Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

Deleted

This comment was deleted 11 months ago.

3 years ago

Tag/Riaru onigokko (2015)

It's starting off with a sequence where a deadly gust of wind slices through buses and the pupils and teachers from a girls school sitting in them and then being mainly about the concept of multiple dimensions. But not just the concept of it. Splatter, science-fiction, mystery all combined in a pretty fast-paced movie. And you won't figure out.

They could go a bit lighter on the under-skirt shots, though. (The top keywords for this movie on imdb are "japanese high school girl | upskirt | short skirt | japanese schoolgirl | white panties".) And even though the actresses are all in their mid-20s to early 30s now, it's still a bit much. I came here for the splatter, not for the panties. But in the end it's clear why it's oversexualized like that. Because reasons. I'm not gonna risk you spoiling the movie for yourself and not enjoying it because of that.
But also: I came here for the splatter and got a seemingly multi-dimensional sci-fi action fantasy movie. I definitely got more than what I expected. Beautiful cinematography, especially at the end.
Don't shy back from watching this, just because it seems like a stupid splatter movie. It's so much more than that.

3 years ago

The Mothman Prophecies (2002)

Pretty creepy atmosphere. At first the movie isn't that good, but it gets better shortly after. Very interesting story, based on real events. Good performances. The effects for that bridge collapse sequence were all done in miniature and looked fantastic!

3 years ago*

The Poor Little Rich Girl (1917)

Nice little movie about a 11 year old girl (played by 24 year old Mary Pickford) who's the daughter of rich parents but is just so bored with her life. So when she gets the chance to dress up as a boy and have a mud fight with some kids she happily does so. It's just a wonderful movie about being a child.

And with this movie, I've now watched at least one movie from every year movies were made. Earlier this year I was missing 1952 (for whatever reason; I couldn't believe it myself) and 1917, so I watched a whole week's worth of movies from 1952 (on pages 140 and 141 in this thread) and now I've watched one from 1917. So yeah, that's gotta mean something, right? As some of you might now, I'm kind of a completionist and I technically completed something now. Yay! :D

3 years ago

3 years ago

It's been ages since I've seen it but if you're interested in the matter the 2002 documentary Hashish by Daniel GrΓ€bner was very good.

Probably hard to get ahold of though I'm sure there's some irony in there because I just realized it's a german or potentially austrian film.

3 years ago*

Never heard of this document so thanks for the info.

If you're interested in the matter I have a recommendation for you: Cocaine Cowboys & Cocaine Cowboys: Reloaded.

3 years ago

Not what I expected judging from the name but yeah, that sounds definitely interesting. Gotta check out if my streaming site has it. Thanks! πŸ˜‰

3 years ago

Bones (2001)

This is the worst-rated movie I've watched in a while at only 4,2/10 on IMDb. It's cheesy, silly, and not scary at all. But it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Not a great story and all, but it's fun. Even if you only watch it for Snoop Dogg's performance. Overall better than I expected, although not by very much.

3 years ago*

The Promise - 6/10

3 years ago

Ma (2019)

Not as good as I expected. It takes roughly two thirds into the movie until something actually happens and then that is pretty good, but still not great. So yeah, the movie had potential and Octavia Spencer's great performance is by far the best thing about it but that alone couldn't overshadow the many flaws it has overall.

3 years ago

Inherit the Wind (1960)

Fantastic performances, very interesting story. Based on the famous Scopes "Monkey Trial" which took place in Tennessee in 1925. You have probably heard of it before, even if you just know it from the Simpsons. It's the one about the teacher teaching the evolution theory in school and then he got fired because he should only teach creationism. Yeah, so this movie is about the trial. And it had a great cast who delivered truly fantastic performances. Over 2 hours long, but such a fascinating movie that those 2+ hours pass faster than you think. Definitely recommended!

3 years ago

Look Who's Back (2015)
Hitler travels to 2012. it's a slightly dark comedy.
p.s: movie is in german

3 years ago

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019)

Still looking as fantasic and real as the first one, the details are just incredible. Weathered looking lego pieces just like the ones everyone of us played with. You almost don't believe it's completely 3D generated. Must be every kid's fantasy. I wish there would've been a movie like this when I was still a kid playing with lego. So many fun references to other movies. Very meta. Good story. Definitely a fun movie for kids and adults alike.

