Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1949)

Based on the novel of the same name by Mark Twain, this musical fantasy comedy is about an american mechanic who bumps his head and wakes up in arthurian England. Fun, entertaining movie. The musical numbers also fit better than in other musicals I recently watched. Looking at you, The Girl Next Door (1953)! Good cast and plot.

Watched this yesterday evening but forgot to post this.

3 years ago

The Bad Seed (1956)

Very good movie, really interesting story. Good performances and atmosphere. It's pretty similar to The Omen (1976). Both feature an evil child, even though the 8 year old girl in this one isn't as satanic as Damien in The Omen. She does kill a kid from her class for a penmanship medal, burns the caretaker to death and confesses to the murder of an old neighbour, though.
The endings are also different. But yeah, it would definitely make a great double feature with The Omen.

3 years ago

The Babysitter: Killer Queen

A slap in the face for fans of the first movie. The first one was great, sexy, funny. This one has unnecessary and stupid character "twists", more and shittier gore/visual effects and a disappointing ending. Watch the first one. Enjoy it. Pretend there's only one.

3 years ago

Hollywoodland (2006)

A fictionalized account of the circumstances surrounding the death of George Reeves, the first Superman actor. Great performances, especially by Ben Affleck as Reeves (which technically makes him the only actor to play both Superman and Batman), Diane Lane and Adrien Brody. Good soundtrack. Very entertaining movie.

3 years ago

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

The book this movie is adapted from came out in 1966 and it feels like something that would be written in the '60s. But adapting it in 1970 feels pretty before its time. Would have expected something like this to come out maybe in the mid '80s. Very interesting story about a supercomputer that has become sentient. Or as you might say today "it quickly developed into an ASI - an artificial super intelligence. Good performances. Definitely ahead of its time.

3 years ago*

Communion (1989)

Alien horror-drama starring Christopher Walken. (If that alone doesn't your curiousity then I don't know what will.) And it's a very Christopher Walken movie at that. If you've watched other movies of him and then seen someone do an impression of him and you wonder "he's not that over the top", watch this movie, because here he definitely is. Creepy atmosphere, good soundtrack, effects and a very
over the top performance by Christopher Walken himself. Very fun and entertaining.

3 years ago

The Holy Mountain (1973)

Beautiful cinematography and set-design, this may be one of the most visually stunning movies I've ever seen. Full of symbolism. Definitely unlike anything I've ever seen! Often pretty surreal and with not a lot of story, this may not be a movie for everyone. In fact, it's way more of an experience than a movie. Sometimes also bizarelly funny. "I've conquered ze holy mountain horizontally!" And then that ending. The great secret is: This is a movie. WTF?
What an experience. But again, definitely not for everyone. Some might find it boring and pretentious, others might not like seeing all the gore and excessive nudity.

So after recently watching Dune (1984) and now having watched my first Jodorowsky movie (don't worry, El Topo (1970) is already on my watchlist), I'm even more excited to watch Jodorowsky's Dune (2013) at some point.

3 years ago

Hustlers (2019)

Surprisingly good movie. This easily could've been a male fantasy movie, but instead it was a female story. Wouldn't call it feminist, it just happens to be a story involving and centered on women. It's not really targeted towards me, but I still enjoyed it. The story was told as it was. The main characters weren't heroes, but neither were they villains. It felt real.

3 years ago

Gerald's Game (2017)

Watched this yesterday evening. Still pretty good, but doesn't come close to the book.

3 years ago

Get Carter (1971)

Pretty good movie, great Michael Caine character. If you're a fan of his work, definitely watch this one. Good story, very entertaining.

3 years ago

The Lords of Salem (2012)

The movie itself looks pretty interesting, good cinematography. The story is good and so are the performances. But overall it's just not as good as I thought
it would be.

3 years ago

Witchfinder General (1968)

Pretty good movie, very entertaining. Starring Vincent Price (who's delivering a very good performance) and that's always a big plus. Interesting story. Based on real events (the lead character Vincent Price is portraying did actually exist. The real Matthew Hopkins executed more than 300 people during his two or three years of '"witch hunting". Considering that 500 people in total were executed for witchcraft in England between the late 15th and late 18th centuries, it means that Hopkins was responsible for two-thirds of these executions during a period of three years. That's should give you some perspective.) Very entertaining! Highly recommended if you like Vincent Price and/or '60s horror movies. (Watched this yesterday, but forgot to post it again.)

3 years ago

Murder by Death (1976)

Great cast, pretty funny. It's a parody on the genre after all. All of the characters are stereotypes, based on famous detective characters of the past. I really don't like Peter Sellers' racist caricature based on Charlie Chan, and already racist stereotype of the 30s and 40s. This movie could've been so much better. The ensemble cast is star-studded with fantastic actors, who have almost all passed away since then. Sadly this movie was over-the-top silly and, like I already mentioned, pretty racist by today's standards. Could've been way funnier than it was. It's entertaining, but it's hard to ignore Peter Sellers. So yeah, it wasn't horrible, but not good either. I'm not really a fan of it. I would've rather watched a more serious whodunnit with that cast. The last 20 minutes or so where good. Lots of interesting twists. Didn't make the whole movie very good, though. Overall it was a good movie with problems.

