Was browsing reddit and saw this thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3zc7o2/i_found_out_that_avast_was_putting_its_own/

It's true, tested it with the win10 mail client, I don't like that so I'm completely unistalling avast and switching back to avira (overreacting? probably).
Here's a guide on how to disable it, but often doesn't work:
http://www.getavast.net/support/remove-e-mail-signature/comment-page-13#comments
Be sure to vote in the poll :p

A small gib for your troubles :3

8 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Avast was acting stupid already, so I was thinking about uninstalling it, but now this, this even gives me a good reason, also are ads blocked by ad block?

8 years ago

nope, it appears as a small image at the bottom of your sent mail with the text next to it: " Sent by a virus free computer protected by Avast antivirus".

8 years ago

you can just turn it off.

options -> active protection -> mail shield -> behaviour -> and uncheck "insert note into clean message (outgoing)"

8 years ago

But what is the option "Enable Avast email signature" for?
I thought this is the one you have to disable D:

8 years ago

Oh maybe its this one :D I just remembered I turned it off.. didn't remember where exactly so I just opened avast and found something that sounded familiar lol.

8 years ago

You can, but something like that should be opt in not opt out

8 years ago

I totally agree. I was very surprised when I saw it in my email.

8 years ago

i dont even have antivirus.

8 years ago

who uses avast anyway its not that good

8 years ago

Really? It is one of my top choices for a free antivirus.

8 years ago

unistalling avast and switching back to avast

Doh, you fixed it. :X

View attached image.
8 years ago

I used the same gif today.

8 years ago

One of my favorite comedies. ;)

8 years ago

What one is it?

8 years ago

8 years ago

Thank's I'll check it out.

8 years ago

noticed as soon as I posted the thread XD

Names are so close XD

8 years ago

Wasn't that since always or something? I always had that avast signature at the bottom of my emails but I disabled it from Avast settings long time ago...

8 years ago

I stopped using Avast years ago when they started bloating it with features that I don't need or want.

8 years ago

I just switched from AVG to Avast cause AVG get's more and more annoying with all those ads for their other programms, and now Avast is doint shit like this -___-
But on the other hand, I don't use gmail, does that affect other email providers too? D:

8 years ago

I'm not sure, tried just now with my outlook account and the message doesn't appear.
You can try sending yourself a mail from a different account

8 years ago

Yeah I also don't get the message, regardless if the email signature is enabled or not.
But that's still a stupid move from Avast -_-

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

8 years ago

Thanks for the heads up.

8 years ago

The only browser in which the Avast signature is not inserted is Opera.

Problem solved. It's a lot better than Chrome anyway. ^.^

8 years ago

not the new one :-/ the "real" successor of Opera v12 is Vivaldi (actually made by veteran Opera devs) but still in beta

8 years ago

The new is better than Chrome too. Still, I'm waiting for Vivaldi to reach the point where I can finally make the transition and switch it as my main browser. Opera 10-12 were so much ahead of their times, I hope Vivaldi can capture even just one tenth of that level of cutting edge innovation.

8 years ago

Full ack on v10-12.

But the current one is blergh, it took them over a year to just get bookmarks in.. I see no reasonable progress there and while some few points are slightly better than chrome, other things are again not.. so I don't see it being ahead.

Vivaldi however, esp. for being still new and probably smaller team working on it, has surprisingly many good ole features in already. For me that one beats both C. and new-O. Still needs quite a bit of work and being chromium based sadly means it's an inefficient memory hog just like the others..

I've got my Cyberfox install customized with about 2 dozens addons which works quite well and actually surpasses O.v12 in functionality.

8 years ago

Sadly, Firefox-based ones are only good as secondaries for me, since some stuff I use are for Chromium-based browsers only. So in this regard I'm not too sad about Vivaldi's choice, although I do miss the Presto engine.

8 years ago

some stuff I use are for Chromium-based browsers only

example?

8 years ago

SteamNinja and Steam inventory helper, ReChat for Twitch, and the YouTube dashboard, Magic Actions for YouTube sits with me a lot better than the Firefox alternatives.

8 years ago

Am using Magic Actions for YouTube here too.

Haven't checked/seen the other ones yet.

8 years ago

Its been almost two years since I uninstalled my Antivirus software.
Not a single infection, not even addware or junkware.
All it takes is patience while installing third party sorftware.
It takes some researching .
I even browse shady websites to experiment.
I do a complete scan with Malwarebytes in safe mode every 4 months(uninstall it afterwards) and I check my task manager for suspicious services and processes running.

The joy of not having any false positives alarms, game and other software conflicting with the AV and not having to share my resources with the AV is enormous.
Don't do this if you don't have an external backup of your data.

8 years ago

I wouldn't advise this, personally. I got a virus from just visiting a website once, and it was because it was a new virus and I hadn't updated my anti-virus in a few days.

8 years ago

I forgot to say that I use Firefox with no-script, Ublock origin and HTTPS everywhere. So by using that it is almost impossible to get virus from entering websites. It takes some learning, specially no-script.

8 years ago

NoScript is especially frustrating to use for the average user.

8 years ago

Yeah hehehe, I remember the first time I used it, I thought I ruin my browser.

8 years ago

I tried using no-script... It seems like WAY more work to use that than just using AV... in my experience anyways. No-script just annoys me more than viruses lol

8 years ago

That makes sense.

8 years ago

Do you use IE?

8 years ago

See, now you've said that. It was years ago, I might well have done back then.

8 years ago

IE is a security nightmare, with "real" browsers getting a virus out of nowhere (e.g just browsing) is next to impossible.

