Here's the thing - I'm not old by any stretch, but I feel like time goes by the less I am willing to explain anything to others or even argue in order right wrongs or educate - it just feels like wasting energy in a pointless manner.

Here and there I'll feel rejuvenated and try to help others understand or try to discuss a serious topic, but most of the time I keep to casual chit-chat and my own projects and advancements.

This sort of apathy kinda worries me, but at the same time, does not, as it feels natural?

So I'm mostly wondering do any of you also feel that way, or what's your opinion on it.

4 years ago

Comment has been collapsed.

Well?

View Results
Yes
No
Sometimes
Potato

No, getting older makes you bitter about some things and disgusted by others.

4 years ago

Some people get complacent, others just value their own peace of mind and try to maintain their personal balance more, others just get a stronger radar for those who are totally unreachable vs those who are willing to actually tackle a subject in full honesty / openness. I think most people get a bit of each, and the more set in your ways you become, the more at risk we are of mutating into the next generational version of a prejudiced idiot (or mutating into a 'karen' archetype, heh). I also feel a lot of it has to do with how much energy you have to spare, how much you care about a given subject or event, and how much you believe a person is able to honestly listen (or how worth they are 'fighting for').

I think there are some subjects and things worth fighting for, but also that there is something to be said for picking your fights and valueing your own time, preserving a healthy / positive emotional state so you can keep on trucking, and being able to let some disagreements be. The correlation between age and maturity isn't always 1:1, and that degrees of selfishness or just plain tiredness is a kind of random roll as you age up?

Ultimately I feel the best way to prevent yourself becoming complacent or turning into an overly opinionated and insufferable person, is that the concept of being either genuinely bothers you. That alone can be a handy kind of recurring sonar ping to check yourself, and make sure you never quite go off the deep end in either direction, y'know?

Take this stuff with a pinch of salt though, I'm a bit of a trainwreck when it comes to being a fully functioning adult ;P

4 years ago

I'm pretty sure most of us are kids wearing adult suits :)

The balanced approach, like most "balanced things" sounds ideal to me, but I don't think it's easy, and I kinda feel that the longer you live it only gets harder. Then again those are just my personal experiences, I might be wrong.

4 years ago

You managed to stick a radar and a sonar in a navy unrelated post ;P

4 years ago

Damn, that must mean my metaphors are getting less muddy. I'll have to work on my keyboard mashing. |3c

4 years ago

no, age makes you smarter

4 years ago

38 here and what you're feeling is pretty much what happens when you're burnt out on explaining simple things that can be googled or when the person in front of you isn't interested in the answer you can bring to their question, even if they asked themselves about it.
There is so much energy we have and can spend into teaching others and sharing knowledge, I found myself burning out and my patience fading after 10 persons asking the same thing or when someone asks me something only to fight my answer because they asked only to have someone following their point of view.
When it comes to solutions, the only one I have is related to situation where you can be confronted often, aka in working situation or if you're playing a game and like to be part of the helping community. I simply write the basics of what is asked to me pretty much all the time and I give the guide to the person, telling them to read that first and then come to me to discuss what they didn't understand and how to put what is written into practice. Doing this saves a lot of my time and instead of repeating myself like a parrot, I can give specific help on the points that weren't understood.

4 years ago

36 here, and I'm glad you phrased this more eloquently than my post. Though usually I would tend towards grumping and inwardly phrasing this as "I'm old enough to know better", but usually I end up commiting the cardinal sin of the internet and looking at comment sections, which leads to me burning time and energy trying to talk people down from some pointless hostility.
Maybe I should adapt from "Old enough to know better" and give the grizzled detective angle a spin with "I'm too old for this". ;P

4 years ago

Yeah I think it's just a normal part of restructuring your efforts and priorities...plus naps are so much more appealing now (level 30 here)

4 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.