Here we go, I'll start.

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark (2010) - This movie is a joke. At first it's interesting, then it's boring and then it's just funny/pathetic. And they put it in a "horror" genre. Words are not sufficient. Nosferatu is turning in his grave. 3/10

1 decade ago*

Comment has been collapsed.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)

Definitely one of the best modern (SPOILER: vampire) movies. The atmosphere is great, the soundtrack is amazing, the story is really good. Definitely go check this out!

3 years ago*

Force Majeure (2014)

I thought this would be a disaster movie, but instead I was positively surprised by it being a really good drama about a young family. Can't write a lot more, because that would spoil stuff. But the cinematography was great and so were the performances, really human.

3 years ago

Nosferatu (1922)

Kicked off my Spooky Season movie watching in style. The use of lighting and on-location filming to set the atmosphere is really quite impressive, especially considering how young the medium was at the time this produced.

3 years ago

Now watch Shadow of the Vampire (2000), which is about a fictionalized making-of of Nosferatu (1922) where Max Schreck is an actual vampire. Willem Dafoe plays Schreck and John Malkovich plays F.W. Murnau. And also Nosferatu (1979) with Klaus Kinski portraying the vampire. It's different than the original, but still a very good spin on the tale.

3 years ago

Thanks for the recommendations. I've added both to my future watch list. Very interested in Shadow of the Vampire in particular.

3 years ago

Possible Worlds (2000)

Interesting premise, but didn't live up to what it could've been.

3 years ago

I'm Not There (2007)

Some might say this is a masterpiece. And if I was a a big Bob Dylan fan, this would be one for me as well. Don't get me wrong, I like Bob Dylan and I still think that this movie was very good and a great experience. But an actual big fan of his would appreciate this movie more, I think. Definitely check this out, no matter what!

3 years ago

Ravenous (1999)

With every Robert Carlyle movie I watch I'm becoming a bigger fan of him. Trainspotting, T2 Trainspotting, 28 Weeks Later, Yesterday, not Eragon, and now this one. What a performance he delivered in this movie. And what a movie it is! It's a cross between a vampire movie and a cannibalism movie and it's just so good! Guy Pearce is also very good in this. And that soundtrack. Highly recommended!

3 years ago

With every Robert Carlyle movie I watch I'm becoming a bigger fan of him.

Agreed. I probably first saw him in Trainspotting but while I loved his character because of his completly anti-social, Fuck You-attitude he did not leave a lasting impression on me probably because he doesn't have enough screentime, to the point I didn't remember I had seen him before when I watched Stargate Universe. (which has a very different tone than anything else in the Stargate franchise) I became a big fan of his watching Stargate Universe and years later watched Ravenous with some buddies.

I'm currently rewatching it after you reminded me that movie exists, probably almost a decade after I first saw it and I knew it was good but DAMN I forgot how frackin' amazing that movie is. Right now I'm only ~ 1 h in, but I'll finish it later in the evening.

3 years ago

Vampires vs. the Bronx (2020)

Lots of little more or less hidden references to vampires. Like the name Murnau Productions (you know, like the director of Nosferatu), who have Vlad the Impaler as their logo. One of the main characters reads Salem's Lot, a vampire horror novel by Stephen King, when we first see him. Frank Polidori, the Murnau Productions frontman shares his last name with John William Polidori, the guy who wrote the first vampire story in 1816. And many more. It's fun finding all these little vampire references if you know where to look. Overall it's nothing especially new and original, but still very fun and entertaining. And at its core it's also about gentrification.

3 years ago

Enola Holmes (2020)

Good performances, especially by Millie Bobby Brown, but the story wasn't great.

3 years ago

Damn really? This was on my to-watch list. Still worth watching or is it more something to watch if there's nothing else to watch?

3 years ago

It's not bad, but also not outstanding. Go watch it if you got it on your watchlist already, but don't expect a masterpiece.

3 years ago

I really enjoyed it, but like Curry said your mileage may vary!

3 years ago

Alive (2020)

This movie, #Alive (2020) was definitely a pretty good korean zombie movie. Very good story and everything. Definitely recommended if you want to watch an above average zombie movie.

3 years ago*

1408 (2007)

Really good movie, great story with a chilling atmosphere, very good performances, cool effects. Highly recommended!

