% complete: 72.2% (26/36), completed: 19.4% (7/36)

I love the dark souls series too :3

4 years ago*

I actually installed it after a couple of days to see it for myself. I got curious. :) Also remembering that 1 game that i couldn't get any achievement. I am not a completionist still it bothers me but Overture is more bothersome to finish. :D Thanks for sharing though. o/

4 years ago

Hi there, I'd like to join the group.
I'm a member of playing appretiated since the start I believe, so it won't be a problem for me play and finish games.I pretty play video games all day

4 years ago

Seeing as you haven't won anything on SG yet, it's quite difficult to judge whether you would fit in our group or not. Might wanna consider applying to something like Unlucky-7 (or Playing Appreciated since you're not actually a member of that group either) to get you started :)

4 years ago

please accept me I don't have enough luck in life :)

4 years ago

Hello, can I join you group if I hadn't win any GA yet?

I enter only those GAs that I really will play.
Because I don't like to fill my account with unnecessary games only "for quantity".

For example, recently I have entered about 50 giveaways for Nairi because I really want to play it =)

4 years ago

Hello! I'd really like to join, if possible. I only enter giveaways for games I'd really, really like to play! :)

I've been pretty unlucky, so I just won 2 games until now, but one of them, Tiny Echo, is a really beautiful game that I'm so glad I won and had the chance to play because I didn't even knew it existed before I saw the giveaway here on this site. I looked at the store page before entering, and it seemed promising. It's pretty short and simple, but I loved playing it. I especially liked the art style and the soundtrack.

4 years ago

Hi. I would like to join, I always play the games I win and hopefully have achieved on average the 25% achievements; one note is that the commands and colors: the great war has broken achievements and devs did nothing to repair that. Link (https://steamcommunity.com/app/449460/discussions/0/1696043806572117514/)
The best game I have won is the Divinity OS 2 which I am trying to finish now. I am a fan of RPGs (especially BG 2) and this game thicks all the boxes for me.
Cheers

4 years ago

Hey :) I would love to join. I’m already in Playing Appreciated and Play a game you won on SG because I think you should only apply for games you definitely want to play.
I also prefer to gift games to people who think the same way, give the games a good chance and hopefully enjoy them. In your group I really like the approach with the achievements.
So far I never really paid attention to them, but with my first win, Batman Arkham Origins, I did, and it was a lot of fun to not only finish the game but get to 25% (even though it was quite grindy at times :D).
Of course I will keep this up with future wins :) Hope to hear from you!

4 years ago

I am glad that process was fun after all. There is something related to grindy unlocking of 25% of achievements.

I haven't personally yet played any Batman games ever. I like Batman, but not the cartoony/marvel one, rather the one from Batman/Batman returns; dark, serious, professional like a special agent :3 This dark knight first film was alright too in my taste.

I am really glad that some new users plan to play all their wins on this site, "from day one". This is quite heart-warming. If playing groups will direct even more people to this approach, the better.

4 years ago

Yep, after initially being overwhelmed by all the free games, I decided I only want to enter GAs for games I really want, because otherwise I’d feel bad for taking this experience away from someone who really wanted to play it. (similar reason I decided to join SG at all - to give away unneeded keys instead of just activating and never using them) And honestly these playing groups are great because they make you think twice before entering. Not only if you want to play it at all, but if you will do so in the coming weeks or months. I like that.

It was my first Batman game, too. Really makes you feel like Batman, because you can play very stealthy :3 So it might be for you. As for the achievements - I completely understand that you have to set up some ground rules that help you find likeminded people and keep everything fair. And I can only imagine how time consuming all this must be. So I hope you didn’t think I was complaining. :)

4 years ago

Can i be in?

4 years ago

No.

4 years ago

why? I got any req

4 years ago

Marcuria, we are still reviewing and discussing, but I would like to note something regarding your situation and other potential applying people in similar situation. In particular, having low number of wins which are beaten but did not unlock 25% of achievements and making the total recruitment requirement fail.

Playing Matters does not care of achievements. The goal is beating the wins (which includes also giving the best possible try to beat all previous wins). If you started to enjoy unlocking the achievements, very good for you. Achievements are certainly not one of the group values. Enjoying wins - is :3

Why do we have to rely on achievement statistics then? Because there is no simple way to say if game is beaten or not.

At best, it can be checked manually on Steam if the game has achievements corresponding to beating this game. If game doesn't have any achievements, time played can be taken in account but it is not much of a credible measure for anything except games Not played. Achievements can also be cheated of course. We do some manual checking of information we have regarding a new application, and if we invite new people, we choose to trust them and their provided statistics until a precedent proving us wrong.
But we can not check manually big volumes of games of course, only a few selected ones.