8 years ago

I have not used a anti virus in years,they are over rated and at times blocked my legit programs.If you do not visit weird sites and click on links you do not know or open mail from random idiots i think you are pretty safe.I am the only user of my pc so i guess that helps but i have not had any virus in years.Though say have some sorta spyware installed,again i have not had much issues with that but it comes handy as sometimes even good software can turn on you,i mean by installing extra shit you do not not.

8 years ago

If you do not visit weird sites

Meh I'm out ._.

8 years ago

then i would need to stop visiting steamgifts.

People that give away games, sounds shady to me ^^

8 years ago

This site is totes a scam. I sent nudes to a guy named xxxsuper_SG_adminxxx and still no win GTA V D:

View attached image.
8 years ago

Websites that aren't "weird" and appear to be perfectly safe can end up having viruses, malware, etc...

8 years ago

Can be in most cases visiting Amazon or what not itself is usually safe,you have to worry more about them hacking there servers and getting your info that way then going to legit and trusted sites and getting a virus.

If you do not learn how to use the internet and how to protect yourself and you need virus protection and all that just to feel safe more power to ya.Still does not change the fact that i have not had an issue with viruses in some time.Spyware on the other hand that is something else and why i said you may want malware program as those are easier to slip into links and such,Most of the time it just trackers and shit or browser hijacks.

Even if i did some how get some bad virus not much they would get anyhow,i do not bank on this pc,and good luck logging into steam unless they have access to my mobile.So really they would be accessing nothing of use other then my email and my files are backed up.Anything i do not want to get out i do on my laptop that is not connected to net.

P.S do not use USB sticks or hard drives,they can be laced right from the factory with spyware/viruses

8 years ago

So, anyone that uses an antivirus, or any other protection program, doesn't know how to use the internet or how to protect themselves? Are you implying that those that choose to use protection are ignorant? If that's not what you meant, you should choose your words more wisely, because your condescending remark implies that's what you think. If that is actually what you meant, you should get off your high horse. Not using an AV doesn't make you any better than those that do, and vice versa. You prefer to be without protection, and that's fine, but what works for you won't necessarily work for everyone else. Perhaps some people don't have the time, or just don't want to do the extra work that an AV can take care of for them. Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry, and I have better things to do than be my own antivirus.

P.S. I'd rather just keep my AV and continue to use memory sticks and my HDD, thanks.

8 years ago

people actualy use avast ? wow...

8 years ago

The three As (avast, avira, AVG) have a nice market share due to offering a decent level of protection for free.

8 years ago

yeah but i tought nobody usees that anymore as its kinda old by now.

8 years ago

wtf...

8 years ago

I got sick of Avast causing problems, like CPU usage spikes... so, I switched to Kaspersky. I'm quite glad I did, it's much better.

8 years ago

Well, you switched from a mid-ranking freeware to the second best commercial AV on the market. It would have been interesting if you didn't see a huge step up in performance. :D

8 years ago

which one's the best? (please don't say bitdefender)

8 years ago

That one ranks at the top for years now, yes.

8 years ago

at ranking websites maybe, but actually using it quickly deterred me

8 years ago

I honestly don't even know if I have an antivirus on my computer. I have IObit Advanced SystemCare, does that even count? It's more like a "cleanup" tool than an antivirus, I think. Hell if I know. As long as you know what you're doing/where you're going online, eventually you don't even need an antivirus anymore (although it's highly recommended to have one).

8 years ago

Never used Avast...I've always used COMODO. Spybot, and Malware Bytes.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

8 years ago

Good heads-up, I think a combination of windows defender and malwarebytes is best for those who want a secure free option. I've had the best luck by using a combination of those two programs.

8 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 5 years ago.

8 years ago

I used a lot Avira years ago but I was forced to change to avast due to a memory leak, avira would quickly fill ram and cause a crash.

Used avast 'till I switched to my new pc and windows 8.1, got a ton of bluescreens and spent days troubleshooting looking for some defective components (pc was brand new) in the end it was avast XD

8 years ago

Isn't Win10 like the biggest privacy violator ever? Why are you worried about a third party program?

8 years ago

You never saw iOS then…

8 years ago

Not worried about privacy, it's not even the topic of the thread. I'm bothered by the fact that a program adds a "spamming message" to my mails.

8 years ago

That is absolutely not new... been there since around 2 years tells me brain.exe, also not the only ones doing that toottoot

8 years ago

Long time ago, when i was young and (more) stupid, i used a Panda online free scan, said scan ask you for an email account (in that time i used the same account for all) some days laters i opened an email from someone unkown for me (my second error) when i read the message i thought that was some kind of spam, but the next day my computer started to doing weird stuff.... some days later (after i solved the issue with a karspersky boot cd) an email from PANDA arrived, and the mail said something like, some days ago you could had recieve an email that could have virus, BUY our new panda antivirus blalbabla to be safe...

8 years ago

Real men don't use AVS. ;P

8 years ago

This is for a few years now. At least two. I don't know why people are surprised. And Avast is still the best, especially its free version is way better than the other free products. And I tried them all, or at least most of them.

8 years ago

Meh, the ad on email could have been worse and more invasive.

8 years ago

Putting a banner ad in email YOU send (making you look like you endorse the advertisement) is pretty damn invasive. Plus, if you were sending the email for work or to co-workers/employees, it makes you look bad and can even get you in trouble.

8 years ago

Great thing the email I use isn't for work. :^)

8 years ago

You're wrong about the business part, though. The message that an email was checked and can be trusted is something a lot of business partners like. And the ones that don't like it, don't care. The only occurrance where such an ad might be bad is the communication between friends/family etc.

8 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. Screw Avast. That's some seriously shady crap right there.

8 years ago

My suggestion is get either kaspersky or bitdefender or have no AV at all.

8 years ago

Closed 5 years ago by Pesm.