Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Crumbs (2015)

Very good spanish-ethopian afro-futuristic post-apocalyptic sci-fi film. I think it's the first ethopian movie I've ever seen. Just a bit over an hour long. Great performances, very unique, weird movie. You should watch this, even if it's just for the oddity.

3 years ago

It Follows (2014)

Nice atmosphere, few jumpscares, but they were cool (especially the one that looks like a giant Tony Hawk), interesting story, very good cinematography, lots of memorable shots. Overall not a great movie, but still a pretty entertaining and fun one nonetheless.

3 years ago

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)

First half of the movie is more of a crime thriller, second one is a vampire horror movie. Fantastic performances, very good story, amazing VFX. This movie was fucking great! Has anyone seen the sequels and can tell me if they're worth it? They don't need to be very good, just as crazy and full of vampire killing action as this one.
And maybe someone can also recommend me movies that generally are like this. Switching genre in the middle. Not necessarily from crime thriller to gory horror thriller, but yeah. In general. That was very fun and so entertaining! Can't believe I hadn't seen it yet.

3 years ago

Can't believe I hadn't seen it yet.

I was about to say. Not sure if the spoiler tag is necessary because (at least in my circles) that was a movie everbody saw (or at least heard about) back in the day, but I wasn't sure if it might come across rude ':D

The 2nd and 3rd are almost univerally considered inferior to the original but still quite entertaining and definitely worth checking out in my opinion.

Part 2 has a MUCH stronger B-movie vibe than the first one but it definitely has it's moments and a few familiar faces. But despite having seen it 3+ times (like 5 years ago) I can't recall the exact story as detailled as the first or third so probably the weakest one in the trilogy.

Going by the looks and feel alone the third one again had a considerably larger budget than the second. It does something different and I personally liked it almost as much as the first one.

I don't wanna go into detail but I suppose you could say 2nd and 3rd both have that genre mix thing going on you liked about the first one.

There is also a TV show that's pretty good and brings something fresh to the table but despite the decent quality it didn't manage to hold my attention through the 2nd season.

3 years ago*

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I'll definitely check them out.

3 years ago

Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)

Good movie, interesting story. Very nice cinematography.

3 years ago

Rush

3 years ago

The Whales of August (1987)

Fantastic cast! But it's sad seeing them so old. Lilian Gish, one of the greatest silent movie stars, was 94 when this was filmed. Bette Davis, one of the greatest actresses of all time, was 79 and she was still beautiful for her age. Vincent Price, one of my favourite actors and one of the biggest horror legends of all time was 76. Ann Sothern, another great actress of the Golden Age of Hollywood, was 78 in this movie and apart from her (she passed away in 2001) all the other legendary actors in this movie passed away within a few years after it came out. This movie moved me to tears. It's definitely thought provoking. It makes you think about age, having seen these people young(er) in so many movies and here you see them all close to the end of their lives.
Here's a fun fact about the movie: According to director Lindsay Anderson, one day he said to Lillian Gish, "Miss Gish, you have just given me a perfect close-up." Bette Davis observed, "She should. She invented 'em."

If you're a fan of any of these people, definitely check this one out!

3 years ago*

What an amazing movie. Talk about sunset of the golden era! I would have watched it for any of the actors involved but having them all in the same movie, in such a bittersweet tale with beautiful direction, was a rare gift of the 1980ies.

"Miss Gish, you have just given me a perfect close-up." Bette Davis observed, "She should. She invented 'em."

🤣 Ah Bette! What a clever meanie she was :D

3 years ago

The Devil's Backbone (2001)

It's less of a horror movie and more of a drama with horror elements. Not Guillermo del Toro's best imo, but still very good. He described it as being a sibling film to Pan's Labyrinth, which I can definitely see. They both have some similarities. Very interesting story, good performances, eerie atmosphere. If you're fan of del Toro's work, definitely don't miss out on this one.

3 years ago*

So you're the movie guy of SG. Nice to meet you ;)

Yeah it's not his best but then it's pretty good and that's how high the bar is with Del Toro. Many directors would be happy to have this being the highlight of their career.
Very reminiscent in style to El Orfanato, which was produced by Del Toro but I still preferred El Orfanato
It definitely has strong hints of Pan's Labyrinth and things to come but it falls a little short in the layers that made Pan's such a memorable (and rewatchable) movie.

What's your favorite Del Toro movie so far?

3 years ago

Maybe I am. Maybe I'm just a guy who likes to watch movies. :D
But nice to meet you too.

Yeah, El Orfanato is on my list. Thanks. I'll compare them when I watch that movie.

And my favourite Del Toro movie? Must be Pan's Labyrinth. Just because it came out when I was a teenager and I rewatched it so often because it's unlike anything I've seen at that time. Just such a beautiful movie.

3 years ago*

Pan's Labyrinth. Just because it came out when I was a teenager and I rewatched it so often because it's unlike anything I've seen at that time. Just such a beautiful movie.

Really brilliant on so many levels. I have watched it so much by now, I know all the dialog in Spanish by heart and I don't even speak Spanish.
So much depth in one movie. So many layers and metaphors. Best use of fantasy I have seen in a while, in books or movies too.