3 years ago*

The Forty-Year-Old Version (2020)

Couldn't really relate to this one, since I'm neither close to 40, nor a black female playwright who raps. That said, it wasn't bad that I couldn't relate. Sometimes you have to watch movies you don't relate to at all to broaden your horizons. I happily did that with this movie. Very good performances, captivating story, great cinematography. Recommended!

3 years ago

Finally got to see 1917.
Wow. Just..... Wow. The movie was just amazing. Stellar cinematography. Excellent acting, And very moving performances.

I feel honored to have been able to see this masterpiece.

3 years ago

Another son of sam...

A disaster

3 years ago

Apostle (2018)

Interesting story, pretty nice gore, good performances. Creepy atmosphere, heightened by a very good soundtrack. Set in 1905, but the whole time it felt like the setting was earlier than that. It's about an evil religious cult on a remote island with a pretty big, pretty dark secret. And our main character attempts to rescue his sister from them. Good mix between gorey and scary. Great effects.

3 years ago

Det sjunde inseglet - 7/10

3 years ago

The Arrival (1996)

Lots of very good effects for the time, some might seem silly now, but overall they're above average. Interesting story. Charlie Sheen's performance was so so, mostly good but at some points he definitely overacted. Well, overall it's a pretty entertaining movie with a more or less original concept. Shame that it bombed when it was released, just because Independence Day was released around the same time.

3 years ago

Have you seen Arrival (2016) yet? Not your average Sci-fi movie in my opinion.

3 years ago

Yes, about 4 years ago. Great depiction of the aliens and I really enjoyed the "language" barrier. I mean we wouldn't know how aliens would communicate. But most probably our writing system (no matter what language, we all follow pretty much the same rules) would be nothing like theirs.

3 years ago

Yes, about 4 years ago.

Well... if you had seen it earlier than that I would have wondered if you had learned the alien language from the movie that changes your perception of time πŸ˜‚ (I looked it up on Wikipedia earlier because I was fuzzy on some details.)

But also one of the small things I liked about the movie was you see those two people working together and having a good rapport with each other, which makes it fun to watch them interact and suddenly near the end of the movie one of them goes: "You see? THIS! This is EXACTLY the reason we broke up!" I honestly did not expect that πŸ˜…

3 years ago*

Glory (1989)

Very good movie. Great cast (Denzel Washington, Matthew Broderick, Morgan Freeman, Cary Elwes, and many more) delivering really good performances. It feels a bit weird, though, that a story about black soldiers focuses so much on their white Colonel. Not that I didn't like Broderick's character, but the story shouldn't be THIS focused on him.

3 years ago

+1 AMAZING film.

3 years ago

The Limehouse Golem (2016)

Surprisingly good, very interesting story, cool setting, interesting characters played by a good cast. I enjoyed this one a lot. Nice gore effects, too.
Bill Nighy's role was actually given to Alan Rickman, but he became ill and then passed away in january of 2016. Would've been great to see him in this one. Not that I have anything against Bill Nighy, but I would've loved to see Alan Rickman in that role.

3 years ago*

Badlands (1973)

Absolutely one of the greatest directional debuts ever. Someone once described it as "Moonrise Kingdom with more murder" and yeah, that's a pretty good description. Beautiful cinematography, great performances, captivating story. Simply a great movie. Highly recommended! And it's even based on real events. Sadly a bit short at just over 90 minutes. Still made almost made me feel sad that I can't watch the movie again for the first time. Right after I watched it for
the first time.

3 years ago

It Comes at Night (2017)

Interesting, suspenseful atmosphere, but that's kinda it. Not much of a story. Not much happening. Very slow. A few scarier scenes, but that's it. Oh, and nothing comes at night. Not very good.

3 years ago

Was about to take this film off my Netflix list...when I saw that it's not even on my list but 'The Night Comes For Us' instead ^^

3 years ago

El jugador de ajedrez 7/10

3 years ago

Keanu (2016)

Pretty funny Key and Peele buddy comedy with a very cute cat. Surprisingly fun and entertaining. Nothing special, but it's decent if you just want some light entertainment. (Forgot to post this yesterday.)

3 years ago

Queen of Katwe - 8/10

3 years ago

Madeline's Madeline (2018)

The description of this movie is "A theatre director's latest project takes on a life of its own when her young star takes her performance too seriously." and that's pretty much all the plot there is. It's also about mental illness in a way. Very well acted.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.