Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

Thanks for the feedback.
I've updated the threads with a link for each, and added the platform to each thread title.
I don't see why different titles wouldn't be different threads, though. Are you saying one weekend with various free-for-now titles should be treated like a bundle?

1 year ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 1 year ago.

1 year ago

...let's all start listing random games deals individually with no concern for how many threads we make, and no quality control. How would things be then?
Mayanaise

These are specifically limited-time-free-access opportunities -- to me, it's the free weekend that's important [see P.S.]. I see them more as events than as deals, but I didn't think I was supposed to put non-SG events in our Puzzles/Events category here. It would be nice to have a Freebies category (distinct from Deals) that could have both key dumps and free weekends. Sometimes a person just isn't in position to spend money at the moment, and a free weekend event can lift their spirits.

Regarding the separate threads, I think it's useful to have each title as a separate thread so our community members can comment simply on each title, share their experience, ask a question, and maybe start a conversation. With online multiplayer, folks might even make plans to meet.

To be fair, it was a lot of threads this time, for this weekend.

Perhaps the best way would be one thread for the current weekend (not unlike a bundle), with a table for title, platform, end date/time, and discount (if any). I'll mock one up for feedback.

P.S.

Because my D/L speed is very poor, finding out about a free weekend very early is my only shot at playing the game, and I know I'm not the only one in this situation. Rather than whine that no one was posting about free weeks/weekends, I took the task upon myself, once I found a good source for the information.
me

1 year ago

Personally I wouldnt post this at all concidering its not even a deal or free game.

1 year ago

Well, it is a free game, just for a limited time.

And there is a discount in this case, just not an all-time low.

And it's something I want to know about, and some people post thanking me for making them aware of it.

1 year ago

Well, it is a free game, just for a limited time.

That's incorrect, actually. It's a free access, not a free game. The nature of what is free is absolutely important, you can't just change the framing like you're doing. I absolutely assure you the distinction is an important one, within anything from common conceptions to legal perspectives.

A free tour of a house is not a free house, for example, and a demo isn't a free game (to be clear, the actual concepts being related are "game ownership" [as much as we have such, in a post-digital-licensing environment] vs "partial game access", and "free game" is exclusively utilized to refer to ownership, hence the disconnect between your phrasing and reality. Again, the store example is a good one, in that you're having the same experience, just from fundamentally and dynamically different perspectives.)

Effectively, you're not taking the actual content and then relating it to words, but rather taking the words you've been presented and trying to conform the situation to those words. That sort of backwards justification never really works out in a supportable way.

So, again: A demo is not a game. As I noted in my other post, you can definitely have a different valuation on Free Weekend than is typical of SG's other users (or at least, those who have weighed in on such matters previously). And there's no issue (broad spectrum, individual perspectives will always clash) in posting them in general. Just please acknowledge what it is you are actually promoting. And that is demo access.

..And by my opinion it's not even a good demo access, because short time contraints based in an arbitrary time frame for demo access is an approach which is pure bullshit (it's flat out devaluing your time and trying to force you to sacrifice your schedule to fit into their timeframe, all for a frustratingly stressed experience) and, in my opinion, shouldn't be encouraged in general.

But again, that's up to subjective interpretation. This being a deal, however, is not, certainly not while the site gives other avenues of presentation for the content. If you strongly disagree, then you have the option to maintain a singular "Active Free Weekend offers" Deals thread. That fits within the community's expectations and doesn't hinder the functioning of the Deals forum. It'll help those with a similar mindset on the matter as yourself, while still being respectful to every one else.

Conversely, it'd be much appreciated if you didn't have three active threads for questionable offers in the Deals thread at once, at least while multiple suitable alternative approaches exist. I've missed so many awesome Deals just because I didn't have the time to look closer at the Deals forum, and thereby didn't realize I needed to set aside additional time for an actual Deal, all due to unnecessary Deals clutter. It's a bit frustrating, honestly. :S

TL;DR version: See my other post's TL;DR.

1 year ago*

Demos aren't deals. Putting aside that they don't meet the criteria of a deal by common conceptions (you don't retain any benefit, there is no provision of meaningful service at no cost, and there is no savings in cost), demos are not deals. Full stop. Let me repeat it: Demos are not deals. Just to be sure, let's go over that again: Demos are not deals. Just, no.

For F2P games and demos (including free weekends), General (covering SG, any elements related to SG and its community, Steam, and gaming in general) is the associated category. For your concept of a "Freebies" category, that'd be the Events / Puzzles category; But it's not especially suitable for these kind of offers as, on top of not being deals, they're also not meaningful events (at least as it relates to a broad perspective, niche individual perspectives may certainly differ).

As far as the multiple threads, that's a hard expectation on SG for any common occurance- that can be promotions from a specific site (note how there's a dedicated Amazon Prime Gaming thread, for example), or concept. Else, spam gets absurd- especially when referring to the mention of F2P games or free weekends, which individually can quickly generate thousands of threads in just a moment.

Generally speaking, if it's not a free game, a free (or heavily discounted game-related) service which either saves you money or leaves you with a permanent benefit, or a game bundle or comparable discount, then it shouldn't be getting its own thread. You can certainly push back against that based on your own valuations, and obviously there are times when the info just doesn't flow smoothly to SG in a way that makes it easy to combine it all into a single thread, but do please appreciate the spam effect your individual posts may be having.

And here's where it absolutely turns against your approach: Don't spam the Deals thread. Some of us only have 20 seconds on our typical login to check the site for important, potentially time-sensitive information, and we only look quickly at the Deals listing on the site's front page in that time span. If you're cluttering out other Deals, you may be fucking over other site users, just due to how simply the site handles its Deals section. And if someone does end up troubling other users for the sake of demos, and does so intentionally.. then, well, the description I would use for such a person would not be a polite one.

TL;DR version: Please move these threads to General.

1 year ago*

Here's a draft of the table combining the Free Weekends ( to be put in General ):

Game Title Platform Pricing End Date
Far Cry 6 Ubisoft -67% Dec 4th, 2022
Battlefield 2042 Steam -67% Dec 5th, 2022
Hell Let Loose Steam -33% Dec 5th, 2022
Witch It! Steam -75% Dec 5th, 2022
Rainbow 6 Siege Ubisoft -67% Dec 8th, 2022
1 year ago

Closed 1 year ago by Fitz10024.