3 years ago*

Possessor (2020)

Stunning cinematography, stylish shots. Pretty gorey. Very interesting story. Great performances. Another movie to add to the "Sean Bean dies in this one" list and overall very good. Definitely not for everyone, but if you want to watch it, you should.

3 years ago

Since I've spent the past couple days just watching films back to back, here's my list from this binge watch:

Parasite (2019/2020)
The korean film that swept up awards at the start of the year. Watched it, then watched it again straight after, I am speechless after it. Just such a complex, incredibly well directed, beautifully acted and it's just fantastic. I didn't think it could live up to the hype I'd heard around it, I went into watching it 100% blind and I feel like that is the best way to watch it for the first time. I didn't even know what genre it was.

Abigail (2019)
Russian (in english) sci-fi steampunk film, audio wasn't the best, for some actors it sounded like it was dubbed in english. Budget was very low for the film, but despite that, the visual effects where among some of the best in any film I've seen, it was just so beautiful. Story was middling, but the universe and magic where great. Filming locations as well where beautiful.

Doctor Sleep (2019)
I love the original shining, and I love most of King's works. Never read the novel for this, so I went into the film with some pause. Don't go into this thinking it's like the original, it's a lot more "hollywood-ified". Huge action scenes, hardly any downtime, incredibly fast paced plot and honestly, it feels like it goes nowhere. It feels like they've tried to create a whole new universe ontop of an existing one, and it's ovbious where the duct tape is. Some really conflicting scenes as well in it which makes the point to the story and some characters feel useless. (The final scene being one if you know what I mean).

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (2020)
Suprisingly pretty good. It's an official film which gives it some extra weight, cameos of previous winners appear for a scene as well. It's not supposed to be a serious film, it does use some cringe humour which personally, isn't something I enjoy, but there was a couple good jokes in there still aside from that. Songs are honestly better then the majority of songs submitted for the real event nowadays which is nice, some really catchy ones in there. Pierce Brosnan attempting an icelandic accent is one of the best things I've ever heard as well. Graham Norton being the commentator of the in-movie event was great fun too, just as sarcastic as he is with the real event, but this time he's allowed to swear without getting in trouble haha.

Antebellum (2020)
I went into this knowing nothing other then it was a low-rated horror genre film, that category is something of a guilty pleasure of mine, needless to say my expectations where low. The twists and turns presented in the film came as a large suprise, the plot was decently complex and it made (mostly) sense at the end. I feel like it tried to be a few too many things at once though which ended up detracting from the main storyline, but overall was a fun watch. Reminded me a lot of what Get Out tried to do, and I feel like this film might have done it a bit better imho.

3 years ago

Oh yeah, Doctor Sleep was a lot different from the novel. I definitely recommend you read it.

3 years ago

Ah good to hear. Need to read If It Bleeds first but planed on picking up Doctor Sleep when I can.

3 years ago

Altered States (1980)

Damn, this was definitely an experience. Great effects for the time, interesting story. Pretty surreal and bizarre sci-fi-body-horror. There's still a bit of room for improvement, but it's still pretty good as is.

3 years ago*

Dick Johnson Is Dead (2020)

It's a fantastic documentary. Kirsten Johnson turns the act of grieving into a celebration of living. Feels very personal. What a wonderful movie, and it's a real tearjerker. Definitely one of
the best documentaries I've seen in ages. Highly recommended!

3 years ago

Hubie Halloween (2020)

It's not nearly as bad as people keep saying. Nice, funny story. And I mean, Adam Sandler was able to work with a lot of his frequent collaborators/friends. So it definitely wasn't bad. A bit silly, yes. But also pretty fun. If you're in for a bit of lighter humour, watch this.

3 years ago

I plan on watching that soon!

3 years ago

Alive (2020)

This was a south korean horror zombie movie. I personally liked Train to Busan better for the sad plot, but this movie was quirky and cute in it's own ways. I liked it a lot, definitely recommended

3 years ago

Nothing can come close to Train to Busan, but yeah, this one was fun.

3 years ago

Nothing can come close to Train to Busan.

Maybe I'm just suicidal with Corona and all that going on but I'm going to the movies and watching Peninsula today 😄 I have to say I'm quite excited.

I haven't seen Seoul Station yet so I hope they can consistantly hold that level.