3 years ago

Into the Night (1985)

This wasn't as good as I thought it would be, even though it had a good cast. The story was kinda lacking. But for whatever reason there were tons of directors who had a cameo in this movie. 17, in fact. That's a weirdly huge number of famous movie directors to have a cameo in your movie.

I'm a fan of Jeff Goldblum, but this was one of his weaker films in my opinion.

3 years ago

The 2nd 👎

3 years ago

You re next :amazing atmospherere ,scare and good final

3 years ago

Borat - 8/10

3 years ago

Getting ready for the sequel? :D

3 years ago

Yeah actually :D its gotta be 10+ years since the last time i saw Borat :)

3 years ago

Ocean's Eleven

3 years ago

Rocco: Pure Fitness (2020)

3 years ago

Trainwreck (2015)

I only watched this to see Norman Lloyd, the oldest active actor, who was in this movie when he was 100. And surprisingly, apart from Amy Schumer, the cast is even talented and interesting. The plot is mediocre and at over 2 hours, this movie is too long for this kind of story. If you're, like me, curious to see Norman Lloyd's (as of now) latest movie you should watch this. Don't expect to have a good time, though.

3 years ago

The Phantom of the Opera (1925)

Great story (I mean it's The Phantom of the Opera, it's one of the greatest stories of all time.), very good performances, outstanding make-up for 1925 (you know who I'm talking about), that's still shocking almost 100 years later. Keep in mind, this is not even a horror movie. Lon Chaney actually devised his make-up himself. And it was masterful. Great costume design as well. Just look up the Red Death costume from this movie.

Such a great classic! Highly recommended!

3 years ago*

I got to see it on Broadway too. First Broadway show I chose. I was NOT disappointed.

3 years ago

Daisies (1966)

Czechoslovak comedy-drama surrealist film. The story is about two teen girls, both named Marie. They act goofy and play slapstick pranks everywhere they go. They take old guys on dates to see how obnoxious they can act before making them leave. They love food and they definitely aren't afraid to eat. Half of this movie is them going wild on some food. It uses a lot of camera tricks, filters and abstract symbolism for a unique experience. Parts of the movie are black and white, other parts are in colour and still others are tinted to one colour like some old silent movies are. Then there's stuff like that one incredibly unique scene where they cut up the shot they're in into smaller and smaller pieces. Very dadaist and surrealistic without much story, but highly enjoyable. Definitely one of both my favourite czech movies and my favourite surrealistic movies. And it's not very long at almost 75 minutes. Highly recommended! Definitely a masterpiece within its genre!

3 years ago

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
I still like going back to watch it, despite the existence of Jar Jar. I've been binging the Clone Wars on Disney+ so I figured, why not rewatch Episode 1 and 2.

3 years ago

3 years ago

Topper

3 years ago

Hellboy (2019)

I actually wanted to watch the korean movie A Taxi Driver (2017), but I couldn't find it. But I've watched a video where someone mentioned this movie and that they actually liked it, despite its flaws. So I thought I'd give it a chance. And it doesn't even come close to the originals. I would've preferred a third Hellboy movie by Guillermo del Toro back then. But this is better than nothing, I guess. Good character designs, interesting cast, cool vfx, but the story wasn't as good as it could've been. Something's just lacking and that fact makes this a rather mediocre movie overall. It just wasn't good.

3 years ago

Metropolis (1927)

Yes, I know. I'm a bad german. I should've watched this ages ago, but here I am. Watching it now.

A stunning movie! I can't imagine how a moviegoer back then would've reacted to a masterpiece like this. Would they think "this was just silly and a waste of my time" or would they think "this must be the best of those films, I can't imagine there's ever gonna be anything better". This movie is just exceptional in every way! If you're only ever gonna watch a handful of silent films, this should definitely be one of them.

And a little fun fact: This movie takes place in 2026, so in our very near future.

3 years ago*

Coffee and Cigarettes (2003)

Made up of eleven segments about people talking about life while sitting at tables having cigarettes and coffee. And coffee and cigarettes. Even though that's not a healthy meal, as a lot of the characters say. Huge, star-studded cast. Roberto Benigni, Steve Buscemi, Iggy Pop, Tom Waits, Cate Blanchett, Cate Blanchett, Meg White, Jack White, Alfred Molina, Steve Coogan, GZA, RZA, Bill Murray and many more. Most of them playing semi-fictionalized versions of themselves. At one point there's even Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan playing Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan in this movie talking about playing Alfred Molina and Steve Coogan in another movie they could make together.

It is a Jim Jarmusch movie, so it might not be for everyone. I definitely enjoyed the experience, though.

3 years ago

Theater of Blood (1973)

Very good Vincent Price movie where he plays a Shakespearean actor who kills the critics that gave him bad reviews in very poetic ways. Each critic is killed in a different way from a Shakespearean play. Vincent Price's character plays multiple different characters in the movie, all with unique costumes. Definitely a very entertaining movie!

3 years ago

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

2001: A Space Odyssey
My first time seeing it.
A masterpiece of a movie that everyone should see.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.