Hence we use aggregated statistics over wins with achievements. From our perspective, we just have to draw a line for counting games beaten or not beaten en masse, just looking at statistics and not checking every win of every person manually whether it is beaten or not - which is simply not feasible. We have chosen 25% for that which is already a low boundary since majority of games does unlock 25% of achievements much before the games are beaten and pretty much automatically, even if gamer doesn't care of this.
But minority of games does not. And if a new person applying to our group has these wins, it means they may "have to" play beaten games more to unlock new achievements - which of course is not our intention.
We will think if this can be improved without bringing complications.

Some people are using BLAEO site to mark their own wins' status, which is the best option. And BLAEO site crawls playtime and achievement information automatically from Steam. We prefer to rely on BLAEO page if it exists.
I wish something like this was integrated in SG for all willing users to mark what they did with wins, and factual info being provided there on the same page, crawled with SG SYNC even if profile is private - disclosing this information could perfectly be a part of user agreement. Unfortunately, emphasizing on honesty, meaningful and empathic distribution of gifts given by fellow community members, appreciation and respect towards each others efforts and such things were never a thing in major SG culture; ideas of this were never included in SG guidelines/rules etc. so how and why would new users be pointed to this. I don't say this is some sort of conscious choice in SG mechanics design and SG community cultural development. Rather an unfortunate lack.

4 years ago*

Deleted

This comment was deleted 4 years ago.

4 years ago

Hi there.

It's good that you started going through your old wins and beating them, but unfortunately we do not recruit people that use SAM or similar achievement unlocking tools.

Have a nice day too :)

4 years ago

Appreciate you calling me a cheater though or treating me like one, some great recruitment and socializing there.. Honestly I don't wanna join a group where stuff like this happens anyway.

4 years ago*

You're right, it's not cheating, it's "surprise achievement unlocking" ;)

Fortunately, we don't want you in the group and you don't wanna join, so at least we have matching philosophies :)

1, 2, astats ban

No, locking achievements and then unlocking them again doesn't really help your case, if you were wondering since you've done that for JumpJet Rex since your application

4 years ago

lol, if you looked you would see I unlocked many achievements by playing.... I really don't care for your approval and can see why you have so few people but nice try trying to belittle me but it won't work, good luck with your group and thanks for pushing me away from wanting to join.

4 years ago

If pointing out that you used achievement unlocking software by using examples when you tried to victimize yourself is "belittling you", sure :)

but unfortunately we do not recruit people that use SAM or similar achievement unlocking tools.

(just in case you forgot to read the part that clearly mentions why you won't be invited)

Anyway, glad to be of service and hopefully we're done here since you said yourself that you're not seeking our approval! :)

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Can I join please?, I think I meet your requirements now

4 years ago

Good job on your win backlog :3
Requirement reads "more than 50%". And the more the merrier.
If you don't mind, also update your BLAEO account.

Consider how much more there should be thinking at least of practicalities, e.g. a minimum statistics of 50% should be maintained at all times. Including times when winning new games. It is most advisable to increase the fraction of beaten wins continuously and not being on this minimal threshold. Savor your wins, we are not closing tomorrow.

4 years ago

oh I see, thanks

4 years ago

I have not won anything on SG yet. I guess you must first win a game before entering the group?

4 years ago

Yes, however you could try applying to Playing Appreciated and soon you should be able to apply to Unlucky7 as well.

Do note that in case you do decide to come back and apply in the future, you will need to set your game details and playtime to public.

4 years ago

My first game played was GTA San Andreas and my first bought game was csgo bag because now is free I had a lot of fun time in csgo a long time ago now is full of hackers

4 years ago

OK, new PC built and many backlog games played, may I re-enter group?

4 years ago

Hi, you must have confused us with another group, as you were never a member of Playing Matters.

Also, you do not currently meet the minimum requirements.

Achievement Rates ≥25% complete: 36.4% (59/162), completed: 14.8% (24/162)

4 years ago

Deleted

4 years ago

Hi I'd like to apply. I'm already a part of Playing Appreciated. I believe I've played more than half my wins, but I don't know if I meet the 25% achievement required. My favorite win would have to be War of Human the Human Tanks - Alter. I love the soundtrack. I hope you have a great Friday/weekend.

4 years ago

≥25% complete: 35.8% (19/53)

4 years ago

Thanks for letting me know urbanus :-)

4 years ago

No problem. :) Keep playing and come join us one day.

4 years ago

Hello, I would like to join.

4 years ago

Hi,

Although you do indeed meet the minimum requirements, our team didn't find strong enough bases for inviting you at this time. Hope you continue to enjoy your sg wins, though :)

4 years ago

Hi, I would like to apply to the group. My favorite SG win is The Wolf Among Us, I really like the telltale style of games where you get to make moral choices. I also thought the idea of fairytale characters in a modern setting was really interesting. It's a shame we will probably never see a sequel to the game because of telltale going out of business :/

Games with ≥1 Achievement 100% (11/11)
≥25% complete: 81.8% (9/11)

BLAEO profile: https://www.backlog-assassins.net/lists/rlw5qql

Thanks, have a good day!