3 years ago

So how was it? :D

3 years ago

I quite liked it but not as much as Train to Busan. What I found so great about Train to Busan was that it had a very unique setting I had not seen before and while it did have some extremely cool scenes everything felt very grounded and made perfect sense if you didn't overthink it. This one has a few of those typical Horror movie moments where you go "Why is he doing that?!?! I'm not trained for this situation and even I know not to do that."

3 years ago

Yeah, I've heard some people say Peninsula was just too "americanized". Way more of an average zombie movie and way less of what made Train to Busan so outstanding in the genre.

3 years ago

Little Monsters (2019)

Fun little zombie horror-comedy. Nothing very new, but it has a decent story with interesting characters, good performances (especially by Lupita Nyong'o), very funny comedy and interesting zombies.

3 years ago

The Last Man on Earth (1964)

Very good Vincent Price movie based on the 1954 novel "I am Legend" by Richard Matheson. (Yes, the one "I am Legend" with Will Smith is also based on.) Very interesting story and good performances, definitely recommended if you've seen I am Legend and even if you haven't. The the behavior of these creatures (lumbering around half-mindlessly and feeding off the living) actually were the inspiration zombies in George Romero's Night of the Living Dead, that came out 4 years later.
Great ending.

3 years ago

FANTASTIC movie. GREAT choice. Vincent Price was brilliant in this.

3 years ago

In Bruges (2008)

Rewatched this today. I forgot just how good of a movie this is!

3 years ago

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973)

Very creepy atmosphere and the amazing soundtrack is definitely a big part of that. It was a made-for-TV movie back then, but it's definitely of higher quality than what you'd expect for a usual movie made for TV. At just 1h 14min it feels way too short, though. They made a remake of this in 2010, maybe I'll check that out someday, too.

3 years ago

Pawn Sacrifice - 7/10

3 years ago

Onibaba (1964)

This is a fantastic movie! Great story, stunning cinematography. I usually don't do this, but someone on imdb put in perfect words what I think of this movie, so I'm copying their review here:

"Onibaba is one of the cinema's masterpieces of horror, perhaps because the horrors it depicts are appallingly real and because the director, Kaneto Shindo, has succeeded in making a film that is truly a work of art. It is set in 14th century Japan where two women, a mother and her daughter-in-law, kill wounded samurai, steal their armour and bury them in a deep hole in the middle of a sea of grass.

It's a visually stunning film, shot in widescreen and in black and white by the great cinematographer Kiyomi Kuroda and death permeates almost every scene, (either death or sex and here they are intrinsically linked). The women are monsters but only because war and the male-dominated society in which they are forced to survive has made them so. Shindo's extraordinary film is as much a critique of medieval Japan as it is an outright horror film. Praise, too, for Hikaru Hayashi's tremendous score, which like the best scores in the best horror films, adds considerably to the sense of dread."

Highly recommended!

3 years ago

Bubba Ho-Tep (2002)

Such a fun movie. Bruce Campbell as an aging Elvis in a retirement home, suddenly having to fight against a mummy wearing a cowboy outfit, sucking people's souls out their assholes. Yep, you read that right. Great performances, very fun story, cool effects.

3 years ago

Braindead (1992)

Some of you might know this movie under the title "Dead Alive", because that's what it's called in the United States. Hilariously bloody and over-the-top gorey. So much in fact, that it's banned in multiple countries, including Germany. But luckily the internet is international. ;) One of the, if not THE goriest movie I've ever seen. Even as someone who loves horror movies and gore, at some parts I thought "this might be a bit excessive". All the effects are outstanding, though. So if you want to watch something INCREDIBLY bloody and gorey this halloween season, this might just be it. The story is also pretty entertaining, but of course it gets mostly overshadowed by the extreme gore and the fantastic practical effects. Maybe don't eat anything while watching this.

(Try to find the uncut version if you really want to watch this. I don't know what was cut in other versions.)

3 years ago

+1 on that. ESPECIALLY the uncut version.

3 years ago

Why you had to remind me?
That vanilla pudding scene was soooo disgusting

😨

3 years ago

The Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Went in almost full blind after a recommendation, and it was super entertaining. Silly for a James Bond movie, serious for a comedy, but somehow ended up being a ballsy, cool mix of action and comedy.

3 years ago

Sign in through Steam to add a comment.