3 years ago

3 years ago

Seoul Station (2016)

Pretty good, seemed very realistic. Doesn't come close to Train to Busan, which this movie is a prequel to, but Train to Busan is one of the greatest zombie movies of all time for a reason. This one was good, had a cool animation style and interesting characters and an entertaining story, but that's it.

3 years ago

Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead (1995)

Surprisingly good movie. Great cast delivering very good performances, interesting story.

3 years ago

Four Lions (2010)

Hilarious dark comedy about a group of homegrown terrorist jihadis from Sheffield, England. Way funnier than I thought it would be. Very good performances (especially by Riz Ahmed) as inept, incompetent wannabe terrorists. Surprising A-list actor cameo by Benedict Cumberbatch as Negotiator. This movie may not be for everyone, though. Some might think this is offensive but I think it's funny because it makes fun of jihad.

3 years ago

Mother (2009)

Another fantastic Bong Joon-Ho movie. More like Memories of Murder (2003) than his other movies. Very entertaining. The plot follows a mother who, after her intellectually disabled son is accused of the murder of a young girl, attempts to find the true killer in order to get her son freed. No matter what it costs. Great story, amazing performances. Definitely check this one out! A must-see!

3 years ago

Day off from work yesterday so I decided to rewatch Wholly Moses. Yes I still have an actual dvd player.

I forgot how much fun that movie was. Dudley Moore at his finest, which is as usual. And John Ritter as the devil makes it even funnier.

3 years ago*

Bringing Out the Dead (1999)

Directed by Martin Scorsese and written by Paul Schrader. That alone sounds very good already. And the movie... I didn't know what it was exactly, but it had something that I really quite enjoyed. Very entertaining movie. Good performances too. Not too over-the-top Nic Cage performance. The movie was really quite good. Definitely surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

3 years ago

Didnt see these two mentioned for the past several weeks so :

Countdown - what a predictive bore. Aside all the dumbass cliche characters, it could have been a decent movie if it didnt try to be more then it is. It looks like they had budget for half of the movie but where totally dry for the other half. But those characters - damn, if they had been any more dumber they would have forgotten how to breath. Seriously - ending was predictable and all the actions of characters where followed by a long sigh and comment about them being dumb cows. I give it a low 4 / 10 because I actually didnt fall asleep through it. But if the only memorable thing about it is one background character (and only because you can relate to him) then you have to realize you missed something in the plot or character design. I wouldnt say casting was bad - actors seemed to do a good job, but even gilded toilet seat wont make your morning routine any better. I kind of want to see what they will do with the second movie - will they botch it even more and push out another boring ass movie, just to get some money or will they actually learn from the first one - lets see it then.

You should have left - eeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh. I mean it wasnt as boring and characters werent dumb cows. But it totally slipped my mind the second I turned off the TV. Its unmemorable, but it clicked off the creepy part. It played well in the quality department as well. And it wasnt really that predictable as well. I dont think I can cough up more then 5 / 10 though, just for being as bland as a white chick with uggs waiting for pumpkin spiced coffee at starbucks.

3 years ago*

The Addams family values (The 2nd movie). I enjoyed it!

Stumbled upon the first one on netflix a few weeks ago, which reminded me how much I liked the tv series.

Came across the 2nd movie on tv, and decided to watch it. It was fun, I like their humor

3 years ago

Watch the new animated one. It's like a throwback to the original tv show. I loved it.

3 years ago

Tideland (2005)

Pretty interesting Terry Gilliam movie. It's definitely something unique and special. When a young girls parents both OD, she mentally transfers to a fantasy world she and her doll heads enter magically.
Great performance by a 10 year old Jodelle Ferland. Really more of an experience than a movie, but good.

3 years ago

Yesterday I rewatched The Last Jedi, while I was building the first part of the new Diagon Alley set. And Its still one of my favourite SW movies. Even though I saw its flaws...

3 years ago

How to Talk to Girls at Parties (2017)

Punk sci-fi romantic comedy set in '70s London based on a Neil Gaiman short story. Don't be discouraged by the title, it's not really referencing anything in the movie. I rarely use the word "underrated", but this has a score of 5,7 on imdb for whatever reason and that's definitely too low. (Okay, some people om imdb claim this is "one of them satanic movies" but there's literally nothing satanic in it. It's about british punks and multi-dimension travelling aliens. These people probably don't know what satanic means, to be fair.) I guess you either hate the movie or you love it. Even though I don't think there's a lot too hate in this movie. Good performances, interesting cast, weird and very entertaining story. And the ending was beautiful. Definitely worth checking out!

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.