4 years ago

Sounds good. Haven't played it, but have heard a lot of positive feedback about The Wolf Among Us.

You have 5 years old SG account, with wins distributed through these 5 years close to uniformly. Current statistics indeed fits our recruitment requirements, but your account seems reanimated just this July. This month is about the time big part of your wins was either finished or played in the first place, or in some other cases played until reaching 25%+ achievement mark.

And you have played otherwise very little during all the time in past. Why is all that? Can you share what are the changes or what is going on? Because this is confusing.

We would like to note that "rushing" wins, in other words playing through game content with minimal time investment / involvement to beat the game "formally", is not welcomed. We do not know the story regarding your past wins which you played very briefly this month, but regarding SG wins generally (and especially all the future wins), we do not want to "make" people play something they are not genuinely interested in themselves.
Instead we wish to gather individuals who do learn to understand what they really want, who wish/take part in giveaways for what they want, and who are ready to give the best effort to enjoy and appreciate gifts they receive from other community members.

4 years ago*

Well, I've been really busy finishing high school with 9+ hour days plus studying french on the side. Since I intend to become a profesional musician, most of my free time was devoted to practicing. Luckily, since I graduated I can manage my own free time better and play more often.

Also, last year, my hard drive died and for a while I had no pc to game on. Losing my hard drive, meant losing my save files for Mr Shifty and Aviary Attorney, since none of those support cloud save. That did not help because i was more than midway through both games, and I had to start them all over again.

So, I was browsing SG discussions the other week and i stumbled upon MouseWithBeer's "Play a game you won on SG" group, and that led me to play Aviary Attorney from the begining again. Being a big Ace Attorney fan, I remembered why I liked Aviary Attorney so much, plus the setting and music are fantastic. After finishing it, I decided to give Party Hard and Snake Pass a second try. The first time I played each one, I found their mechanics a bit frustrating (specially Snake Pass), and considering I had very little time, I gave up on both. This time, I managed to master the mechanics of each game and I ended up enjoying them a lot.

After having a positive experience with "Play a game you won on SG" I decided to search for similar groups and I found this topic. I read through other applications and I saw that you seemed fairly restrictive when it comes to accepting new members. I didn't want to be rejected since I liked the idea of the group so much, that I played a bit of Swipecart so I could reach the 25% threshold. This is the only game I was not that interested in playing, but again, I did it just in case, so I could have better odds of being accepted.

In regards to "rushing" wins; since I'm on holidays right now, I have way more time to play games, so I did that. I did not feel I rushed the games I played, I simply wanted to play them and I did it. For a while now, I've been only entering giveaways for wishlisted games, so I wouldn't feel "forced" to play them. Before entering GAs I look up reviews to make sure I am truly interested and that I will play them.

To recap, I have my pc back again, I have more free time since I finished school and I am quite selective about which giveaways I enter, so I know I will want to play them if I win them.

Thank you for reading, hopefully that answers your questions and clears up any confusion.

4 years ago

Thank you for clarification. Our mod team discussion will continue from here and we will contact you in one way or another shortly (1-2 days).

I loved the Aviary Attorney game a lot, on many levels, from story and character development to the whole successful French revolution setting and intelligent humor.
I remember I pressed screenshot button a million of times when playing only to find in the end that overlay didn't work at all :D Game has so many cute, smart or hilarious moments..

4 years ago*

No problem! Looking foward to your answer!

I really thought the game's writing was great, so witty. Also the music from classical composers, like Camille Saint-Saëns and Debussy, was incredible. I am currently practicing a piece called L'elephant from Le Carvanal des Animaux for piano and double bass that is featured in the game :D

Anyway, Thanks for taking me into considaration.

4 years ago

Can I join tanks I like this group

4 years ago

Hello.

From this group rules and guidelines:

We are interested in members who played more than 50% of wins with 25% achievement completion. For members with fewer than 10 wins, 80% played for games with 25% achievement completion is required to join.

You clearly do not meet requirements to join this group, and were already rejected before. So repeating your application, without doing anything to meet group requirements, will be considered to be a spam.

4 years ago

Can i join your group mate. Cheers

4 years ago

Hi, you do not currently meet the minimum requirements to apply for our group.

Achievement Rates ≥25% complete: 6.67% (1/15), completed: 6.67% (1/15)

4 years ago

Oh, i though the rules were about the games when i win in the group. My bad.

4 years ago

Closed 4 years ago by bludshade.